Minecraft General - /mcg/ - Souless Edition

Previous thread →

► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, building ideas, etc...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[ ! ]For 1.10+ Use foamfix and Optifine with terrain animated turned off

► 2. NEWS

[30 jun 2017] Noodlor's Castle Collection is completed! Including a world-download.
> imgur.com/a/NeywO

[14 may 2017] GoG update is finished
> mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/228948-grimoire-of-gaia

[02 jan 2017] Asie has been working on asie.pl/foamfix/, which remedies 1.10+ RAM issues,
as well as a few others, github.com/FabricMC, [YouTube] Silent Charset update.

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

/mcg/ General text (use it to contribute news and info for the next thread!)
> public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

Modding Tools & documentation
> mcforge.readthedocs.io
Curse downloader
> github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader
Explaination of how do stuff for newfags
>public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq

Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
> serblist.com
> docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

Ideas & Inspiration
> mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
> elworrier.imgur.com/
> imgur.com/a/JPif9

Castlefag's map
> mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u7wAJTGl2gc
strawpoll.me/14255510
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for birb

disgusting, real men would post an emu

>emu
Do you want to trigger the aussies?

Is IC2 an objectively better mod than the Thermal series and Mekanism?

unironically yes

Mek is op but fun and looks better and TE is MAWPC. I would compare IC2 to Buildcraft and Mek where Buildcraft is simple yet cheap and Mek is OP but more expensive. So IC2 is simple yet fucking expensive for balansh

Mekanism is a billion times more MAWPC than TE.

I think it's OP, I know the ore excavator is bs and that the powergen is too powerfu but it's more complex than TE. Specially on ore processing which it's fun to setup the whole thing rather than just have a 2x3 wall full of the TE crushing machines processing the ore and easily passing it to the next machine.
I haven't played TE in a longwhile though, but I do know that it's easier than Mek

I don't get the whole MAWPC thing. It's not difficult, even without tech mods, to get to a point where you can easily stay alive and even take on the bosses. Once you get far enough, tech mods are more about designing factories and bases and less about the actual difficulty present in minecraft. So what if one tech mod allows you to output ten times the ingots with one piece of ore? What the hell are you going to use all that metal for, anyway?

boi
youtube.com/watch?v=u7wAJTGl2gc

OH SHIT NEW VIDEO OH YES

>bosses
>having anything to do with the "point" of minecraft

>I haven't played TE in a longwhile though, but I do know that it's easier than Mek
Oh hell no. You get more out of fewer resources with Mek. TE is definitely not easier.
Mek is only "harder" when it comes to ore tripling+ and setting up the logistics for that because I don't think TE has that functionality at all. But when it comes to resources required for equivalent functionality (ie. basic ore processing, power generation) Mek is way more powerful and accessible than TE.

>So what if one tech mod allows you to output ten times the ingots with one piece of ore?
It's just unrealistic at that point, familad. If I wanted to cheat I'd just spawn shit in with JEI.
ie, MAWPC

>So what if one tech mod allows you to output ten times the ingots with one piece of ore? What the hell are you going to use all that metal for, anyway?
The problem is that most that use Mawpc mods do this
>Create world
>Use mawpc mod
>Reach endgame easily because I didn't have to grind/place tought into my machines setups
>Delete world
>Repeat
MAWPC isn't that much about being overpowered since combat sucks but rather on making tech way too easy that you might as well play creative. If you get 10 ingots so easily from a single ore then you won't be going to mine or take things slowly and just rush your way through things. And trust me when most players don't want to build with what they make, but rather to just retry a new world.

MAWPC mostly entails removing the fun/challenge of automating certain things.

TE is easier from a gameplay standpoint.
Mek actually requires a tiny bit of work to get things all set up (unfortunately it only starts this in the higher tiers) where as TE is basically the apple of tech mods, it jest werks so retards can use it.
Mek is only slightly better mind you, but TE is essentially the floor.

I still don't see what basis you have for this. Mekanism machines do the same shit the TE machines do, require fewer resources, are faster, have higher throughput, etc.

>Mek is only "harder" when it comes to ore tripling+ and setting up the logistics
That's why it's less MAWPC, you wouldn't say BC is MAWPC because it has cheap recipes, since it compensates with pipes and slow machinery. Mek (on a lower scale) compensates being cheaper by the need to set up logistics and the ore quintupling which like you said TE doesn't have as complex, that's what makes TE MAWPC.

