Why did all Soviets during the interwar years wear these dorky hats? Who thought this was a good idea?

Why did all Soviets during the interwar years wear these dorky hats? Who thought this was a good idea?

The Budenovka was out to mimic the Steppenegro helmets the Rus & RUssian Principalities period warriors wore like the Druzhina.

It's a really comfy hat for when you're riding on a horse in a Russian winter.

These hats make them look like either like
A. Feckless morons
B. The expendable minions of an evil wizard

There was a huge shortage of materials and equipment in Russia and the Tzarist government had produced them en mass for the War.

So pretty much they used them because they were there and there wasn't enough productive capacity to produce other hats.

soviet aesthetics

>that low poly count

Shame you've "missed" this one.

These hats were designed and entered production long after Tsar was deposed. They were supposed to be normal winter hats, but Winter War showed that they weren't warm enough. So Soviets designed ushanka instead.

Well, I thought it was creative and original.

>Muh triangle count

>30 minutes into Vistula and chill and tovarish gives you this look

>So Soviets designed ushanka instead.
Ushankas had been around for centuries, they just went back to using them because it was an actual proven design.

>The hat was created as part of a new uniform for the Russian army by Viktor Vasnetsov, a famous Russian painter, who was inspired by the Kiev Rus helmet.[1][2] The original name was bogatyrka (бoгaтыpкa) – the hat of a bogatyr – and was intended to inspire Russian troops by connecting them with the legendary heroes of Russian folklore. Bogatyrkas were meant to be a part of a new uniform, so they had already been produced during World War I, but hadn't been officially adopted.

>During the Russian civil war, communist troops, who had no obligation to comply with the uniform standards of the Imperial Russian army, used bogatyrkas, as they were abundant and distinctive. Bogatyrkas were commonly decorated with red star pins as a distinguishing mark.

I heard the reason they adopted it was because ths Finns used it to proven effect and the Russians followed their example.

i thought the soviets would have wanted to distance themselves as much as possible from that

apparently they made you an easy target

Russian Communism was weird in that it tried to act internationalist but was always deeply nationalistic, they tried to play to a time before Peter the Great and the "modern" tsar so they could be pro Russian but still anti-tsar

>when Stalin and Stalinism ruined everything including art
Soviet Cukture in the 1920s after the Civil War was a golden age in human history for art, including film.

Stalin was Nationalistic but I don't see too much of that in Lenin.

Lenin has always been based to me because of his internationalism but am I mistaken?

Why so passive aggressive, Ivan?

They all talked a big talk about internationalism but knew that if you were gonna start a whole new society you gotta unite people at home first.
Trotsky was the only memetically internationalist guy but he was basically retarded so he don't matter

Look like a buncha FAGS!

how do you fuck up that badly

They're distinctive and easy to recognize in Orthodox icons of people being martyred by the Bolsheviks.

You can try, but some things in culture are deeply ingrained.

When it serves a purpose, traditional things can be brought back to great effect
Just look at Stalin during WWII: allowed the Orthodox Church to operate, called the Eastern Front the 'Great Patriotic War' (Russia's fight against Napoleon was Patriotic War)

based

I think they look kinda cool honestly

How?

The Red Army did have fur hats in limited use during the Winter War, and IIRC had planned on replacing budenovkas with ushankas already before the war, but yeah, that war basically convinced them that they really should switch winter hat designs.

The shape of the hat is more efficient in the brain draining process than the normal hat.

Not him but, some things, like Beefeater hats or polish hussar wings, are so stupid and ugly looking that they wrap around into looking cool.