byond.com/download/build/LATEST/

>Pomf Serbian, main Veeky Forumsstation server
byond://game.ss13.moe:7777

>Test server
byond://ss13.moe:1337

>Public server list
byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

>How do I connect to the servers?
Hit the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the BYOND hub and pick "Open Location"

>Veeky Forumsstation forum and logs + Discord circlejerk
ss13.moe/forum/
game.ss13.moe/logs
discord.gg/HQA4Mhm

>Map renders collection: updated sometimes
game.ss13.moe/minimaps/images/maps/

>Coderbus, here!
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13
@rizon #coderbus @rizon #vgstation
discord.gg/nfmjc56

>Cryo Autism
pastebin.com/raw/YmAyagUa

>Round Stats
stats.ss13.moe/

>SS13 booru for all your SS13 images!
ss13.booru.org/

>How To Install BYOND: The Video Tutorial: The Movie
youtube.com/watch?v=-iWiZwv9f1o

>Nostalgia
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/text/ss13g/
ss13.moe/index.php/bans

>OP Pastebin
pastebin.com/raw/z7czw5WQ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3WFHKFK2xQo
creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Dogscape
youtube.com/watch?v=4QDEPoMNvWM
youtu.be/ud6LiVJkwyA
youtu.be/n8cCDoDYgc0
youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SS13 in general lacks a lot of what I think a good game needs for roleplaying, the rounds are too short and they're all standalone, a character can't develop, a player can't get too invested because they know in 3 hours it'll be completely reset. You see this in how people play, nobody sacrifices anything, there's no compromise. All or nothing, all the time.

>Get caught?
Suicide succumb, tab out and play again in an hour
>Trapped in a dangerous place?
Try and escape alone, even if the odds are less than 1 in a 100, never even consider calling for help.
>In the bar
Don't talk to anyone else, why does it matter who the other characters are, the round will reset in 2 hours so talking to them about anything other than getting the valids is a waste of time.

Sad. I'd say the setting of ss13 is good but it really isn't, it's incredibly soft science fiction with bland factions and no depth. We know next to nothing about centcomm except you work for them, the syndicate are bad guys who blow up stations and steal things, wizards have a federation and harass centcomm for some reason and vampires enjoy living on space stations despite sunlight cooking them to ash.

Nothing makes sense, the rounds are too fast, there's no consequence to actions, nothing matters. The admins care more about forcing another round than telling a compelling story, the community has collective ADD and can't slow down.
Bay goes in the opposite direction sadly, too much sitting around. The gameplay isn't interesting enough to it's only roleplaying, there needs to be a game. There needs to be a fun job to be performed, there needs to be an antagonist to drive a story and create tense situations. A gutted and hug box station doesn't provide any interesting things for a player to explore there character.

SS13 lacks what a lot of pen and paper/tabletop roleplaying games have and thrive in. You spend maybe an hour making your character, you play them for hours, slowly watching them become more experienced and interacting with the setting. You begin with their background and naturally see how they act through their early adventures. As things get more dangerous your character ends up forced into bad situations, a fight too hard, a choice between fighting to the end or retreating and leaving their dying comrades behind. Something that really defines your character in a moment of weakness, something you as a player really are invested in because you've put so much time into this character and story that you want both a good story but something that is fitting and satisfying.

SS13 does not have this moment, there is no fear of death, no fear of loss. The revolving round and lack of permadeath means a character is never truly threatened, the player knows they will be back to normal in a few hours, as if this round never happened. Even to play like there is a consequence doesn't provide the right feeling because the rest of the server doesn't, the game mechanics don't support it.

One of my favorite moments from a tabletop game was in the middle of a combat that was particularly hard, the party was wounded, out of spells, out of their good consumables and on their last legs. The party barbarian made a deal with a demon to save himself and the party, if he had not done this he would've died, due to how the game mechanics worked as he'd lose enough hit points to instantly die. It was fun to watch the fight unfold with every player rejecting the demon's tempting offer, until at the most dire moment one accepted where the others still refused.

To reiterate my point again, space station 13 lacks consequences, it lacks consistancy. The revolving door of a round means no actions matter, leading to a community of players that attempt to do everything alone, failure means at worst an inability to play for a few hours. To ask for help is a waste of time. A character can't develop because the cardboard cut outs reset every round, nothing matters and nothing tests their morals.
Bay goes too far in an attempt to encourage roleplaying, it removes these tense moments because the players feed admin repercussion for not acting in a certain way.

