Can the United States really be considered a melting pot or is it more akin to a salad bowl?

Can the United States really be considered a melting pot or is it more akin to a salad bowl?

Other urls found in this thread:

genealogy.com/articles/research/88_donna.html
cell.com/ajhg/abstract/S0002-9297(14)00476-5
sciencemag.org/news/2014/12/genetic-study-reveals-surprising-ancestry-many-americans
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Toilet bowl of diarrhea

/thread

My eight great grandparents were born in 6 different countries.

my grandparents from my fathers side were from England and France

grandparents from my mother's side were from Ireland and Italy

yeah I'd say it is.

It is a melting pot, but just full of oils and fat, so it really emulsified and layered.

Its a burger
>ground beef is the intermixed white cultures, the reason it is what it is
>cheese slice is the asians, make it better but some people disagree
>mustard/mayo/ is mexicans, add a bit of flavor, generally found in bottom area of burger
>blacks are the grease, came as a result of burger's time cooking, bring flavor but may kill you one day
>the bun is probably sports and mass media culture, since thats what gives any of the ingredients any semblance of cohesion or purpose besides themselves

Not really. Baby boomers thought because they had one polish grandfather, one Italian grandmother, and mixed generic white ancestry among the rest the trend would continue but every multicultural city is extremely segregated into ethno neighborhoods with interactions kept to an absolute minimum.

are Muslims and Jews supposed to be the garnish and vegetables respectively?

Muslims and Jews are the dead flys in the bun

African Americans haven't melted into the pot, probably because of the way they got here and subsequent racial shenanigans till at least late 20th century

or we could have a burger on a bagel bun

The United States is traditionally multiracial, but monocultural. "Hyphenated Americans" that take after their home country are looked at with great mistrust. In the past, you needed an American surname if wanted to even apply for a job.

>american surname
?

>African Americans haven't melted into the pot,

I know what you mean, but the average black American has 25% European ancestry. So there is a lot of "melting," but as a society we've decided to pretend otherwise.

No society is ever monocultural certainly not the USA

Like Sakagawea.

(jk, I'm sure he means Anglo)

The United States is not a melting pot. It just either segregates groups into enclaves which all hate each other or subordinates them into a shitty anglo-protestant culture. Failing that, it just fills the cultural holes with consumerist nonsense.

The real question is how you would pull off an actual melting pot where cultures influence and mix with one another, and what it would look like. Cause I live in California and the idea of a combined euro/afro/mexi/asian culture sounds aesthetic as fuck.

>The United States is not a melting pot. It just either segregates groups into enclaves which all hate each other or subordinates them into a shitty anglo-protestant culture. Failing that, it just fills the cultural holes with consumerist nonsense.
Excellent post

It is in the sense that there's one "Macro culture" that everyone is expected to adhere to. This culture values certain things like freedom of expression, religion, speech, right to keep arms etc. You're not a "true American" if you don't accept these values.
genealogy.com/articles/research/88_donna.html

>Hyphenated Americans" that take after their home country are looked at with great mistrust

wut

I've heard it was 7% European DNA. can I get a source for that?

>The United States is not a melting pot. It just either segregates groups into enclaves which all hate each other or subordinates them into a shitty anglo-protestant culture. Failing that, it just fills the cultural holes with consumerist nonsense.

You've just listed three options, two of which involve everybody mixing together. But even then, you're wrong. My ancestors come from all over the place, so no, we're not segregated. And American culture is not just English culture, it is influenced by all the waves of immigrants, and grown into its own thing.

But that takes TIME. Germans, Irish, etc in America were foreign, mostly separate cultures when they arrived. Generations later, they're just "Americans." America IS a melting pot, just not an *instant* melting pot.

>blacks are the grease, came as a result of burger's time cooking, bring flavor but may kill you one day

Grease here, thank you for making me laugh.

Daily reminder the "melting pot" is yet another jewish meme to weaken americas racial makeup

>The Melting Pot is a play by Israel Zangwill, first staged in 1908. It depicts the life of a Russian-Jewish immigrant family, the Quixanos. David Quixano has survived a pogrom, which killed his mother and sister, and he wishes to forget this horrible event. He composes an "American Symphony" and wants to look forward to a society free of ethnic divisions and hatred, rather than backward at his traumatic past.

