Finally realized rent is not a waste of money

>finally realized rent is not a waste of money

who here /enlightened/

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's funny OP, I've just realized rent is a waste of money. Planning on moving in with some relatives in two months when my lease ends. Living alone has its perks, but all this rent money I'm spending could be more utilized for far more pressing things.

i live in a condo for 400€ a month,
meanwhile my parents pay 1.1k /month for 30 years, where forced to spent 40k in repairs for a house that's worth 300k and that's being generous

>t.slumlord

>t. flyover land homeowner

> Your situation:
400 x 30 x 12 = 144.000 thrown away
> Parents situation
1100 x 30 x 12 = 396.000 + 40K repairs = 436.000 - 300.000 value of their home = 136.000 thrown away

Your parents are still better off, also don't forget the tax benefits for homeowners which could save them money each year.
Btw 40k in repairs is way too much

Guess what cucklord; your parents can sell their house anytime they want - AND GET THEIR MONEY BACK WHILE YOU WILL NEVER GET THE MONEY YOU SPEND BACK EVER. GO KILL YOURSELF.

>finally buy house
>turn garage into weightlifting room
>add some server racks in there for crypto bots
>buy 5 acres next door
>add a wooded running trail
>got a dog. Adopted some feral cats.
>slowly become day trading neet

Stay miserable cuckcube dwellers.

I don't want to by tied down to a house when every two years I can move jobs and apartment if need be to make 20% more.

You niggers also ignore all the little things that add up when you own a house. I have nothing against owning a home and plan on it one day but some of you talk like owning a house is some Herculean feat and we should all suck your dick for it.

Invite me. I'll suck yo dick

You're forgetting property taxes ($5000+/year)

cool fantasy, too bad it'll never happen

>Monsanto buys all your land for pennies on the dollar
>you spend every night drinking at the county bar

you didn't take in account cashflow, i have 700€/month more money that i can use to invest

also repairs need to be done reguraly, if you wish to sell the taxes/cost's are 10% of the house's value,etc

owning a home if you don't have children is retarded unless it's insanely underpriced or you live paycheck-to-paycheck (it's better to have a house then nothing)

once you have children it becomes different since you are unable to move.

This is my main argument. I like having the option of mobility and I don't like 30 year commitments.

If I knew that I was more stable and going to stay in the same state for the next 7-10 years, I'd be all over buying since rates are still nice and low.

> you never truly own a home, it can always be taken by the government
> you always have to pay property taxes
> if anything breaks you have to fix it
Black mold appears! $5000
Water heater breaks! $4000
Wood for in the roof! $8000
> you must always worry about your home
"What if it burns down in a fire? Better buy fire insurance!"
"What if it is torn down by a tornado? Better buy tornado insurance!"
"What if it's washed away in a floor? Better buy flood insurance!"
> yardwork
> home values don't ALWAYS go up retards
I know you kids may not have been alive in 2008, but it's entirely possible to buy a home for 250k, pay it for 29 3/4 years, have the neighborhood suddenly go to shit, and have a home worth 75k for the next 60 years. If you don't think that happens then you're wrong.
> you can't easy leave for a new job, or you might miss out on additional opportunities

Wood rot*

>> home values don't ALWAYS go up
this is especially true now as we are approaching the 2006 highs before the crash, and millennials are shit ass poor with loads of student debt, and baby boomers have no retirement savings because they bought mcmansions filled with particle board. not a good time to buy.

ME.

fuck the lazy landlord. I will jist fix it myself.

Fuck ever owning. Liability feom lawsuit theft. Unleveraged money rotting. Shit like a tree thst crushed my garage in and $3,000 ti faggits to cut trees from over my house and power lines and shit. This is after i spent 1200 i didbt really have and then over 1,000 on a tree over our house.

I perpetually dump over 1,000 bucks a month into shoddy work on a shithole ready for the bulldozer.

It was built in 1800s and not cared for a day since.

FUCKIT. Will buy and rent 500 properties and rent from a slumlord...

How to server?

Want pray game.

Minecraft.

Rain yesterday.

Holes in garage and tree on it.

Get tools to tarp it.

Brand new craftsman cordless tools and bostich nail gun pair sitting in tub full of water feom roof leak.

$1,000 ina trash.

Owning a home is the biggest clusterfuck...

Top fucking zozzle. I was building new houses in 2008. Thanks great recession. Guess ill die now

Its gonna be yuge.

Prime time for me to real estate, make that money, cash out into oil and memestocks or something. Maybe keep s few homes. Dunno

Fuck own home.

Wind blow...roof come off
Rain fall...basement flood
Warm weather...house full mice and roach
Cold weather...furnace explode

Fuck own. Only rent.

What about the fact that even if your property goes down in price you can still leave it to future generations?

