Is Scots a language...

Is Scots a language? Does it exist in any countries with heavy Scottish colonisation (other than Northern Ireland) today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JLrDesPT14U
youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0eRKq1lE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language
youtube.com/watch?v=QA4fx3eLUyE
youtube.com/watch?v=qQJ_ZbIMDpc
youtube.com/watch?v=trx1iP9n7ik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is Scots a language
Yes.

>Is Scots a language
Yes.
So is Jamaican Patois and American English.

t. official polyglot

Let's call them idioms

I think one could argue for jamaican Patois as an independent language

It's a dialect, just like Standard English or Irish English. It even has state support in the UK.

Scots thread? Scots thread

youtube.com/watch?v=JLrDesPT14U

You mean Scottish Gaelic

Scottish Gaelic isn't spoken in the lowlands or Northern Ireland in any official capacity though (not that it really matters since Ulster Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic are close as fuck) so obviously OP meant Scots English.

>Is Scots a language?
No.

Neither is Irish, Manx, Cornish, Breton, nor Welsh.

All dead.

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0eRKq1lE

None of those are dead except Manx and Cornish.

Not to mention Scots isn't Celtic, it's a dialect of English.

dialect of English, borderline language

I didn't say it was.

vulgar English

I'd dare to say that Jamaican Patois is no more distinct from English than Scots.

Where's is Irish Gaelic spoken then

no, its a dialect, albeit a dialect with some rather archaic hangons from previous eras.

but it is no more a true language than westcountry english, or black country english

Donegal, Connacht and various places in the south of Munster. Also in few small intellectual and nationalist circles across the entire island.

Ulster still speaks Scots

Ulster was colonized by Scots. Ulster is a Scottish colony

>Ulster still speaks Scots
As much as the DUP like to remind us of this Scots is an even bigger meme-language than Irish.

How can you say it's a dialect when it isn't even mutually intelligble with English? You're probably thinking of Scottish English.

>isn't even mutually intelligible with English
It is, with a little bit of comprehension and foreknowledge of Scots it's pretty much fully intelligible.

So it's on life support

Where Afrikaans mostly spoken in South African like Pretrioa

Because I'm going too rap in Afrikaans

Jacobites are shite.
youtube.com/watch?v=QA4fx3eLUyE

Scots is whats also known as Scottish english, you seem to be thinking of scots gaelic.

NB even the wiki article nots that most scots speakers dont think of it as a seperate language, largely because it isnt.

I've heard an argument that is it's own germanic language, related to English in a similar way to Norwegian and Danish.

There are some rural places that genuinely speak it. But aside from that no one takes it seriously.

The Jacobites did literally nothing wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=qQJ_ZbIMDpc

Bonnie Prince Charlie 2016, we're going to make Scotland great again.

The only thing jacobites are great at is running away.

Even though my ancestors where on the Jacobites I have to agree that King Billy was a good man along with Cormwell

>Cormwell
Memes aside he was more than a bit shit.

This thread is the biggest fucking shitshow I've ever seen on this board. Seriously people, read the thread before posting.

>I've heard an argument that is it's own germanic language, related to English in a similar way to Norwegian and Danish

norwegian and danish barely qualify as seperate languages themselves, the technical term is dialect continuum, and their status as seperate languages owes as much to 18th and 19th century nationalism as it does do linguistics

Define "language"

Define "dialect"

Manx and Cornish aren't dead either.

He killed a lot of micks taigs and fenians which I like

The difference between dialects and languages is mutual intelligibility. All "languages" that feature mutual intelligibility with other "languages" are merely dialects that are referred to as languages for political purposes (see: Galician vs Portuguese, Serbian vs Croatian).
Prove me wrong.

they attempted to usurp parliaments sovereignity and enforce a foreign born monarch upon the british people despite their clearly expressed will that this not be done.

they attempted take over the whole of the UK by force of arms and failed miserably, deserving every bit of the repression that followed.

what do you think would have happened had they won, a french puppet on the throne, lacking public support and maintaining position only by french money and arms.

bonnie prince charlie was not bonnie and not legally a prince, he was a vainglorious fool trying to return the worst dynasty in british history to a throne they had lost and didnt deserve to regain.

Good post.

he was a asshole, but he was a competent asshole, a good generaland a honorable man.

Can you understand this?

youtube.com/watch?v=trx1iP9n7ik

To England then they went, as bold, as bold,
To England then they went, as bold;
To England then they went,
And Carlisle they ta'en't,
The Crown they fain would ha'en't, but behold.

To London as they went, on the Way, on the Way,
To London as they went, on the way,
To London as they went,
In a Trap did there present,
No battle they will stent, for to die.

They turned from that Place, and they ran, and they ran,
They turned from that Place, and they ran;
They turned from that Place
As the Fox, when Hounds do chace.
They tremble at the Name, Cumberlan'.

To Scotland then they came, when they fly, when they fly,
To Scotland then they came, when they fly,
To Scotland then they came,
And they robb'd on every Hand,
By Jacobites Command, where they ly.

