The OT of the bible is a disgusting book

>These people (Canaanites) never heard of me? Go and slaughter every man, woman and child and bring the cattle to me. t. Yahweh
>Use a prostitute (Rahab) to betray the city of Jericho and kill every man, woman and child.
>I want to cuck my loyal subject. Send him to his death in a far away battle. Sleep with his wife. t. king David
>One whore Judith sleeps with the Assyrian general to betray him.
>Another whore Esther sleeps with Persian king to make him cuck his own people.
How in the world is this considered a """"holy"""" book? You'd have to be a very sick person to not find this book repugnant.

Inb4 the bible is a collection of books

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5B9r7leWO0g?t=7m56s
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=numbers 31&version=KJV
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy 21&version=KJV
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy 22&version=KJV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It got some metal moment, Samson was the shit.

Yeah I guess it's fine to read it as mythology. Samsom = Hebrew Herakles. But some people on this planet find this disgusting book holy. How do they rationalize this?

>How do they rationalize this?

They don't. It's call Belief for a reason.

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.

Judaism is a religion of peace only the raabis are qualified to interpret scripture.

To understand the Old Testament you must understand Abraham's test of faith. Kierkegaard wrote an entire book on this, Fear and Trembling, which helped me come to better understand the seemingly immoral acts permitted in the Old Testament, that's where I'd recommend you start if you honestly care about the answer to your question.

>implying what God does is anything but holy and just
tips fedora

Schlomo detected.

Christcuck detected.

/pol/nigger detected

Which makes me glad that Christianity is actually closer to Neoplatonism than Judaism, despite all the talk about "our brothers the Jews".

>>These people (Canaanites) never heard of me? Go and slaughter every man, woman and child and bring the cattle to me. t. Yahweh

The Canaanites knew that God was with the Hebrews. God led them out of a pillar of flame, and confirmed his presence with miracles. The smart Canaanites begged for mercy ahead of time and were forgiven.

>>Use a prostitute (Rahab) to betray the city of Jericho and kill every man, woman and child.

An example of a smart Canaanite.

>>I want to cuck my loyal subject. Send him to his death in a far away battle. Sleep with his wife. t. king David

This is held to be one of David's principal sins, and God rebukes him harshly for it.

>>One whore Judith sleeps with the Assyrian general to betray him.

Apocryphal.

>>Another whore Esther sleeps with Persian king to make him cuck his own people.

What the fuck are you even saying?

0/10 repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

Also that part where this guy goes to the king of egypt (?) and tries to convince him of God. But God "strengthens" this guy's heart as to deny God, therefore unleashing plagues etc.
Not really fair, is it

Marcion pls

>The Bible isn't like on my romance book
This is called reality m8

And when God stops hardening Pharaoh's heart, he lets the Hebrews go... But then Pharaoh changes his mind and chases after the Hebrews in chariots. Pharaoh was never going to listen anyway, so God showed the consequences of continued disobedience.

those Canaanites were given 400 years to repent, while God's people were slaves in Egypt. They did nothing but grow more wicked and corrupt.

Loyalty to God over country is not a new idea.

David paid for that murder with the life of his son, and a rebellion within his house.

Whores gotta do what whores gotta do.

She married the king; she was the queen. She risked her life to save her people from genocide.

The OT is a rough book, but your understanding of it is dildos.

No clue why you keep misspelling "Catholicism". It isn't that hard to spell.

God's hardening your heart against him, too, so that you have the power to join the rebellion against him, die, and go to hell.

That's what you're asking from God.

I'd reconsider if I were you.

This is sandnigger mentality man come on.

>Behead all those who insult Yahweh!
>Yahweh akbar!
Sandnigger.

I can't speak for protestants, othodox Christians, or Jews, but I know the Catholic Church regards most of the OT as mythological, or at least, historically-inspired, if not accurate. It's more there to serve as a reminder of where we came from as well as documenting the groundwork being laid for the coming of Christ.

It's also important to remember that the OT was recorded orally for thousands of years, so what we have today is basically the end result of a massive game of "telephone."

>God used to interact with people on an interpersonal level and level entire cities, even restarted the whole world once
>Monks canonised people left and right
>All of that stopped

really makes you think

You sound like an honest person. Are you sure you're a Christian?

>cmon man u iz bein stupid liek dem [random word]-niggers meme

Nice argument.

Define holiness.

>>I want to cuck my loyal subject.
But YHWH did that in the NT.

Behead all those who oppose Yahoo even if it means lying, cheating and genociding inocent people, including children = ISIS tier sandnigger religion = not holy.

Teachings of Jesus = holy.

>Teachings of Jesus
But also of Buddha, Shankara, Pythagoras, Plato, Zoroaster...