In short, no server allows for good roleplay, the game itself is fundamentally anti-roleplaying. Not by creation, the game just does not fit a narrative format where roleplaying is best. Not for trying, many people on Veeky Forums have good characters and do good interaction, but the players can't force roleplaying. There needs to be a balance of community and mechanics, the mechanics just need a full overhaul.

>1 IPs
>this fucking autist spent 5 minutes pasting his shitty wall of text before linking the thread just so he would have a combo or whatever

One time I suggested the idea for a server that never truly ended. After reaching central the server would do a soft reset and you'd be able to get back onto the shuttle and go to a fresh station, or you could stay at central and retire the character until the next time you would play. Things like lost limbs, damage etc. would all stay with you until you died.

The problem with that is that it would create a lot of server bloat and might be impossible to implement in byond

>You see this in how people play
first 2 examples:
>>Get caught?
>Suicide succumb, tab out and play again in an hour
>>Trapped in a dangerous place?
>Try and escape alone, even if the odds are less than 1 in a 100, never even consider calling for help.

You couldn't have possibly made me disagree with you any faster
t. person who actually plays the game and mains sec officer

Shout out to my boy Slavo who pulled through and told me all 5 locations for the kudzu he planted throughout the station.

i got told by sec hed give me a gold star if he could :)

Have you read it?

SS13 is not D&D because it was never made to be D&D, dumbass. The game is extremely chaotic by nature and by design. All this crap about muh permanence simply cannot coexist with that fact.
You are simply playing the wrong game.

I never claimed ss13 was designed to be a roleplaying game, I was saying that the idea that it is a roleplaying game fails. In all manner of roleplaying games the key idea is a permanent character that changes as the story progress, ss13 lacks permanence and a story, a character can't develop and so the roleplaying is very limited.

>the current year
>walk into eatery favored for social gatherings where people imbibe alcohol in a favorable atmosphere
>music that i enjoy begins playing

SS13 works best when it's TTT on a large space station. Roleplay is not required, and very really makes the game better.

Velard made it into the army! Say something nice to him!

Each round is a self contained story.

Death can be cheap in tabletop games too, you know.
Personally, I like SS13 RP the most when it's kinda lighthearted. When the doctors are all talking around about how they don't actually have medical licenses while knee deep in blood, when Cargo's going full Ancap, when the chaplain is delivering sermons of whatever batshit religion they picked while the station burns, and when the bar is alive and filled with people telling stories and getting into brawls.
There's no need for persistence, just make do with what you have and improvise when in doubt.
Anyhow, I do my best to stay alive when possible, and I'm pretty sure most other players do too.

Yes.
It's not a roleplaying game.
What are you confused about?

>It's not a roleplaying game
Isn't it though? You take on the role of a fictional character on a space station.

The best description I've read was that this game isn't a space station simulator, its a cheesy 70's sci fi movie simulator, that's why the station is always a hair's breadth away from destruction, all the crew are larger than life and the plucky assistant has more luck stopping the antagonist than the security detail.

This, desu. SS13 is a cheesy sci-fi comedy at it's heart.

>tfw SS13 is the closest thing we'll ever get to a Paranoia game

Aurx's justification is that nobody can force you to become a mouse, or hologram, or Diona.
Cultbans and sillybans and whatnot are necessary because someone can force you to be those things.

Okay, that's an acceptable explanation, I suppose.

But there's no code limitations, correct? If you wanted to, you could - hypothetically?

wyci

For gameplay purposes.
Some people build off of that to an autistic extreme, some people use it as secondlife tier escapism, some people don't take it very seriously and goof, some people don't talk at all and treat the game like epicmafia with a GUI or town of salem.
IC in OOC isn't against the rules because we care about deep immersive roleplaying environments it's there because you can't fucking play the game if people are dying and ratting out the antagonists.

Anyone play on the new discordia server?

aurx lied
people died
unknown was right
hologram a blight

Shame that no frustrated party made a ~banrequest~ when I brought it up last thread.

Obviously gameplay purposes. But the gameplay is still playing the roles of fictional characters with jobs on a space station.
Isn't that enough to call it a roleplaying game?

The problem the way I see it is there's no actual point to holograms. There were no holo rooms added to give them usefulness, no holomedbay or holokitchen, not even crayons or metal to build things, just basketball we can't play properly, and fucking ESWORDS
What did you guys expect would happen?

