Adventurer Gratitude Campaign - Ends December 31st
playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15861/detail.html

>Coming Up
Returnee Support Campaign - December 11th
playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/15941/detail.html

Version Update - Mid December

>Where to get it
Retail - Steam currently has it discounted
store.steampowered.com/app/230350/FINAL_FANTASY__XI_Ultimate_Collection_Seekers_Edition/

Free Trial - 14 days with restrictions
store.na.square-enix.com/product/442968/final-fantasy-xi-free-trial-pc-download

Private Server - Kupo
kupoffxi.com/install/

>Linkshells
Asura - pm Dinotron or Apocarypse

>FAQ
If playing on Retail roll on Asura, or Odin for JP players.
bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GmPgEMuW98Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7WAcS-1H3BM
youtube.com/watch?v=V_uc_sw3rfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Vj4mG0kfzds
youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk
youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Previous discussion

You can also pm dawn or supooki, for invites to the Asura ls.

youtube.com/watch?v=GmPgEMuW98Y

youtube.com/watch?v=7WAcS-1H3BM

Should've linked to this thread in that thread.

I would have but it died while I was asleep. /v/ will catch on eventually.

youtube.com/watch?v=V_uc_sw3rfQ

is this game getting such a resurgance it needed a general?

Wish they did more free logins, last couple of weeks was fun.

We've had daily threads for a while now with really good discussion but if I didn't make the threads then it was 50\50 whether one would go up. We have a few guilds amongst servers and the sale for 11 is worth advertising. At least this way more timezones can get in on the fun.

They do them every 3 or 4 months nowadays. That being said it's not super expensive to just sub and keep playing, you can make quite a lot of progress in 30 days compared to old XI.

Oh sure, just the holiday season is killer on my wallet because I have to deal with that and 4 Birthdays.

>This is the last content trailer they made for XI
youtube.com/watch?v=Vj4mG0kfzds

Man, XI really would be amazing with a graphical update. Makes me wonder what SE's next MMO endeavour will look like, the talent at their company is pretty top notch, that was a well storyboarded trailer.

I'd honestly like for them to keep making these trailers for their monthly updates. If not that, maybe a yearly update.

You ever seen this?
youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk

It's weird to see the two videos side-by-side.

Oh fuck I just realised, this isn't a concept video of FFXI. This is potentially what FFXIV would have been, or possibly a graphical overhaul of FFXI?

I have, I actually think they'll reuse this design sometime in the future.

I think that's a concept video for FFXIV.

What's everyone up to ingame?

Spamming Ambuscade with LS right now for a guy who doesn't play too often.

I'm signing up for a Square Enix account after being away from this series for a couple of years, so I don't really remember anything about this and searching around didn't come up with much. I've already bought the game and everything, so is there any reason I need to put a real name and address on my account information?

Trying to rustle up some money.

Same, honestly.

I made a decent amount of change from the SKCNM campaign, but I need more consistent revenue coming in.

All the main quests. Nation mission Journey Abroad, Limit break 1, and then probably some RoV after.

No, just remember the name in case you forget some info and have to deal with the customer service and they ask your name.

Thanks! I managed to get through it.

Nice, first time or a repeta?

Repeat for me. I made a new character.

Nice gl

Up to 35/50 on Briareus.

This goes by A LOT faster if you get other people involved with you. I knew a lot of people dualboxed this stuff, but I just asked guys in my LS and they were to help out.

I'm still stuck on the /heal Abyssite NMs, though. After a few hours of farming the Tier 1, it just wouldn't upgrade. Not sure if I was doing something wrong or just unlucky.

I hope this general survives. It could be a nice hang out for all of he XI players.

Just unlucky. I killed like eleven before mine upgraded one time. Maybe you can have a buddy get the KI, pop it, and then dc to prevent it from upgrading.

That's good to know, I'm still pretty early on but I was wondering how to approach end-game events when the time came. I've read that THF isn't really sought after in end-game, do you know why? It seems so odd to me.

As a DD, THF doesn't do much per hit unless it's against a bird. Their WS is okay I guess if it's stacked, but they're on a 50 second or one minute timer. Without SA or TA, Rudra aren't really impressive. Hate isn't really a big issue anymore. Guess you could Aura Steal if it has a non dispelable buff. It's also a melee putting it into range of aoes. It would need buffs too. It can't heal or buff itself as well as a BLU.