While the beginnings of the mods are the same, higher tier mekanism shit requires some basic logistics and thought whereas TE is all just upgradable magic blocks the whole way through.

Resources don't (and never) matter, it's how much thought it takes in order to get those resources.
The thought is the fun, or is supposed tob e.

This, at least Mek has nice looking things and good random adittions so that makes it a little bit better than what I think you are putting it as.
The mental logistics, not everything it's either dirt cheap but bad or grindy but good. Having to setup good logistics justifies something being OP in my opinion.

So while we're on the topic of tech mods and balancing, what's /mcg/'s opinion on Immersive engineering?

>by the need to set up logistics and the ore quintupling
That wouldn't make Mek harder because Mek still covers most of what TE covers but for fewer resources and setup. Mek just has a "deeper tech tree" if you will. You can say Mek is better on that basis and I would agree with you, but to say that TE is easier? That's pretty misleading.

I love it, but I have nothing to say about its balance or lack thereof

I like the look of the waterwheel and windmills

double fail. Fuck it.

>adding random microcrafting before promised features like nuclear reactors that would improve shit
>inane iron cost
>no proper way to speed up steel production
other than that it's alright

wires are elder god tier
the rest is pretty, but kind of unimaginitive

TE has magic blocks which sure they can be a little more expensive to make but at the long run getting materials isn't that hard and they are easier to setup. Mek on the other hand has you need to think how to place the machinery and connect it with everything else, and also have you think how to fit it in your base unlike TE which you can place everything in a small wall without problems.
It's gonna eat your steel resources so you better produce that in mass. It's balanced around steel which is easy to get but it outstands mostly on the multiblocks and how everything on the mod is aesthethic, if you want it you better want to decorate your base with pretty things.

Mek machines literally have the same functionality as most TE machines and they behave in mostly similar ways. The machines that require more logistics provide entirely unique functionality that separates Mek from TE. You can and should stress the fact that Mekanism's "unique content" is more involved than TE's, but when it comes to the functionality they share Mek is way easier. You get way more rf/t from Mek machines, the recipes are simpler and cheaper, the machines are faster and require the exact same kind of logistics, etc.

frogserb when

The higher tiers of any tech mod are the only thing worth talking about, the first tier and second tier are always going to be derived from IC2, so when talking about a tech mod's features you almost always ignore the lower tiers.

TE stays shitty magic blocks the whole way through, mek does not.
Ergo, it is easier.

>so when talking about a tech mod's features
Discussion wasn't about unique features. It was about which mod is easier.

Which is TE.
Due to having no technical progression in features whatsoever beyond the default.
While mek does.

How much stuff it can output and at what rates is irrelevant.
It's how far in technical terms the mod goes from macerate > furnace.

Mek does most of what TE does with a simpler, less costly, more productive everything - logistics included.

However mek has a deeper and more reward tech tree. To say it's "harder" instead of "it has a deeper tech tree" is completely nonsensical to me.

I fucked up by saying Te is easier but the original deal was that you said Mek was more mawpc which is not.

I just got home and am exhausted. I'm sorry for hyping stuff up early but I need a nap before I finalize the pack. If you want to help, play around with the COFH fractal ore gen and help me find a satisfying balance that has similar amounts of ore to vanilla on average.

>>Mek does most of what TE does with a simpler, less costly, more productive everything - logistics included.
>However mek has a deeper and more reward tech tree. To say it's "harder" instead of "it has a deeper tech tree" is completely nonsensical to me.
Except both mek and TE have fairly deep tech trees with pretty obvious progression.
However, Mek does not jest werk the whole way through.
TE does.
All of TE's machines are magic blocks.
Mek's stop being magic blocks after the third tier.

What part of
>the first two stages of any tech mod are irrelevant when comparing them
and
>the number of resources aren't relevent either, it's how much thought goes into getting them
MAWPC does not mean suddenly you have tons of shit.
MAWPC means trivialization of mechanics, which is the entire purpose of TE.

Don't sweat it man. Just wanna ask, is the server gonna be in burgerland?

>the first two stages of any tech mod are irrelevant when comparing them
That's the only way to compare them that makes any sense when referring to difficulty.