>trying to apply modern morality to a book written by iron age desert tribals

The stories are no more disgusting than the stories of the Greeks or any other culture of that period because the reality is that people back then were FAR more callous and cruel with their dealings to compared to now.

YHWH is not allah.

YHWH made allah.

Yes, the Catholics shit all over the bible. Thanks for the confirmation.

They are identical in character.

No duh genius. I'm not the one that believes the book is holy and above historical perspective and moral reproach, these fine soldiers of Allah, I mean Yahweh do

One is triune, Love, and has a son.

The other is the devil.

The fact that you think the book is disgusting shows your own stupidity. You're incapable of understanding the context of the times and environment it was written. You have this idea in your head that all Christians, Jews and Muslims believe that the OT is the infallible word of God; when nobody thinks that except the zealots which you mistakenly apply that label to everyone.

>In the book of Numbers (31:18) God’s servant commands the Israelites to kill all of the used Midianite women who have been captured in war, and all of the boy children, but to keep all of the virgin girls for themselves.
>The Law of Moses spells out a purification ritual to prepare a captive virgin for life as a concubine. It requires her owner to shave her head and trim her nails and give her a month to mourn her parents before the first sex act (Deuteronomy 21:10-14).
>A Hebrew girl who is raped can be sold to her rapist for 50 shekels, or about $580 (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). He must then keep her as one of his wives for as long as she lives.
Wow the Hebrews were literally ISIS

"God" and "Allah" are just Yahweh playing you for a chump. A war god needs blood. It set up three religions, all against each other. Now the three way bloodbath between Christians, Jews, and Mozzies fuels its power for the foreseeable future. I assume that after you pledge your soul to it, it consumes you in the afterlife ("You shall become one with God.") for an extra bit of juice.

No, God hardened his heart once more and then he gave chase.

New Testament was written by Jews to Christians would stop being so mean to them.

Yeah

Only if you think taking a logical approach to something is the same as shitting all over it.

>taking verse out of context because muh fedora

Explain

youtu.be/5B9r7leWO0g?t=7m56s

>Numbers 31:18

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=numbers 31&version=KJV

The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God, the cherry-picked verse refers to the women who were taken as wives by Israelites and were corrupting them to Baal worship.

>Deuteronomy 21:10-14

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy 21&version=KJV

God is laying down laws to keep the Israelites from corruption such as that in the previous passage, it sounds harsh but in the context of the time it's probably a lot more lenient than a woman could expect from other peoples in the area, particularly the last verse which forbids her being sold for any amount.

>Deuteronomy 22:28-29

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuteronomy 22&version=KJV

This one is complete misrepresentation, the law states that if a man rapes a woman he has to pay her father compensation and take her as his wife for life.

Quote-mining comes up a lot but in the proper context such "arguments" always fall apart.

>The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God
are you seriously trying to excuse this? you're trying to corrupt me into worshiping a false god. should I kill you too and forcibly "marry" your daughter?

Old Testament God may allow his chosen race to invade your lands and exterminate your people, but after all the inflicted horrors you can at least cease to exist

New Testament God makes your life a living hell; then after you die, sends you to the place where "the worm never dies, and the fires are never extinguished".

Also OT God is at least pretty honest in his being a petty, authoritarian prick. I'd gladly take OT God over NT God.

Did you learn everything you know about Christianity from memes or something?

They had it coming.

T. Jew

>The context is the Midianites were corrupting the Israelites to worship false gods and their destruction was commanded by God,

You say this as if its something in any way justifiable. Tell me, would you favor killing non Christians today to prevent them from corrupting believers?

God purges a lot more with the Deluge, not sure why you failed to mention that. Out of curiosity, what would you have preferred the Jews do with the Canaanite women and children?

Rehab was a prostitute, yes, and she was the only one spared. She's used by James as example of being saved by works. I'm not sure why you find this objectionable.

David sleeping with his subject's wife and having him killed, is not portrayed positively at all, it makes God furious. You think what David did here was supposed to be seen as holy or heroic? Quite the opposite. It's a heinous sin, but it is important because David feels enormous remorse for it.

Judith didn't sleep with him, and since she was pretending to betray her own people in order to get into his confidence, this seems like a strange thing to be outraged over.

The Persian king scrapped a planned genocide of the Jews, who were his subjects, not seeing the problem here.

this

>Out of curiosity, what would you have preferred the Jews do with the Canaanite women and children?

Not kill their husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, etc. and then force them into sexual servitude. In short, tell him to eat it for ordering such a blatantly monstrous thing.

They weren't forced into sexual servitude, they were put to death. Sex slavery is forbidden by Mosaic Law.

How would you have gone about the war differently?

Samson is superhuman in terms of strength, and he kills a lion, but beyond that he has zero similarities with Heracles. It's like calling King Arthur "the British Agamemnon".

