/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #1013 - (Not) Green Hill Zone Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7m2FOxWupQE
youtube.com/watch?v=q2R6HWWI59M
youtube.com/watch?v=JsldXPXDXBQ
twitter.com/CyclonX_/status/923219462593105921
youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_cGcvCJHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sn-tzO5YU
youtube.com/watch?v=jdCQ1Ufu3LE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

FAST

>sthg won't die

How would the franchise fare if Sonic was a Rollypolly?

First for Silver a cute!
A cute!!

Alright I admit it, I like it!

So what's going on that's caused SSMB to lose it's shit? Some new demo or something?

I hate this

>my bump and sage stickers came today
They look really nice. Dunno where I'll put them though.

I love this

Remember that time Sally died?

Good times.....

Already explained in the last thread, mate.

I'm okay with this

Well the OP clearly says New Forces Demo and the OP pic is the New Forces Demo, so one could gather that SSMB is flipping their shit over THE NEW FORCES DEMO.

Mine should be here tomorrow.

I also have nowhere to put them but I'll find somewhere eventually.

When?

I'm going to go play sonic games I've never played before, namely the SMS and GG games. What about you, /sthg/? What sonic related things are you doing today?

*well dressed*

I'm pretty happy with the Switch demo, despite it being 30fps and lower resolution, the game did look and play nicely. Its a shame about the 1 minute timer for the stages.

the only smoking she should be doing is being smoking-hot!

How does the whole 30fps for graphics / 60fps for controls thing work out?
Does it feel weird?

I'm gonna post in a Sonic general, maybe play some GBA Sonic & try to mess around with the controls & camera in the devkit. I'll also watch as much footage of the Forces demos as I can find, because I want to see footage of those alternate pathways

kissu

youtube.com/watch?v=7m2FOxWupQE

No actually, the game feels very responsive and I didn't have any trouble controlling anything.

Download?

I finally downloaded a 100% save of SA2 the other day and played Green Hill for the first time.
It was pretty neat, but you can tell they didn't spend much time making it.

Good to hear.
Hopefully the full game is solid for Switch players.

youtube.com/watch?v=q2R6HWWI59M

Gonna practice drawing Sage some more and chill out to some 80's and 90's rock and/or roll.
Might take a nap too.

All I want is a rip of Avatar's Space Port music.
I need it.

Amy is a better fit for Silver

So /sthg/, if you were put in charge of creating a Sonic Adventure styled game, what characters would you use and why?

Pic related in that if they ever decided to make a Sonic Adventure 3 or some other game similar in style, these eight (plus Cream maybe) would be the prime candidates for becoming playable in a hypothetical SA3.

This is probably the best we are going to get for a while. I don't think people will be able to datamine the demo.
youtube.com/watch?v=JsldXPXDXBQ

I am posting in /sthg/ and listening to the music from the Sonic Forces demo. I am also going to make a video about Sonic at some point today. I am not good at drawing at all but I am drawing Sonic scribbles while I do work for my job. If someone walks by and notices my scribbles, hopefully I'll get to talk about Sonic to them. It's a very Sonic-filled day for me today

The only drawings Sage should be in are crappy versions of popular reaction images, silly.

Talking of which, I'm going to practice more.

I realised I made my Sage's head kinda squished.

I feel like posting a very casual looking bat

I will draw today maybe.

I'll take it, god bless

If Omega survives the events of Forces, I hope he get's rebuilt in order to look like pic related.

Can anyone make out the lyrics?

So for anyone who's played Space Port: How's the Avatar? I've been curious about how he controls & plays.

I think Amy is better fit for Silver and Blaze is better for Sonic

It's nice, if a bit generic. The map theme works a lot better.

twitter.com/CyclonX_/status/923219462593105921
boo

Who is it we're fighting for?
Inside this crazy firestorm,
(when?/and?)no one's left to save the world?

In the distance I see the light of hope, shining,
Can't give in or we'll lose it all!

No surrendering, we will carry on, fighting,
Battling to win back our world!

I just want him to survive, bros.. I love his deadpan banter.

but I love her and need MOAR Sage pics always and forever Morty, for a hundred years! For ten more seasons, Morty, Sage pics, just you and me and pictures of Sage!

Who is it we're fighting for
Inside this blazing firestorm
Where no one's left to save the world

In the distance I see the light of hope
Shining
Can't give in or we'll lose it all

No surrendering, we will carry on
Fighting
Battling to win back our world
Battling to win back our world

thanks, anons

Yeah, that was a thing in Generations too. If Boost sticks around in future games, I kinda hope Sonic Team downplays it.

Boost was a mistake

youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_cGcvCJHQ
What a fucking piece of shit 'demo'.

I will look for stuff and someone's collection, watch Boom, and listen to music.

well it's only the first level

why did you post this twice

>Only a 1 minute demo on all stages

Who approved this

History repeats itself again.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sn-tzO5YU

That defence doesn't work anymore now we've seen Space Port, a later level but just as linear.

They should've just let us play the full stages. You can get the 5th Red Ring in Modern GHZ if you go fast enough and use the alternate path so it's not like there's much of the level left.

I've always wanted more DnB in this series.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CHAD MANIA WINS AGAIN

I think the reason they made it so you couldn't finish the stage is due to "spoilers."

