Should we fear death? What if Socrates was right; that death is either an eternal sleep/ eternal dream...

Should we fear death? What if Socrates was right; that death is either an eternal sleep/ eternal dream, wouldn't death be better than life? Should we embrace death?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandha
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We are all sinners, death is when we stand before God.
And sinners should fear God, so yes

youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg

Not if you take Jesus into your heart

"Neither in the present nor on my death bed will I ponder such nonsense. I am not subject to meaning imposed by the universe, but am myself a part of the Universe." - Einstein

Without repentance there can be no forgiveness

what if we have adorned our souls with good qualities, which will reap up benefits in the afterlife?

If you were going to be killed at the very moment, but somehow knew that you will reap benefits in the afterlife, YET also know that you have much more teachings to offer for others to lead a good life IF you escape this death sentence (thereby breaking the law), which option would you choose?

>knew that you will reap benefits in the afterlife
That is arrogance, and arrogance is a sin, something you would not have repented for

Hell is not being able to face death with equanimity. Which is why every major religion entails acknowledging your insignificance before eternity.

You say you sin
and your forgive non this work shit
Your just stupid

What if it's eternal nightmare like in one Hellraiser movie?

>likeing mark walberg
Kek

That's Leonardo Di Caprio

Dreaming is an active process, your brain is fully engaged while you dream. Why do you think you will be able to dream without a brain?

No it's mark walberg

Well that's fine for the soul but what do I get out of it? Why should I lead an aesthetic life of self-denial for the benefit of some astral parasite?

See

It mark walberg due

No, we shouldn't fear death, and not for the reasons presented by all the Christfags in this thread.

Death is simply the cessation of existence, and all the baggage it carries. think back as far as you can within your own memory. You will eventually come to a point in which you can't remember, to a point which doesn't actually exist in your own mind. You don't really have any feelings of fear about this state, about not knowing or understanding your lack of consciousness. Even if your mother were to fill you in on the details of your existence before you were old enough to remember, you would still have point before that; a period of time in which you didn't exist.

Death is simply a return to this state. You were in this state before, and yet when you try to think back to this state, you don't feel any fear. In fact, you probably feel nothing, because there really is nothing to feel about it. Everyone who has ever existed has come from this nothingness, so why should you feel any animosity or fear towards it?

Just as you feel this way towards the beginning of your existence, you can feel this way towards the end. The only reason you feel any different towards your death than you do towards your birth is because it's in your future and not your past. you are put in the position to wonder what it will be like to cease to exist, and because nobody can come back and tell you what it's like, you feel fear.

But there's no reason to be afraid. You have already experienced exiting non-existence, so why should you be afraid of coming home?

From an exclusively rational point of view, death is preferable than life. Many people arrive at this conclusion, but don't take the step to end their lives. Humans are not exclusively rational beings.

Then why haven't you taken the "rational" step and killed yourself?

I usually don't dwell on the idea of death, it's the absence of life, and you cannot experience nothingness. Why live your short life despairing over nothing?

Should we fear the sun coming up in the morning?

I think you need to take a step back and realize that your entire concept of "death" is founded on an unjustified assumption. You see it as "something" happening to "something" but that "something" does not exist. You literally believe in souls; you have to casually throw out belief in the physical just to ask this question.

>Should we embrace death?

You first faggatron

>Should we embrace ceasing to exist
No are you fucking crazy?

>should we

there are no should's or shouldn't's in life lad

>You see it as "something" happening to "something" but that "something" does not exist.

What did he meme by this?

It means that people believe that each human has a unique immaterial identity as though it's something self-evident and I just have to say "hold the fuck up".

yes but, what does death have to do with the soul?

Death DOES happen to something, it happens to anything which once lived, to animals, to plants, it's a process by which biological and physiological process cease. The soul of that something may not exist, but that "something" does, physically.

The OP post assumes that there is a soul.

>everyone in the thread is convinced death = nothingness

lol retards nobody has any idea what happens at death

Our DNA acts like virus DNA does. It has a host, which is me. And then when the cells in my body starts to die, unable to carry the DNA, the DNA then seeks a new host. So our sex drive provides a fresh host for our greedy DNA to inhabit. And then it leaves us to die. We are old. We are tired. The DNA has already jumped ship, just like a virus who inhabits sick cells.

The prospect that human beings are just carrier for a virus-like entity is frightening. Our DNA desperately tries to live on, at all costs. It has shed so many hosts and it will continue to shed hosts until it reaches a complete deadend.

are we really just a "host" when the "virus" is setting how are body will develop?

We are the wall that defends it. It bears the blueprints that will defend it. Even virus cells are under the command of the virus DNA/RNA. DNA is selfish. It seeks its own preservation. And it builds elaborate beings to further its goals.

I have often entertained myself with the thought that somewhere along mankind's history, a tribe or a certain family realized the meaning of death, went crazy and decided to forfeit the idea of having children because dying is such an awful thing. And they went cold in their "madness" and died.

nice point

you have opened my mind

Why fear something you're never going to experience?

Why even fear something you aren't certain about? The universe may repeat itself indefinitely, in the same way over and over again, which means the moment you lose consciousness from biological death, you return to the moment your consciousness was born. There's no definite proof that this isn't the case.

There are also ways to live beyond biological death. You have a memetic life too.

You should only fear death if you've never feared the God of Abraham.

Otherwise no. Death is quite literally nothing. No experience what so ever.

A lot of people visualize death as being a void blackness but it's not even that. If you experienced a void blackness that would mean you are having an experience at all and to have an experience requires a working brain.
No brain = no sensation at all.

What you should fear is being brought back to a resurrection of judgement.
Since in death there is no experience, when you're resurrected it will seem exactly as if you had just drifted off to sleep and got jolted awake before you even knew you were sleeping. Many hundreds of years could pass in what would seem like a fraction of a second.

>inb4 good thing that's all fairytales
If that helps you sleep I guess. Your personal beliefs won't change it.

you were dead for billions of years before you were alive

The finality and oblivion we all face gives our experiences meaning. Absolutely everything, everyone, and every idea will disappear forever and that is beautiful. Death is proof that we are just playing these temporary characters in a temporary narrative, and we are totally free to interpret and remake our lives however we wish in that short time.

Game over.

I mean I wouldn't mind dying when it's all said and done, but I don't particular want to die.

Roko's Basilisk
Oops

Was Socrates right on anything?

>should

>discussion about death
>nothing but quotes from gay old books

>the cessation of existence

no it isn't. it's the cessation of the 5 aggragates, but not of existence itself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandha

Kys cuck baka

u should probs stop thinking about death and live in the know and think about what's going to happen along the rocky road of life instead of what might happen later on

ALL IS DUST

its john franco you retarded fuck

Not having children on account of the cruelty of existence is an idea that's been kicked around before. It wasn't popular with national rulers because who the hell wants their people to stop reproducing?

>being scared of a nice comfy sleep forever
the fuck is wrong with you?

It's also pretty retarded to even care about the fact that you're going to die.

Yes we die, and it is in many ways totally unacceptable to us. But learning to cope with it through deep authentic living is the best gift you can give yourself.