/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Criminal Justice Edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

GOOD edition

What happens next /dfg/?

Beautiful

>"pull the lever!"
top kek.

uh... back wall is a drawbridge? Drops down to reveal a stray jabberer (=trained=)

Youve just won.. A BRAAAND NEWWW JABBERER!
With a few ladies presenting it. You gotta love that new jabberer smell.

Sexy pose gorlak with thong.

lever pulled. all cats toggled. close the tavern. restrict all fuzzy warmblers to the petting zoo. evacuate the northern burrows. militia captains proceed to Site B and await further instructions. set all minecarts to "ride". move all microcline mugs to the depot and awaken the bookkeeper. mandate the construction of seven aluminum beds.

thanks!
Good lord. Going to work on these tomorrow.

The greatest prize of all.

It never gets old.

Bumpando el thread

I'm having this bug where none of my miners are mining. I tried making a couple random dwarfs miners, but they'd pick up their gear and do nothing. Any help? I tried looking up the answer myself, but got nothing

Can they access the tiles you designated?

I guess not? I try designating a spot outside, and that worked. No idea why though

Read up on how channels work.

>GOTHIC NAME
>? GAME ?
>Recognize That tileset
>DoCCO curse words
>Armok sayings
>Today's player
>Urist Bombell
>The HINTS

>BUCKET BLACK MOON
>SALADIN
>EXIT
>ELF R DUM

I'm sure one of those is wrong, are the rest correct and what is the middle category?

Your stuff is getting harder to recognize from the thumbnail. I almost skipped it, since normally a 3.58 MB .jpg wouldn't be worth bothering with.

It was inevitable.

Does it look like I know what I'm doing?

wrong pic

>160k wealth with 100 population
>no bookkeeper
>10 rangers and 13 fishery workers

I have a metric fuckton of shells, what should I do with them?

What is a bookkeeper good for?

What should I reassign rangers/fishers to?

What said and also
>import:export ratio
>no military on duty
>more woodworkers than metalworkers
>any peasants at all
>19 farmers
You're going to have to improve.

Migrants have all been farmers, rangers or fishers

I'm waiting for flux stones to get imported because I haven't found shit

Whats the need for peasants?

crafts and decorations

accurate inventory counts

military, metal industry, mining, stone detailing

All of your workers can be assigned to other jobs if they aren't useful the way they came, peasants included. You shouldn't wait for flux before you get your metal industry moving or else you'll waste what little steel you have on low quality goods, and you shouldn't wait for steel to start training your military either. Get some furnace operators and smiths learning their trade, now. Get military learning to fight, now. And get some more miners, if you do have flux on site you'll need to find it and dig it out before it's useful anyway.

What should I smith without flux? I've been doing gold bars

Just get yourself a bar of metal and start forging and melting corkscrews.

>tfw seeing one of your best soldiers putting their crutch back in the stockpile because their leg healed

>group dances almost never finish because one of the dancers gets hungry or thirsty or sleepy when the dance is 90% done or some other dwarf comes along and gets in their way
>practically all non-military dwarves are starved for excitement because they can't finish any performances
user feels frustrated after being unable to keep his dwarves focused.

fuck yeahhhh

BTFO

Masterwork is kinda defunct now, and am looking for a better mod(s) for Fortress mode. Vanilla is pretty bland since I'm used to MW. Recommendations?

I think it's gobbo curse words

the ENTIRE invasion is fighting this ONE fucking pangolin skeleton for like 30 minutes now, and they can't hit it while it appears to not attack back. I'm cooped up in the fort and had to dig to get access to water.

also, its making the game run at 20fps, as as opposed to the 100 it was before this. yay.

Just check the mod releases subforum and see what intrigues you - there's plenty of great mods on there that don't get any love because of MW's stranglehold on the community.

Peasants can actually be somewhat useful since they haul shit 24/7. Of course if that's not needed just assign them any useful jobs so they start learning, or draft them into the military.

every goblin is passing out after every attack... I'm tempted to send a squad out but i dont have armor for them

>today is Sunday, 29 October 2017

Send out a single dwarf and see how well he does

Test the waters with a wood cutter

im kinda new to this, should i just put the woodcutter in his own squad and sent him out?

Would be a nice birthday surprise if the update released today

Unkillable undead bodyparts are a real pain.
The best solution I can think of is making a gauntlet of traps at your entrance, mostly cage traps, and lure the enemies to that place. Hopefully you'll draw the undead too and it gets caged.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd do. He might have trouble bringing his axe though, so double check he has that.

what should i do with the unkillable undead? atom smash it?

undead body part zoo

Hey /dfg/ is there a Warhammer Fantasy mod for Dorf fortress?

I know there was a Fallout one aeons ago BUt I haven't played for years so I stopped paying attention to DF.

