Why do westerners call it the Ottoman Empire and not the Osman Caliphate? According to muslim lore it was

Why do westerners call it the Ottoman Empire and not the Osman Caliphate? According to muslim lore it was.
What caused this state to be remembered as "empire", while the arab version is known as "caliphate"?

is this a only white people can be imperialistic episode?

if so, CHANGE THE CHANNEL

because they made that little footstool thing and that was the most notable thing about them, hence the name.

>according to Muslim lore
*according to Turkish lore

The Ottoman Empire was a bigger meme caliphate than ISIS.

ISIS is arguably more of a true caliphate than the turkish """"""""""caliphate"""""""""" Tbh

>A caliphate (Arabic: خِلافة khilāfa) is an area containing an Islamic steward known as a caliph (Arabic: خَليفة khalīfah) - a person considered a religious successor to the Islamic prophet, Muhammad (Muhammad ibn ʿAbdullāh), and a leader of the entire Muslim community.

That was the turkish sultan for a long while.

>That was the turkish sultan for a long while.
The Turkish sultan claimed the title for a long time. To this day lots of Muslims (including ISIS actually) don't consider them a real caliphate. It's also worth noting the Turkish use of the title was purely an honorific (which they loved claiming, most notably as Roman Emperors).

Also given the topic of OP it's a bigger question why the Ottoman Emperor is called "sultan" when they actually called themselves "Padishah".

I thought padishah was a Persian thing.

>Also given the topic of OP it's a bigger question why the Ottoman Emperor is called "sultan" when they actually called themselves "Padishah".

They called themselves 99 things. That comes with the honor of ruling over multiple ancient empires.

It was. But Turks ever since Seljuk conquered Persia were massive Persiaboos.

Except Padishah was his chief title. And he would be addressed as "Padishah" like the Queen of the UK is addressed as "Queen". They weren't addressed as "Sultan" except by westerners.

>bazza has his trip turned off
wew lad lol

>Except Padishah was his chief title
Not to westerners, clearly. People are called different titles. Charlemagne always styled himself King of the Franks even after the Pope crowned him Holy Roman Emperor and was thereafter recognized as Emperor.

Ottomans also called the area of modern Iraq and Kuwait "Babylon" and the sultan was the king of Babylon.

>Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians

>Iceland
It gets me every time.

>Not to westerners
This is what I'm saying. The fact that we call them sultan is a bit silly. We don't call it the Ottoman Sultanate.

It was an empire, ruled by an emperor. Given the topic of the thread if we're to call them anything it should be Padishah.

>guarding an empty
>venerating some empty cave
kek, why do muslims love objects so much? I mean nigga hahaha, the Kingdom of God is already among you hahaha

Stole their women and valuables, and converted them to islam.
The snowniggers have a word for this righteous ragnarok - Tyrkjaránið.

Ottomans proclaimed a jihad against French and British during WW1 but it didn't achieve anything because hey, nobody acknowledged them as caliphate among muslims.

They proclaimed jihad against Napoleon and plenty of faithful followed the call.
Have you considered that the WWI situation was just an exception, and the leadership and trust was particularly bad at the time?

We call them Osman Empire here in Russia.

Correct me of I'm wrong, but in order to be Caliph, don't you have to be a descendant of Ali? Since the Ottomans werent, while there wasn't a doubt that they were the leading authority in the Muslim world for a time, wasn't their claim to be Caliph only semi recognized?

it ended up ruining british india because gandhi had autism.

According to Shiites yes.

Well that would exclude everyone else but the fatimids

Why do tards always put Iceland, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, and sub-saharan countries under the Osman Empire? This is the stupidest thing ever

The Ottomans didn't call themselves the Osman Caliphate but the state of Osman, which was ruled by the padishah.

I believe this is apocryphal though, as no Ottoman sultan would call themselves a grandson of God. This is from that fake Cossack letter right?

I always wondered why Turks don't Celebrate Nowruz or use the Word Turkistan rather than Türkiye unlike the rest of the turkic people

From what I heard in the late 1600's The Ottomans started to Get rid of Iranic influence and adopted more Turkish ones although I am not sure of that

Even for Sunnis you have to be a descendent of Banu Quraysh. I don't know how some steppeniggers got it, unless they married some 1/256 Quraysh princess of whogivesafuqistan.

The traditional idea of the Ottoman Caliph being of the same type as the Rashidun, Umayyad, Abbasid, and Fatimid Caliphs comes in very late near the end of the empire. For most of its history the title of caliph for the Ottomans was more a title of prestige, like King of Jerusalem or Eastern Roman Emperor after both were effectively wiped out. It's something that looked good on their resumes, not an actual religious or imperial office anymore by the 16th century.

Because Barbary pirates and slavers raided Iceland like a couple times and took some people and loot and then left.

Butthurt Turks consider that is enough to consider Iceland a vassal

Not all Ottomans were Muslim or even liked each other they weren't part of some shitty poo in the loo caliphate.

Same here (Poland).

That's how they preferred to be known as, caliphate was more an honorific title than anything else

>They called themselves 99 things.

The ottoman empire never conquered Moldova. Neither Ukraine.

sage

>They proclaimed jihad against Napoleon and plenty of faithful followed the call.
He had pretty good relations with Muslims overall tho

its a meme you dip

It actually goes by like this :
"I who am the Sultan of Sultans, the sovereign of sovereigns, the dispenser of crowns to the monarchs on the face of the earth, the shadow of the God on Earth, the Sultan and sovereign lord of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Black Sea, of Rumelia and of Anatolia, of Karamania, of the land of Romans, of Dhulkadria, of Diyarbakir, of Kurdistan, of Azerbaijan, of Persia, of Damascus, of Aleppo, of Cairo, of Mecca, of Medina, of Jerusalem, of all Arabia, of Yemen and of many other lands which my noble fore-fathers and my glorious ancestors (may God light up their tombs!) conquered by the force of their arms and which my August Majesty has made subject to my flamboyant sword and my victorious blade, I, Sultan Suleiman Khan, son of Sultan Selim Khan, son of Sultan Bayezid Khan "

>why Turks don't Celebrate Nowruz
i blame the kurds

the name türkiye wasn't given by turks but by an italian historian in 13th century
after the rise of the ottoman empire anatolia was also known as türkiye and ottoman empire was known as "the turkish empire
though i think turks would have probably named the region "turkeli" (similar to the rumeli)

>Why do westerners call it the Ottoman Empire

Westerners don't, Anglos do.

It's called the Osman state/Empire/Reich in many other languages

it is called a "devlet" (a state), not an empire nor a caliphate.
they used both, along with Han and Hakan and other titles.

türkiye was never called türkistan. name of turkey comes either/both from latin turchia and arabic turkiyya. turkistan refers to central asia as a whole.

>It was. But Turks ever since Seljuk conquered Persia were massive Persiaboos

Why is it that everyone who conquers Persia becomes a persiaboo?