Any Canadians here (particularly in ontario) work as restaurant servers?

Any Canadians here (particularly in ontario) work as restaurant servers?

Got some questions as a NEET

I'm a chef based in Greater Hamilton region.
lets talk!

Whereabouts in "Greater Hamilton"?

live in hamilton, (born/raised)
work in Grimsby @ hotel I sweel cheese @ farmers markets from T.O-Niagara in the summer..
What about you?

yeah, have pretty much done everything Front House at high end places. What's the question?

Is it worth it? Do you need smartserve or is that shit a meme you can lie about? How do you progress to the high end places?

>sweel cheese
huh?
i live in hamilton ON too and i've never heard of this.

Many places will hire you with the expectation of you doing it- only if they're shortstaffed.

I got away without doing mine for a while because I had it all from a different process.

Also if you have zero experience, many times they'll start you as an S.A or barback where you don't need it. Get that experience, get the SS and then go waiter

True but can you lie about having it altogether?

I've seen many places hiring with no exp but they require it. you think they'll check?

Highly doubt it. I've never been a manager so I can't say if they do for sure, but I doubt it.

The trouble lays in the government check ups. They'll literally come into the restaurant and ask for Server ID's. It's a pretty shitty fine for you and the restaurant.

Lol honestly though, it took me less than 30 minutes 29 of which I did nothing. Just watched TV clicking 'next' on each page. Then took the test, which is all incredibly common sense answers. Liability is really the only thing that civvies don't know about serving alcohol

Yeah but they now require you to show them ID and you need a webcam and to install a program to monitor your computer while you take the test ... it's fucked now. Really don't wanna do that. Id take it otherwise.

Can I just skip it and use common sense or ask others if an issue arises?

bump, pls reply

Don't do it.

Bump please

Want to talk to this guy. Because my experience was horrendous.

sorry typo,

i sell cheese, ( summer gig, starts in May) I have two trailers that go to markets events, i sell a ton of cheese curds, cheddars, local artisan and international ones too..and cheesecakes... and on and on...lol

what the hell happened?

That's cool man. I worked in a kitchen for like half a year and it was some sort of the worst work I've done though, always heated and rushed and pretty much no room for advancement.

ya no problem, there are too many low end jobs in the industry, and the only way to get a hold on advancing yourself, is to find out what you are good at in the industry and do that, don't be somthing your not. I mean everyone wants to own the restaurant untill they find out they never really leave it, and the work is always there.
find out what your good at,
do it, get better!
( kill that inner dialogue in your head that says your not good enough)
and evolve in the industry that you now control,, ie, you own your niche.. but realise that resturants and food trucks fail more than suceed, why because it is a business, you own something even a cheese trailer, and everyone wants a freebee or discount, its still a business, yes people need to eat, but i wish they taught time and business management classes more in trade schools..

i pity the 15-20 the old they are being marketed into a system that no longer exists by teachers and parents who love the changes the technology gives them, without realicng that they will leave thier kids into debt and no way to repay it, and a lifestyle in the heads that they will only ever remain inside thier dreams...

sorry i;m trying to fix some old computers and drinking Chilean Malbec & triple cream brie.. really brings out a rant!
yes it will suck,your out working whilst everyone is partying, but in the end, find somthing you are good at in the field and hone that skill, then you can market yourself and go into it on your terms.. btw where did you work>

I worked at the keg for those few months. I did not enjoy it, not sue if it was just the way the location was managed but I didn't have a great time.

ahh yes corporate shills, and the do as i say crowd, but not telling the person why its done that way... or at least that wat @ the Keg..
chin up!

I dunno man, kind of turned me off from the whole thing. Granted it was just a part-time job and I haven't tried any other restaurant or front of house...

Pretty sure you can lie. But if they check you're fucked.