End game is usually using SMNs to do a lot of damage or SCHs to make long ranged SCs and BLMs bursting off it to kill it quickly unless it has some gimmick. Some NMs can get bullshit with what they do later on, so you want to kill them quick. As for Treasure Hunter, I guess they'd rather have a high chance of winning and hope for the drop instead of hoping of winning and having a high chance of getting the drop.

Ah, I see. Well hopefully I can get into a more lenient shell when the time comes, I guess the enmity changes are a pretty big deal I didn't know they made it easier to keep hate.

My God, Elvaan are real assholes in the story. Makes me feel odd for rolling one.

Finally bought this game.
I don't normally like online games, but since pretentious fags on /v/ always talk shit about FFXII and how it's just an inferior rehash of FFXI, I thought I'd try.
First impression: Really nice. Get thrown right into it like a person suffering from amnesia and explore the world on your own.

oops, just wrote some meaningless stuff to bump the thread. But was way too slow

Just made my first character. Talking to NPCs in Windurst, trying to comprehend the information overload and trying to figure out what to do.
I was a fool believing the guy who said you can be lvl 99 in one week, when it already takes a day talking to the NPCs in the first town.

To be honest I think I could hit 99 in a few days. I have to actively stop myself leveling or it's too fast for me. That being said Windurst is a horrible, horrible place. It's massive and divided into so many maps. I started in Bastok, small-ish and cozy.

I mean that's the whole idea about them I guess. Being all tall and shit, highest strength and highest mind and highest charisma stat. Chads of Vanadiel.

You CAN hit 99 in a week but you necessarily won't. If you know what to do, you can hit 99 in a week. Like me. But I'm actually taking the time to do a bit of each storyline here and there as I level. Going to cap is just shitty. Probably 80% of this game before endgame is about the world and the lore/story, so just burning past that is retarded.

I'm doing the same thing, I outlevel my subjob, switch to that and do story and when it's leveled a bit I go back to my main and level some more.

youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg

General rule of thumb on job use involves asking yourself one question:

>Who am I playing with?

If you're going to be playing with randoms and pugs, you won't really get to play the jobs that you enjoy playing or the ones you found cool. Most pick up groups don't trust people to just waltz in on a job that isn't listed on a strat they read off BG or FFXIAH, so they end up pushing them away with a {No thanks.} and that's that.

It's why I always recommend that people stick together in the /v/ threads, joining a linkshell or making your own and recruiting others can really alter your experience with the game. It allows you a lot more freedom in your playstyle and gives you the chance to try out things that strangers who do not know you may not approve of.

Things are easy enough now that you should try to get at least a few different jobs so that you could better contribute to any group-based function, but at the same time I encourage that anyone new to the game should try to experience something before they decide whether the job they have is good for it or not.

I feel like maybe some of the other veterans might disagree with me on some of these points, but I've been sticking to this mentality on everything I've done so far and I've been able to make consistent progress on equipment, weapon upgrades, and so on.

You can, but you shouldn't. People put yoo much emphasis on endgame and grinding out gear, there's still an entire handcrafted world to explore with tons of amazing scenery to visit and explore so don't fall for the YOU CAN GET TO 99 IN A DAY!!! mem and just take in the world at your own pace.

Arciela thread.

I don't play this game but take a bump

thanks, that's what I'm going to do. In most games you can reach max level simply by doing quests anyway.
My own pace will be exceptionally slow, I enjoy exploring big worlds and try to look at maps as little as possible. It can be fun getting lost, not knowing where you are.

In that case I'd recommend leveling one of the jobs that can natively sneak+invis themselves, that way you can truly explore no matter what level you are. There are many zones that most people gloss over so you can also enjoy fighting many NM's and collecting all sorts of weird gear.

If you're gonna do this, go check the wiki to unlock DNC and get it to level 25 for Spectral Jig (basically free/unlimited Sneak&Invis).

I'm kind of interested in playing FFXI, this will be my first time. Should I join Kupo? Steam says it isn't available in my region.

And assuming I started playing, will I be in for a bad time as a BLM? I like the idea of casting spells that blow shit up.

