/hg/ - Halo General

#374 - Anime edition

Welcome to Halo General. Here we discuss the Halo games, expanded universe, and fan projects. Discussion of general Xbox developments, news, and games is also allowed unless stated otherwise.

>Halo 5: Guardians has received a major weapons tuning update that radically changes up the gameplay. This update has gone into effect in all arena playlists, warzone playlists, and even custom games.
For a full list of changes, see the link here: halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/weapon-tuning-update

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/thanks-beats-everything

>Important Halo Links and Notes
pastebin.com/TEdXes5c

>Halo 5 Spartan Company
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/
xboxclips.com/

>SPV3, the Halo CE fan remix project, can be downloaded for free
youtube.com/watch?v=VOMzNMe8qHE

>>>Halo News

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq
imgur.com/a/OOF1r
imgur.com/a/6FqzO
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c
youtube.com/watch?v=KH0A928SC34
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is /hg/ getting for Christmas?

Bungie did nothing wrong.

>Art Books:
Art of Halo
imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq
Art of Halo 3
imgur.com/a/OOF1r
Art of Halo 5
imgur.com/a/6FqzO
>Art Compilation from CE to 4:
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk

>Novels/Comics:
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E

>Warfleet:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c

I'm pretty sure we updated the pastebin with these

Oh.

It's alright. Still a better Post than most of the shit in here

>ywn be important enough in /hg/ to be featured in OC

Anime?

Play with us
Talk on mic

>tfw I do

It's okay. At least you'll never be important enough to be featured, but get included in a way that you're unrecognizable.

I just miss Halo 3 custom games with my friends

Halo Reach was an amazing game in it's own right, but somehow the shitty charm of Halo 3 was irreplaceable.

feels bad man, I just want to play some fat kid and elephant wars

>I just miss Halo 3 custom games with my friends
Pure nostalgia. If you want to play crazy customs, just play Halo 5. It's better for them. If you want to play regular Halo 3, join an MCC night or organize a Halo 3 playsession.
But I'm telling you, jenga, fat kid, and all that makeshift stuff was in-the-moment material. All you're really missing is the memory of the fun.

What are some good ways to improve your aim?

Set sensitivity to 1.
Don't aim for the head until shields break.

Do this. Then never change it out of stubbornness.

I feel like you can get more dynamic gameplay out of the movement mechanics in halo 5. Definitely was the case in Reach and furthermore Halo 4.

But would CS Surfing be as notable if mechanics were introduced to allow for surfing?

I think a big chunk of the fun of certain maps and games was working around the limitations of mechanics in creative ways.

We had a sandbox point control map where you had to get into the sky using grav lifts and blocks that had physics enabled. Really clunky, and sometimes you'd even be splattered by the lifts, but dammit if it wasn't exhilerating trying to fly around via gravity lifts and jump between platforms to win a match.

I wonder if I still have that on my old xbox

>If you want to play crazy customs, just play Halo 5. It's better for them.

What if you only play SWAT?

Halo 5 is my least favorite Halo game. It has in my opinion the worst campaign, story, multiplayer, and art direction in the series. But any of the not-Halo fun modes you enjoy from Halo 3 it does better. So if that's all you miss, then just play Halo 5. It has legit custom server browsers that make it easy for stuff like that

>my company is only 92 lucky kills away from the achillus chestpiece

>ywn dive bomb a banshee onto a flying elephant in an insane version of CTF on sandtrap

>But any of the not-Halo fun modes you enjoy from Halo 3 it does better.
Not really. At that point, when you try to say "well if we just exclude literally everything that Halo 3 could do" then we're onto Littlebig Planet 2 territory where everything that's made is just gimmick shit with switches. The only thing 5 does better is puzzle map
>It has legit custom server browsers that make it easy for stuff like that
I'm not the guy gushing over wanting to play 3 again, but I am one of the people with the most experience in regards to the customs browser on both xbone and pc. The customs browser is awful. You only ever find slayer, raid training, and infection.

Anyone running Halo 3 customs or what?

Halo 5's customs can do everything 3's could and more

We've been over this and that's a lie. You can't do asymmetrical teambased gametypes in 5.
If you could, they would be in matchmaking in Big Team or a playlist like that. There's no oneflag on Zanzibar/Last Resort. There's no assault on Highground. There's no Invasion.

>this picture
>only like 2 armor sets that are easily memorable after all this time
>he doesn't have a recognisable Spartan
Plebs

Halo 5's velocity based camo and increased shotgun range makes ghostbusters unfun. 5 has its own play customs, but many recreations of 3's are inferior to the originals.

