/rpgmg/ RPG Maker General #233

DATABASE! DATABASE! Just livin' in the DATABASE.

Previous thread >/rpgmg/ Wikia
rpgmg-games.wikia.com/wiki//rpgmg/_Games_Wikia
>Art Resources & DLC Pastebin
pastebin.com/2bJ8wBsz
>[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
>[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

/rpgmg/ Collab Project | Ch5 awaiting volunteer
mediafire.com/file/ckfve2l1n6skby6/CollabProj-4.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jEtJ83c8LWg
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/map-generator.51808/
youtube.com/watch?v=4PpYIueofFg
youtube.com/watch?v=3vemt_EKqfo
mediafire.com/file/6d0qk6yc8ew9g58/Game.exe
twitter.com/maple_LuwenWS/media
mediafire.com/file/44doi3ifxscam58/Project 3.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post progress

I have a college presentation this friday so I can't work on mine.
it hurts

youtube.com/watch?v=jEtJ83c8LWg

>spend all day at work thinking about the project I'll start and how great it will be
>get home
>Veeky Forums all day again

brb gotta save this thread

So I just started Persona3 (better late than never I guess) and it kinda struck me at how basic the game is. There's a dungeon that you just go to sometimes with a random generation, and then outside of that, there's a handful of areas that you build up stats to run VN-styled stat increases to get closer to people to power your combat abilities.

It was pretty well received from what I remember, but can a game this basic with one central, rogue-like dungeon and the world build around it be an interesting (enough) concept for an RPGMaker game?

Obviously depends on how things are presented but that type of core for a game?

Something like Diablo, Torchlight, Darkest Dungeon, Summon Night

Just throw in waifus and people will like your game.

well yeah. But done in RPGMaker.

yeah that would probably do it

It's all in the characters. If you've got interesting characters that have even more interesting interactions with eachother you make it engaging for the player, 'cause they get attached.

A game always needs at least really good gameplay (to justify a simple or even shitty story) or an amazing story with good characters (to justify a simple gameplay).

>find swap trees I really like
>they look TOO good, and clash with other plants I've made
fuck, now I have to make my own, based off these great ones, because I can't fucking color like Mark-fucking-Ferrari.

you've summed it up pretty well, but you didn't mention the calendar/clock and passage of time. Something that banal really resonated with people because A: they have life schedules to keep and this was a fun mimicry of that, in that you budget your time on what you want to do versus what you know you NEED to do to get stronger in-game, and B: it set expectations of "this holiday I like is coming up, I wonder what will happen with these characters" and "will I be able to strengthen my bond to ___ in time for this event?" and a general estimator for when you know the game will end(the writing sets a sort of deadline for you).

It all ends up being structured in a very relatable way that made it easy for people to set goals, reach them, and speed up & make schedule adherence(or deviation from it) fun.

fuck scheduled games. i just want to collect ingredients and go on a happy crafting adventure.

i don't want to be constantly pressured by deadlines.

Doesn't the Atelier games have a time limit?

>VN-styled
>Calendar/Clock
It's is called a SIM. P3 is a Social SIM RPG. It's time & resource management (that's the gameplay) in context to a life - be it on a farm, in-school, or dating.
Visual Novels aren't Video Games, they're different types of media. It would be like calling it Movie-style because it uses cinematics. VNs don't have gameplay. Movies, don't have gameplay.

I'm going to assume, when you say "Roguelike" you're just referring to procedurally generated levels, It can be done in RPG maker.
but it's probably too advanced for you.
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/map-generator.51808/

Yes. The Atelier games are life sims.
The Iris titles, and the Mana Khemia spin-offs were more focused on RPG gameplay,
So you couldn't miss the story missions. But how you spent the rest of your time would go into evaluating your ending scene.

Is a one town, one LARGE dungeon game (ala diablo or EO) a realistic scope for my first game?

You're just regurgitating buzzwords and didn't even address my post in any meaningful way. Persona 3 has turned-based party combat in a dungeon with levelling up and character statistics that enable skill-based decisions and growth in overcoming enemy battles. This is the primary gameplay and is an RPG first and foremost, by your own warped definitions. The dating, calendar-schedule elements are largely optional and take a back seat to the dungeon clearing combat gameplay. Shut the fuck up. You will not be answered or responded to if you reply by me.

Yes!

Well, one town and one dungeon is...