Just think of all the memecoins your kids can buy since they don't have to pay rent or mortgage.

Yeah I definitely want some crappy old home with a moldy ac, water stains on the ceiling, and 20 layers of paint. Thanks mom and dad...

nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.php

advanced settings for opportunity cost

100 annual real estate 1-2% annually, dow or sp500tr ~9%

Both are useless compared to free housing. If you can make a friend or two and live with them and split costs you can save even more.
Rent/Housing isn't affordable for most of the world, they get by just fine without it by making do with what they have.
Moreover, there's lots of cheap housing solutions like cob houses and shipping container homes. The cost of the usual house is usually highly inflated value because people think people are going to get a bank to give them the ridiculous amount.
There's no reason to do either if you care about the money first.

Unless you have [insert price of house] cash on hand, you're going to be paying some amount of money on housing, be it rent or interest on a mortgage.

With renting, you don't have to maintain the place or pay half the utilities. If you live in a place with central HVAC, when it totally goes out, it can cost up to $2k just in parts. In most places that's 2+ months of rent. You do get a lot out of renting.

Renting a suite from a family member for cheap or free is a better option. Having your parents as roommates would fucking suck tbqh.

>Black mold appears! $5000
>Water heater breaks! $4000
>Wood for in the roof! $8000
or just repair it yourself

this was my dream, i came so close to fruition, had a small loan lined up, $65k offer accepted, small cabin in the woods, 10 acres, -planned to turn it into farmland and personal exercise space while putting another $20k in to build solar generator with backup propane tanks, day trade neet paradise, last thing I needed was insurance coverage, no single company would cover due to lack of electric hookup, I planned to pay $8k as soon as I moved in to hook up to town power, was about $20k short to straight up pay cash, plan fell through, gambled all my $80k away, now homelss

>paying for a service is considered a waste of money
Why are people so retarded

>not living in a van
Cucks

Tell that to the people who bought houses up until the housing market crashed. People became trapped in their houses, paying way more for their houses than they were worth.

All the people who were just renting and sitting on their extra cash, were able to step in and bought house for 40 cents on the dollar, while all the "i own a house" faggots were underwater with their mortgages for more than double the price.

Buying a house right now, or even in the past couple years, is buying at the top, like everyone was doing in 2005, 2006, and 2007.

The housing market will take a shit again in about two years. Not as bad as the last one, but housing will go down to at least 70 cents on the dollar.

All the people who have been renting will be able to step in and buy houses for discounted prices, again, and everyone who already owns a house will be underwater, just like last time.

So run out there and buy a house so you can tell other people you "own a house" and how smart you are with money compared to people who rent.

A lot of people have already started dumping their houses at these peak prices, so they can take the cash and wait for prices to drop again. They are getting apartments and watching everyone get sucked in to high housing prices.

Houses are not "homes". You buy them low and sell them high, just like stocks. The "home" thing is a meme.

My job requires 100% travel so i just crash at my sister's rent free when im in town.

Is buying cheap land a safer bet then a home?

prob not allowed to build on the land.

Good post. I think you just convinced me to stop dreaming about owning a house for the next few years.

1.) Buy cheap empty land in the middle of nowhere.
2.) Attach a door to the ground in the middle of the land, so that looks like it leads to an underground tunnel.
3.) Put up a fence around the land, with "top secret - government property" signs all over the fence.
4.) Send out anonymous emails to news outlets about the "top secret goverrnment bunker" you discovered out in the middle of nowhere.
5.) The tinfoil hats will rage about it, and post all over the internets about "what may be inside it".
6.) Wait a few months, and then sell it to one of the tinfoil hats at an inflated price, saying that you "can no longer be a part of a government alien cover up".
7.) You get profit, and the tinfoil hat gets land with a door that goes to nowhere.

Don't forget traps everywhere

Fucking feds better fuck off or they get glass in the face bombs lol

Simply, its no strings. You rent, you don't like, fuck it move somewhere else.

Mortgage, all the legal shit, gotta get someone else to buy the house. You end up paying more than it's worth, and can easily end up fucked if the economy collapses (depending on the mortgage type).

It's absolute slavery. You are paying (((the lenders))) to buy your house for you. When you simply have to ask yourself - why? Fact is one day you are going to die, and you've wasted all that money just to own bricks, or even wood. When you could have saved, and invested that money instead, and maybe bought that house 10x over.

>giving money to literal jews (landlords)
>not living with mummy dearest and being a good little boy in exchange for gbp

As opposed to the other, actual literal jews (bankers)

Living at home, I currently do, when my investments come in I'm fucking outa here :D

Yep. Renting & Mortgaging are both tools Jews use to enslave you.

The redpilled option is to live with your parents. When you are rich in your 30s because of the safety net that your parents provided which allowed you to take risks and become a successful entrepreneur, then you can use your amazing credit to get the cheapest loan available.

