I've never been into history but recently I've started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and I've been...

I've never been into history but recently I've started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and I've been enjoying it.

What are some other history podcasts like it?

Other urls found in this thread:

historyextra.com/podcasts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mike duncans revolutions podcast and history of rome podcast

>history of rome podcast
This is probably the best modern telling of the entire history of Rome available.

Its rough though the early episodes, but it gets much better.

Agreed. He takes some getting used to as he has a bit of a dry sense of humor about him, but you'll learn to love him

I've spent the entire life of Veeky Forums replying to these elder god tier bait threads, trying to dissuade people from this charlatan's podcasts.

The history of the crusades by some kiwi girl is really, really good.

Never seen her mentioned but I agree. She's really funny and tells the story well. She obviously loves this shit.

History of Rome and Hardcore History are classics.

History of Byzantium is good, too.

History on Fire is also good. He has a strong Italian accent that could be an issue for some people.

China History Podcast is not in any specific order which is an issue, but it's really good as well.

There are some other decent ones I can't remember, but these are my favorites.

BBC History magazine's one is usually pretty good.

historyextra.com/podcasts

BBC History in 100 objects is neat if you know nothing about history and want to learn about a variety of subjects.

These threads are bait, right? There's no way Danny boy is Veeky Forums approved.

Well what type of history are you into

I actually thought his dry sense of humor enhanced THoR, to be honest.

Why not? He seems pretty good.

> muh fan of history

Seriously though, dan carlin isn't a legit intellectual so autists will shit on him. But if you are aware of that (and dan himself goes to great lengths to make that clear), and take his conclusions with a grain of salt (which he also encourages you to do), it's a fantastic and wonderfully informative podcast.

OP here, I'm not sure myself.
I never thought I'd like history because I feel asleep in history classes back in school.
But ever since I've started listening to Hardcore History I've found myself enjoying it a lot more.

Right now I think I'm into everything because I know nothing about history and I'd like to know about everything.

Ancient Histories, History of Rome and Revolutions Podcasts

that arpeggio at the beginning of every episode gives me nostalgia. His episodes are also the perfect length

Have you seriously listened to the whole The History of Rome series? It's like a hundred hours long.

Yes? When you have an hour to get to work every day you have alot of podcasts to burn through

>Something gets popular
>It is now someone's mission in life to talk shit about it at any chance they get
I will never understand people like you. Carlin's podcasts aren't bad but here you are calling him a charlatan trying to dissuade anybody you can from listening. Do you even have any reasons beyond Herodotus is a historical playwright meme and being salty as fuck?

I listened to it when I worked as a "production assistant" at a Gelato company. Crushed it in like 3 weeks

That dry sense of humor seems like a natural development in a lot of people who study history. Seeing the same human brutality, idiocy, ingenuity, compassion and other qualities play out again and again and again while in the present day we think all our problems and achievements are something new

I mean, the actual history of Rome was almost 2000 years, 100 hours is a pretty efficient condensing.

>Carlin's podcasts aren't bad
Your base assumption is that the dude in question isn't bad, ergo this dude hating him is being irrational, ergo there must be some meme reason or he's just ASSBLASTED XDD;D.

When in fact, it's much more reasonable to reach the conclusion that this user does actually think Carlin's podcasts are very bad.

lmao justify your contrarian meme hate however you want still sounds retarded to me

China History Podcast is god-tier. The 8 part series on the Cultural Revolution is fantastic.

I really want to get into it, but my lack of background knowledge always gets in the way. I know very little Chinese geography, and my Western ears struggle to distinguish between different people, so I'm hearing a story I'm sure is as rich and deep as Rome's, but I struggle to keep the narrative in my head

Just keep listening. I struggled with the geography for a bith but it made me want to look up where these places are. As for the names, you get used to it. They aren't a million different people, probs around 8 at any one time for the cultural revolution, so it is manageable.

Just keep at it and you will get it, I promise you.

It's actually 72 hours long, and I've listened to it three times now, working on the fourth. I just listen while I'm driving, usually.

Can any of you art guys help me out? I have to write something on a baroque painting that reflected the political and economic zeitgeist of that time. any help?

Yes. And I'm going through Revolutions again since he's slowed down his production schedule.

I'm not even the guy who said he hated it, literally never even heard of the podcast in question until now and have no opinion on it.

It just seemed like you accused the guy of being contrarian simply because he disliked something popular. And in this "argument" you used the base assumption that the podcast isn't bad, which is the exact thing I would expect the guy to disagree with. You conclude he must be doing it for some meme or just because he's le salty :DD, when all the evidence I see points to the fact that he just really dislikes it and feels that others don't understand what he does about the podcast.

And then even though he didn't go into any detail at all about what his specific problems with the podcast are, you still found that his reasoning "sounds retarded". It's amazing how you can form opinions on things you don't even have any knowledge of.

Bump

Yeah. Long drives, mostly.

When Diplomacy Fails
>not actually about the wars as much as the diplomacy that surrounds and precedes war
British History Podcast
>Podcaster is annoying but he really go into alot of little details you won't see in most placestates
History of Rome/Byzantium/ Revolutions
>All real good classics
History of the Great War
>Solid World War 1 podcast
The Lesser Bonapartes
> a funny show for autistic history nerds

Any good podcast on Greek history. Or just anything classical antiquity. Already done with history of Rome.