Did Greece really outshine other Ancient Cultures

when it came to mathematics, or is that just Eurocentrism

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/12/black-mathematicians-john-derbyshire-fields-medal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

India was also pretty good with mathematics iirc.

Euclid's Elements is the oldest mathematical text book to have a formalized, axiomatic deductive system, therefore launching formal mathematics

its a reason why the Arabs cherished the book, and why it was the dominant textbook for 2000 years

The Egyptians, Babyloniansdid great things with practical math, but Greece definitely outshines them in mathematical legacy

I don't know much about China or India to speak for them

this

double this

triple this

The Islamic Golden Age is my favorite time in history when it comes to studying philosophers and scientists. I wouldn't say it was better than the Greeks, but they revised and continued research on a ton of classical science and philosophy. The caliph founded the House of Wisdom where scholars were instructed to translate all of the world's classical knowledge into Arabic, giving birth to many famous Arabic philosophers and scientists.

Why Greece looked at math through pictures and graphical interpretations, Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī and turned them into equations and expressions known today as algebra. Algebra is derived from al-jabr, one of the two operations he used to solve quadratic equations. Mohammad Musa might have been the first person in history to point to the universality of the laws of physics. Ibn al-Haytham performed several physical experiments, mainly in optics, achievements still celebrated today. He also wrote about gravity some 600 years before the birth of Isaac Newton.

>Polynesians literally exploring the world while Greeks sit around literally playing word games
>Indians building modern functioning urban areas while Greeks don't even believe in the concept of zero

Nice "culture" you got there

Pytheas a greek explorer was exploring Norway and Iceland in 325 BC.

Also don't forget the Greek expeditions into and later colonies in India .

No will ever top the Greeks.

You know you have made it when even modern Europeans are jealous of you and wish to put you down.

Greeks will always be the first, the first people to do science, philosophy and secular politics.

This, India was better.

Decimal system and zero were born in India, wherefrom they spread to Arabia, quadratic equations, π, algebra(independent of the Greeks and roughly in the same time period) and sines were being discussed and theorized on around 400 AD, invented the radical sign, negative quantity, formulated rules for finding permutations and combinations, found the square root of 2, solved indeterminate equations that have become known to Europe about a thousand years later, in Euler's day.

And they did all of that in fucking poetry.

Too bad the Muslims ruined everything.

Reminder that Euclid was a black African.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/12/black-mathematicians-john-derbyshire-fields-medal

The guardian has all semblance of respectability for quite some time. Shame.

Quadratic equations had already been solved by Babylonians

I very much doubt he Explorer either if those, especially considering Phoenicians wouldn't have let him cross the Gibilterra strait

The squares root of two was already known by greeks and possible Babylonians

>Kingdoms composed of mongrels is better than city states composed of based unmixed colonists

>it is impossible for Europeans to have ever been better at something because that would be eurocentrism
>baww I'm soo scared of racists I have to revise history to soothe my fee fees bawww waah
Wow, what a load of neurotic horseshit.

The Greeks outshined India in the classical era. A few centuries later India outshined the Greeks.

That's the truth, if you don't like reality just commit suicide. Now fuck off.

>"Only one out of six blacks is smarter than the average white." Derbyshire pulled these figures from a region near his large intestine.

Actually I think he pulled them from IQ studies.

What kind of numerical system did Hellenes used?

>autistically writes math in words instead of numbers

Muh poetry

It depends whether you mean mathematics that are good for practical purposes or rigorous, abstract math. They had pretty okay practical math, maybe not as good as China, but they BTFO everyone when it comes to rigor which everyone puts a lot of value on in the modern day.

>found the square root of 2

What do you mean by this? Greeks certainly knew there was a such a number and also that it was irrational.

>Also don't forget the Greek expeditions into and later colonies in India .
you mean like the ones that came up when the mauryan empire collapsed and were gone by the time the guptas came around?

>outshined
I am sure you have proofs.
And the eucleidean theory is all well and good, but trigonometry as we know it originates from India.

Im sorry but Al-Khwarizmi does not compare to Isaac Newton in what he did with gravity

Newton launched classical mechanics, Al Khwarizmi did not