Hey Veeky Forums, I got a shitty liberal arts degree in college (I know, pic related)...

Hey Veeky Forums, I got a shitty liberal arts degree in college (I know, pic related). Is it possible to become proficient in trading stocks, finance, etc. without going to school for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

babypips.com/school
youtube.com/watch?v=ShdmErv5jvs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>liberal arts degree
>writes like a fogt

Try again sweetie
you dropped out of your AA

>Thinks finance classes teach how to trade stocks or help at all
>MFW so did I, and now I have a worthless finance degree

>Implying I care about using proper grammar on Veeky Forums

Really? I assumed that finance would have been extremely helpful

Learn to program.

It's not. They teach you corporate finance. It's all bullshit.

If you want to learn to trade, you gotta learn yourself.

I have no education in finance whatsoever.
I took two microeconomics classes for my gen ed requirement.
I'm up 60% on my Robincuck account since July.

Just read Investopedia and have an above-average IQ.

They dont teach trading in schools. You would have to pay $100k for a hedge fund manager to give a 60min lesson. In case of a world class trader with verified track record. And even they they would refuse as nobody wants to share information that is actually valauble in trading

Is it possible? Sure.

Can you do it? In all likelihood no.

Is not Judy a matter of learning basic finance. Stock picking is an art more than anything, and it takes discipline and lots of due diligence. You also have to study the market and understand why other market makers do the things they do.

The long and the short is you'll never be wealthy off stock picks made on just your own money, unless you're already wealthy, in which case why handle your own funds? Just pay a highly rated advisor to do it for you.

If university professors knew how to trade, they wouldn't be teaching finance classes.

>Can you do it? In all likelihood no.
Bullshit. Trading isn't hard. Most people can't do it because they're broke or stupid, but anyone with common sense and $30k to risk can make a non-trivial income swing trading.

What language? Python? What can I look into if I have a background in CS?

Especially in crypto, where the swings and volatility are extreme.

Python is a good one.
Quantopian gives you a nice interface to play around in, but if you're totally clueless about trading you'll want to head to Investopedia and read up on everything.
Also, use this tutorial: babypips.com/school
It's filled with heinously unfunny attempts at humor, but it will teach you basic technical analysis pretty quickly. It's geared towards Forex swing-trading, but TA will work with almost anything on just about any timeframe.

Well, that is true average professor salary is prolly 1% of a fund manager (and there are plenty of clueless managers too!) but as said above it's corporate finance not trading they teach. You might have a class or two by a complete clueless professor teaching investing but that's about it. There are plenty of students taking finance classes that have never bought a single stock in their lives. The degree might come handy when applying for typical jobs but that's about it

I know. I was just agreeing with you. (I posted the part about corporate finance, and I have a finance degree.)

Thanks m8

Uni is a scam.

>Is it possible to become proficient in trading stocks, finance, etc. without going to school for it?
Yes it's possible. But I've never met you, but I'm gonna assume you can't

cope

If you're of that mindset. There are billionaires who have studied history and made most of their money through investing. Investing is pretty much Signal to Noise ratios with a healthy dose of Social Psychology to make it all the more riveting.

A lot of people like Francois Pinault, Bernie Eccestone, and Kirk Kerkorian never even went to university but made billions for themselves.

u mention signal to noise ratios, do u think trigonometry (in terms of trig graphs) is very applicable to trading?

youtube.com/watch?v=ShdmErv5jvs

>just got out of finance class
>all the problems involve bonds with market rates that haven't been seen for years

What planet is this useful

Interesting

Finance helps you to become a wagecuck, corporate stuff

uni can't teach you trading ffs

You used to be able to. I knew a guy who went from delivering pizzas to trading on CMEX in a firm. It used to be the case that if you could show a good portfolio, they would put you on a trading desk.

But now all the progressive firms do algorithmic trading. You need to know R at the very least.

I study Business, and took a Finance Module, It's literally all Corporate Finance. I asked if we learn how to trade and the professor said "I don't want to teach students how to trade, as if they go and lose all their savings, they'll want to blame me"

CF is usually included in every management/economics course, Finance degrees have many more classes than just CF

I know, but the professor was a finance teacher and taught different finance modules, I was just saying his philosophy on teaching students to trade.

yes but it's like that everywhere, you don't learn trading at uni, you learn about the instruments, the theories etc.

it is certainly useful all around, but of course you can learn much more about trading by yourself, learn by doing

yes, get an entry level job at a bank in business/operations, learn to code and work your way up

unlikely - if you want to be proficient at trading then you'll have more chance if you get trained at a prop firm/hedge fund - generally requires a STEM degree from a good school

nah - mathematics, statistics, machine learning are useful for trading these days even if semi-discretionary

>They dont teach trading in schools.

not strictly true - you can get a good start at various top US schools

likewise in the UK: Oxford, Imperial and UCL all have algo trading or market microstructure courses available

>basic technical analysis
>Forex swing-trading

puke

don't fall for this meme OP

What are you talking about? His writing was fine.

Most people who 'trade' are running a martingale without realizing it. They'll make steady profits for years and then unexplicably lose everything. Best way to invest is probably the warren buffet/ value based style

>But now all the progressive firms do algorithmic trading. You need to know R at the very least.

nah - R, Matlab, Python are used more for systematic trading research

algo trading requires low latency - C++ or FPGA programming skills are required

You are probs in first finance class

It's really there just to get your head around the basic arithmetic, the concept of investing money etc

this is delusional and likely based on a small sample size

Bullshit. There is a lot of approaches for stocks valuation, the truth is most of them are really stupid and inaccurate, because price behavior is a random walk. Just think about algorithmic trading and dark pools for a moment. You cannot predict that.

Should I major in Stochastics and Data Science or in Statistics?

Neither. Major in CS, EE, CE so you can build a product/service and get rich.

Statistics will not be useful until you get a PhD and by then you'll be so dettached from reality that at best you'll be a cog in the wheel for some hedge fund/bank. You'll also want to kill yourself.

Does this apply the the Futures Exchange

It's alright, but more accounting than it is ever finance, and as the anons here have been eager to point, that finance never skirts outside of the corporate side of things. Great for becoming a financial director, but not much else.

Yes, but you'll fuck up a lot. You need to know algrebra and statistics. You need to be able to like reading.