>MAWPC means trivialization of mechanics, which is the entire purpose of TE.
Can you give some examples of how TE trivializes mechanics?

If that means US then yes, sorry. Probably hosted in NY.

oh.
Thanks anyway.

Where are you at that the latency is intolerable? I'm willing to host elsewhere based on where the majority of players are.

>is fork-user still around?

I'm always around

I'm in Europe and my internet is shit atm.
Also I don't know if it's due to shitty netcode, but I feel like Minecraft always gets worse latency than other games. Like, I'd get 100-200 ms on TF2 playing on American servers, yet it's always +1000 ms on an American Minecraft server.
It's ok, I'll give it a try. If not I'll embrace 127.0.0.1.

>This time I'm going to make it to the nuclear reactor for sure!
>can't automate mid tier power in a way I like
>get frustrated and move on to something else
What IC2 generator do you usually use after the geothermal?

It's kind of like magic mods in 1.10+. Looks gorgeous, interesting take on infrastructure, not a whole lot there.

The problem with your entire point is that it feels like you're basing the entire quality of a mod on whether or not it has magic blocks.
And hell, everything you said about trivializing mechanics also applies to Mek.
>machines are cheap as fuck
>the mod makes steel easy as fuck to produce because it's a vital component for the mod, despite how difficult it is to produce with other mods
>machines usually require less energy/work than the ones from other mods
>they can be compressed up to 7x in the same block
>energy production is ridiculous
>ore tripling is trivial, ore multiplication only becomes challenging from 4x on
>energy cables are actually the cheapest among all tech mods due to how the amount they transfer is calculated
>they also convert RF into EU on the fly if you use IC2
>and if you use IC2 it also makes circuit production babby mode
Nonetheless Mek is fun as fuck and I love it, the only reason why I don't use it in my 1.7.10 packs is because fucking Forge MultiBloat

It's my favorite for several reasons, but keep in mind I've only played the latest version for 1.7.10. I like how almost everything isn't just a single block machine. I like the way it does electrical wiring. I like conveyor belts more than pipes. It makes me feel like I'm actually getting industrial, whereas most other tech mods are generally too compact and "advanced" to feel like that.

This make me wonder, what is a **good** tech mod? TE and Mek aren't good, that's for sure.

unironically gregtech

>you can set MineMenu to do unassigned keybinds
Holy fucking shit this changes everything
Why did I ignore this mod my entire life

Honestly I think I've been playing the same tech mods too much that I've forgotten about it, but most of your points can apply to Buildcraft or Railcraft and that doesn't make them MAWPC, if anything they are better than both TE and Mek
Buildcraft, Magneticraft

which one is the best version to play the beta?

>MAWPC
???????

I like the mobs in divine rpg, but I dislike all the rest it adds. It's not that the mod is bad, but ores arent in the dictionary and see mto not want to enter with tweaks properly and no other mod seems to have cross compatibity with them, the weapons and armors are op as fuck, and I dont like going to other planes much, I prefer to stay at tthe overworld and explore a bit while biulding a village, only going thru portals for materials. Never tried the spiritual sucessor tho, as it just feels bad,having the same drop style as Terraria. I like to build my weapons and shit, godammit. I need to stop adding mods, I'm a hoarder when it comes to decoration blocks.

Might as well ply creative. People said it some posts go.

Left or right?
yes

Does the brick I'm currently using blend in too much with the natural stone? I'm just getting the basic wall down before I do detailing, but I don't want to put it all up just to tear it down when it ends up looking bad.

Im just confused as to what it stands for, I didn't even ask the question.

I like how the stone looks so far, it blends but stands out enough to tell which one is manmade. Why not make some small thicker stonebricks accents as well?

Seems a bit messy/fussy to me but that might just be me disliking the textures in general.

I think it does blend in rather too much right now. However detailing will probably fix that as long as you're using a different hue and/or brightness for the detail elements.

>it looks good
>it blends too much
Well which is it?

Just accentuate with some thick stone if you feel it's blending too much. Are those texture from a texturepack or from TFC?

It's TFC default. The bricks are made of the same stone as the natural stuff around it.

Might as well play creative, when a tech mod or something from it is too powerful and too easy that trivializes gameplay.
Answer my question as well please,
or someone else;_;

right

left imo.
I dig the smooth concrete look.

