/acg/ - Armored Core General - Nobody is around at noon Edition

Last thread: For all newcomers, Armored Core and all JP mecha discussion here. You are welcome to shill western stuff with JP influence.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED LISTEN TO OUR THEME SONG!!!
instaud.io/jzI

AC pastebin:
pastebin.com/z1bJS9gF
Read that if you have any questions. If the pastebin doesn't answer whatever question you may have feel free to ask us in the thread.

/acg/'s partially complete recommendation pastebin:
pastebin.com/Wjv8sukr

Steam:
steamcommunity.com/groups/armoredcorevg

/acg/ PLAYS

SCRIMMS
>I come from a land down under

SUNDAY NIGHT FOR ANSWER
>Where beer does flow and men chunder

SATURDAY AFTERNOON VERDICT DAY
>Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder

Official Strategy guide PDFs for 2, 3, and Nexus :
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_2_Another_Age_Prima_Official_eGuide/1833
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_3_Prima_Official_eGuide/1635
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_Nexus_Prima_Official_eGuide/2226

AC related cover music: ripped from niconico by risto
mega.nz/#!j1l03AjA!beyftPD1gLIsymJC2gdmHpUecO4JHGbg6KdFQNS7htI

Understanding Last Raven technical stuff.
pastebin.com/RfbVYwwr

AC Webm and Music collection download.
dropbox.com/s/eh12d8bhn4o5t3p/AC Webm.rar?dl=0#
dropbox.com/s/e43xmgrl76l9bpo/AC Music.rar?dl=0

sorry, classes.

bump

Sorry been busy today.

Buddy of mine is in Houston and found an arcade that not only has Virtual On, but they're having a tournament in an hour and a half.
I've told him some of the basic movement commands I can remember and I told him pick Raiden because Raiden a best, but what else does he need to know?

bump-

bump

Live

How can I jam these controls onto M+KB and gamepads?

Fire Primary Weapon
Fire Secondary Weapon
Boost/Dash (think Quick Boost)
Fly Up
Fly Down (should mechs hover or just be pulled down by gravity constantly?)
Sprint (redundant?)
Swap Weapon
Reload
Toggle Flight Mode (think Macross, completely separate control mode where you essentially control like a plane)
Block/Use Flares
Jump (redundant?)

The problem is that accessible buttons and keys are at a minimum. On M+KB WASD forms your movement, but you really only have spacebar, shift, and maybe ctrl to play around with. And when moving with 6 degrees of freedom requires constant use of some sort of vertical movement (Q and E isn't really intuitive, in my opinion). Quick boosting is a lateral/horizontal movement that also needs to be used frequently.

Additionally, on a gamepad, you lose out on mouse control which means the natural left and right click to fire the Primary and Secondary (left and right) weapons now has to be mapped elsewhere. RT and LT seem intuitive but then you're faced with the problem of having a comfortable vertical control modifier. The A button would work for a "thrust up" button but then you need a dedicated button for boosting/dashing laterally.

I got it under control from here.

Bump.

I love the smell of a rotting thread on the morning.

Are legs the only thing that determine turning speed in the PSX games?

Yeah, pretty sure.

Bump

>WASD
Have you heard the good news of RAGE? Gives you access to more keys and makes your fingers and hand less cramped than WASD.
If you're going to do the 6 DOF thing, have it hover, don't apply gravity. From what I remember, Descent did the hover and when you think about having to constantly use the ascend button, even when you're not going anywhere, it just seems like it'd be really annoying.
Actually, have you played Descent? You should probably give that a go for ideas.
Update: despite never having been anywhere near a Virtual On cabinet in roughly twelve years, through the power of advice and my baby Raiden, he made it to the quarterfinals where he was eliminated by the guy who would go on to take first.
Raiden a best.

>Raiden a best.

never understimate a tank.

Playing through Nexus as my first AC game. Is Linebreaker worth playing or should I just skip to Last Raven after Nexus?

NineBreaker is only good if you have friends to play with. The multiplayer balance is fantastic, but single player is literally just an arena and training missions.

>Ninebreaker
I'm retarded. Anyways thanks man I'll probably just skip it then.

You fuking wot m8.

I recommend playing through AC3 and Silent Line before taking on Last Raven due to the difficulty of the game.

Unless you're hardcore like Ranker and play that as your first AC game.

If Nexus is your first AC game then you might want to do Ninebreaker for more parts/more experience piloting ACs to make Last Raven easier.

Dont be like me, you dont want a second anus

Definitely not.