But, user I was accepting armor and color combos for weeks

It's Friday night motherfuckers.

Are we having a game night tonight?

Name them.

Rabbit and Tangabee are both memorable, the rest are meh.

I know 343s art design looks like shit but I'm surprised so many people don't have a setup. I always find a setup that I'm comfy with and stick with it. Feels good

>Tangee
Okay now you're just making shit up.

Depends if a prominent user puts themselves forward, lobbies seem to struggle otherwise. Who will be the big guy this friday night?
Not really he has had the same setup for a long time and its even in the video that the OP image is from

Any good Halo wars 2 guides, especially for blitz?

>tfw too shy to join game nights

I'll host an MCC lobby on Saturday at 7 central

>TFW Halo 5 will never be as fun as Halo 2 because of its shitty redundant glorified and complicated sandbox

you can do asymmetrical gametypes, but it involves heavy scripting.

I'm a relative newfag, only been here a couple months

Will Red get jelly that someone else is hosting MCC?

Not if he doesn't know...

Wht would he? Hes stated since the beginning that his endgame was to get events and gamenights naturally happening on thwir own without his direct involvement. If anything, he'd be pleased.

>tfw no Halo 5: Master Chief & Friends Superstars Adventures in Dreamland

Hey /xbros/, anyone else playing Sea of Thieves this weekend? They're planning some major changes to the alpha in the near future so I'm pretty sure this is one of the last sessions
I'm pretty excited myself, seems like they're finally getting comfortable with the server strength and QoL and such. We'll probably get to see some actual content soon.

If this existed, would it have KROGAN COCK in it?

I found some fanart of mine I forgot to post!

Nah. Halo games are rated T FOR TEENAGER now

I hate Halo 5 Forge objects. They all look dull and plastic. I get it was probably done to increase the amount of shit you could put in Forge but my god does it look bad. It's like the Forge maps where the ground is supposed to be road but it's too pristine to look like tarmac. It's just plastic with white lines.

Even Reach was less bland than this.

>Any good Halo wars 2 guides, especially for blitz?
Check out "breaking the clutch" on YouTube. Blitz however is a complete shit show unless you're playing in a standardized playlist. Anywhere else and the levels are just too high.

What is an asymmetrical gametype anyway?

>Anyone running Halo 3 customs or what?
Maybe later.

Please do. I haven't had a good H3 custom session for 9 years

Teams aren't given the same powers and/or player count.

Wrong

It's modes like one bomb assault or 1 flag CTF where you have alternating attackers and defenders

good stuff

a gametype in which each team has a different goal:
slayer is symmetrical. both teams are trying to get kills. same goal
two-flag CTF is symmetrical. both teams are trying to capture the other teams flag whilst defending their own. - same goals

one-flag CTF is asymmetrical. one team is trying to capture the enemy flag, whilst the other team defends it. they take turns each round who is attacking and who is defending. - different goals

neutral-bomb Assault is symmetrical. both teams are trying to grab the bomb in the middle of the map and plant it in the other teams base. (it may feel like it's asymmetrical at times, because when the enemy controls the bomb, you're then defending. however in an asymmetrical gametype, the defending team scores by successfully defending, not by attacking.)

asymmetrical gametypes often have more depth to them imo.

What I was taking about is this There's no option to make only red team have a flag and blue team capture it to win while red just has to run out the time to win. If you make that in 5, then it just ends as a tie if nobody captures so you need to do some Halo 2 honor rules stuff. But even Halo 2 had one-flag.

>tfw notable enough to be memorable and recognizable by voice
>tfw not notable enough to become a meme
A happy medium desu

Wow, I had no idea single flag was impossible to do in custom games. How could they ignore such a great gamemode?

Because it's not a symmetrical two-team game mode on a small map.
Like, I'm memeing a bit, but it's true. The "pros" wanted symmetrical gametypes.

I haven't played in two weeks. Did they ever fix the broken REQ pictures for the new weapons?

1 flag on zanzibar is one of the most memorable experiences that halo multiplayer has ever had to offer, just surprised they neglect this while managing to throw in shit like battle golf

There's no option but it's 100% do-able with scripting.

Then why isn't it in matchmaking?

because it'd take a helluva lot of scripting.
343i either: don't want to put in the effort. don't know it can be done via scripting. don't care. don't want asymmetrical gametypes in matchmaking.

Doesn't matter if 343 doesn't feel like making it. Every forge map in matchmaking is fanmade. 343 never lifted a finger.
If it were true that the gametypes could be done, they'd be in. But they're not.

