How do you make a coat of arms for your last name? Poc related is my mother's last name's coat of arms...

How do you make a coat of arms for your last name? Poc related is my mother's last name's coat of arms. My dad's name is quite unusual so I haven't been able to find their coat if arms.

Also, is having a coat of arms based or just fedora?

Other urls found in this thread:

americancollegeofheraldry.org/
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087966/Donald-Trump-wins-right-use-family-crest-Scottish-heralds-advertise-golf-course.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_I,_Duke_of_Württemberg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_I,_Count_of_Württemberg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're a member of English nobility, having a coat of arms is pretty good. If you, like me, are the bastard child of a half-cherokee construction worker, having a coat of arms seems pretty fedora. But you do you, senpai.

Considering my parents probably don't have any connection to royalty it's just a fun thing to have, but it's probably fedora.
>tfw your friend is actually distantly related to the House of Yi
Pic related is mine

Pretty much this, except relation can be to any nobility, not just English.

Mine's pretty cool I guess, would wear over my mail/10

whoops, here it is

>could be descendent of either Neapolitan nobility or a fucking nobody
>no way to tell since my family tree has been lost to time
tfw

Interesting. Just did a search of my family's last name. Just found out both my first and last name have religious meaning, especially my first name.

Im pretty sure my mother had no idea about the meaning of my father's last name, so for her to pick a name that means "messenger of God" is interesting when my last name refers to something holy.

Christopher De Santis

Pretty much every normal name in Western languages has religious connotations.

Woops. I made a mistake. First name is after an archangel who led the battle against Satan.

Still interesting considering how religious my mother is, but I still believe she had no idea about the meaning and just picked it because of how it sounds in her native language.

Is Trump's Coat of Arms authentic or made up?

You can register an original one here:

americancollegeofheraldry.org/

Designing your own coat of arms is a fun way to apply one's autism.

Making one if you're not titled is pretty weak.

>Also, is having a coat of arms based or just fedora?
If your coat of arms is certified by a nobles' association like CILANE it's based, otherwise you're just a fucking larper.

>living in a republic
>having a coat of arms

Also their ancestral name is Drumpf from some German lawyer who came to America.

Mother's family name if Vendramini but close enough

You can only have a CoA if you are a member of nobility. If you have noble roots AND you come from the male line (seeing how under 5 percent of people were nobles in Europe it's unlikely) you might have the right to use it under feudal customary law. And just searching for your family name and using the coat of arms you find doesn't work. Many people in the 19th and 20th century took more noble-like names, including taking the name of existing noble families.

If you don't come from a noble family the only way to get a legit CoA is finding a monarchy where they still have noble titles like the UK and become part of the nobility. You can either get the title through inheritance or awarded by the monarch through recommendation from the PM.

This is basically larping.

Pro tip: it was extremely common in Venice to adopt the surname of the current doge when you didn't have one of your own or you wanted to change yours for whatever reason (like conversion from judaism to christianity).
There are literally hundreds of Vendramins in Veneto, and none of them are entitled to sport the patrician coat of arms. Only the Vendramin-Calergi are.

>There can no be nobles in a Republic
The US (and other countries) ban their citizens from acquired noble titles, but there have been republics with nobles before.

Or you can buy one thanks to Internet.

You can also buy a police badge but it won't really make you a cop.

Thats what you want to believe.

>watermarks and filenames
This isn't how heraldry works. It's not attached to a surname, or even a family. They're given to individuals.
>Also, is having a coat of arms based or just fedora?
Depends on how you want to use it.

>Just did a search of my family's last name.
Might want to try a bit harder, hombre.

>You can only have a CoA if you are a member of nobility.
False. Anyone can receive a Grant of Arms. It was just a medieval signature system.

Only from proper authorities. If you're paying under £4k, you're getting scammed.

>Anyone can receive a Grant of Arms.
Relatively. It wasn't nobles only, but you weren't going go get a grant of arms unless you were at least a high level government worker like a town mayor, or higher judge, or senior and decorated military officer in most of Europe.