When Duke William does command, you must go, you must go;
When Duke William does command, you must go;
When Duke William does command,
Then you must leave the Land,
Your Conscience in your Hand like a Crow.

Tho' Carlisle ye took by the Way, by the Way;
Tho' Carlisle ye took by the Way;
Tho' Carlisle ye took,
Short Space ye did it Brook,
These Rebels got a Rope on a Day.

The Pope and Prelacy, where they came, where they came,
The Pope and Prelacy, where they came;
The Pope and Prelacy,
They rul'd with Cruelty,
They ought to hing on high for the same.

There's a famous painting now that everybody knows,
It stands upon a gable wall over Sandyrow,
In memory of King William and brethren who did join,
They fought for our deliverance, at the battle of the Boyne.

chorus
King Billy's on the wall, King Billy's on the wall
He stands so high, he shines so bright he lights up the falls,
There's million's come to see him they stand and gaze in awe,
They remember 1690, King Billy's on the wall

Now there are slogans painted in red white and blue,
They tell the pope where he can go and what he can do,
There's one to Gerad Rice, well that's a different class,
Go stick the lower Ormeau road and stick it up your ass!

chorus
Well the the next time your in Ulster won't you come and have a look,
Stand beside that mural and have your photo took,
Then put it on your mantel piece or hang it in your hall,
So that all the world can see King Billy's On The Wall!

>foreign born
You ought to know about throwing stones and glass houses and that.

George II, was a natural born Kraut.

>what do you think would have happened had they won, a french puppet on the throne, lacking public support and maintaining position only by french money and arms.
Yeah but I'm a big Francoboo so that's cool.

I can understand around 50-60% of it. The problem with Scots is that it's one of those edge cases where the spoken form is occasionally complwtely incomprehensible, but the written form is almost completely intelligible:
>This is the storie o the birth o Jesus Christ. His mither Mary wis trystit til Joseph, but afore they war mairriet she wis fund tae be wi bairn bi the Halie Spírit. Her husband Joseph, honest man, hed nae mind tae affront her afore the warld an wis for brakkin aff their tryst hidlinweys; an sae he wis een ettlin tae dae, whan an angel o the Lord kythed til him in a draim an said til him, “Joseph, son o Dauvit, be nane feared tae tak Mary your trystit wife intil your hame; the bairn she is cairrein is o the Halie Spírit. She will beir a son, an the name ye ar tae gíe him is Jesus, for he will sauf his fowk frae their sins.”
>Aa this happent at the wurd spokken bi the Lord throu the Prophet micht be fulfilled: Behaud, the virgin wil bouk an beir a son, an they will caa his name Immanuel – that is, “God wi us”.
>Whan he hed waukit frae his sleep, Joseph did as the angel hed bidden him, an tuik his trystit wife hame wi him. But he bedditna wi her or she buir a son; an he caa’d the bairn Jesus.
It's written form is pretty much just misspelled English with a few dialect-specific words.
Still, it seems more accurate to classify it as a dialect rather than an independent language because of its relative intelligibility.

the difference between george II and the stuarts is that the hanoverians had the consent and approval of parliament, pointing out that charles edward stuart was foreign born is meant to remind those foolish enough to think that he did no wrong, or was some kind of scots king come to set the world to rights that he was no such thing, he was a adventurer seeking to exploit the highlanders for his own gain, caring little for their losses if it put his father back on the throne

tbqhwyl I'm not that hot on monarchy in general. My commitment to the Jacobites only really goes as far as aesthetics and contrarianism.

>contrarianism.
Typical

Jacobites suck ass good thing King Billy killed them all

my support for monarchism is limited to the constitutional variety, a monarch can be useful, but Royalpower must be limited and sparingly used. the rest of the political power should be vested in a democratically elected body.

essentially the current british system, all the benefits of a republic plus some other benefits in a crisis

>King Billy
I dunno why loyalists hate gay marriage yet worship this homo so much.

He got mad pussy boi Dutchmen had big dicks back then better then that taig King that never lead his men into battle

>Dutchmen had big dicks
And King Billy would know all about them.

Is there actually any proof for him bein bisexual? (He clearly isn't gay seeing all the mistresses he had)or is just a maymay to trigger loyalists?

It's half memeing, half genuine suspicion on the count of him being childless and having some very, very close young man friends.

>He clearly isn't gay seeing all the mistresses he had)
I thought he only had the one mistress. And even then his relationship with her is just as much speculation as his relationship with Keppel if I'm not mistaken.

King Fredrick was Gay
But King Billy won his battles
unlike that taig bastard

He may have been childless but his wife had a load of stillborns, seems like solid memery.

Go to bed lad, Jesus Christ.

>won his battles
Aye he was a real master of the rear charge.

It would be considered as a language if Scotland voted Yes

kek

>When you a lost argument and you start useing gay jokes

good few huns ITT

Shouldn't have mentioned Northern Ireland in the OP.