Leanings

Do people on /biz lean fiscally to the right or left? Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

successharbor.com/percentage-businesses-fail-09092015/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

THEY LEAN TO THE MOON HURR DURR!!

Ethereum breh

People on Veeky Forums are all high school and freshman in college, so it should come as no surprise to see that most Veeky Forumsraelis are lefties.

Indeed, they are all left leaning weanies who have no money. Yet, once they get babby's first big boy paycheck, I promise you they will turn into an anarcho-capitalist in a matter of minutes.

Anyways I lean right. You might call me a classical liberal/whig/business conservative or whatever. Who gives a fuck about labels. I just lean right.

Vehemently Socially Progressive but pretty Economically Liberal/Darwinian

lean left.

I'm an employer, I know the average working person's time is worth 5-10x what they actually get paid. I've been on welfare and I've owned businesses. I realize both classes of citizen are parasites.

Isn't practically everbody in trading a rightie?

not everyone on Veeky Forums trades.

business people in general lean slightly more right than the rest of the population though. The right charges less taxes.

>I know the average working person's time is worth 5-10x what they actually get paid
So?
The business takes all the risks, buys all the tools.
If communists actually believe they are entitled to the full fruits of their labor they should start their own damn businesses if it's so easy and risk free

>The business takes all the risks, buys all the tools.
I sell most of the risk to insurers.
I do buy the tools, but that part of overhead is miniscule.

The only real risk I personally take is failure from my own incompetence or bad luck. Ironically if I fuck up it hurts my employees way more than it hurts me.

when you look at what I provide them, it's probably not worth 50-90% of their money.

I'm not complaining, I'm just not going to pretend I'm not leeching off other people's labor. I make my living primarily off other people's work. I make far more than they do, and I provide relatively little in return. Primarily a legal structure and a business that continues to employ people year after year even if one person fails.

>they should start their own damn businesses if it's so easy and risk free
I try to train people to do exactly that.

ironically it's your attitude that stops them. They overestimate the risks and underestimate the gains.

80% of businesses fail within 18 months.

not even close.

successharbor.com/percentage-businesses-fail-09092015/

>They overestimate the risks

>Either a motivational speaker or a consultant
Man, I want YOUR job

You fell over a few times when you learned to walk.
Schumacher lost a few championships before he won 5 in a row, 7 all up.
Steve Jobs had to bail out Pixar and NeXT multiple times before he had the management skills needed to turn Apple around when he came back.

You have to accept the chance of failure, with the attitude that like evolution, eventually you'll get it right.

>Man, I want YOUR job
I'm just a contractor. I train people to do what I do because they will either be the 'competitor' I hire when I need work done or because when I decide to cash out they'll be my buyer.

Not everyone is cut out to work for themselves, and for that fraction I provide a useful service. But if you can navigate compliance and administration there's no reason you shouldn't be making the big bucks.

The simple truth is most people don't want the extra work and responsibility of running a business even if it means getting paid a lot more. It's so much easier to punch a timeclock and let someone else worry about the numbers.

Woah... Never before seen... So unique and edgy!

Super curious how you got into that line of work?
I realized long ago that I'm not good as a worker unless I have a micro-manager boss.
In other words, I should be the boss, and I'm good at it. The problem is I've never been good at marketing my skills

(sorry for the blog post)

but...but I don't think I'm unique or edgy. I thought I was middle-of-the-road likeable

Can't say I really like your views, if they are implemented in a democracy it leads to rot and corruption

I had 16 years experience managing restaurants
I started dating a girl that cleaned offices for a local janitorial contractor.
she got paid way more than I did to manage the kitchen I was working in at the time
I took over her work because it paid way better than mine
I asked her boss for more work.
she offered to sell me the company- she wanted to move
I worked for her for free 1 year to pay for the company
She trained me in sales, estimating, ops, compliance
I took her tiny company and made it relatively much larger using my management experience

Years later the girl I bought my biz from moved back into town, she works for me now. Because I was much better at running her biz than she was.

ah, I get it: you're not a 'real' entrepreneur. (not trying to diminish your achievements. ), but more of an 'manager' type.

the difference is that 'entrepreneurial types' are great at coming up with new great ventures, but once they built them, they lose interest.

managers tend to be more conservative, but can actually run things and keep them running.

so that might explain your rather 'conservative' stance on the employer-employee-relationship. unless of course you're nothing like that, in which case I'm sorry.

