/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Old visualisers edition
Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.XX), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.XX.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168426.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for so phoebus got a 0.44.02 release of the graphics pack, how the fuck do I install it.

Nice meme.

>it's a "meme" when one user keeps spamming the same line over and over
just hide and report in accordance to global rule 10

>i use phoebus tile set

First for shilling babby's first mod again

Mod with nine new peaceful (some domesticatable) cavern creatures and a revamp of cavern grasses to make the layers more visually distinguishable

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168426.0

Some migrants have arrived.

>I use vanilla, thats what all the bad bois use!!!

Some newfags have arrived, despite the shitposting

>no beards
>ObviousGoblinSpies.engraving

>I watch tutorials on y...y-youtube!

>I post unfunny shitty memes on Veeky Forums

Off to a great start, lads.

>DF
>I WANT TO PLAY AS A MANLET XD

Shilling my mod also. Fantastic Races is updated to 5.0+ with 4 new races and a major overhaul for the pre-existing Manat race, adding multiple new resources and creatures.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

what does dwarf therapist actually do and does it do anything automatically? like if i have it running and a wave of migrants shows up does therapist assign them jobs based on their skills or do i do that manually or is there an option to automate?

DFHack Autolabor plugin.

>I use hacks to get better at a game.

really makes you think.

I'm unsure manually setting labors for 350 dwarves is anything but tedious, but your opinion has been logged and will be submitted to the king when he isn't in the statue garden, which is never.

why is this thread dead?

how does one reach the age of heroes?

do you even play the game? whe the fuck does anyone have 350 dwarves
anyways imo using therapist is fine since its just a gui, but autolabor is stupid because youre letting an algorithm play the game for you

Keep killing megabeasts

Display cases/Pedestals are in game now, aren't they? I can't find them in the build menus for my workshops, nor in the build commands list for the manager.

After vanilla my favorite set was Obsidian but idk if that gets updated anymore

Because a new thread was made in the early AM western hemisphere time, so a number of potential posters are asleep.

Carpenters shop near the bottom

I am trying to raid every location I have access to, on a many civ map gen. You make your own fun. A split fortress in two complete and separate Underhalls, the warring class lavishly training for the day they prove themselves to the king, and gain entrance to the ruling caste by returning with artifacts pilfered from anybody I can steal them from.

why does it feel like this
kind of posts increased after the release?

tileset rivalry hasn't traditionally been a part of the DF community at all. it's a meme that started to develop a few years ago, and that newfags are spamming today.

No it's legit not in the lists, not for the carpenter, mason workshop, or anything.

I know I'm definitely on the right version. I have no idea why these aren't showing up. Is it because I'm playing an old fort save, maybe?

is there like a .zip of all 9dots art?

>There is writing on the slab, but you cannot read.

>Is it because I'm playing an old fort save, maybe?
That would be it.

The fanart thread at bay12 had a zip with everything sorted by artist at some point. Doesn't contain newer stuff though.

no, but I guess I can make one later today. I have been saving his stuff pretty regularily.

there is one zip folder some user uploaded a while ago, but it only contained a small fraction of his work

that one's no good for ninedots. most of his stuff has only been posted in /dfg/, and a lot of the stuff on his blog(s) has never been posted anywhere else.

>most of his stuff has only been posted in /dfg/
Most of his recent stuff you mean.

no, most of his stuff.

believe me, I keep his stuff in separate folders depending on where I found it. the /dfg/ folder dwarfs the acidyblog folder, and his stuff on bay12 is a just a fragment of the stuff on acidyblog.

So he started posting more once he went on /dfg/? Cool.

what happens if a i designate a weapon to a militia who has grown attached to another weapon?

>Yeaaah, I think it was probably doing virtual memory on the drive and over the USB or something -- which makes it seem like a miracle that it was able to build any of those objs. It's screaming now that I've doubled to 2GB and given it 2 cores (the max for whatever reason, something about virtual vs. physical -- no idea what my laptop does but it pretends to have 4), and the drive is A Lot quieter.

>Of course, it remains to be seen if this'll work! Signs are okay now.

Looks like linux build won't take all night after all.

Does it crash at all? I'll play your mod someday user, just give me time to play with regular .44 first.

It shouldn't crash anymore. There was a brief issue where one of the races was missing their entire body due to an organizational error but this has since been resolved.

same reason you get basic gameplay questions so much more

because the more casual parts of the audience, along with newcomers, come after an update

I need to stop making my smallest bedrooms 2x2 and just go for 1x3.

Why ive always gone 2x2, recently experimented with 3x3

How good are 2x3 rooms? They're complaining, but I don't want to make them too big.

I got an interesting world gen in the new version. Seems like a peacefull world, as there are no humans (at least arround my fort) and goblins reside in islands or far down south of the continent. Apparently there is a 250 years peace between urists and elfs, so from the ~160 dwarfs that migrated to Silveryfondled, only one had any kind of martial skill. Also the map arround me was littered by mountainhomes and forest retreats.