I started working on some simple sidequests and flowcharts are a invaluable for planning them out. I like when there are more ways to solve one quest but I think this is getting a little out of hand.
Can anyone think of some different outcome / combination? I might have missed something obvious.
Probably the best thing you can do. There are many ways to pad the content in this kind of game too if you end up unsatisfied with the lenght.

I want to look this over and respond, please understand it may take a day or two to process for some folks, since you won't get a ton of replies immediately

You are so sexy when you work on your game user.

Hey, fanartanon here! My computer seems to be working well, so first to post a character/monster/whatever gets a drawing!

I'll never be pretty

SHIT I POSTED THE TOO BIG VERSION SORRY
mods delet it if you want / have to

Oh dear.

aight!
what's this though?

It's just a decorative part of his helmet. I think of it as protruding slightly diagonally from the helmet on both sides.

Bump!

ahuehueheueheuehue

How do you create flowcharts like this? This would actually be really handy for me to look at the sequence of events in my game.

I can't think of any other outcomes but it is a little confusing without the context in the first place. It seems like every time you screw over Zacharias and make him provide and pay for everything then everyone is happy. While the best rewards are when you give these items to the Kobolds who can't pay for them in the first place? This just makes me think that Zacharias is a total bro and bigger hero than the protagonist, while the kobolds are pathetic moochers who don't contribute any value. Blind first impressions eh ^_^ This is why context is so important and I'm sure you've done a good job establishing it in the actual game.

Considering how limited most games are in choices that feels plenty fleshed out to me. Unless the total gameplay is like 20 hours AND you have a New Game+ option players will never experience 70% of those different outcomes. This would be really discouraging to me as a creator but if each outcome only took a few minutes to create then it isn't as heartbreaking as I imagined.

I highly recommend y'all a tool called Twine.

It's half and half. Your social links are tied the RPG elements. They're not optional mini games or a 1 time event. You can't refuse to play the simulation because you're IN the simulation. You can only neglect things which is part of the simulation's design.

If you're going to pretend to be a game designer, I'm going to make sure you understand the FUNDAMENTAL vocabulary. So you at least sound credible. Stop using meaningless adjectives like "VN-style" or using other game titles to make comparisons, and actually learn the design principles and category conventions. If you really knew what these things were you wouldn't be asking what you need to do to make it work.

You know? It's a pizza-pie not a pizza-cake. You can make a cake that "looks" like a pie. You can make a pie that "looks" like a cake. But there's an objective difference. You can't make one or the other intentionally unless you know what that it is.

How did you get in my house again?

Choicescript is also pretty okay if you want more of a coding type thing that you can run through.

So are RPGs also a Battle Sims?

1)You're asking if blue can also be red.
RPG is just the name of a genre. A game can have more than 1 genre. But a genre can't have more than1 gameplay. You can have subgenres - but they're all the same gameplay but formated differently. jrpgs have parties, wrpgs have single player characters. It's got nothing to do with the country of origin - that's just a namesake.
I'm not sure people are really grasping the linguistics of that.

2) "simulation" the verb isn't not "simulation" the noun. A name for gameplay involving "time and resource management".

bumping

>wrpgs have single player characters
Lord British and Bioware send their regards

Ok.

Your English teachers send their regrets.

both of those are Crpgs, they're in the same catagory as Baldurs gate and Planescape Torment.

Not him but what is wrong with this sentence?
English isn't my first language so I may miss something obvious.

Nothing, he's trolling

>Name two devs
>'Two games'

You're losing your touch

Worked on a small redesign for these two main characters.

Glen ( right ) has more of an angelic look, including the stereotypical blonde curly hair and light skin, while Nitt ( left ), the antagonist, is a bit of the opposite, with a similar type of clothing but darker and ripped to give it a evil, corrupted look.

All video game rpgs are computer rpgs. The term only distinguishes from table top rpgs where the gamemaster is a person rather than a computer.

CRPG isn't the name of a video game genre- it would just be an RPG. And more to the point, video game genres sub genres don't apply to TRPGs since TRPGs aren't video games.

The sentence is fine. It's his reading comprehension.

"Western RPG" is the name of a subgenre; a characteristic formatting of the gameplay.

Which isn't the same thing as "western" "rpg". An rpg from a western country. Not a name, but an adjective. That has nothing do with the gameplay. Therefore not a subgenre.

We call these things misnomers. French Fries aren't actually French. Cooke cakes aren't actually cakes.

Are you implying a 'Western' RPG can only have one party member? That's it's defining trait?

Not sure why but Nitt looks somehow more friendly than Glen.
Maybe it's the posture?