Idk why it wouldn't be available for you. It's probably just the Steam version but that's the only one that's still doing $10 for the ultimate edition atm unfortunately. Might as well try the private server first, yeah. BLM will be fine I figure as a dd considering which 'stage' of FFXI kupo is adhering to. Just be aware of magic bursting when in a party (it's simple).

How's the community on this game? Is it how it used to be all those years ago, or do people just walk around never talking to one another?

Well there's basically server-wide shout and Unity chat where people will have more chances to talk to each other. But in the beginning in the overworld it's probably less talking since you generally run around with your trusts. With trusts you can only scratch the surface of endgame. Their AI isn't good enough to handle some situations or something.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad, especially considering how old this game is now. Would you happen to know if the PlayOnline community is alive? I remember there were chatrooms and some messaging system.

The thing I liked most about this game, but it was easily the worst, was being forced to party with other people because it was impossible to do anything solo. I'm glad but sad they added Trusts, but if everyone's hanging out at end-game then it doesn't sound too bad.

thanks again. I was considering trying out dancer before, hearing it might fit my playing style is really nice to know.

I have fond memories of the servers going down for maintenance and everyone rushing to the POL chatrooms. PlayOnline really is a bit of a hassle but I can see what they were aiming for and sad it didn''t work out.

If you're on Asura and would like a pearl, send a /t to Supooki, I'll come get ya one!

Are you guys able to use the Linkshell Concierge NPCs? Or do they cost a lot of money.

Dunno, think you need to have the shell to use them.

In the mean time just send me a /t, I don't bite

She doesn't quite look like this ingame ;_;

So between Resolution and Dimidation, which will pull through ahead for a non-REMA RUN?

I got back into the game and I'm trying to gear up RUN and I'm not sure what I should focus on. I've got a TP set, a tanking set, but I'm not sure what I should work on as far as WS sets go.

Currently using Macbain, but I've been super unlucky with stats on it. I think I'll just grab some friends and try to farm up the mats for Aettier later.

Aww, it seems like the Steam version has gone back to regular pricing. I was hoping for that to slide past them a little longer.

Winter sale is right around the corner, give it another week or two

Just a message for anyone considering getting this game, there are some fucking cool cutscenes in here. I started less than a week ago and slowly getting through all the story and this is turning into a really nice experience.

The real interesting part comes in the evolution of the animators and their skills. At the beginning, there were some really stiff movements on the characters, but as time went on they choreographed some really complex movements for characters in cut scenes and ended up pulling it off incredibly well.

Pay attention to stuff going on in the background, too. There's always stuff going on where you least expect it. For example, one of the Wings of the Goddess quest lines features an adventurer having a conversation with an NPC, this references the fact that the NPC is used for another quest that involves trading him Ladybug wings in exchange for money.

Now... my SCH stylelock is complete.

This is where the real Fashion Fantasy XI begins.

user, I hate to be the one to break it to you but most of those belts aren't doing anything. I think the tailor ripped you off.

IT'S CALLED FASHION, DAD, I WOULDN'T EXPECT YOU TO UNDERSTAND.

THE AMOUNT OF BELTS I HAVE IS PROPORTIONATE TO MY POPULARITY.

It's story time /xig/. I was trying to get the limit break items for my first quest, figured I'd start with Garliage.

In order to even get to the enemy that can drop the item, I had to fight off what I can only describe as a gaggle of bats. Then I get to the final corridor and this fuck is standing in my way, Skewer Sam, his width is practically the same as the corridor, my fault for not bringing stealth items but here we are.

I engage him, I'm doing pretty well and suddenly I'm getting smacked by a bat, I figured it's not a big deal but as I turn to look at him I see it's not just some bat, it's fucking Old Two-Wings. So now I'm fighting off two goddamn NM's in a shitty tower with holes in it and I'm not even at the enemy that I was apprehensive to fight in the first place.

I managed to take Sam down and luckily had re-raise, so I died getting there and got my item but I swear to Christ unless somebody has a gun to my head I'm staying away from this place.

Intense story.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who said they liked the zone. It was known as Garbage Shitadel for a reason.

What a dungeon. It feels like it was made to inspire terrible memories in people.

>Garbage Shitadel
That's perfect, it's like the devs did it on purpose. I guess every game needs a few places like this but glad to know I'm not the only one.