I absolutely wasn't an entrepreneur when I started.

I've started 5 businesses since then, of which 4 still operate at a regular profit. All are related to my main business though. For example I started a recycling business and a metal scrap business and spun off an environmental company and an office rental business.

Once you understand how it's done it becomes relatively simple.

I wasn't an entrepreneur though, and to be fair most people that think of themselves as entrepreneurs usually fail. My political views are shaped in large part by my experience working for a living. I retired a long time ago, but I still sympathize with people that stress over money all the time. Especially knowing they shouldn't have to.

Interesting path.
Where do you think is a good place to start learning the skills you've amassed? I assume it's "start your own business" and try to optimize it?

also I owned a successful business prior to all that.

I started a catering company that made a couple thousand a month. My partner was my wife. We got divorced and that business ended.

so I have started a few businesses, there's a very thin line between a manager and a successful entrepreneur.

>I assume it's "start your own business" and try to optimize it?
I would actually recommend working for someone else in the trade you chose. Start at the bottom. If you can master than and work your way up to manager you'll have no problems then starting your own biz.

Most of the strategies I used to grow my biz were learned by making other people millions.

you're awesome, man. I can only express respect for anyone who has this kind of can-do-attidude.

but to be fair to the people who consider themselves primarily entrepreneurs: it's absolutely normal for them to fail. they have these bold ideas that when successful change the whole industry and it's very common for this type of person to have a long history of failure until one of their ideas strikes it big.

it's just a different mentality compared to people who have worked beforehand for a long time in their respective industry and start businesses: they only improve things incrementally based on their work experience. (which is a great thing to do)

what I wanted to say is, that I believe that this difference in how people approach things probably has a large influence on their political views. (though of course personal experience is also very important)

>I believe that this difference in how people approach things probably has a large influence on their political views. (though of course personal experience is also very important)
truth.

People like me tend to lean right despite all that though. Just because the right favors their wallet until they get so rich taxes don't matter to them.

I've just hit the point where I don't care about taxes. They're just an operating expense to me. If I feel like the expense is getting too high I just make more money. To be fair most business owners don't have that luxury. So they lean right.

>Most of the strategies I used to grow my biz were learned by making other people millions.
I guess that's how you know how it worked, kinda difficult for me, I'm in a skillset where I can't really hook up under anyone else.

>Liberal Arts
>Actually could make hundreds of thousands a year if I have the right attitude and network in the right places

>I'm in a skillset where I can't really hook up under anyone else.
there's a strong chance you'll be employed by a business at some point. And if you're adept and curious enough you may find yourself running that business.

and if you're really motivated you might find yourself starting a competing business. That's how degrees actually pay off- when you start your own business. That's why college grads tend to make a lot more money than non-grads. They build businesses. Building a business is building equity, usually tax-free.

>it's very common for this type of person to have a long history of failure until one of their ideas strikes it big.
exactly.

their success rate is about 10% but when they succeed they usually go big. Failing nine times doesn't matter when the tenth try makes you millions. From that perspective entrepreneurs are doing great.

it's not for everyone though. and the failures are a real thing.

ask moot I guess. That's a guy that has presumably made and lost more money than I ever will.

He sold Veeky Forums for like $200K.
That probably doesn't even cover how much it cost him to run.

He got some VC for canvas, he couldn't have been doing too bad.

Gross is probably more informative than net. If it cost him $200k to run, how much was it grossing? I have no idea but he did some big numbers I think.

Veeky Forums has always run at a loss.
I don't even know if it's making money now jackie Veeky Forums decided to double the number of ads.

Running at a loss isn't a problem if the potential is big enough.

Say I make a million in sales every year and lose $100k net. Someone else could conceivably make money off that gross so it has real value. The equity exists even if you can't or won't cash in on it.

and that's the thing with moot and hiroshimoot. They could've made millions off the site if they wanted to sacrifice their ideals. That has a real dollar value.

>and if you're really motivated you might find yourself starting a competing business. That's how degrees actually pay off- when you start your own business.