The holo-eswords deal HALLOSS though
They can't kill people
The holograms used other items for the murders

HOLOlaws
1) You may not cause harm to the crew or to the holodeck, even indirectly.
2) Follow the crew's orders to the best of your ability. You exist purely for the crew's entertainment.
3) Holographic weapons are considered non-harmful, and may be used freely, so long as you don't break Law 2 in doing so.
Disabling the holodeck safeties adds a law 0: "Only [emagger] and people they designate as being such are crew members". Also, disabling holodeck controls already makes holoweapons cause brute damage. No further law changes are needed.

They literally knocked people out and killed them though

Even then they're a very potent disabling tool.

I was kind of expecting being able to play taser tag with ghosts. Turns out they can't do that. Damn.

>CMO runs into holodeck with hypospray full of chloral
>Falls over on conveyors and drops it
>One of the 50 holomen grab it and poke him with it
>When he wakes up he starts crying for his hypo back
>runs around for 30 minutes begging for it and keeps falling down asleep
The absolute state of medbay I swear

>pain woke up
>pain hates holopeople
>still no holopeople bans
what timeline is this

What is that gif from? It's cute.

Three bans for holopeople. One a day long, two formal warnings and three hour bans.

well that was a wild ride for sure
finally got tossed by the xenos in the escape shuttle

>try to do antag project that takes a while to set up
>xenos and singuloose and shit

always

youtube.com/watch?v=3WFHKFK2xQo

at least they lasted longer than SAMMIs

I somehow had clumsy when I popped out of cryo, so the gun exploded in my hand
perfect plan foiled by incompetent medbay not putting ryet in the mix

I was prepared to chimp out on the CMO for gibbing that guy
my biggest relief is that he was a ling

Character settings are literally already saved per character slot per account you dweeb

>IC in OOC isn't against the rules because we care about deep immersive roleplaying environments it's there because you can't fucking play the game if people are dying and ratting out the antagonists.
Coincidentally, high RP servers allow ick ock because they're all just having casual fun together and using "metainformation" is detected and punished in other ways.
I dunno if I agree with it, though. I don't believe you can ever truly get rid of biases arising from metainformation. If I wanted a hyper-immersive environment, IC and OOC should still stay separate.

Streex and Lucisfersson are my husbandos! I'm gonna marry them!

You're gonna be marrying them in limbo if they keep the dumb stuff up

>on high RP server ages ago
>get wizard on one of the rare non extended rounds
>mindswap into a guy just as he screams for sec
>try to RP as him, while he's constantly screaming over LOOC how I'm a dick for mindswapping
>surprise surprise sec tases me (which thanks to bay tasing puts you in a coma so no spells), shoves me in a straightjacket and muzzle and locks me in solitary

>first holopeople round
>atmos tech has a friendly game of chess with a holoperson

>last holopeople round
>the entire crew gears up in the dorms to fight in the holowar
>science repeatedly threatening to blow up the holodeck
>holoconsole has to be destroyed with the singularity
>mecha hitler gets called in to finish the holocaust

>tfw been a holonigger
>not banned or warned

>2561
>walk into bar
>battle of lil slugger starts playing

this fucking game

A space station having a room full of asshole holograms who murder everybody who enters is the funniest thing

creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Dogscape
But with holograms

>Day 66
>The holograms figured out that their flesh and blood could extend outside the holodeck.
>In a matter of hours the holodecks reach had been tripled. The entire dorms was awash in holographic blood and the murderous holograms had turned the gym's windows into spears.

Holodeck blob skin when?
Cores = Holo deck control consoles
Strong blob = red holograms
weak blob = blue

In a setting with blobs and kudzu, another infinitely spreading mass is just gonna be background noise.

>Hear about hologram shenanigans during the Bagel round
>Stop by holodeck to see
>ALL windows are shattered and they're having shard fights
>Step up next to the clown who says "Don't worry, they can't get to us
>Suddenly a red toolbox whipped at my head
>Thankfully I was in the right intent and catch it
>"Holy fuck, that was close"
>Suddenly two of them run out at me, both managing to get a shard stab in on me before disappearing, the shards dropping to the ground beside me in my blood
>Another one runs out just as I step away, he disappears a tile away
>FUCK THIS I'M OUT
Fucking terrifying, but also fucking awesome. Sorry if anyone got in trouble, that shit is what space is all about

>send fax to centcom seeking reperations for holomen debacle
>continue about business
>'you feel a sudden urge to check the fax machine'
>response is a low effort meme fax telling me to suck it up

admins use god powers to make sure people read their low effort meme faxes, yet every single day over a million high effort IAA faxes go unacknowledged
when can we end admin privilege?

holopeople invasion gamemode when?