Why would it be? There are plenty of modes from past Halo games not found in Halo 5 matchmaking... 343 loves to remove shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=KH0A928SC34

>tfw could be a meme if I talked more. And also revealed my vice of being a weed smoker
I'd be a dumb stoner meme but every general needs one!

No.

I should mention that the scripts work with forge objects, and not normal maps.
it'd only work on the forge maps that are permitted in matchmaking.
the same applies for custom games.

it can be done.
for spawns, cameras and flags etc, script them to despawn upon round 2 start and another set of them to spawn upon round 2 start. repeat for each round.
for scoring: script that if there isn't a score before X minute and X second (20th of a second before round end), team 2 gains a point. repeat and alternate for each round.

it's not easy, but it definitely can be done.

>it's not easy, but it definitely can be done.
Except it hasn't.

m-maybe in the next update, right guys?

>If you make that in 5, then it just ends as a tie if nobody captures so you need to do some Halo 2 honor rules stuff.
>There's no option but it's 100% do-able with scripting.
>Then why isn't it in matchmaking?
>If it were true that the gametypes could be done, they'd be in. But they're not.
>it can be done.
>Except it hasn't.
wat?

They should do to custom games options what they did to forge. In fact, I'd love it if they could produce like a game mode language, where you have to build the framework of even basic gametypes like slayer. There could be a physics tag which would allow us to change the physics a bit.

Clearly just jealous of my stoner ways. I get to have double the fun playing Halo than you do!

If it were doable like you claim, it would be done already.
But not once has anyone even recommended these nonexistent modes for Halofest. Prove that it can be done or just shut up.

Anyone hosting tonight?

Forge's scripting system is scientific, for us to prove that a certain mechanism of scripting is doable is like making a mathematical / scientific proof. Both the demonstrator and the audience must have a well-rounded knowledge on the subject.

How the fuck do we get in to the alpha? I don't even know anyone who is in it. Not great for word of mouth and the game could easily be forgotten. Hopefully we get some big updates on it soon

Halo was on its way to achieving that. Reach showed that you can have really crazy things as custom game options. 4 removed tons of options and 5 still hasn't caught up to Reach's level.

I maintain that the latest Halo games should be absolutely fucking nuts by now. piloting Pelicans that you can have spartans drop out of onto the battlefield whilst you lower a warthog on the ground, should've been something that we did in Halo 4, not 6+.

>Prove that it can be done
I just did... and don't claim some shit like "hurr spend 20 hours making it to prove it faggot".
it's not my fault you don't know what the scripts can do.

>I just did...
No, you wrote a theory. You did not put the theory into practice.
You're stating a theory as fact and it's a theory that apparently NOBODY has acted on in two years.

Unless someone like you care's a whole lot, it's not going to be made, it's not.

Forge scripting is deterministic. After all, it's a form of programming, which is math and logic. 1+5=6 is not a theory.

1+5=6 is not a theory because it was proven.
>Theory: a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation
This is all just conjecture.

I didn't say that it would be made?
simply using honour rules is far better than putting all of that time in.
you'd have to set it up for each individual map. it'd take weeks.

Yes but 1(which may be 0.8 or 0.9) + 5(which may be 4 or 6 on occasion) will not always work out to be 6. You have to remember that scripting is obliterated when netcode is introduced into the equation.

No it's not. There's no reason why all these elements of scripting somehow wouldn't work when combined.

Dude, stop talking shit or tell us what part of this post you don't understand.

chaos theory

Then it would have been made if that were true. Until it's proven that it all does work as you say, it's conjecture.

If we build a map based upon this specific scripting philosophy, then the map will operate as intended under said scripting philosophy. Conjecture becomes hypothesis.

Then do it. Saying that "if it works, then it's not conjecture" doesn't count as it actually working.
The big flaw with this idea working is that it would have been done already if it were feasible. Forgers would have scrambled to make it to get 343 to suck their dicks and get into the secret club of forgers they have.

Yes but this isn't particularly advanced scripting. Just swapping spawns and a simple round-based point timer

>creating scripts that would take tens and tens of hours when you could just play with honour rules, per map, would've been made already by somebody that chose to share it online and spread the file enough within a community that would have to care enough about said scripts and I'd have heard about it or played it via someone else's custom games or fileshare, which I've only ever done X amount of times and the party leader would have to have at least 7 other people with them and choose not only the CTF gametype, but the special CTF scripted map too
>if all of that criteria isn't met, it's impossible and can't be done
get fucked, you dumb cunt