Why weren't there more assassinations back when it was easy to just walk up to a tyrant and stab him?

Why weren't there more assassinations back when it was easy to just walk up to a tyrant and stab him?

And some people had much less to lose too.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-François_Damiens
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_Gérard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because most of the time it wasn't just a case of walking up and stabbing them.

Every ruler in history has had some form of security/guards.

>when it was easy to just walk up to a tyrant and stab him
This was never the case

this. when there is an assassination it usually is a guard who does it

or your own army during a nice parade

There was definitively no complex logistical and ballistic science and a committee of experts committed to making sure the king/duke... was never exposed. And the assassination attempts I could find were done by complete amateurs with little planning.

Look how easy it was to headshot Kennedy. Walk into a theater and turn Lincoln in a bullet sponge. Or that one frenchman who rushed to the King's carriage, jumped in and stabbed him.

or heck that one time when a guy casually walked up to the Austrian Duke and shot him. Triggering some war over it apparently.

You mean the day Black hand made 4 attempts of assasination, where 2 failed due to terrorists ckicken out, 1 failed because Cabrinovic missed and then Princip succeded because he got lucky?

Not my fault they fucking suck at aiming. Princip got a good shot and honestly he didn't even had to try that hard.

People who murdered rulers would generally face horrible consequences for it.

Like what? Dying? It's not like we wouldn't give them the death penalty, shot on the spot or life in a military prison today either.

>Dying
More like being tortured in a way that breaks your mind and traumatizes you for life.

Try horrible torture and public execution.
Besides, most people wouldnt throw away their life to kill another person except for very specific reasons.

the type of person who gets assassinated is particularly wary of it

also often they have a just as bad but more hostile and paranoid second who will take over and/or start a civil war that destroys everything

>torture

Most of the assassins I can think of were given a swift execution. Or in the worst case, tortured for a few minutes then executed. Drawn and quartered is a fucking joke considering most of the ''torture'' happens after you die.

Centipedes inserted into your asshole.

insert obligatory scaphism here

People were more moral back then in our modern era everyone is a filthy degenerate that only thinks with their disgusting primitive gibsmedat ape mind that's why a world leader can't go anywhere without being surrounded by 500 people.

What the fuck is up with his hair?

>People were more moral back then

>Rape, pillage, massacres commonplace
>More moral

i'm yet to understand this meme i've been seeing this for 6 months

sometimes you just don't ask

oh my sweet summer child

it's a meme you dip

Wow thanks for the info

Is it a reference to some guy who died? I don't seem to be able to recognize it.

yes, all of us experienced posters get debriefings on new memes and their origin and meaning

It's still relatively easy to assassinate any person on earth. You just have to apply yourself and accept the fact that you won't get away.

>you won't get away

Generally speaking, most assassins don't even want to as they feel they've done nothing wrong. Their actions were heroic if tragic rather than horrific.

>Most of the assassins I can think of were given a swift execution.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-François_Damiens

>this is your brain on /pol/

This is correct. It's relatively simple to assassinate somebody. Getting away with it is almost impossible.

t. temporary exceptionalist
Ancient Greeks and Romans were, by your definition, degenerate as fuck.

One example does not counter "most".

>People were more moral back then

"Most" assassinations take place in democracies where security for the head of state is less through (because the head of state is required to be among the common people on a semi-regular basis) and it is legally impossible to torture anybody.

The point still stands. Explaining the mechanics of its realization does not counter the truth of it.

Because most people aren't suicidal.
What's the point of killing a king if you're not going to live to see the difference, and even if you have a family guess what they are going to be killed too just for being related to you.
Pretty pointless.
Assassination would probably go over even better in modern times because no one's going to kill your family in retaliation.

I'm not really trying to counter anything.

>It's still relatively easy to assassinate any person on earth.

Try to assassinate Obama and report back. Presidents and high powered world figures are constantly under very elaborate cover and security protocols. There isn't a single moment where you will be allowed a clear shot, no matter where or when you try.

I see. Thanks for the explanation then, I suppose.

it's still pretty easy tbqh. I don't see any reason that somebody couldn't pull an Oswald and assassinate a politician while they're doing a rally in the open.

There are more examples.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_Gérard

as my high school history teacher always said, the first World War started when it did because some idiot went for a sandwich.

Open up child, here comes the airplane. A dentist got a bad haircut and black Twitter made a joke of it claiming that the barber "Just fucked his shit up". Then people slapped the haircut onto the sad excuse for an actor known as Brendan Fraser along with those watery cat eyes and now the haircut is equal to someone's shit getting fucked up/their life being a wreck. It's a very mildly amusing meme that has been evolving for quite awhile. Memers think jokes should be kept secret and that's why they won't tell you. Use Google or lurk next time and you won't be mocked with gay frogs.