Not fucking done it. Engaging in a genocidal war of aggression is blatantly evil by pretty much any ethical system that isn't "what's moral is what God says is moral." Are you inhuman or something?

Also I was thinking of something else, you're right on that bit, they were put to death.

Lots of ethical systems which don't include God include punishment by death for the evils which the Canaanites were allegedly guilty of.

Well, you got me there, and Constantine rejects pretty much anything more modern than the 15th century (what with his rabid fetish for all medievalism), so this is going to be pretty fruitless. I'm gonna go do something else.

From a Biblical perspective, the entire planet belongs to God and he can allocate it how he pleases, so it wasn't aggressive in that sense. Canaan was given a land to settle, but he refused and instead settled where the Canaanites would later by consequence inhabit.

The Medieval period was when the Catholics split radically from the Orthodox in philosophy and doctrine, so I don't really have a fetish for it.

Mythology is supposed to be holy

>Making moral judgements about god
Either god exists and therefore is right about everything meaning he did literally nothing wrong in the OT.
Or god doesn't exist and morality is a spook. Meaning he still did nothing wrong.

Either way OT god is an absolute baller.

Ein od Milvado motherfucker. "There is nothing but Him"

One doesn't mean 3 - dad ghost and kid, and it doesn't mean 1 + a desert pedophile who appropriated other religions by conquest. One is one and that singularity is what makes Jewish spiritual monotheism at least in theory (in actual religious practice and custom, no) purest application of monotheism. Shame you goys totally messed everything up so now its cool to once again worship religious icons when no icon or figure can encompass the ultimate universal singularity of god.

Fucking snackbars stole our Shema then tack on some fanfiction about mohammed being the prophet of Allah (El). Shianiggers are no better than catholics worshiping saints at this point on top of this blasphemy of prophets. I guess some Haredi jews deserve the lake of fire as well since they do the whole "pray at Rav so-and-so's grave its totally not idolatry we are praying "with" his divine presence oops did we just say that? WHO CARES WE WROTE THE TALMUD WE ARE THE LAW!"

That rant being what it is, is there any actual ancient, archaeological precedent for Kaballah that isn't just medieval fanfiction?

Not necessarily, it could just be folklore. Which among pagans wasn't necessarily intended as "holy" even if gods are involved.

>the entire planet belongs to God
so it's his property and he can do with it as fits his interests. where have I heard this before?

Stirner can't do whatever he wants with the planet. He can want anything, that doesn't mean he can actually do it.

So the only difference between them according to you is amount of power? so then we can agree that God is an amoral being

>YHWH isn't Jewish!
>Christianity isn't Semitic!

>spend a whole thread justifying Hebrew actions

Why dont Christians take the easy way out by saying God didn't literally order this?

why try to justify an act that makes God look evil?

do you mean deny it or make it "metaphorical"?

You could simply say that was just the ancient Hebrews justifying themselves, or call it a mythical event, pointing towards modern research on the subject.

I'm not an edgy atheist I swear. I'm just woke the fuck up about mythology and shit Joseph Campbell, Jung, Borges, Watts, Huxley, Eliade, Frazer, Nietzsche style

The edgiest atheist on this board is nothing compared to the traditionalist larpers here arguing for divine command theory morality

for most they are already ideologically opposed to having any actual flaws in the bible. that's why even when they don't accept a literal interpretation they have to say it's metaphorical. though I'm sure there are those who do hold this view. I can say that when I was a christian I certainly held this view. but if you accept some corruption in the holy text that must not come from God, you inevitably find something else that must be "corruption". I ended up in a free fall where I see nearly any of the bible as being from God. At that point you either become a vague deist casting off the bible completely or you reject the concept of God. essentially christianity can't survive once you accept that the foundation is shaky, as far as I see it anyways.

*where I couldn't see any of the bible as being from God

Here's a third option. We don't know whether God exist or not. But the God of the OT surely isn't him.

> But the God of the OT surely isn't him.
Why not?

>leaving fighting men alive to kill your people in the next war

Great plan Napoleon.

>the entire planet belongs to God and he can allocate it how he pleases

Fuck that noise. Just because he made it doesn't mean he gets to murder people for being on it where he doesn't like.

It's like you lack any sense of basic human empathy.

>mr. I utterly reject every aspect of modernism and think we should return to feudalism doesn't have a fetish for the medieval period

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Morality, in Christianity, means being God. The more you be God, the better. So all the actions that make you closer to being God, are virtuous, and all the actions which make you less God, are sin (literally "missing the mark" in Hebrew, Latin and Greek, though in English "sin"). God greatly facilitated this by becoming one of us to bridge the immense gap.

Because Christians believe the Bible tells us about God. If you say, "The Bible is wrong," then what the Bible is right about, just falls apart and becomes an arbitrary matter.

