/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #1014 - Let Go Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=01Gfv7B-Lik
youtube.com/watch?v=ROsa6Ofzjfw
timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20171107T00&p0=179&msg=sonic forces&ud=2&font=hand
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm going to miss him.

*Catches fast Sonics*

Slow

>"Let it go.....my son."
youtube.com/watch?v=01Gfv7B-Lik

All Buddy OCs exist to be lewded, even yours.

Which animal are you going to use primarily?

First for Silver a cute!
A cute!!

A kitty with itty bitty titty!

i'd be a hedgehog fag

How do I get Silver and the other cucks on Speed Battle?

huggu

Silver gonna be real crispy after that

Omega's flicky x Blaze best ship

Fake hedgehog.

Just played the demo for about an hour. Not a huge fan of how it controls, mainly because I didn't feel like I was in control at all. It felt like I was being guided by an invisible force the entire time where it felt I was kind of playing, but not really. Maybe that's what Sonic Forces stands for after all. It "forces" you this way and that without your permission.
Sonic's side-scrolling boost speed is noticeably weakened which I'm not a huge fan of. Boosting should be a double-edged sword if you're not confident in your usage of it, but now that it's this slow there's no risk in using it.
OC felt way too light and its momentum would often leave me feeling out of control as well. Perhaps, if I had more time to warm up to the gameplay, I would feel better about it, but as it stands I feel that this is a step down from Generations in the controls department.

With that said, anyone want to work on the Sonic Character Controller project tonight? Some user said they were going to tinker with it this morning. Anything ever come of that?

I wonder if the 60 second time limit isn't giving you enough time to get used to the controls

Oh yeah, I was that user. Just came home a few minutes ago, so I'm gonna fire that thing up

WHY DOES SONIC STAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 3D SECTIONS?!?!?!? IT WOULD FEEL LESS LINEAR IF NOT FOR THIS!!!!!!!

>It felt like I was being guided by an invisible force the entire time where it felt I was kind of playing, but not really.
Because you are. The game auto-directs you towards the center when moving fast in the 3D sections. And when approaching ramps or scripted sequences it takes over on its own too.

bad game

Yeah, this was a common complaint even amongst people who liked Modern's gameplay in Forces. I don't know why they made that decision.

why is this game not in america yet

To each his own. Personally, I like the scriptedness of the 3D games.

good game

Is this what happens when they get rid of drift?

>webm
that is how they need to do sonic.
Huge, vast open landscapes to zoom through from one objective to the next.
Shame SEGA are either lazy or cowards.

Meant to add: Some anons here say that you have more freedom in the 2D sections, but even so, that just begs the question of why they made it like this in the 3D sections.

They didn't get rid of drift

Not really

Ya really

How do you drift then? I tried every button and not a one allowed me to drift, and even if I could sonic just stays in the middle so there's no point at all.

While a nice idea in theory, it wouldn't work as a full game.

You can let go Buddy. We won't think less of you.

Tails or Amy dying in Forces might actually give us an emotional reaction out of Sonic.

Anyone have the newest Sonic Boom episode yet?

it would if done correctly.
Needs big areas connecting to smaller areas where speed slows but skill and accuracy become important.
Some story to link the journey from one end of the globe to the other and lots of side quests and stuff to do away from main story mode.

You can't drift on command, but we've seen drifting in both avatar stage and tag team stages.

On demand drifting was likely removed due to how you could abuse it in Generations.

I think something similar could, but it would take a lot of time, effort & work to pull it off properly.

I would

Agreed.

what the fugnuggets is that thing

But that was one of the fun parts about it. I'd rather abuse the drift then just hold forward because at least I'm doing something. It really upsets me because everything else about sonic controls better than generations.

Possibly.

Sweet. Let me know if you have any questions.

Now, to be fair, during these sections there really isn't much "3D" to be had anyway. If you could turn left and right during these sections what would you hope to accomplish?
On the other hand, this is a video game. if the level design dictates that you can only move forward and the controls themselves dictate that you can only move forward then you're not making any choices as a player and, therefore, aren't really "playing a video game," right? Even if the level design only has one path, if I choose to jump off the side and die that should be my choice as a player. It would be a stupid choice, sure, but it would be mine.

After working on Green Hill Paradise I feel that level design more akin to Clover Heights is more the direction I'd like to see Sonic go in. Not "open world," but open enough to explore and find alternate routes in. Take Adventure, but make it more physics-based and design the levels around Sonic's slope physics.

Amy, wipe your mouth, you kinky little ladyhog.

>slope physics
This.
Speed as a reward for skillful play, not just a button to boost with.

Also, haven't played C-Heights as laptop can't handle the awesome, but looking forward to playing once I upgrade le toaster.

I did like how Clover Heights played.
Granted, some of the platforming geometry needs some work as I found myself getting stuck on it or bouncing off at weird angles, but as a small project it's a solid basis and being able to use the actual environment - including non scripted loops - to enhance player movement and speed is how it should be.

Eggman.