That is exactly my (wishful) thinking at the moment, sure I could with luck get a tangentially related wagecuck job in marketing or at somekind of creative consultancy, and no doubt I'd learn a lot, but it would be a parallel gig to what I really want to do.

>Building a business is building equity, usually tax-free.
Very important

It must be breaking even now, whether Hiroshimoot has recouped his investment is another question, who knows how much (if any) cash he's taking out of the company.
>inb4 a thousand conspiracy tards claim that Moot is a millionaire and Hiroshimoot can afford a goldplated waifu with the Veeky Forums pass dollars

>(wishful) thinking
about 1/3 of americans will start a business
of those businesses, about 1/3 will be successful for life
of those, about 1/3 will become millionaires.

the odds really aren't bad. It just takes time.

>of those, about 1/3 will become millionaires.
also should note that about 80% of those new millionaires graduated college.

as a college grad the odds are in your favor.

Thanks for the inspiration user.
I'm not afraid of the first business going balls up either, so that doubles my chances.

>that doubles my chances.
more than doubles. You'll fail several times before you get it right. It's ok. All you need is one success.

kek

From personal experience most successful business owners are "librarian" and lean slightly to the right. Unless they are using politics for personal gain

Left rolling down hill off the charts right the more i learn.

Fuck u liberals and you dems. Every single one if you can suck my dick.

The inly rich leftist cucks i know either inherited it or married into it.

True business guys are very rarely left side for 4 billion reasons.

#1 being republican master race

MAGA U FUCKING ILLEGALS! OVER THE WALL

Faggot mod shill. I see u cuck.

U cuck...

Kek. Sorry man. Mistag. Yiu are furthest from a cuck and if you really are then i still dont give a fuck. Lol. How much scraping do u do? I fully intend on having a scrapyard and keeping whatever i can instead of profit.

I like to tinker.

Ever wind up scraping or getting cool sgit doing it?

And the advise u give about wirking in a trade to master it is classic advise from millionaires. Good call

What you guys are discussing is the difference between the meme of entrepreneur and the reality

>Vehemently Socially Progressive

So like black dildos and stuff?

#blackdildos.

Maybe after primer?

>How much scraping do u do?
I usually do gross sales in the range of $15k-$25k per year. Usually something like 100 tons a year, or about 2 tons of mixed scrap per week.

I don't pay for scrap, I just haul it for free if someone needs it gone. Trying to think what constitutes cool stuff. Probably the most interesting single find was a pile of gold rings a bank threw away after cleaning out abandoned safe deposit boxes. I think it was about an ounce of gold all told. I asked them if they wanted it and they said their internal rules didn't allow them to claim property from safe deposit boxes, so I got it. It was a bit weird.

Other than that most of what I haul doesn't interest me. Old appliances, cars and parts, industrial equipment, electronics. I get piles of industrial motors and pumps. I currently have about 500lbs of heavy copper wire out in my yard.

I don't like having it around, I don't keep anything in my house and I'd rather not have it in my yard for more than a few days. It's a distraction, like a messy house. I'll have things I need to get done and always in the back of my mind I'll be thinking "I need to get that stupid scrap out of my garage." I resent it when my business intrudes into my home life like that. So no, I collect it and dump it for my guy to sort and take apart, but other than that I ignore it. It's trash, and if I spend time obsessing over it then it's costing me money instead of making it.

My guy who sorts the scrap is like you though, I think he wants to keep most of what I send him. He's very frugal (old, retired) and gets really excited if he finds something he can use.

memes often have a basis in truth though.

I mean like how 90% of VC-backed startups fail in 2 years when the average for businesses overall is closer to 30%. The stereotypical entrepreneur "ideas guy" that gets investors to realize his idea is a real thing. They just have a much lower success rate than the less showy entrepreneurs that are out painting houses or laying tile on their own dime.

this is the sort of stuff I move. You could make some cool Road-Warrior stuff with it, but it's not really worth trying to fix.

ya know user you may think that insults me, but I'm glad that people like you can shove dildos of all colors up your ass. I will be the first to shout for your rights. That's what I stand for (and you have to stand for b/c there's something up your butt), that's what I'm so vehement about, that people can be whoever they want, indulge what ever sexual or social quirks they want...
...except for furries and Kenny Loggin's fans

Right, I dislike giving my money away to lazy fucks.

Far right