Protip: on houseofnames or where you find these, most, probably all of them are made up

For literally every surname you search it says "bla bla was first found in bla bla where they held a family seat from ancient times"

Only because those were the sorts who would bother. Cost and care were the only limiting factors when the College system was introduced.

>College system
Pretty sure those qualified exclusively as individual shields for use as a student and not beyond. My own uni used to do this in the middle ages, and students didn't keep their university arms after graduating. Might have been different in England (I'm supposing you're a brit because £), but brits were always weird about nobility and heraldry.

>uni
I mean the regulatory College of Arms. Not a university. Similarly Lord Lyon for Scotland.

>all these LARPing Americans
My family already has a coat of arms and we even have our own Wikipedia page.

Op here. My last name is Alessio, There's a big painting of a COA with the family name on in my grandfather's house, he told me it has been in the family for many years. As far as I know, there hasn't been any noble ancestors with that name. I searched in Italian nobility (since the name is obviously italian) but only managed to find that it comes from Sicily. However, I suspect it might have something related with roman general Flavius Aetius. I could be only wishful thinking though. Is there any way of seeing this?

>its a "I have the same surname, so I must be related to this cool historical figure" episode

Didn't the peasants wear their lord's colors into battle?

It depends. Towards the later middle ages, they wore livery colours, which were sashes or jackets made out of cloth issued by the lord in colours he chose. However they frequently were different to his own heraldry, either deliberately the opposite or an entirely different random colour combination. During the Wars of the Roses, the Earls of Stafford family heraldy is a yellow background with a red chevron. Their livery colours however were black and red with a knot or a wheel as a badge. The Duke of York's heraldry as a Plantagenet was red and blue with yellow lions and fleur de lis, but his own heraldry was blue and white with a possibly yellow padlock as a badge. The Prince of Wales' who was also a Plantagenet with roughly the same heraldry had black and red sashes with an ostrich feather as a badge.

This is probably because by then, unless its an exceptionally ancient family line like the Staffords, or a guy throwing his weight around like the Duke of York, heraldry is complicated as fuck and sewing up all the jackets and sashes and coats would take longer than the actual war itself.

Pic related is the Earl of Warwick's own heraldry. It should be pretty clear why he decided his men should have a plain red jacket with a white bear holding a stick as his badge.

It's made up, but he made it authentic.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087966/Donald-Trump-wins-right-use-family-crest-Scottish-heralds-advertise-golf-course.html

So, my last name is Eberhard, and we have some "heraldic" poster thing with a coat of arms and pretty legit info on the name AFAIK. How can I find out if I'm related to either of these guys?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_I,_Duke_of_Württemberg

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_I,_Count_of_Württemberg

It's entirely possible those arms belonged to an ancestor of yours, but do take it with a grain of salt. Scams selling them have been around for centuries (even my Great-Grandfather fell for one, just because it was the arms of one of our armigerous ancestors).
>I suspect it might have something related with roman general Flavius Aetius.
Oh man, the chances of that are so bloody slim. It's just too far back. Not impossible, again, but unlikely.

Basically, what you do, if you find one matching your last name (not sure about the Italian system, though), is trace your family tree back, and see if you're related to whom the arms were granted. Or go the other way and look them up and trace their descendants.

Bear in mind that you can still get granted their arms if they're vacant and there are no other claimants.

>and we have some "heraldic" poster
>poster
Bad news for you, freund. But like OP, just check out your family tree. It can be hard, but not as bad as people think. You'll probably have to get an Ancestry account, because they're Jews and horde a lot of records.

It's pretty based.

Okay guys, if I were to hypothetically help reinstate the monarchy in my country and get the new King to acknowledge my efforts and give me the title of a duke or a count, would I be entitled to create, use and display a coat of arms or whatever for my noble family?

Not for your family, no. But you would probably get one for yourself, and then derivations for your family members.
Nothing stopping you doing that now.