Yeah, something more open that'll allow for exploration would be nice. Also, I standby what I said earlier about Boost that having the meter full from the very beginning & the only thing you need to do is "hit capsule or destroy enemy" is stupid. Just having the bar start off empty & making it a reward for playing skillfully could go a long way in helping that gameplay style, should Sonic Team go back to it.

I don't even think Forces gameplay is all that bad (although I care more for the games story), but the Boost gameplay is really starting to show its flaws

In hindsight, we have the gameplay and engines that fans have made but just about no one tries to do Adventure-style level design. It's all boost-like or really wide open.

OH NO ELISE!!
BETTER SPEED UP!!

Mach zones were a mistake but I feel they would have at least been playable if they had a sidestep button.

post the full pic please

Darn, were not gonna make it, Let's speed up

I think the concept of mach speed zones is pretty fun, but yeah the side step button is needed.

Why is she sad? Also what he said

Sounds good to me.

Did something happen? I was gone for a few days.

Forces demo on the Switch was released. JP only, so if you wanna play it, just change your region.

I wanna lick that tummy

Sonic's loss would be my gain

Goddamn, that's one lewd suit.

No matter what happens, I'll always love and never abandon this series. It never fails to help me through the rough patches in my life and give me a tiny bit of happiness as I spend it with all of these long loved friends,

Amy is for loving

she's easy to love

Full pic in /trash/ please?

Posted just for you, friend.

Thankee, user

>Opens up Player_Sonic_Modern in devkit
>Sets Spin Dash charging to 5, maximum charging to 200 & ball animation speed to 8
>Starts Spin Dashing
>Clouds literally fly off the screen
That's pretty cool. Fucking around with the speed to see how fast Sonic could go is fun too

Why is everyone complaining? There's nothing wrong with the demo.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, user

Can't wait to see you guys in Sonic Forces to battle my sworn nemesis!

youtube.com/watch?v=ROsa6Ofzjfw

There are only 13 days left until Sonic Forces is out. Yes that's right, there are just thirteen (the number you are afraid of if you have triskaidekaphobia) days left to go until Sonic Forces is released in the US.

timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20171107T00&p0=179&msg=sonic forces&ud=2&font=hand

The one minute limit is pointless and a blatant method of trying to hide how short the stages really are. Even if you beat the boss in time, it still goes to the thanks for playing screen and doesn't save results at all, showing it's not intended whatsoever for people to be able to speedrun these to the point of completion before it runs out. Sonic auto-centers on 3D paths, effectively making him more on-rails than even Secret Rings and Black Knight which at least promoted side-to-side movement. The level design is empty and abysmal compared to predecessors, to the point that even if you reach the alt routes in Modern Green Hill, they're just more setpieces that strip control rather than platforming.

It's dumb.

There's nothing good with it either.

Shadow is for

Oh, thank you!

Not true, there was little framerate issues on the Switch demo, which was a big concern of mine for that version.

The auto-centering on 3D sections is bullshit & the level design is not mind-blowing, but that was a relief for me

maybe SEGA should've pulled a saints row 3 (or was it 4) where they released just the character creator so you could fiddle around with that then upload the save to the game proper.

D'aww. Don't forget to upload it later on booru (preferably in bigger resolution. I mean, "preview" itself is two times bigger than full pic)

>There are people genuinely excited and will get Shitty Forces

Maria.

Wonder where she's gonna stick that thing?

I swear you sonic fans act as if they showed us 06 levels of gameplay. You guys like to bitch and moan over nothing. If forces does fail I hope sega never makes another sonic game because of how ungrateful you are.

cheerleading

probably her pocket or in her bra for safekeeping. I imagine flying with an jewel in your hand isn't very aerodynamic

It's alright user! It's a Boost Sonic with an OC maker where you can create wolves and hedgehogs! This game is going to make bank for Sega!

Wasn't Odyssey shitty too?

I wanna get your game too, Mario. Don't be that type of ex-plumber.

>Inb4 06 had better gameplay
Both sides have been extremely annoying with the overreaction, but the genuine criticisms given towards the demo is not really bitching & moaning. Yeah, going full "WHY DO THIS TO US, SEGA!? I'M DONE WITH SONIC!" over this is retarded, but there's actual problems with what we've seen/

>You should eat up everything that's given to you otherwise you're ungrateful
Fuck off

there are a lot of people who are genuinely excited. It's not like every Sonic fan is speaking negatively about it. And besides, there's nothing wrong with expressing opinions. I wish people were nicer about it and didn't act like opposing views are inferior but still, everyone should be heard

Daily reminder that there are no bad Sonic games, just mostly mediocre ones.

Because you don't get attention by not shitposting

Meant to add: There's a difference between saying that auto-centering & unimpressive level design is bad & being an utter jackass to anyone who says anything positive about Sonic Forces, like pic related. I can say good & bad about a lot of things with Forces & I can say when I love a lot of the things they've shown off, and give my thoughts on things I didn't like. Hell, there's things I like & don't like about the demo myself

Depends. Is forces trending on devianart.

>he hasn't seen the review scores

06 was awful and I will not accept any form of revisionism from kids trying to make it sound "not that bad".