Is a University degree the best possible investment?

Is a University degree the best possible investment?

It seems that even getting a shitty English degree or something is a lot better than having nothing at all, in the long run.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/aUXRE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I feel like it depends on the person. I'm pretty confident that if I didn't go to college I'd still be doing okay

It is provided you don't go to a school that charges $30K+.

But can we agree that in general, having ANY college degree is better than having nothing at all?

I think it's depending on what you want to do. From my experience, success is determined by how consistent and persistent you are to achieve your goals. There are certain Fields where there is very clear red tape where you need formal education to continue (such as healthcare and pharm), however in other fields, you can learn it all yourself if you have the drive, and make something out of your life if you go forward and want to achieve it.

Not everyone can do that though , so following the most general path getting a degree is a step in the right direction.

eth has been my best investment

>however in other fields, you can learn it all yourself if you have the drive, and make something out of your life if you go forward and want to achieve it.

I think you're right. But what about the fact that HR departments will literally never call you for an interview if you don't have a bachelors degree? (limiting choices severely)

Or the fact that many companies will literally pay you more just because you have one? - Including paying partial or full costs of part-time University education of their employees?

It seems pretty much universally (no pun intended) that getting a 4-year degree is the best choice one can make.

>It seems pretty much universally (no pun intended) that getting a 4-year degree is the best choice one can make.

Wrong

If you want to be a wageslave for the next 40 years of your life, sure

What the hell is your point?

Even in the worst case scenario where you get a music degree you still make head and shoulders over the highschool graduate.

if you get a nice salary you can save and put that money towards something more fun later.

>tfw accounting

what's 'mid-career' mean?

At least 10 years of experience

compare that to no college degree?

My school charged us about 60k per year in tuition alone, but it was Ivy League so maybe that's acceptable there.

Anyway OP I think college is absolutely worth it but one reason a lot of people don't think so might be the sense off disconnect from what they learned there when they get their first job. Straight out of college, a company wanted to make sure I went to school, got my degree, and had good grades before giving me the job. Just one time. After being asked that one time, I never used what I learned in school on the job and no job after ever asked or cared. However, that first job allowed me to make a great salary and other jobs only built on it. And there simply are not any jobs like the first one I had which are offered to people without relevant degrees. It just feels useless afterwards, but indirectly it is a necessary step.

If you really want to go blue-collar/trade, that's totally up to you and you probably wouldn't need one there.

>Even in the worst case scenario where you get a music degree you still make head and shoulders over the highschool graduate.

False
archive.is/aUXRE

As college gets more expensive the debt premiums rise forcing graduates to sometimes compromise with a shitty job rather than search longer for a good job.

I live in Canada. 50% of the population has post secondary education. You literally cannot compete without a degree.

No, it's just that being a college graduate means you're not on the same level as the part-time taco bell employee high-school drop outs

The degree is irrelevant - it's the character and drive of someone willing to get a degree. If you're smart but never go to college, you'll be better off than dumb cunts who never go to college.

this graph doesn't even measure average income, or quality of employment. Just employment. employment alone is not enough reason for college. its quality employment.

college doesn't magically make you a successful person, and four years you spend at college could be time spent learning a trade or apprenticeship. its your individual choices that determine success. If theres a certain field like STEM, law, etc. college is a great investment because those high paying jobs will offset tuition, which is ridiculously overpriced.

degrees like comp sci or programming aren't even necessary to get a job in related fields anyway.

>You literally cannot compete without a degree.

Congratulations, big academia has created a situation where it's products demand is so artificially inflated that people either have to go in debt to get it or convince the federal government to subsidize it.

>Bachelor's degree OR HIGHER
All the masters and PHD's propping up the numbers.

is your career in the same field as your major?

Generally yes, if your smart about it. If you just want a shitty english degree, do community college while working, then transfer and graduate in 2 years while collecting fafsa grants, there's no reason to go into debt over school unless your doing something like med school.

University Degrees can be a good investment but not all of the time, not by a long shot. If you study the right subject, in the right place, at the right time, it absolutely is worth it. But if you go in just to "get a degree" because "any degree is a good degree" those are the people who end up eating government cheese while working at Starbucks and living in a studio apartment with 3 other people trying to pay off $60,000 in student loans for a B.A in Somalian Literature.

The ultimate red pill is that unless you are pursuing some kind of job that requires a specialized skill, your best bet in life is nepotism and making connections. Knowing a guy who knows a guy, or randomly meeting somebody at the right time, and a little bit of luck mixed in, can pave the way out of complete wage cuckery more than any sort of formal education can.

The problem with college nowadays is that it's becoming more and more expensive because people keep voting in for the government to keep throwing more money into education and now the colleges have an oversupply of funding and literally an entire generation of dumb brainwashed 18 year olds who have been told their entire lives that "you can't put a price on education" and "if you don't go to college you are gonna work at McDonalds for your entire life" so the demand for college remains high with little relation to the price they charge, despite the education being dumbed down more and more so they can push as many students through as possible. Price is going up and quality going down.

>investing in a uni degree
>not having your country pay YOU to study

I got my med. degree for free, i even got payed to study.
You americucks sure love getting cucked by everyone, even your government.

It's only getting cucked if you fall for it

If you treat it like job training, which it is, then you'll be fine. People get into trouble when the pursue a major "they're interested in" without regard to what they will do after graduation.

My major was in mathematics, my career is in Actuarial Mathematics. Very similar.

My company pays me to study.

/thread
University degree is a must have to compete on the labor market. Only burgers with their ultra expensive elitist system have to wonder if it's worth it or not.

>Spending absurd amounts of money and at least four years of your time for knowledge that you can acquire for free
College is a terrible investment unless we are talking about top-tier universities and fields, in which case the value of your degree may compensate for your wasted time.

Correlation != Causation

I only spend $1200 per semester at a state college and live at home. Going to get a job in the tech field when I graduate. With the amount of money I'm spending I think it's a fantastic investment even if I get a shitty job or have terrible grades.