That sounds hilarious.

Is that character from something? Because from what I could tell most of the characters in that video were references.

>FBI
>sheep
>hairdo
>guy behind glass
I just realized it's Silence of the Lambs.

>New feature added for live testing
>Admins ask people to test it out
>People test it out en-mass, seeing all the things holograms are capable of
>Intentionally try to find game-breaking or exploitable bugs so the feature can be tweaked/balanced
>Admins cycle through all the holo rooms, spawn in objects, weapons, different chems and objects, even phazon smoke and a superjuke and party lights
>Everyone onboard knows whats going on, enter the holodeck at their own risk
>In general everyone is finding the situation hilarious or at worst mildly entertaining
>PAIN TRAIN arrives on the scene
>WHATS THAT I HEAR? THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN! NO FUN ON MY STATION YOU FUCKING SHITTERS!!!
>Doles out 3 temp-bans and 6 formal warnings with highly negative notes
>The admins who were laughing along, supporting and having fun say nothing and/or log off
Fuck this place. Fuck MrPain.

weak bait

Don't play on train tracks next time, kiddo.

The folly of the holomen was believing there was any inherit value to life in the first place

Yes, edgy thirty year old with no alternative outlets was clearly in the right here. Stop being a goofus.

Is there any way to rebind movement to WASD?

Why the fuck would you want to do that?

How are you going to access the chat without moving everywhere?

Yep! Look at the bottom right of your client and press the "Hotkey Toggle" button so that it's on. You're now in Hotkey Mode, which means you can use WASD to move among other things. You can also press TAB to toggle Hotkey Mode. To learn all of the Hotkey shortcuts, select the "OOC" tab at the top right of your client (nested next to the IC and Object tabs), and then press the "hotkeys-help" button. This will display a list of Hotkeys.

how do i eat food

Click on it with your active hand while it's in your hand

Hologram people roundstart race when?
youtube.com/watch?v=4QDEPoMNvWM

You need to be in grab intent when you grab the food for you to be able to hold it properly, then switch to help intent, target mouth damage zone (in the paperdoll, bottom right), clickdrag the food sprite to yourself to select it, then press the use item hotkey. You also need to be buckled to a chair with a table within 1 orthogonal tile (stools don't work, since you can't buckle into them). Repeat every 2 secs until full.

youtu.be/ud6LiVJkwyA

youtu.be/n8cCDoDYgc0

I had a dream where this was a shuttle song.
youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
It actually really fit, I think, both calm shuttles and chaotic meltdown shuttles.

Yes, I literally had a dream about this. That was pretty much the whole dream. Actually, what the fuck.

>new feature added
>some people become screaming retards and break the server rules using the feature
>admins don't ban them
>players complain because the screaming retards are ruining every round
>feature gets removed instead of admins just banning the people causing the problem
This is why we can't have nice things.

"What, hologram bans? Nah we don't need those we'll just serverban people who are shit at holograms :^)"

If they existed in real life, would you throw a magical d20?

>server ban AND deletion of the holomen
At least we still have the martian bus, right guys?

the rewards are kind of shit, but maybe

>over 25% chance to fuck your whole life up
>best case scenario is xray and some money
nah

jjenjr is a huge doo doo head

anything below 10 is absolutely terrible with some of the best possible outcomes being your arms blow off, anything above 10 is magic jew money (maybe like 10-50 grand) and magic xray vision
hell no

yeah well at least he's not a FAGGOT
THAT'S RIGHT YOU'VE BEEN FOUND OUT

>10
>Arms blow up
>20
>Get money

you don't know me

What else could holopeople even do in their current incarnation? This isn't HRP and there's no customization, it's either chess or violence. Structuring the violence would be good.
Ideally with game mechanics, not laws.

Hell no. The best thing you can get is a relatively small sum of money, whilst there's a bunch of absoutely life-ruining shit, and there's a better chance of being left in a "I have no mouth, yet I must scream" situation than outright death.

They just need to be able to play taser tag and then they're perfect.

REMOVE SUPERMATTER FUCKING WHEN????

I SWEAR TO GOD IT'S NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! EVEN WORSE THAN THE FUCKING SINGULARITY!!!!!

>salty

YOU'RE FUCKING RIGHT I'M SALTY!

Ghost chess has its appeal.

You
Sound
Antagonized

there's an exploit RIGHT NOW that lets MoMMIs fuck with centcomm machinery