Tfw you realize that learning history is pointless, seeing as how you'll never make an impact on the future

>tfw you realize that learning history is pointless, seeing as how you'll never make an impact on the future

You certainly won't with that attitude.

That's not the point of learning history, you fucking weeb. The point is to become educated and better yourself.

You certainly won't with any attitude.

It's not "bettering yourself" if there's nothing accomplished by it. By this logic, I would be bettering myself by learning Esperanto.

You become educated, you fucking child. That's what is accomplished by it.

Nonsense. That would imply that there has been no one who has made an impact on the future among humans. That is demonstrably incorrect.
It has been done before, and it can be done by you. I think you are overestimating how much it takes. It could be as simple as talking someone into pursuing their life's ambitions on Veeky Forums.
Really, it is hard to live a life that doesn't have an effect on the future. You would have to actively isolate yourself from other people, and even then you risk ending up a case study in a psychology theory.

Oh, in that case, excuse me while I memorize every Pokémon by number.

>I would be bettering myself by learning Esperanto
You would certainly learn a lot about constructed languages. Who knows how that could be useful? Really, the trick is just to be actively learning something as often as possible. Some input is infinitely better than no input.

Have fun.

If that's what you consider having an "impact on the world," I have no arguments.

Please tell us what type of impact you would like to make then. We can advise you on a course of action.

I personally don't see it. Even if I had every book written on history memorized, I don't see how that would be beneficial to me or anyone around me. If I was rich and powerful, sure I could see the application. I'm not, though, so why even bother?

>I can't find uses for all of this information I don't know. Send help.

An impact that would change the future. Seeing as how we study mostly politics in history, having an impact on politics would be useful. Even then, though, the only politicians who really change anything are presidents and the Supreme Court. Even the votes of congressmen are so miniscule that they basically amount to nothing.

>don't know
>implying

Write. Change the mind of enough people and you change the actions of politicians.

>learning something that is gonna be revised in the next century to fit the political agenda while ruins and documents get destroyed and the century after that the same thing happens for a new political agenda and so forth
In another hundred years every person and their mother is gonna think that Mesopotamia has always been Arab since there will be no ruins left to contradict it. Just the old stored documents made by "white historians" to undermine their superior pan-arab rule.

I can see the application, but then it all comes down to luck, which I seem to have none of. I'll agree, yes, that CAN make a difference, but how often in history has it?

More than you think. Few people actually dedicate themselves to becoming excellent at it, which is really what it takes to make an impact with any kind of intellectual endeavor.
A hundred people can write a hundred books, but only the best of those will anyone take the time to read. Make sure yours is the truely the best. Setup concrete metrics to judge your progress.
Get gud.

Plus, you still won't know what really happened in the past.

Now do you see why only losers are historians?

>concrete metrics
What did he mean by this?

Judge your success based on independently verifiable signs of progress. Something besides just feeling like you have gotten better. An actual test of your abilities. I can't tell you what those should be, as they would vary greatly depending on your goals.