Ok which fucking programming language do I need to make a decent living for myself...

Ok which fucking programming language do I need to make a decent living for myself. And do I need a college degree to go with it to get a decent job.

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-usa-banks-cobol-idUSKBN17C0D8
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Whichever one of the popular ones in circulation right now

Key is that you program a lot and go from beginner to advanced projects

From there you can start contributing to some open source project or something like that and get to know people in the community

Once you know one programming language, learning others is relatively easy, since all you need to know is syntax

Anyway, all projects and contributions go towards building your portfolio/resume

You could also freelance once you know enough

Key is to not be a lazy, half-assed piece of shit and stay interested in the language or the projects

just learn python

javascript you lard

Hey bro.

I wanna learn how to program as well... Maybe web developer or something...

I can speak fluent english, french and japanese. Do you have any idea where I could be the most useful / most paid ?

Thanks

IMO you should learn C or C++, since they will teach you more about how a computer uses your code than other languages (pointers, explicit declarations and whatnot)

But if you just want to make money -> and Java are p gud and have a big job market

>I wanna learn how to program as well... Maybe web developer or something...

Start learning how to program, there's millions of resources online. Hell you can learn all the basics from youtube videos.

Key is that you actually start, and try things out. Like I said, don't be lazy.

Idk about the "best" resource for learning how to program, because at the end of the day people like to be taught in different ways. So these are the ones I've used:

thenewboston on Youtube, 3DBuzz, a shitton and I mean a SHITTON of googling (what is a pointer?, why am I getting this error?, what's this, whats that...)

>I can speak fluent english, french and japanese. Do you have any idea where I could be the most useful / most paid ?

I have no idea what you mean by this

I'm assuming you mean location? There's programming jobs everywhere (mostly in big technological cities) if you're willing to relocate.

I would suggest maybe starting out with python and then (relatively quickly) continue on to C++ and Java. From there it really depends what area you want to specialize in (making websites, applications, games, creating models/simulations etc.)

PS I am not an expert but I do have a good amount of programming knowledge.

just learn html css javascript
code webpages like a trillion other pajeets
make endless money
die

But can you really learn java by yourself?
I'm second year cs student and the amount of code i wrote in java just to get to "operational" stage is massive.
The language isn't all you need.
What about all the stuff that makes programming abilities useful?
Like network programming, cryptography, ai etc.?

Python for quant analysis.

Javascript

Yes, but you need to want it

There are whole programming courses online from University Professors on all the subjects you mentioned, just with different names

How many of those that stirred some interest have you finished?
Just curious.

So is R shit or what

If I have a Psychology degree and self-taught R programming do you think I could get a full-time 50k+ job?

Is there anything else I should get to go along with that?

R is kind of a niche language. I suggest learning C# if you are totally new.

Gotta agree with 'thenewboston' youtube channel, the guys legit.
Also zedd shaws learn python the hard way really helped and its free
I started from zero and after about 2 months i can read code and understand what the variables and syntax is saying just not exactly what its doing. After some basic basic stuff you could try making a small text game a great way to learn is to have a small project that you can overengineer to a crazy degree and learn how to keep adding new tools ie i translated a kids choose your own adventure book to a python program that runs in terminal slowly you can add more advanced things to programs like gui's and arrays.

R is only useful for data analysis ie if you actually know some math/stat.

R is good. It's a statistical programming language. I'mean good enough at it that I don't have to look for a job anymore, it's useful and can be applied to almost everything.

I'm hoping so. My entire career strategy at the moment is to finish this shitty Psych degree while I'm learning R then hopefully find some work using my R skills and basic statistics knowledge.

Don't need much to be happy in life just as long as it's 50k or more

If you know how to program in one language, it is easy to pick up a new language afterwards. It's not like if you used this language then you are doomed for all time.

Python. And Go - the latter will be increasingly important and it's very versatile.

Java. And a degree.

t. Pajeet

So basically learn every single programming language ever invented by man, and HOPEFULLY you may get an unpaid internship if you're lucky OP!

Pick one: Learn Java or C#(back end) Mandatory: JavaScript, HTML, CSS (front end) and SQL(database).

Anything else is a meme/niche.

Python or R and jump on the big Data bandwagon!

Don't forget to work at least 50 hours per week unpaid for 2 months to show you're super committed to the role.

Be thankful that the startup gives you experience after they get bought and the whole staff is fired.

Do it again and be grateful for the chance to work with such dedicated and talented people.

Do it about 6 times before landing employment at a dinky backwater tech support repair shop making $5 an hour. Be thankful you fucking entitled millennial scum.

COBOL OR BUST
reuters.com/article/us-usa-banks-cobol-idUSKBN17C0D8

I made a literal fortune writing RPG code.

/g/ fag here.
It largely depends on what you want to do, I'd say that the most profitable for the average person without connections is going to be web development. Code Academy has a great explainer on what technologies you need to work in what areas (youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k)

If web isn't your thing, C++, Rust and Java all work pretty good (Rust is the best in my opinion, have worked with all three). Though you'd be best off working with an engine of some sort (Unreal was the best bang for your buck last I checked).

Data processing I've had good luck with Golang and Rust, both very good speeds and golang is quick for development, however there are languages specific to that as others have mentioned.

App development you're looking at swift for iOS and Java for Android (kill me now).

For self employment the quickest return is going to be web technologies and maybe app dev if you get lucky, data processing is good if you can make friends because the jobs seem more scarce and exclusive

Oh I forgot to mention, golang isn't good for website design, as hard as I am for golang the frameworks aren't stable enough and there's way too much work involved that could be much more easily done in something like PHP (don't fall for the php is dumb meme, it's alright if you don't start out hating it, just learn to live with it's quirks)

this. Get into stats and get paid $120k at 25