>people were more moral
>""""""justified"""""" racism
>more wars
>dictators on the rise, committing genocide, forced labour
>more death, disease and misery

Fuck off

All is well for Brendan now

Here's the debriefing: Some dentist had an ad and in this ad he had fucked-up hair. Then there was the

Barber: What you want?
He: Just fuck my shit up senpai
Barber: Say no more senpai

And then there's a pic of the doc with fucked up hair. Hence: JUST, as in "just fuck my shit up." "Shit" originally just referred to hair, but now it refers to everything. Thus, grafting the JUST hair onto someone indicates that their shit has been fucked up.

Why the fuck are you explaining memes to people you retards

>explaining memes
Veeky Forums you are cringy sometimes but this is too much

I really love that story about how a man with just a gun assassinated the leader of the Dutch- William the Silent- during the Dutch Wars of Independence and he was executed horribly for it.

And then the guy who promised a 25,000 cash reward - King Philip II- went "holy shit the guy actually did it, the absolute madman." and elevated that man's family into nobility with 3 estates to their name.

>using the word debriefing incorrectly

Assassinations and attempts were quite common throughout history.
Also, don't joke about killing Trump. You don't want Pence as the POTUS.

From Focault's Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison
(PART 1)

"On 1 March 1757 Damiens the regicide was condemned "to make the amende honorable before the main door of the Church of Paris", where he was to be "taken and conveyed in a cart, wearing nothing but a shirt, holding a torch of burning wax weighing two pounds"; then, "in the said cart, to the Place de Grève, where, on a scaffold that will be erected there, the flesh will be torn from his breasts, arms, thighs and claves with red-hot pincers, his right hand, holding the knife with which he committed the said parricide, burnt with sulphur, and, on those places where the flesh will be torn away, poured molten lead, boiling oil, burning resin, wax and sulphur melted together and then his body drawn and quartered by four horses and his limbs and body consumed by fire, reduced to ashes and his ashes thrown to the winds" (Pièces originales..., 372-4).

"Finally, he was quartered," recounts the Gazette d'Amsterdam of 1 April 1757. "This last operation was very long, because the horses used were not accustomed to drawing; consequently, instead of four, six were needed; and when that did not suffice, they were forced, in order to cut off the wretch's thighs, to sever the sinews and hack at the joints...

"It is said that, though he was always a great swearer, no blashemy escaped his lips; but the excessive pain made him utter horrible cries, and he often repeated: 'My God, have pity on me! Jesus, help me!' The spectators were all edified by the solicitude of the parish priest of St Paul's who despite his great age did not spare himself in offering consolation to the patient.

(PART 2)

Bouton, an officer of the watch, left us his account: "The sulphur was lit, but the flame was so poor that only the top skin of the hand was burnt, and that only slightly. Then the executioner, his sleeves rolled up, took the steel pincers, which had been especially made for the occasion, and which were about a foot and a half long, and pulled first at the calf of the right leg, then at the thigh, and from there at the two fleshy parts of the right arm; then at the breasts. Though a strong, sturdy fellow, this executioner found it so difficult to tear away the pieces of flesh that he set about the same spot two or three times, twisting the pincers as he did so, and what he took away formed at each part a wound about the size of a six-pound crown piece.

"After these tearings with the pincers, Damiens, who cried out profusely, though without swearing, raised his head and looked at himself; the same executioner dipped an iron spoon in the pot containing the boiling potion, which he poured liberally over each wound. Then the ropes that were to be harnessed to the horses were attached with cords to the patient's body; the horses were then harnessed and placed alongside the arms and legs, one at each limb.

"Monsieur Le Breton, the clerk of the court, went up to the patient several times and asked him if he had anything to say. He said he had not; at each torment, he cried out, as the damned in hell are supposed to cry out, 'Pardon, my God! Pardon, my Lord.' Despite all this pain, he raised his head from time to time and looked at himself boldly. The cords had been tied so tightly by the men who pulled the ends that they caused him indescribable pain. Monsieur le [sic] Breton went up to him again and asked him if he had anything to say; he said no. Several confessors went up to him and spoke to him at length; he willingly kissed the crucifix that was held out to him; he opened his lips and repeated: 'Pardon, Lord.'

>implying Pence isn't already running the show

Trump is the salesman. He wanted the attention but it's painfully clear he has no interest in doing the job. He cut the same deal with Pence he tried to pull with Kasich.

(PART 3)

"The horses tugged hard, each pulling straight on a limb, each horse held by an executioner. After a quarter of an hour, the same ceremony was repeated and finally, after several attempts, the direction of the horses had to be changed, thus: those at the arms were made to pull towards the head, those at the thighs towards the arms, which broke the arms at the joints. This was repeated several times without success. He raised his head and looked at himself. Two more horses had to be added to those harnessed to the thighs, which made six horses in all. Without success.

"Finally, the executioner, Samson, said to Monsieur Le Breton that there was no way or hope of succeeding, and told him to ask their Lordships if they wished him to have the prisoner cut into pieces. Monsieur Le Breton, who had come down from the town, ordered that renewed efforts be made, and this was done; but the horses gave up and one of those harnessed to the thighs fell to the ground. The confessors returned and spoke to him again. He said to them (I heard him): 'Kiss me, gentlemen.' The parish priest of St Paul's did not dare to, so Monsieur de Marsilly slipped under the rope holding the left arm and kissed him on the forehead. The executioners gathered round and Damiens told them not to swear, to carry out their task and that he did not think ill of them; he begged them to pray to God for him, and asked the parish priest of St Paul's to pray for him at the first mass.