Been really craving FFXI but I have absolutely no funds and will not have money until January. Wish there were similar games to XI as I don't want to play with Nasomi's stupid rules and Kupo is dead.

Did the Kupo linkshell ever take off? I'm about ready to give up on the server and that makes me sad.

I don't think so. I've tried so hard to join/start a static in kupo but never get anyone.

First Delve run on Phoenix with the LS was a big success. None of us have ever tried this before, so it was fun to "delve" into the experience, if you'll pardon the pun.

We've got a few people who need Relic 119'd, so we might do one of these days whenever we can to get people geared up.

How's everyone else doing today?

Sounds fun user, I did my first limit break quest today, which was also the first difficult thing I've encountered. I'm going to try and do more things at the appropriate level, I read at 75 you can essentially turn exp off so I might sit at 75 for a while.

What program do you guys use to take screenshots btw? The default POL quality is horrendous.

It was lots of fun. A lot of people who don't play anymore make fun of post 75 FFXI's endgame content but if you experience it you'll notice a lot of cool systems that all come into play with each other in all the right ways.

I use Windower's built-in screenshot function. Just print screening through that. My graphic settings are kinda horrendous, though, as if I go any higher than what I've got in that screenshot then the game starts to chug everywhere.

Fraps, because I can't get windower to install.

If you want a free alternative, there's always our boy Howie.

Oh, dude GC was infamous. There were often times I'd try to get a party together and it'd be the only possible camp and people would groan and moan at the thought of going there. I recall someone even turned down my invitation to go there once, too.

What's the easiest place to kill frogs

Marjami #2 or Hennetiel FS

When's the Login Campaign end? I just got this a day or two ago, but I'm worried I won't be able to get all the trusts in time

>Friday, November 10, at 7:00 a.m. (PST) to Sunday, December 3, at 6:00 a.m. (PST)

I guess I read outdated information, I thought it ended on Nov 24th. Thanks a ton

No prob.

Just make sure you can pick up some nice ones that'll help you out in the future. Don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure what to grab.

REAL GALKA HOURS GIME A (you) IF YOU UP

Careful, if you stay up too late you start to see some weird things.

She basically looks like Yuna. Idk why they didnt' just port her from X straight into one of the hume female models.

Are you new to the game? Or perhaps you forgot. Like the other user said.
>tight tiny corridors with every single shit kind of aggro possible
>undead HP 10 feet away in every direction waiting to drive-by rape your yellow HP butthole
>every mob and 3 others ready to link and help out if his buddy is getting attacked
>sound aggro everywhere
>magic aggro around every corner
>all this crap ready to aggro from 4 tiny rooms nearby you weren't even aware of
>fall down and you get lost trying to navigate through like 4 maps if you were even able to get the map (most didn't have it)
>possibly get stuck behind doors you needed like 2 other guys to open for you
>it's all grey and dark
Garlaige Shitadel. I'm so glad Dancer exists now and you can just buy the map with gil. There were a lot of long and tedious quests just to get maps for various winding dungeons.

You mean literal frogs or Poroggos?

What's good besides the obvious Shantotto2? None of them seem useful except I think one of them has treasure hunter, but then you get Lion1 soon enough so it seems eh.

Yeah, I'm new to the game. I ran into some guy who gave me 700k and seemed adamant it wasn't a big deal, so I blew about 50k+ on maps, turns out it's a useful investment. I wasn't aware you had to quest for them before. I also got that key item that opens all the doors for you. It does sound pretty cool to co-ordinate with your friends just to navigate. The other 2 genkai items weren't nearly as annoying to get.

Yeah they were tough to get besides the Exoray mold back in the day. Crawlers' is a cake walk compared to the other two. And with the key items nowadays both are very easy. But yeah you'd want a full party of level 50s to go around farming if not a Lv75 guy to solo it for you.

Got to level 60 and to the Magicite Mission. Holy shit I'm taking maybe 2 hours reading up on the wiki to do Magicite and Genkai 3 and re-familiarizing myself with the maps so I can do these things without having to alt-tab hobble while doing the mission and quest and possibly dying to aggro towards the end of each portion. Freaking true sight/hearing aggro fugg. I did all this once back in 2003ish. Damn this was kind of intense thanks to freaking Oztroja. Davoi and Beadeaux are quite simple.