Must be the relaxed and polite pose.
She's a calm and collected villain who's more of the type that uses words rather than actions so a threatening pose might not fit the artwork so well.

No, that's 'western rpg'.
And it would be more accurate to say you PLAY as one character. Since there might be a party, but you don't play as the party.

That was a distinguishing characteristic between rpgs from japan and the west at one point in time. That's how it got it's name.
But it's just a name.

Like English Bulldog. There is history to the name. But it doesn't mean all bulldogs from England are "English Bulldogs".
It's a name of breed. Not nationality.
You could call them, idk, "Rumble Tumbles" for what a name is worth. Nouns aren't Adjectives.

>And it would be more accurate to say you PLAY as one character
That's exactly what you do in Bioware and the Ultima games. In Ultima, You (the player) are specifically referred to as The Avatar. In Bioware games, 'You' are always the main character, and the party you drag around is always whoever they are. It isn't Final Fantasy 1 where you can name people however you please. There is You, and Your Party. This is well within your (admittedly flawed) definition of a Western RPG.

It's like these metaphors you're using. They're similar to the the points in Whose Line? They may make you feel important, but they don't do anything

Do you guys only care about original works or works that are inspired by a preexisting series?

I'm not sure if you can be 100 % original anymore, if you look hard enough you will find similar ideas/concepts elsewhere.
With that said there is a huge difference between getting inspired by a series and being a copycat.
So if you take ideas from different games and give them your own spin then I am much more interested than playing a fangame with ripped sprites or something.

Well good. I'm glad you finally agreed with me on something.

But now I have to teach you the difference between metaphors and analogies. If you're legitimately autistic and can't wrap your head around those, there's no shame in saying so (You're anonymous after all) It just means I need to try explaining it some other way.

A high quality fangame of a series I like is more interesting to me than something original but with good production values, of course the issue with some fangames is that things are too fanfiction.net tier. There are of course plenty of good original games that of course take ideas from other works, but are very much their own thing and therefore you basically need to try it to know if it is worth it.

Alright motherfuckers gonna give myself a homework assignment and have a complete game within the next 8 hours

>Make an opening scene
>Make a town
>Make a world map path to first dungeon with mobs
>Make dungeon with mobs
>Make boss fight
>End cutscene and roll credits

All RTP shit I might even use premade maps

Just to say I made a fucking game. If I can't even focus on this shit I give up forever

Deal.
You better have something when I wake up tomorrow.
Take this Fuuka Bazooka as help.

You shouldn't be reading this post user.
Only 465 minutes remaining!
youtube.com/watch?v=4PpYIueofFg

Run. bitch. Run
Stop thinking about it.

I forgot how much I hate drawing hands.

Then you'll love this.

Gave me a hearty chuckle.

Good luck!

good night bump

youtube.com/watch?v=3vemt_EKqfo

Embrace the pain, and shoot out in full bloom
Escape the cities that stand still in gloom,
Throw out the thoughts that make you hesitate
Cause there’s no going back; no time to wait,
Raise up your voice, and shout the charging roar
We say, wow wow wow wow

Database, database
Just living in the database, wow wow
The wall of pure fiction’s cracking in my head
And the addiction of my world still spreads

In the database, database I’m struggling in the database, wow wow
It doesn’t even matter if there is no hope
As the madness of the system grows

Good night bumps!

>How do you create flowcharts like this?
If it's just for planning stuff out, use a tool like yEd or Visual Paradigm for UML (Community Edition).

I think I can understand why some people are confused about what genres are.
Since if you visit streaming sites, particularly ones for anime, the "genre" lists should really be called a tag list. A toss up of genres, settings, characters, target audience, and themes, and who knows what else

Steam has a tag list. But I wonder how many people know that "co-op" is a player mode. "First-Person" is a camera angle. "indie" is a kind of developer. "Anime" is an artstyle. "Japanese" is the language.
I mean, it sounds really obvious when I say it like that. But then you get things like "Fantasy" which is literary genre, but you know there are people who think it's a setting. And "Adventure" is both the name of a literary genre and a vg genre.

FUCKING FINISHED

My game is grindy and hard as all fuck (I balanced it that way because if I ever decide to actually use this as a basis for a game features that I add to it will probably make the difficulty more lenient) and it takes about 20 minutes to beat.

It's a piece of shit but god damn if this doesn't feel good.

let us play it :(

where should i upload to?