What to do after reaching the endgame of a tech progression mod?

strawpoll.me/14255510
T-thanks.

pack up a bunch of shit and make a new base connected by an underground railway

Add a new mod and mess with it, specially some that adds interesting side content and gimmicks like Forestry, Advanced Rocketry, Galacticraft, Pneumaticraft or the computer mods.

>despite how difficult it is to produce with other mods
to be fair, the difficulty to produce steel in other mods is silly. we're talking about a universe where a 1m^3 furnace made solely out of stone is capable of separating molten metals from slag and casting them into perfect ingots. Also, it can melt metals which have high melting points without any sort of air injection, and coal is treated as a fuel on par with charcoal, where really charcoal and coal coke are more comparable.

it's ideas like that which caused tfc to first be created

I enjoyed TFC but in retrospect it takes things in too extreme a direction for me. I'm OK with suspending my disbelief in a video game but I some degree of progression and internal consistency with the physics would be cool.

Also, I totally forgot, Thermal series also makes steel easy as fuck to produce. 4 Charcoal Dust or 2 Coal Dust (ugh again with the Coal>Charcoal) + Iron = Steel.

The difference is Mek only requires 10 Carbon which is naively 2 (Char)coal or if enriching, 1/4 of a Charcoal. So a bit too cheap but Charcoal is usually easy to automate in modded anyway.

fucking bullshit creepers blew up my redstone

I love redstone
What were you using the redstone for, user?

Border with the right, fill the void with the left.

piston elevator from my mine up to the surface

Anyone else here play on peaceful

I just hate the combat especially post 1.7

how do i get into gregtech

Install Gregtech.

I disable mob griefing in every world. Is that bad?

I can't stand anything less than Hard, and even then I'm thinking about downloading some monster mods because it's too easy
Peaceful is comfy and all, but by the time my house is all built I'm usually just wanting to play creative instead

yea but then it's merely there i'm still not gonna be into it

hang around the short bus near nuclear power plants until one of the special needs children bites you

Install Gentoo

wtf does this mean

So, the plan for Frogserb ore generation is for them to occur is large, somewhat spaced out clusters. Nothing will be hard to find, but you'll probably need to have multiple different mines, or at least branches within your mines. The average number of most ores per chunk should be on par with or more generous than Vanilla's treatment of Iron, which is ~77 ore per chunk. Obviously things that are meant to be rare like Diamond and Platinum will be treated slightly different.

This brings me to the question of how to best approach Thaumcraft's ores. I think it's silly to have just one cluster with just Amber, or one cluster with Aer Infused Stone. I'm thinking maybe there could be a "Cluster of Magic" of sorts that has a distribution of all of Thaumcraft's various ores. Again these would be smaller and more scarce than the aforementioned Iron, Copper, Tin, etc.

Also, for Certus I was thinking of generating large veins that are 88% Certus, 8% Charged and 4% Nether, to give a small chance to get Quartz in the overworld.

Any opinions?

like spiderman but instead of a radioactive spider you get bitten by a radioactive autistic child so you're capable of gregtech

>any opinions?
the political climate of the Philippines is worsening every day but no one seems to care

sounds good and I agree that a rainbow ore vein is only fitting for the queer magic mod

Looks like a nice enough idea for me. As for Thaumcraft, since it's just magic and shit I guess leaving it as it is by default would be good enough - amber and cinnabar are sparse enough that random bits of it in the world feel kind of natural, and the elemental shards are basic on magic natural wizard shit so they feel like they belong everywhere too.
Also hurry up I want to use your oregen in my own worlds

yall should join this nice s4s serb

>hurry up
Trying to figure out how to balance clusterSize, clusterCount, and density friend. COFH is powerful but documentation is lacking.

>remember that Mariculture exists
>might as well put it in my pack
>get this
But I thought the chunk flip bug got fixed not too long ago.

LargeSparse veins are fine for most metals and shit, but it really fucked up thaum progression when shards were like that on oceanserb. Hence why they got retrogenned with default distribution.
So maybe do uncommon clusters or geodes surrounded in RC abyssal stone or something cool.
Shard famine is absolute suffering for wizards

Aha, this is more like it.

>shards were like that on oceanserb
On Oceanserb the shards were also only in the Ocean biomes which messed with things a bit, these would all be interspersed. I could do a mix of clusters and normal veins, though.