Though Mainline (not to be conflated with "mainstream) Protestants often do what you're talking about.

>Fuck that noise. Just because he made it doesn't mean he gets to murder people for being on it where he doesn't like.
God has the power to do whatever he wants. Assuming he exists you don't have a say in what he "gets" to do.

>It's like you lack any sense of basic human empathy.
It's like you're a spooked moralfag.

> spooked

Where exactly did Sterner condemn empathy?

hough Mainline (not to be conflated with "mainstream) Protestants often do what you're talking about.

Pretty much all Christian groups besides non-mainline protestants do this, so either your the only true Christians (which many of them do believe) or at some point they went off the rails (which is what history tells us)

He didn't. But he did point out the ever present importance of self-interest conscious or otherwise.

If (and that's a big if) the Abrahamic god exists this means it's in our interest to go along with everything he says and does in order to reap big eternal rewards and not go to hell. When faced with the motivation of eternal life and joy in exchange for annihilating the Canaanites you would be spooked not to do it.

>When faced with the motivation of eternal life and joy in exchange for annihilating the Canaanites you would be spooked not to do it.

The theoretical isrealits didn't think they were getting eternal life, they thought they were getting a piece of land.

As far as I understand he did not advocate a Randian self interest, but rather not allowing purely external concepts to bind your self interest. Not wanting to engage in systematic murder because it makes you feel bad would not be a spooked action

>The theoretical isrealits didn't think they were getting eternal life, they thought they were getting a piece of land.
They had interests aside from getting a piece of land as after all if we're to discuss it as the bible claims it happened then indeed they had religious motivations.

>Not wanting to engage in systematic murder because it makes you feel bad would not be a spooked action
Actually it would because an omnipotent diety who's willing to reward you greatly or potentially punish you horribly is telling you do it.

On a different scale it's like refusing to punch someone in the face because you'd feel guilty when you're being told to do it with the incentive of a billion dollars if you do and on pain of being flayed alive if you don't. Being skinned would feel a lot worse than the guilt of hurting someone.

treating self interest as an absolute good would be in my understanding, a spook.

Of course in the scenario you lay out that might make sense. It doesn't address the underlying issues of Christian morality the scenario raises

>Of course in the scenario you lay out that might make sense. It doesn't address the underlying issues of Christian morality the scenario raises
Obviously god is an egoist.

>God has the power to do whatever he wants. Assuming he exists you don't have a say in what he "gets" to do.

I do however possess my own powers to cast whatever judgement I please on the matter.

>It's like you're a spooked moralfag.

It's like you've never actually read Stirner. Morals are totally fine under his system of thinking.

>If (and that's a big if) the Abrahamic god exists this means it's in our interest to go along with everything he says and does in order to reap big eternal rewards and not go to hell.

Stirner's concept of self interest bears more in common with Sartre's notion of radical freedom than it does any sort of Randian egoism. It's in my self interest to judge negative a god that condones genocide because I value my own sense of empathy and refuse to serve such an entity.

> I do however possess my own powers to cast whatever judgement I please on the matter.
Naturally, but he's not going to care.

>Morals are totally fine under his system of thinking.
Of course, but they're spooks nonetheless.

> It's in my self interest to judge negative a god that condones genocide because I value my own sense of empathy and refuse to serve such an entity.
Well fundamentally it's up to the individual to decide what their interest is or isn't. But I was operating on the reasonable assumption that most people would rather genocide the Canaanites and feel guilty for the rest of their life than go to hell and suffer for eternity.

Orthodoxy is the oldest form of Christianity, so I'd say it's the closest to the mark.

Did you get that shit from warhammer 40k or something ?

Yeah... Like holy fuck it sounds khornate or khainite.

Yahweh was the Canaanite God of conquest who led the heavenly host btw.

No, from reading the NT actually

Try it sometime

YHWH is also said to be the God of the Sea and many other things. He's the God of everything.

There us tons of philosophy and theology behind it. Taking a verse out of context (especially its historical and literary context, but many are lazy enough to even think about neghbouring verse) and crying about it shows laziness. You can't learn about Bible's meaning from cherrypicked Internet memes.

That's Protestant mentality.

What the fuck was Samson's problem?
>try to swindle your bride's family out of some bolts of cloth at your own wedding with a bullshit non-riddle that can't logically be solved
>wife spills the beans
>murder everyone

Also something about clobbering people with jawbones and setting foxes on fire. What a violent retard.

>Orthodoxy is the oldest form of Christianity

That's a funny way of spelling Messianic Judaism

"Allah" comes from "El" or "Ellah" which is Aramaic for god (which is also the name of a local god, definitely related etymology). Jesus would have used the term "El" or "Ellah" as it is generally agreed he spoke Aramaic.