(END)

"After two or three attempts, the executioner Samson and he who had used the pincers each drew out a knife from his pocket and cut the body at the thighs instead of severing the legs at the joints; the four horses gave a tug and carried off the two thighs after them, namely, that of the right side first, the other following; then the same was done to the arms, the shoulders, the arm-pits and the four limbs; the flesh had to be cut almost to the bone, the horses pulling hard carried off the right arm first and the other afterwards.

"When the four limbs had been pulled away, the confessors came to speak to him; but his executioner told them that he was dead, though the truth was that I saw the man move, his lower jaw moving from side to side as if he were talking. One of the executioners even said shortly afterwards that when they had lifted the trunk to throw it on the stake, he was still alive. The four limbs were untied from the ropes and thrown on the stake set up in the enclosure in line with the scaffold, then the trunk and the rest were covered with logs and faggots, and fire was put to the straw mixed with this wood.

"...In accordance with the decree, the whole was reduced to ashes. The last piece to be found in the embers was still burning at half-past ten in the evening. The pieces of flesh and the trunk had taken about four hours to burn. The officers of whom I was one, as also was my son, and a detachment of archers remained in the square until nearly eleven o'clock.

"There were those who made something of the fact that a dog had lain the day before on the grass where the fire had been, had been chased away several times, and had always returned. But it is not difficult to understand that an animal found this place warmer than elsewhere" (quoted in Zevaes, 201-14).

it just takes a single person to successfully kill someone and alter the course of history
but today is harder because you leave more footprints behind

it's ok i let him do it

This one was noted for being unusual tho. The executioners were clearly not used to that level of torture which explains their clumsiness.

Yes, after all that shit, they still had an opening.

It was unusual because he was the last person to be drawn and quartered in France - there hadn't been prospective regicides in a while. In premodern times you wouldn't get a swift execution for killing royalty.

God that is a scary thought. Pence convinces Trump to be pro-nuclear proliferation, Trump gets assassinated, and Pence spreads cleansing holy nuclear fire across the globe.

Murder rates everywhere in the world now are lower than back in those "moral" days.

Are pol-fags hoping Trump gets assassinated so they don't have to live through his presidency and be embarrassed about supporting the guy?

I mean it's already happening? One of you guys should just false flag and throw a rock at him while shouting #imwithher or something.

Well as the others said they had guards.
In addition to that, though, torture was a lot more common than it is today (in the West at least). If you assassinated the King and his supporters remained in power, you'd be killed very painfully.

It's very real though. Pence is leading the transition team between the administrations.

Trump has already said the job is way bigger than he thought it'd be and he has no interest in living in the white house. He's overwhelmed by the job already and all he's done so far is pick new staff members.

I feel kinda bad for him desu but he brought it on himself. Anyway, prepare your anus for President Pence. It's happening.

maybe we do need to purge the unclean, maybe humans need to take their role as the paradigm shift from evolution to creation more seriously and this is the way to do it

purge yourself first

You should stop believing everything the mainstream media tells you.

Remember they told you Hillary would win.

This. MSM is just trying to spin a false narrative to delegitimize the election, like they did with the "Brexit regret" meme.

This. Was going to bring him up. Fuck it was horrible.

I am burdened with the task of purifying others

>Look how easy it was to headshot Kennedy.

Against the wishes of his body guards he did not have the bullet proof top on his car that day. Also Oswald had a touch higher then normal Marksmanship Qualification test scores for the era inside the USMC. Not that makes him a great shoot or anything but he was far from a complete amateur.

>Walk into a theater and turn Lincoln in a bullet sponge.

We walked past the guards because he was a famous actor who worked at that theater.

>Why weren't there more assassinations back when it was easy to just walk up to a tyrant and stab him?

Does nobody know about fucking Rome? Julius Caesar? Julio Claudians? Crisis of the Third Century?

Or even in modern times Lincoln, McKinley European monarchs.

Get a mortar and fire it on the U.S Capitol during the presidential inauguration

Considering how so many people were devastated by so many wars every tyrants should have been assassinated.

Even today, with all our security science, I don't give orange hitler 2 months.

Without even a gun iirc, he begged William for money for shoes and used that to buy one. Although maybe I'm thinking of the assassin that failed.

>orange hitler

Despite not being a big fan of Trump, I implore you to fuck off back to Facebook you piece of trash.

Because even then, just like to today, the best defense against assassination is just to make sure that your death will change nothing. If you're a shitty ruler with a track record of stepping on your subjects at every turn? Make sure the guy who'd take your place is another shitty ruler that would step on their subjects at every turn as well.

The other issue is the fact that it's not just your own life on the line, but rather your family's too. Even today, though family members technically aren't held responsible for the heinous acts of their members, they still feel the effects anyway.

anons wanting their memes to be top secret is way more cringy tbph

consider death