I immediately started killing some elfs, but the raids seldom kill any individuals and these peace-ridden elves don't seem to have any military, their caravans didn't even have guards.

Can I fix this world /dfg/?

whats wrong with 1x4?

I never go less than 3x3, but I make my larger rooms complicated

The stuff on the left side is all "luxury" housing, the stuff on the bottom right is basic housing, and the top right is a hospital with my only armorer who just got done transforming from a werelois and all the fucking blood everywhere is from some human monster slayers that he devoured

I vaguely recall some tileset that had a stylized "d" for dwarves (kind of had the double bar thing like the mug/cup character) but I don't remember the name. Would anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

LINUX BUILD IS UP
praise armok

BASED autist compiling at 2 am on a tuesday

Toady is the true messiah.

New update, just some bugfixes really but also the lore document now contains links to thematically appropriate music for each race and I think its neat.

wow literally nobody cares

dorfs only need a bed, container and cabinet
3 squares is efficient

Who cares about efficiency when you have z-levels

i hate z-levels and wish for 2D fort

>he does not care about efficiency in a FPS clogging sim as DF

You DO export finely-crafted goods with quality decoration at fair prices, don't you?

Are you one of those wooden ball fondlers?

I export only the finest gold inlay goblets and mugs

They need literally none of these.
It takes concentrated effort to make any DORF unhappy in any recent version of the game.

Bring back tantrum spirals and the economy while were at it.

Yeah but I must build.

I only wish that fruit-bearing trees were less common or productive. It's impossible to starve in a biome with trees these days.

Make DF Great Again.

>the economy
no thank you

Commie

bring back catsplosions

[LITTERSIZE:100:200]

Slap this in the female caste and thank me later.

The linux version is out.

>horrified after seeing an unknown creature die
Guess who has just been accused of vampirism by like ten children?

picture

Children are unreliable witnesses and are prone to let their imaginations run wild

He's a vampire! Catch it!

>The marksdwarf bashes the elf swordsman in the upper body with her ≡steel crossbow≡ and the injured part explodes into gore!

How hard do you have to hit a motherfucker that their rib cage just blows apart?

Sure thing, Dracula. Maybe the latest victim accidentally drained her own blood in a rowdy game of pretend.

I don't have anything against newfags in general. however, newfags trying to be elitist really tick me off.

>70 elven visitors
>they all have dwarven names
>they spend a year at my outpost
>they leave
>suddenly cave crocodile
>six casualties
>suddenly migrant wave
>41 dwarves show up
everything went better than expected

It's just /v/ crossboarders who will probably grow bored in a week or so of DF.

>they leave
how

My guests never, EVER left to the point my last two forts ended due to guest tantrum/brawl spirals and I turned guests off.

speaking of that, what do i need to change to put the little fuckers to work? i have a 3 year old who is a legendary bonecrafter and a 4 year old who is an accomplished dancer and i don't know if i can survive until they're old enough.

once they're bored they leave. that's how it works. coincidentally, all 70 of them arrived moments after my initial seven and decided they wanted to relax. who the fuck comes to an outpost that's been barely dug out to relax?

So I should make my inns as shitty as possible?
It makes sense then that my guests never left my fortress but holy fuck 100 guests for 30 dwarves is stupid when my fort is just a tiny hole in the ground.
I also did not expect brawls to happen because of all the good food, music and furniture.

[CHILD:12]

This token states how long a being's childhood is. For example, if you shrunk it down to 2, they would be recognized as adults by the game when they hit 2 years old, even if they weren't fully grown biologically. So I guess its like from a cultural standpoint.

Either way you can shorten it to put them to work faster.

Its a bug I think. Probably like 90% of them are spies.

It seems to me that old worlds are a bad idea. My migrants would commonly be legendary craftsmen bringing in artifacts of their own that probably made even more spies show up.

why dont i get any visitors?

meant for should be fixed soonish eventually maybe anyhow.

Are taverns essentially refined version of tantrum spirals?

Considering more often than not spies are mercenaries with weapons and armor and your dwarves are mostly civs: yes

Make your taverns for foreigners above a pit filled with spikes.

my tavern is two dirt rooms and 7 chests and it still took them a year. coincidentally, that's how long it took me to get around to making a tavern. was too busy yelling at the drunk midgets to put food in barrels and wondering why the manager has a bunch of clothes in his office when it's a 5x5 stone room with a wood chair and a wood table.
i'd say it's reasonable to put a 5 year old to work. at the very least let them haul shit or push a wheelbarrow. thanks.
it's okay i'm the same person.

Urist McCheeseDwarf, high master cheesemaker at your service. So, when do I start?

nice

Hah, didn't catch that besides just being able to randomly spout prophies while greeting folks you can also just hit the "prophesize" button.

Cheesemaker eh? How are you with an axe? That's not so different from making cheese right? The fisherdwarves and potash makers haven't quite been able to fill out the squad and they need a few recruits.

Now. *unzips dick*