How rich is he going to be after the lawsuit, Veeky Forums?

How rich is he going to be after the lawsuit, Veeky Forums?

For a doctor he sure screams like a rat

can u give me a quick rundown on what happened to him?

United Airlines overbooked one of their planes. No place for '4 seats for crew' left
Offered passengers a sum of money and free stay in a hotel to get out.
No one took the bait.
United Airlines decided to choose 4 people at random to kick out of the plane.
One of them went reee.

Seats for crew?

Were there no white males on board? No one would have given a damn.

The idiots forgot to seat their crew before the passengers, I believe. I have no idea how airline booking works.

Don't they have special seats?

Who knows, I'm a Veeky Forums person.

It was a crew for another flight in the destination city, they were just hitching a ride, it wasn't seating for the crew of that flight. They were kicking 4 people off so the crew members could make it to their flight so that they wouldn't have to cancel an entire flight because of lack of crew.

The airline should've just kept raising the $ amount they were offering, get up to $1000-$1500 and you'd have plenty of people who'd give up their seat. Now they're gonna be out millions of dollars in lawsuits and damage to their image.

>It was a crew for another flight in the destination city, they were just hitching a ride,

jesus fucking christ.

That happens all the time, you have to shuttle crews around to different cities so that all your flights are manned. They usually have plenty of extra seats available on flights to handle that but when they overbook and completely fill every seat on the plane then they're kinda fucked.

Not just from United. He'll get rich from suing all the media that have joined in a smear campaign against him after the incident.

It's not defamation if it's true though.

He has no case at all.

The airline had every right to ask for him to be removed. Furthermore, they didn't ask the police to beat the shit out of him nor could they have imagined they would do that.

Like always tough, morons with a police state fetish will bend over backwards to overlook yet another blatant case of pig brutality and accuse the nearest bystander.

The pedophile David Dao is a different one.
But hey they're Asians, their name sounds the same anyway.

bullshit, the right jury will award him millions of dollars in his civil suit, I bet there are thousands of lawyers champing at the bit right now to represent this guy.

he can still potentially make a case that this was neglect on their part and they should have better prepared for such an event as shipping crew over.

not to mention this was such a huge blow to their image that even their stocks took a dip, they would likely settle without even going to court, because they want to sweep this under the rug as quick as possible

You know what a company likes more than paying billions to lawyers for a prolonged court and suffering another billions of damage to their brand? Paying 'just' millions for an out of court settlement.

This.

If this guy purposely dead-fished it and resisted a bit with intention to sue like this, he's a fucking genius.

He's asian. He not only endured the pain, but he enjoyed it knowing how sweet revenge would be.

Oh man, he is NEVER going to have to work again. Between both United and the Chicago PD he is going to be wealthier then we can ever dream to be.

United did not offer the legal maximum they need to before they can involuntary remove people.

>flying Jewnited air
Only made this mistake once in my life. Total shitball airline

Did anyone buy shares when the stock tanked on Tuesday?

Good opportunity and United will withstand this. They already got their lawyers to dig up dirt on this doctor - fucking Newark mafia.

Really, just this. United has already lost about 1.5% of its share price, which is fucking huge for such a large company.

Like if you're planning on shorting it, or did plan on shorting it you would have needed a huge amount of money to really make it worth the risk. Like to make $100 on shorting the stock you would have needed to risk $7,000ish

For future investment, it's not a bad idea, they do consistently well.

That's normal. It's called "deadheading".

This is my beef. It's in ticket purchase terms and conditions that they overbook and tickets do not guarantee seats.

Furthermore, it was the police who injured him after he refused to comply.

If anything, the airline should sue the media and SJW's for shitsmearing their name when all they did is the same shit they do on a daily basis

Yeah he's gonna get paid. They will probably settle out of court for around 1 million.

From what I know he doesn't really deserve it. He was being a beligerrent asshole, and that is mostly why he was removed from the flight.

lol you are underestimating personal injury lawyers. They are like honey badgers, nasty and they really don't give a shit.

> this

Computers don't judge race.

The airline did not ensure he was well treated. The airline did not offer him more money to get out of the place.
The captain did not ask for the police to leave after seeing the man attacked that way.

No one is arguing if it's legal, but showing the client is not your nr 1 concern is bad PR.

Agreed
At least now I have a reason to never use them again

He wont win the suit. He was asked nicely by the airline to leave. That's the same as trespassing.

If anything the airline will counter sue and he will be making minimum payments for the rest of his life.

oh lmao, they'll pay him a cool 10 mill just to go away, that's pocket change for united

Nobody gives a shit about a commie gook

its not chicago pd, its chicago aviation police which is a seperate department. chicago pd isnt allowed to patrol the airports because they have guns and chicago is full of cucks

>It's in ticket purchase terms and conditions that they overbook and tickets do not guarantee seats.
I don't understand how that is actually legal. It does not seem that the airline is entering into the contract in "good faith".

Lost lots of market cap, it would have been good short.

1% down

wow it's over

United has a contract of carriage which refers to overbooking and being denied boarding, but the contract doesn't specifically refer to being kicked off of the plane. It refers to the entire volunteer situation occurring before anyone even gets on the plane.

Their lawyer also doesn't seem to be going for this at all, since this loophole is dodgy and semantic at best (though I doubt that's stopped a lawyer in the past). The main part of the case is going to be the excess of force past what is reasonable. Reasonable force is something fairly different in law, and though I am not aware of the consequences there, united is probably going to get fucked because most people are sympathetic to someone getting their head bashed in versus a big ass company.

>people care about a commie chink

Not one blue-collar worker I know cares about this story.

Well I don't know who's going to be on the jury, so it could go w/e way,

The lawyer put up some videos which revealed the way he is going, and if you want to look up more specific things about reasonable force in law to predict which way it might go I won't stop you because I haven't looked at that stuff in years and have forgotten the nuances.

He will afford all the boypucci he could ever want.

It will depend on his actual damages -- the lawyer is already running that up by referencing the concussion and need for surgery.

Once you have actual damages, then you factor in pain and suffering, and then figure out what a general punitive multiplier would be.

I would value this case as a gut shot at about (500k (surgeries past and future) + 350k in pain and suffering) x 5 (a punitive multiplier since people hate airlines).

So a little less than $5 million. My opening offer to settle before trial would probably be $15 million (premium for PR convenience)

No they don't. This is absolutely wrong and you are not an attorney much less one that understands FAA regs. Once he was boarded, the right to deny entry is very limited. Rule 1 of lawsuits -- common carriers like hotels, buses, trains, and airplanes generally lose.

but really 3 took it and it was just vouchers, and they're not supposed to let you on a flight if it'd gonna be overbooked

This.

People are all OMG the CEO fucked up!

Meh the fallout is not gonna hurt the company at all as long as they have a little sweet PR.

Plus bull investors will start buying in a week or two. Nothing will be lost.

Modern Day American Dream. You can whip my ass and cut off my foot too for that much.

Why accept united overbooking volunteer compensation when you can get millions for sitting on the plane.