Just mediafire should be fine. If not that, then dropbox or google drives work just as well.

mediafire.com/file/6d0qk6yc8ew9g58/Game.exe

Few hints:
>Couldn't get Yanfly's repel to work for some reason, so those items won't do anything for you, but you can sell them for some good dosh
>Same with the ether you find in your house, it's not real effective, so you're better off selling it
>You learn a neat AOE attack at level 2, so run from or smoke bomb 2x slime troops until then
>You can sleep on the bed in your room to restore your health for free
>The key is in a hidden passage to the right and a little bit north of the entrance to the dungeon. You can sneak through the wall there and the door in the town in unlocks has an accessory that doubles your gold drop

idk what I'm looking at but it's pretty

Fate/Empire of Dirt, a fangame.

It is an eroge.

twitter.com/maple_LuwenWS/media
Here is all the info.

So you can bond with people during the story and that leads to the obvious.

>Nothing but old hags and a gayboi
Dropped

I'm in it for Punished Saber.

Every character that can be 'captured' is here, this means the other NPC's might get in as a threesome or something. Take your pick.

I know how slow this place can get. I don't mind waiting few days.
I used draw(dot)io. It is a online tool and it is pretty basic, but it is good enough for stuff like this. There are better alternatives though, as other anons already sugested.

Zacharias is a guy that borrows people money / stuff, but you will have to pay him back in time or you are in trouble. That is why he doesn't really care if you ask him for help since he WILL get that shit back one way or another.
He is a bro as long as you don't decide to run without paying your debt.

Kobols are indeed pathetic and everybody hates them. They reward you with raw resourcess instead of money, so the rewards you get from them are "technicaly" better if you actualy end up geting the resources you need. They don't use regular money so they can't really pay for those furs and nobody wants to trade with them anyway.

>players will never experience 70% of those different outcomes
This game is sort of a hybrid of princess maker, harvest moon, gothic, runescape and god knows what else. You raise your stats, do quests, learn skills, upgrade your home, raise relationship with NPCs and all that typical stuff. You get a ending depending on your stats and choices and then you can play the game from begining again and try doing things differently.

Probably the biggest "feature" is something I like to call "three solutions" policy. I want 90% of all situations to have at least three solutions. For example, you find a locked chest. You can pick the lock, break the lock or just find the correct key. Quests will have different outcomes, like you can see in that flowchart.

The game will be pretty short. One playthrough should take 5 hours max, but the replayability should be really high. I am really focusing on stupid details like permanent scars, NPCs reacting to the clothes you wear and so on.

bump

My Vista laptop gets an instant crash whenever I start it. I'll check it from my PC after work and give you my HARSH REVIEW.

>y'all
>Twine
fuck off hipster scum. Either word alone would be tolerable, but using both I can tell you're a hair-dyed, thick-rimmed degenerate.

>Stop using meaningless adjectives like "VN-style"
but that person you're talking to didn't use that term. You're language-bullying somebody who only used "RPG" and didn't merge genres, and never claimed to be a game developer. I think you delight in pissing off people by making huge, leaping assumptions.

MS Paint? It's literally shape tools, line tool & plain text.

Windows 10, game doesn't start at all, not even with administrator rights.

He said "VN-styled stat increases" in his original post () though.

Twine's a good tool for charts like that. I'm bald and underweight.
You seem to have some issues, wanna talk about it, user-kun?

Another user here, can't start it with Win 7 either.

>mfw I can't just upload executable but all this other bullshit too

I'm a dumbass for not realizing that, but to my credit I was tired as shit. Hold on a sec guys I'll see about getting a new one up

Don't worry, MV has a weird fucking way of exporting games. And executables not working isn't a new thing.

Try this neat little .zip

mediafire.com/file/44doi3ifxscam58/Project 3.zip

bump

Finished it. Well... I think. There doesn't seem to be a way to get out of the minotaur's room once you've entered it, even if you beat him and get the horn. He's still there, ready to kill you at a moment's notice.

I dunno if you want advice, but I'll give it anyway.
I like the way you write, but I feel like the one text box of dialogue that is in the game should have been broken up into multiple ones. The text gives off the impression of being squished.
The interiors should be way smaller. So much wasted space, expecially in the two available shops. On the other hand, I feel like you could've added a few more rooms to the dungeon, maybe on another floor or something.
The slimes' ice attack and the minotaur's barrage are fucking annoying.

But, you know, good on you for actually finishing a game in 8 hours.
I should try that myself, see if I can get off my ass long enough to actually finish something...

>But, you know, good on you for actually finishing a game in 8 hours
It's pretty much just following through with MV's 19 step tutorial.