Happy birthday user

he got obliterated in 2 seconds
i am planning to lure them into a bunch of cages past my drawbridge, then when they walk over the bridge i will raise it, making them smash into the wall and die

Atom smash, throw into lava, , caged as decoration in tavern/temple of death/war diety

Be creative

>by the time anything interesting happens you have 40-50 squaddies which smash anything they come across and there's no fun

So what am i doing wrong here?

I do not turtle, no traps. I embark with a weapons guy and try and get a squad up from early but nothing happens for expect for some shitty thief that fucks off faster than he appears... the earlier versions of DF (like V34) was much more aggressive, or just me?

I know this gives me more time to fuck on other stuff but i want to hurt things and dorfs to get hurt.
Before you suggest biomes, weather can just make things straight unfun and towers are ok but then the game goes from 0 -100 in a blink.

It's called Colony Alpha. Look it up on Bay 12.

>1058148108.jpg
embark next to a necro tower or a goblin tower

In more recent versions, armies actually travel to the destination they're attacking rather than just teleporting. So the closer to multiple gobbo civs or towers you are, the more likely you're attacked

If you want dorfs to get hurt badly, I have 2 ideas:
>make an arena in which your strongest dorfs get to 1v1 FBs and such
>don't train dorfs too much, rather relying on contrived defences that fuck up your fort as well
Example: I once built a fort around a central staircase that was suspended on a single support connected to a lever. In a terrible situation, I flipped the situation, killing the super strong FB but also a ton of my dorfs and cutting them off from eachother, getting isolated in like 5 different sections

The game is piss easy once you know how it works. Gotta make your own !!!FUN!!!

The older versions were more aggressive since enemies showed up earlier, since they just spawned at the map edges.

Now armies actually have to cross the world. For simulation purposes its neat but for gameplay purposes? Ehhhhhh.

The closest thing you can do if you want more sieges is either download some mods or make your own that add more hostile races - you can set it so that you don't need 80+ population before sieges start popping up.

also, im at 7 fps right now so this is gonna take a while

what is this thing anyways? a pile of bones?

a squirming, quivering pile of undead biomatter at this point; a mix of pulped muscle and splintered bone all in one cohesive pile

Do you think I could use it to lure goblins into traps? like hang it above a death pit?

I said Fantasy not 40k

Oh sorry, derped. There isn't a fantasy one as far as I know.

Fug, thanks anyways user I appreciate you taking the time.

Post old OC you never see getting posted anymore
yeah I know that this was only a couple of months ago

Fuck I'm glad the crab died.
RIP Tourneyanon. His death was a brutal one.
It was inevitable.

Eternal reminder

It’s my birthday tomorrow dfg. Will Toady grant me the only gift I want?

I think Toady can afford you a male prostitute. The question is how would you ask him?

how old OC are we talking about here?

So how have you guys come to terms with the fact that the update will never come out?

It'll come out October, user. Toady wouldn't to us
October 2018

It's already out
in my mind

Your oldest

>tfw biological immortality or the singularity might happen in your lifetime
>tfw you might have a sliver of a chance to ever see DF finished in the year 23018

>world size: medium
>history: short
>no. of civs: medium
>no. of sites: medium
>no. of beasts: high
>natural savagery: high
>mineral occurence: frequent
Is this good world gen parameters? I'm too much of a brainlet for advanced world generation.

Happy early birthday user. And it's my birthday today!

For fort mode sure. For adv mode only worlds I like cranking everything up to the highest settings (except for history which I set to 125 years).

Also advanced worldgen looks intimidating but its not that bad. I don't recommend messing with anything except civ numbers, megabeast/titan numbers, minerals, site population caps, and most importantly bogeyman numbers. Fuck bogeymen, they're the most annoying fucking thing about adventure mode.

Sure thing

I hate irrigation but I love mountain biomes.

He'll be back. I have evidence he is still alive.

Have you breached and colonized the fun layer yet?

Start a loyalty cascade, I dunno.

You have nothing of the sort.

I TOOK A SHIT ON YOUR MOTHER'S FACE

>No outpost liaison? How curious...
Second time I've seen this in my new fort. The fuck is happening? I've never seen this before.

I guess I have to check if my civilization is dead.

Your civ is probably dead or dying.

There actually is, but I don't know if it's up with the current version.

Sorry faggots, not this month. I'm too busy playing demon souls again. Hope your birthdays suck and you crash a lot.
Source: he he he

Dude, advanced world gen is easy. Everything (well, maybe 60% of things) explain themselves in their names, and unless you have no patience, it only takes a bit of thinking and a few go arounds to tweak parameters like a pro.

Time to build a machine of elven genocide

That's the thing, it said an elven caravan had arrived, but it was all dorfs.

He lives... in my heart

Time for a horus heresy

some people might actually care about this so literally spoiler
check out the doc

>check out the doc
"ok"
What doc.

I'd assume he means the document to organize the event, but I have no idea how to see that.

I'd let her pull my lever