H

>H
>R
>E
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHH LOOK AT THIS GLORIOUS EMPIRE HAHAHAHAH GAYYYY XDDD

It amazes me how butthurt people get about the fact he mocked an "empire" that doesn't even exist anymore and didn't even come close to the legacy of the empire it was claiming to be a successor of.

>how butthurt people get
>how butthurt German Americans get
FTFY

This meme is annoying. It's almost impossible to discuss HRE on Veeky Forums.

I fucking hate this meme so much, people treat it as the end all for all discussion of the HRE at any point in history.

>glorious empire

I'm an American of German decent and I didn't even know what the HRE was until I came here. I got through high school and college without it being mentioned once. That puts it one step below Zoroastrianism in the list of "historically important things that no one today knows about".

I really don't think it's an ethnic thing. I think it's along the lines of the same crowd that would gush about the Norse (until Vikings the TV show came along and made it mainstream) or Deus Vult memers. You know the sort of crowd that's just a bit too into Warhammer.

HOLY

I want more.....

>t.lit

Is there anything that
>
>
>
did right?

I don't get it though. I understand Byzaboos, but what's so awesome about the HRE besides its size?

being an agent of peace in west-central europe for more than half a century
and then it devolved into the
>
>
>

>glorious empire
Barely an empire

it expanded beyond the scope of its core germanic region and dominated european politics during its height, I don't know why people think it wasn't an empire at any point.
I bet you get all of your historical information from bad austria playthroughs in EU though, so you are par for the course.

It's German. Naziboos are the ones who like it.

>It
>Implying centralization

Literally the first word of your refutation is incorrect.

The French got paid back centuries later

>Petain never had a job, had no children, and betrayed his country.

Petain was a soldier. That's a job.

>h>r>eboos actually think that unJUSTs them

>G*rman scum is THIS triggered by based frogman

I don't even bother making threads about it, it just attracts the underage reddit kiddies who want to spout memes

>HEILIG
>ROEAMS
>RIEK

It was neither holy nor roman nor an empire.

DELET THIS
BYZANTIUM IS TRUE ROME

>Naziboos are the only who like a monarchist, pre-industrial, ancien regime, pre-ideological, Christian fiefdom

Yeah nah mate, that ain't the case - unless you mean the Nazi types who're - like said - too into Warhammer (I fucking hate those 40K faggots)

Memes aside, what states\citites of HRE were the most powerful\influential?

I know jack shit about HRE subjects.

There're obvious Austria and Brandenburg\Prussia, afair Bavaria, Saxony... and that's about all of them who I can remember without looking at the map.

Oh and that Mecklenburg meme coined by Bismarck.

So... were Saxony and Bavaria powerful? Any other notable HRE states?

It depends on the period, but generally countries belonging to prince-electors were the most powerful. Before that archbishops of Cologne, Trier and Magdeburg, princes of Saxony, Frankonia (Salian dynasty), Swabia (Hohenstaufen dynasty) and Bavaria (Welfs).

Anything important to remember about them?

Any one of you motherfuckers shits on the Rome again I'm gonna kick you in the ribs.

that hungarian crown triggers my autism

Lol there was no real central authority that could exert true influence over its constituents.

>In a decree following the 1512 Diet of Cologne, the name was changed to Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation (German: Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation, Latin: Imperium Romanum Sacrum Nationis Germanicæ),[24][25]
>of the German Nation
Why is everyone flipping out about them again?

>On 25 December 800, Pope Leo III crowned the Frankish king Charlemagne as Emperor, reviving the title in Western Europe after more than three centuries. The title continued in the Carolingian family until 888 and from 896 to 899, after which it was contested by the rulers of Italy in a series of civil wars until the death of the last Italian claimant, Berengar, in 924. The title was revived in 962 when Otto I was crowned emperor, fashioning himself as the successor of Charlemagne[11] and beginning a continuous existence of the empire for over eight centuries.[12][13][14]
Byzantines BTFO, HRE confirmed real Rome.

It's nice but it's no Rome

It's German, it had landsnkeckts in it, it owes its heritage to Charlemagne, it had Frederick Barbarossa. It has some cool shit going on. It's also the basis for the empire in Warhammer, which I'm sure has created some HREaboos.

>quintessential middle ages Europe
>knights, princes, and an emperor
>somewhat multiethnic, included Slavs and Latins amongst Germanics
>called the heir of the Roman empire
>the dark ages Frankish kingdom it came out of was pretty cool
>survived until 19th century (outliving Byzantium)
Also muh waifu

>HRE
>Going back to Charlemagne

The person who was crowned "Emperor of Romans" was Otto, that's where HRE starts. Before it, it was Eastern Francia.

Translatio imperii, motherfucker

Charlemagne too was crowned an emperor of romans. And by pope no less.

It's just that he didn't bother to actually call his kingdom an "empire".

Kinda like Queen Victoria was a "Queen" of England and an "Empress" of India, but not an "Empress of England", Charlemagne was a King of the Franks and an Emperor of the Romans, but not an "Emperor of the Franks"

Don't forget the Hansa

LOOK AT MY HABSBURG EMPIRE

>It's just that he didn't bother to actually call his kingdom an "empire".
They did actually.

In fact it was just known as THE Empire. It just happened to contain the Frankish kingdom, and other kingdoms and principalities along with it.

They were all pretty important. Read somewhere about the early years of HRE. I know it's treated as a dumb meme here, but it was the most powerful European country for at least 2-3 centuries.

Voltaire was a little bitchboi for real though