Where the fuck did you hear that? There are way too many "black" (really biracial or multiracial) and light skinned black Americans to be 7% white.

cell.com/ajhg/abstract/S0002-9297(14)00476-5

sciencemag.org/news/2014/12/genetic-study-reveals-surprising-ancestry-many-americans

>The average African-American genome, for example, is 73.2% African, 24% European, and 0.8% Native American

There are tons of different studies of course, ranging from as little as 12% to as much as 30%, but somewhere between 20% and 25% is the median.

>the idea of a combined euro/afro/mexi/asian culture sounds aesthetic as fuck.

As long as this hypothetical culture remains culturally "American", I sure as hell wouldn't mind. Imagine the food possibilities user...

>Mexican-Jamaican food around the corner, French-Japanese food down the block, etc

if you didn't want people to doubt purity maybe you shouldn't have tried to pogrom them

The Germans were stealthy in their assimilation. Sure they changed their names from Schmidt to Smith, but they never stopped being the eternal Germanic. Now the largest ethnic group in America is German American.

That's actually kinda cool.

>you
>you
>you

Russia had a pogrom and now we need to blame America for it? This is jewish paranoia in a nutshell and probably explains why they shill so hard in the US

>implying a pure human race exists

Aren't Europeans/Caucasians 4 different races merged into one?

BLEACHED

African Americans have contributed disproportionately to certain fields of visual arts, theater, music, literature, and athletics. Jazz, rock-and-roll, R&B, actual rap (Rhythm-and-poetry, not garbage), blues, and soul all owe a lot to African-Americans.

Bagel bun burgers, what the fuck, are you canadian or something?

Agreed.

Sub-saharan Africans are probably the closest you'll ever get to "pure".

>forgetting techno, house, and (surprisingly) country

If barely. Even the once thought to be pure Yoruba are slightly mixed with Neanderthal.

It's a mosaic. From a distance, the various elements seem to blend together. But up close, they stay separate.

Its more like a brick wall. The layers closer to the ground are full of shit and piss. Meanwhile the higher levels are nice and clean. Historically nations allow immigration to cover up shit so as to coax the neighboring nations and those in communication into believing their new found cleanliness. Its a truce of sorts. If any nation attacks the paylod falls on the innocent new people. Its called the american haze.

>probably because of the way they got here and subsequent racial shenanigans till at least late 20th century
more like because they noticed how americans love to feel guilty

It's melting pot for white European people but not for niggers and spics. Anyone who denies that is a fucking retard being ignorant of reality.

"Niggers and spics" wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the merging of cultures, especially genetically. Are you saying that because most blacks and Hispanics don't look white and therefore can't merge into society as well?

When it comes to white people yes, visible minorities (As per usual) are having more troubles integrating.
The US of A has always done a magnificent job of integrating different white subgroups into mainstream white US identity. It's marvelous what learning english as first language and not Italian/irish whatever can do.

Aren't non-latino and non-black Americans mostly German and Anglo?

Exactly. Anglos, Germans, Slavs, Poles, Italians, Nordics etc ALL melted into a "white American" ethnic group. But niggers are still separate from whites culturally, economically and pretty much in every other way despite living here from day 1.

>The US of A has always done a magnificent job of integrating different white subgroups into mainstream white US identity.
The Irish and Italians would have a hard time agreeing with that until the 40s and 50s

techno isn't even an American invention, and country is likewise mostly european descended. only a few elements like the banjo are african in origin

>ctrl+v
>'burger'
well done Veeky Forums

>sesame seeds are jews, nigh unnoticeable and almost a staple, but annoying to a select group of very few people
>tomatoes are muslims, not always liked, some claim it ruins the burger, but others like it

>The real question is how you would pull off an actual melting pot where cultures influence and mix with one another, and what it would look like
What is brazil?

Actually sub-saharan africans contain DNA from 3 or 4 earlier hominids (not neanderthal or denisovan). All those early hominids that lived in africa before homo sapiens didnt just dissapear into thin air.

come on, dont leave injuns out

>African Americans have contributed
>niggers
>contributing

Thats hilarious user.

>"Hyphenated Americans" that take after their home country are looked at with great mistrust.
Not anymore.

This, the US is a self-segregated nation. Not even California is exempt from this.

>euro/afro
Brazilian
>mexi/asian
Philippines