What is objectively the best AC game and why is it 4A?

thats a weird abbreviation for VD

thats a weird abbreviation for literal garbage lmao kiddo

at least VD gets more than 3 fps

I've never heard of RAGE, actually. I'll look into it but I feel like it'd be hard to break players of the WASD habit. I also don't find it too cramped myself and I consider myself to have pretty large hands.

I might have both hover and gravity/jetpack-like functionality and have it based off weight. Heavier mechs wont be able to get that high up in the air, but can use heavier weapons that are good at engaging air targets.

yo same user playing through nexus as his first AC here. Can you niggas give me some general tips? Like things I'll always want to buy first or just completely avoid?

I actually can't find anything on RAGE. Got a link? My googlefu is weak and I keep coming up with rage the noun and videos of people flipping out, nothing about an alternative control scheme.

Avoid rockets and play however you want. That's the fun of the game, making builds.

No, it was something I read on /v/ once. R is forward, E is reverse, A and G are left and right.
It's super comfortable and gives you more access to your keyboard. It's also very fitting considering where it came from. Or at least once upon a time it was fitting.
And yeah, it's definitely awkward at first, but I have a hard time going back now.
Non-weapon parts can be tuned. Press square while you have one selected in assembly. Just be aware that it costs money.
Heat is a big deal in Nexus, you live and die by that heat gauge. Thus, tune all your stuff for cooling unless you ABSOLUTELY need a few points of max weight capacity on your legs or arm weight capacity on your core.
Protip: you almost never need a few points of max weight capacity on your legs or arm weight capacity on your core.
Tuning is "permanent." If you want to retune a part, you have to sell it then buy it again.
When choosing weapons, pay special attention to the lock type stat. That helps shape your lockbox. Special means it's going to shrink your lockbox hard, but then again, there's some Left hand guns are a little awkward. There's a delay before they shoot, which kind of works in your favor, but I'll get to that in a second. However, funny thing, if you have a gun in your left hand then switch to missiles or rockets on your back, your lockbox isn't being constrained by your left and right hand weapons any more and thus gets bigger. ACs that use a primary weapon on the left hand and some kind of extra supporting weapon on the back are pretty convenient.
Don't fire as soon as you get red lock. You need to give the game about half a second to start correcting for the target's speed and direction once it turns red. The left hand firing delay plays into this really well, but you need to be mindful of that on your right hand.
>Avoid rockets
Virtual On's Raiden is a heavy biped.

With WASD I use my ring finger on A, my index finger on D, and then my middle finger alternates between A and S. How do you place your fingers on RAGE? Same thing except middle finger alternates between R and E? That's kind of a stretch, unless your pinky is supposed to be on A and your ring rests on E.

Yeah, leave your ring finger on E. There's going to be a big mental disconnect when trying to use to go backwards, so be ready for that.

So I'm playing around with this. It's slightly comfortable but I'm not sure what your go-to keys are for modifiers like shift and ctrl, tab, etc. normally would be. T and F would probably work well as Up and Down controls and spacebar for boosting. H could become your E/F (meaning the "Use" or "Interact") key, I suppose. And maybe Y to reload?

Do you remember anything else about how to use auxiliary keys? This is pretty interesting though. I have rebindable controls anyways but I might add this in as a preset. Thanks for the tip.

Shift is still easy to access, just move that pinky. You can also get Tab, Q, 1, and 2 with it.
I am cut out of ctrl, but the ring finger can hit S, W, 3, or even D when you're not moving backwards, R can hit F but I wouldn't bind anything important to F because forward movement is the most important, and index finger has easy access to T, Y, H, and B with an option for V.
And never forget the thumb. Space bar, anything from X to B, even N and M if you want to reach but that's uncomfortable, left alt, and most importantly, the Windows key.

I guess now is also a good time to mention that I have a couple of extra buttons on the side of my mouse that I use and that may make me biased since I can offload some of the usual keyboard commands to that.

Well I pitched it to some others and the main complaint was that your typical modifiers that a free pinky would press are no longer accesible by a free pinky because you're using that finger to move backwards.

WASD works because you can drive your four directions of movement with three fingers and then have two extra digits for modification or additional commands or locomotion. With RAGE you're using four fingers to drive movevment which can make it risky to cut yourself off from an entire direction to press another modifider.

I'd most likely write it off for an FPS but this is a TPS mech combat game so I think there's a possibility. In any case you've got me thinking about alternative control schemes. I might have a look at how disabled gamers adapt their control schemes especially in cases where they're missing a finger or two.

kill yourself

Aw you're gonna make me cry now

bump

which games do you guys play these days? last Armored Core i played through was For Answer. is 5 any good?