I am disappointed that Boost is like Generations in that it's easy as hell to spam, tho. They should have you build up your Boost meter instead of having it already full & you just gotta hit an enemy or hit a Wisp capsule to make it happen.

I still wanna see those alternate paths in Sand Hill, tho

Okay, not sure if I'll be able to do all halloween costumes ideas from the last thread (so feel free to draw them along too, drawpals), but at least I'll try. Let's start with easy one

Tonight, Sage is a Sex Maniac!

Time to fix that

I'm itching for Avatar's Green Hill song and the Supporting Me remix, personally.

youtube.com/watch?v=jdCQ1Ufu3LE

>When you want to play the demo but don't have a switch even know the demo is awful
Is this what being a cuck feels like?

Meant to add: I know Modern Sonic games aren't designed to be the hardest games in the world to play, but that little change could go a long way in making it not as easy to spam. I'm not gonna say Forces is shit or anything, but the handling of Boost going forward needs to change.

The people on here who's played the demo hasn't had much issues yet, so you may be able to enjoy it. But the answer is yes

I hope we don't get close to the image limit before I can dump this comic, I have to take a break for a while though. But I'm over half way done. Give me another hour or two.

Just because you see that ship posted doesn't mean you have to reply to it, user.

It means you didn't waste money on a system with 2 games

Not boost, Generations, Unleashed is not that bad, as I can remember

The demo is literally the tutorial stage cut off.
You can wait a little longer till the actual game.

Decided to take some screenshots of the furthest run I could get in the Green Hill demo stage
1/2

The day stages of Unleashed are great, but the whole thing is dragged down by the Werehog to the point that everyone completely forgets about the day stages.

Why do people complain so much about linearity in Forces when it's arguably been this way since SA1?

2/2 feels good knowing that I got farther than that faggot bragging about playing one segment of the demo with one button. Guy had to jump earlier in the stage so that faggot is a liar.

Thing is, I don't even have that much of an issue with linearity anymore since Sand Hill does have alternate pathways (although they're likely not that great), but people just want linearity to not be a thing anymore in 3D Sonic.

Personally speaking, I never got why some people lose their shit over it, but I can definitely understand the complaints.

>tfw now my hype for the Switch version is back on track after playing this demo

That's a lot of boost pads.

Linearity isn't a problem in itself - Sonic has always been a linear Point A to Point B, afterall, but this is generally offset by having multiple routes.
The problem with the boost games is that they're generally much more constricted in movement - in SA1, as per your example, you still have room to move around, maybe find a shield capsule or the like, before moving on, as well as alternate pathways and whatnot.
Boost games don't really have that.

She looks great!
I'd give her my sweet candy.
Nice work senpai

So how often does he get laid?

All the time.
Never

That entire 3D section could've been 2D and nothing would have changed. That's pretty bad, I think. It's even suffering from the "highway in the sky" problem. Just a very narrow path to run along without much room to move.

Echoing SA1 still had set paths, but you could explore around a bit and find capsules and whatnot on different pathways or hidden in areas you wouldn't normally see if you just run straight through.

What the fuck kind of demo was that? Why am I only allowed to play each character for 60 seconds each? Can I even wrap up the levels with that little time? That sounds impossible, even by playing nearly flawlessly I can only reach the bridges in Green Hill Zone.

Knux is a virgin.
Can't intercourse a Master Emerald

Has no one translated the dialogue in the Forces demo? I figured it would have been done by now.

The Ultimate Permavirgin.

How's Modern control? I keep hearing his path gets stuck in the middle once you reach top speed. Doesn't really give me much hope for the level design to open up at all later on.

It's basically Tails saying "the city is under attack, help us" and Sonic making quips to himself ("Green Hill? More like Sand Hill")

>Why am I only allowed to play each character for 60 seconds each?
If you wanna play the full thing, you gotta play the full game user.

Timed demos are always bullshit, but Sonic Team is anal about showing off full stages

The thing is, I just don't think non-linearity can work for Sonic.
Mostly because one pretty much all games are technically "linear", as they have a clear beginning and end, even Metroid is technically linear, it just has non-linear aspects.

Really, the problem is that Sonic is not open enough.
The SA games might have the OPPORTUNITY to do it, but most of them don't do it very well like SA2. I wouldn't say going two feet off the beaten path is "open".
Again, I don't think the Adventure Games did this much better than the boost games did. Examples that I can think up off of the top of my head are Windy Valley and Metal Harbor.

Sonic does not lend itself well to open level design like Mario does. Because of Sonic's speed you'd have to make large, boring, and empty levels to compensate for that. (see Sonic Utopia).

He's more of a permavirgin than both Silver and Blaze.

>What the fuck kind of demo was that?
I'd have to assume the Switch only nature of the demo is mostly damage control to show people it actually works, considering all the shit that specific version got.

I'm pretty sure the two demos for Generations never had such a limitation.

Isn't it occupied by Tikal and Chaos
that probably make sweet love all days long inside of it?

Only played in portable mode now for testing reasons, so far I can say the game actually has had a visual boost, only major visual downgrade is how much grass in on screen and how much it moves, but things like Eggmans mobile actually got a texture increase

On the more narrow paths like in the beginning of green hill he locks to the middle at top speed, but in the wider parts like after the 2D Segment you have more control.

don't look at the comments section