>mfw I bought a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 1200 sq ft house for 67,500 (payment is $500 a month, including taxes and insurance) that isn't a pile of shit and in a neighborhood with no niggers.

Your forgetting homestead exemption.

Forgetting English.

>implying I forgot anything
Nigga I just don't know

What country? State?

Live with mum
oooor
Rent in a house and pull girls to sweet pad

Owning land is the dream I save up for. Waiting for the mass Boomer die-off though.

>Crypto bots

This guy is into things

Well this thread just convinced me to not buy a house or rent for the next decade

K. Try comparing rent of a similar sized home in in your parent's area to buying a home of a similar size in your parent's area.

Anyway, how do you plan to raise my kid in your studio apartment? cuck

>He thinks this land will free up and be affordable for him.

Idk where you live but housing prices are never going back.

> $ = land / population
One of those is fixed, it's basic economics--the stupidity is unreal.

If you bought a home at the height before the real estate crash, you're still be better off today if you held. Look up historical data in your area. You're the types that get pumped and dumped for all your worth in crypto. Oh no! ETH is crashing, sell sell sell!

Please do your future self a favor and buy a fucking condo. In a city, and enough altitude about sea level to withstand climate changes the next 30 years. And if you want to live somewhere else, just rent it out to some other dumbass. And once you turn into real men, sell it, and slap your huge throbbing chunk of change for a down payment on a bigger/fancier place.

this

>Anyway, how do you plan to raise my kid in your studio apartment? cuck
Rent a bigger place for the kids.
Rent a bit smaller when the kids are out of the house, possibly somewhere more scenic.
Rent a studio with elderly care when he's so old he can barely walk to the kitchen any more.

> my son is growing big and strong, causing a ruckus
> downstairs neighbor keeps banging ceiling
> your wife can't handle it and keeps "going to her mother's"
> finally man up, rent your first home for $1.5k/mo
> but actually it's 10 years later so now $3/mo
> barely makes ends meets, have to downsize again
> wife leaves you, takes the kids
> downsize to $1.2k/mo appt (equivalent of $300/mo today)
> jerk off everyday & watch twitch.tv
> become old
> system takes what little social security gives you, because my god you don't have an IRA
> get put into the shittiest nursing home
> die alone

Learn what equity is, and rewrite that story.

Depends on circumstances. In my city it's better to buy a small apartment than to rent but rent a big apartment is better than buying.

Buying:
70sqm in central
600,000€ (1000€ interest, 300€ building maintenance pay, 500-600€ bigger renovation once every 20 years /m)

Or rent 1300€/m and no stress for anything

Funny enough it sounds like 3 people I know. Damn man. I'm 22 but I already so fucking cynical of life. Literally being frugal as fuck and buying gold whenever I have money. (Go to pawnshops buy at discount then go to a local smelter to have it purified and into a bar). I stopped eating out period. Make payments to my Roth IRA whenever I don't have enough gold to smelt. Day to day feels like fucking runescape in how dry my life is but watching how my high school mates flounder left and right due marriages/divorces, stupidly leveraged even with a 48k job and more broke than I am, reading up on real estate and how its back up to 2004 in prices. I literally feel like a tinfoil hat idiot...Also I honestly don't know if the level of employment is really that healthy more than a few recent grads I know can't find work 3-6 months even with Bs in Accounting and the like. I'm banking on Hallelujah, am I mad?

Depends on circumstances. In my city it's better to buy a small apartment than to rent but rent a big apartment is better than buying.

Buying:
70sqm in central
600,000€ (1000€ interest, 300€ building maintenance pay, 500-600€ bigger renovation once every 20 years /m)

Or rent 1300€/m and no stress for anything

>tornado
>flood
>mold
>wood
Or you know, you could just get a home that's not in a risky area, and maintain it.
>yardwork
Don't plant stuff, cut the grass every few weeks or get some neighbor to do it for you for cheap.

:D
Dont be ashamed to live with mum

>Try comparing rent of a similar sized home
what a stupid worthless comparison, if you don't need a house and a yard and 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms that makes no sense

>how do you plan to raise my kid in your studio apartment
THIS
this is the only reason to buy, it's why normal people buy houses
but if you never want kids, YOU SHOULDN'T BUY

Easy 1 to 5 leverage is the only reason to buy a house. Otherwise you are much better off renting and putting your down payment in equities.

You would still be better served putting your money in equities after a 70% retraction than real estate.

I'm all about buying land with zilch for property tax. Even then, have the land produce something small to cover that. Housing yes, go minimal. Only reason to go big is for woman/family, and let's be honest... that won't be happening

There's a piece of this that most of you 18-24 year olds are missing.