Anything that passes the time.
If you can get V for cheap, go for it, it has a pretty fun story mode. The order missions eventually get pretty cool, too, but it's a real slog getting to that point.
They raise a good point. I was thinking more along the lines of an FPS and I wasn't even thinking about how using certain functions would cut you out of certain movement options. My bad.
>not taosenai.png

>is 5 any good?
Meh, it's ok. Had some neat ideas but wasn't executed the best. If you can get it for really cheap and want to check it out you can, but don't expect much.

As for games, I've been playing a lot of fighting games lately locally with friends. Guilty Gear and KoF are favorites. Ive also been playing a lot of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

miyazaki
oh man i missed those. they used to be ubiquitous
that one isn't very good though
haven't been playing much these days, there's nothing really that good
recently played final fantasy vii again and it's easily one of the best games of all time - if you can ignore the nerds
anyways i'd say go for VD if you want into new gen, otherwise check out nexus and last raven.

>is 5 any good?
In its current state, not really. Servers for ACV got shut down years ago, and about 90% of the game went with them.

But Verdict Day is good, if you're looking for multiplayer gameplay. Balance is pretty fucked, but it's still rather enjoyable if you don't get super tryhard with it.

>which games do you guys play these days?
Been burning through a backlog of JRPGs, while counting down the days to Monster Hunter World. Maybe a bit of Titanfall 2, if I need something competitive, but the people I used to play it with went to Gundam, so I don't play it much anymore, because playing solo is lame.

does anyone here own a 360? i went to boot it up because i wanted to play some for answer, and it looks like my saves were deleted?

i don't remember doing that and I haven't touched the 360 in years. is it possible it was lost in some kinda dead memory? i have a 60GB HDD and two 256MB memory cards.

there's a slim chance it's on the cloud saves or it's on a possible third memory card.

this is a bummer, I had everything S ranked

Shouldn't just delete on its own. Either someone else has access or it's saved on another drive.

Bump.

I found the singleplayer portion of ACV to be pretty good. It also has the best character in any AC game, too.

Evangel begs to differ.

As far as I know, all operators in AC games are female, so I want to know, how would you guys feel if, in an Armored Core game, the operator was a male?

For me, it wouldn't change much. As long as I get the necessary info I don't think I have much of a preference as to who my operator is.

Well, we have Fatman, and since maggy leaves the team around the last third of the story, he is your only operator until the end.

>which games do you guys play these days?

grinding my way into disgaea 5 post game, slowly working on my backlog on 3ds (mostly FEF: Conquest and devil survivor 2 right now) and thinking on going back to Nier or Bloodborne for a change of the RPGs

He wasn't an operator but LR had Ed Weisz as an informant. I wouldn't be put off at all by a male operator but I feel by now a female one is pretty much tradition

bump

Man, the more grounded, realistic look of ACs in V was pretty cool, but the downside was how it made everything look so similar. I remember accidentally TKing once because an invading AC looked incredibly similar to one of a teammates, and for some reason the emblem indicator didn't show who was who in sniper mode. That was embarrassing.

>spend 2 hours of my sunday evening trying to find any ACVD INT action to no avail
>go back to replaying missions with blades only out of sheer boredom
It sure is hard to like this game at times. At least the singleplayer is mildly entertaining.
Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a JP copy.

JP is only worth it if you're going to get on during their active hours, and I can't remember what that window is.
Anyway, I'm going to be playing with someone in two or three hours, so if you're still around then, you can come hang with us. I'll drop a post in the thread when I boot up.

I sometimes wish we could get a war movie/short/whatever with ACs.

I'll admit the laser blades on V looked pretty cool, I liked how in concept art they has a chainsaw thing going on for no real reason

Anyone know if there's a translation for Armored Core V -The Fact- or Armored Core Verdict Day -The After-?

Sorry, already went out. Thanks for the offer, next time I'll post here in advance.

The differences between the 3 styles of AC games actually makes me really excited for 6, because it could be absolutely anything. There is no set pattern of progression as far as series style and mechanics.

I always told myself that they looked like chainsaw because in reality, the design is like a modern gas burner on a kitchen, with multiples little holes where the flame goes out, and when attacking, is like going full power for a moment with the "flame"

sadly there isnt, and I doubt we can a team to do it.

if they go for something new again, I cant wait for all the discussion that will devolve into shitposting about the new aesthethics and what makes a "AC looks like a AC"