Generally speaking, rentals (and especially apartments) tend to be in less desireable parts of town with lower property values, higher crime, worse schools, and overall lower socioeconomic status. This may not be true in London, NYC, or Seattle, but it's true in 90% of cities/towns.

So if you want to stay single your whole life and don't care about having Ahmed building bombs next door while Scooter cooks meth upstairs and De'Andray blasts his rap music across the hall loud enough that he can hear it while he and his homies shoot hoops and smoke weed in the parking lot, then by all means rent an apartment. It is very likely much cheaper, by any measure, than owning a home in a subdivision.

That said, there's a value to safety. There's a value to living among people with similar socioeconomic status with similar life goals. There's a value to knowing your car won't get broken into overnight, not just because of your subdivision's low crime rate but also because you have your own locked garage to park it in.

And if you ever have kids, you'll want them to be safe, to attend good schools, and to have a yard to play with their friends in.

There are things in life that have value that may not show up on a balance sheet.

Hmmm. I rent an apartment/condo in a town but I think the average house here is about 500,000, the crime rate is absurdly low, one of the best education districts in the country, all white, suburban, etc. My rent is $1750 a month though before utilities, internet, etc.

Also I'm only 21 and married and I'm not in NYC or Seattle or anything like you said or anything, just Philadelphia.

I feel like I contradict everything you've just described.

>> Your situation:
>400 x 30 x 12 = 144.000 thrown away
Reason this is flawed logic: Inflation
Rent will increase, parent mortgage payment is locked in.
It's much better off to own

>Parents are locked into a mortgage
>He can leave whenever he wants

The plus side of renting an apartment is you get to live your own way like an adult should. The downside is it takes a substantial portion of your wage slave income.

A more ideal scenario would be to buy a nice van and live in that. Then you get all the perks of living on your own with all the expenses.

*without all the expenses.

>Married at 21

Not as lavish as it may seem. I'd rather pay rent and have a little dignity than have to park overnight in parking lots and shit in a can

fucking what

>no mortgage
>no rent

I don't see the issue.

I think anyone who romanticizes van dwelling has not done it for any substantial amount of time. I'm not arguing for massive homes but even RVs are claustrophobic after some time.

Rent=possible short term investment in your conformity
Own= actual investment in your future

What if you get sick and can't work for 3-4 months, you still have to pay(while, being sick on your property gives you some options, worst case scenario you rent rooms or something) next, you can't own anything bigger than 2-3 travel suitcases, landlords usually are crazy fucks.
I could go whole day, from paying interests for your house not some stranger.

Also, I'm more for owning an apartment(s), not house,house IS another job, always something, you can't chill when work mode off(I honestly care very much about time spent working, I don't have 30 lives so I can waste one on job, and I see job as something that parasite's my time on this planet, unfortunately, I'm not minority that see's their jobs as an hobby/some form of fulfillment, just an end to meet needs).
Its more financially viable if you don't care about living in what's basically an birdcage.

This is probably temporary option for really young people(with some safenet somewhere),
serious life starts when you drop anchor somewhere.

You can use walmarts toilets. Shower at any truck stop.

Its an outdoorsy life. If you dont like the outdoors its probably not for you.

Philadelphia is a major metropolitan area. Just like NYC or Seattle.

except for shit internet and a shit laptop only

Wrong.

Rent = throw away your money
Own = Dead money

A house is dead money if it's not generating you income. In fact most houses are negative yielding investments since you usually pay more for loan servicing than the house appreciates.

So what's the best option? Live with your parents or get the cheapest loan you can and buy the cheapest property you can. Anything else is consumption spending and cuts into the money you can invest into actual income generating assets.

>paying for internet
Dude. Theres. free wifi literally everywhere.

And free wifi is shit

> feels like fucking runescape
> smelting gold bars
Umm... nice fantasy?

>look how happy we are
nice pissjug

It's actually not. Now that dual band dual freq routers exist most public wifi i use is usually plenty fast enough for streaming video. Might not be fast enough for games but im not a manchild so that's not an issue for me.

>not a manchild
>unironically defends living in a van

>i have to live in a box to be considered a man
>living in a box on wheels means im not a man
ok guy.

only if you like to change places a lot
staying at one place for years and paying rent is retarded

>Paying to live in an asset you won't ever own or have rights to (once your lease is up).
>Not a waste of money

Pick one

Only way you may be able to justify it is if you're a complete 10/10 and have girls wanting to fuck every day, but can't afford buying a house yet. But I'm guessing that's not the case for 99+% of us.

Fucking genius.

I believe that, except in rare instances like recently, basically the price of rent is adequate payment considering the risk taken on by homeowners. Houses in general are overvalued as fuck though and we shouldn't let people borrow money to buy them.

it's also a nigger filled shithole that's way worse

there are apartments in wealthy white suburbs, this is not a valid argument