/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Meme Mods Edition

Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha released for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=168483.0
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=159164.msg7632503#msg7632503
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=159164.msg7632504#msg7632504
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164070.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53928.0)
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158898.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167606.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149426.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FIrst for mining demon soul planes

>someone is actually playing with my mod installed

yey

I thought the way your work went ignored by everyone was really moe, though.

I don't expect toady to to get every small detail like giving the dorfs a random chance to start balding if they have too much test which gets converted into dht, but managing sewage is a critical piece of immersion. It wouldn't even be hard, he already has water physics done, all he need to do is copy the water mechanics and use them for poop management, and then take eating mechanics for dorfs and simply add there a new need to poop and then the player would assign designated shitting tiles in the fort where dorfs would poop.
Then you could turn that tile into like a hole which would lead into the sewage pipe under and then you would manage sewage like water.
Pretty easy to do. I am not asking for miracles, i am asking for taking already existing mechanics and making slight additions to them to HUGELY icnrease realism and immersion.

Which one is yours?

> Here's the report for the beginning of the month. Future of the Fortress has many characters, so it is broken into two parts: Part 1, Part 2.
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=168483.0
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=159164.msg7632503#msg7632503
bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=159164.msg7632504#msg7632504

pillaging soon

What tilesets can you recommend? Looking for a nice square ASCII tileset?

>immersion
>realism
I hate how every single retard wants games to be a 100% accurate simulation of life because they have no life.

Well if nothing else its motivated me to encourage other modders who come here to display their work so they don't feel discouraged.

Fantastic Races

Dude, just let the shit go.

>posted 10 minutes earlier than this thread
>everyone flocks here
Is there no justice?

because the OP of this thread made the "new thread everyone get in here" post first

I use this one.
Oh. I think it's pretty neat mod. One of the only ones to add interesting original enitities.

This is DWARVEN JUSTICE

It was inevitable.

Only one dwarf civ made it, and only one of their fortresses is left in this clusterfuck of a world. At least they managed to survive.

>The Berry of Muffins
why not just call it fucking Blueberry

i dont want to think about shit and piss while playing a video game

>One of the only ones to add interesting original enitities.

This is pretty much why I made it. Don't get me wrong, adding pre-existing civilizations from history or other works of fiction is pretty cool and all, but the absence of original civs really stood out to me. Direforged (bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53928.0) does actually do this, but it also is a total conversion so it isn't as compatible with other mods.

So I decided I'd fill this gap by creating a library of original creatures and civilizations designed to be compatible with as many mods as possible, with an overall theme of dreamlike, surreal, strange, or at least unique beings that come with their own flaws and strengths to be used in both adventure and fortress mode. It was pretty hard at first but as I grew more competent I can churn out new updates pretty quickly. I'd love to see other people make their own original races though.

Well the main reason I used it is because on vanilla dorf fortress the world is pretty bland with not a lot of complexity between civilizations. Now it's a complete and total mess, just how I want it.

That was definitely a secondary motivation for me yeah. I'll admit that I used to play Masterwork DF because I was a fan of how many races were added, but I eventually gave up on it because I wanted to wean myself off of mods, utilities, graphics packs so I could play the game right when the new update dropped (which I thought was just around the corner a year ago) and then I found I couldn't go back to it because I could see what a mess it was compared to vanilla. But I still wanted all that creature variety, so I made it myself instead.

Really I think it's a shame the direction people have taken modding dwarf fortress. I prefer that mods be more like modules you can just throw in and with a little editing get to work together. I want to be able to easily decide what I want and don't want. Masterwork has some decent stuff, but I'm not going to bother spending hours making it playable.

Reminder that dwarves get their sustenance from matter-antimatter annihilation, yielding pure energy at 100% efficiency and it also explains why they only need to eat once a month.

>I prefer that mods be more like modules you can just throw in and with a little editing get to work together.

I agree. I tried to make my own mod as modular and compatible as possible for that exact reason. I'm pretty sure that so long as no one actively subtracts stuff from the vanilla game or renames it that my civs could be added to any currently existing mod without any trouble.

>I'm pretty sure that so long as no one actively subtracts stuff from the vanilla game or renames it that my civs could be added to any currently existing mod without any trouble.
Only thing I needed to change was adding the reactions and such from the spellworks mod to some of your entities.

Ah right, there is stuff like that. I meant more that the game would still run in the situation I described but now that you mention it I suppose a bit of editing would be needed to add certain functionalities.

Having to add stuff isn't really a problem. It's much more annoying to have to remove things you don't want.

Also anyone want to take bets on whether the next major version will be released by 2020?

>its moans seem to echo no matter where it resides the pieces of its body are carefully separated by markings nearby vegetation seem to shrink away from it
I never play adventure mode. What creature is this?

angels

u gon die son

From the FotF:

>Yeah, raids are all stealthy now -- the people they fight are people they failed their stealth rolls against. It is quite likely that we'll have some new raid options in the coming releases, including something like "pillage" that allows for an attack which might use stealth for surprise at first, but which prioritizes looting over stealth, and invites fighting. I imagine we'll get quite a few new options, as it's a fun, new screen that has a lot of room to grow quickly with great game benefits.

Everyone says it's because of your timing, but I didn't click on your thread because of → →.

I was reading the Strings posted in the last thread.
>it reminds those that look upon it of their most unpleasant memories
>it repeatedly makes threats of torture and death
>it knows and intones the names of all it encounters
I wish this type of stuff was in fortress mode.
I'm not going to lie, I'm going to name a group The Glanton Gang and have them do unspeakable deeds upon the Elves and Goblins.

>I wish this type of stuff was in fortress mode.
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158898.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167606.0

If you want meme tier difficulty. Sieges are all just fuck my shit up with this.

Then please fuck off to normie games like sim city and don't infect the only good sim game with your normieness
i bet you use tilesets as well

>dwarf fortress
>simulation game
It's literally not. It's a RP game. Legends Mode is the main part of the game, the rest is just an afterthought. Procedurally Generated History =/= Meme Simulation

shhhhh dude don't take the fucking bait

Cheers.
Do you know of a demon/dark souls pack?
I imagine a fortress with various sections (walled off) guarded Black Knights and such

Hey Modanon, I'm about to make twelve of your creations (all six Hlira castes, an Ekklos, a Kalkir, two Lulot castes, a Manat War-Golem, and a Qaarou) fight to the death. Bets on who'll win?

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149426.0

Also this mod

Has some demonic civs.

(make sure to read the readme for install)

Also just saying this artist gives me some major nerd boners

If the Nelfa can use its divine powers to turn everyone into crazed psychotic zombies, it would normally win. But the Ekklos and the Manat are unnatural organisms powered by sorcery, and can resist the Nelfa's divine word. So my money is on the War-Golem.

The Nelfa is one of the Hlira castes btw.

And the winner is Hlira 2 (the Lodra)

Huh, didn't expect that to happen at all.

Slade feathers are OP as fuck. Slade is literally the most powerful material in DF.

Well they were designed to essentially be living ballistae so that makes sense. I'll probably lengthen the cooldown time to something more reasonable though.

So it turns out that the Lodra won by being the only one still in the ring, it appears that the Yoera and a Lulot-turned-Nephil made it out of the ring. The Yoera's practically dead. The little bit of gore near the waterfall is a tooth from when the Ekklos exploded.

Ah, I see. Well I definitely got some interesting data out of this.

I did some dorf science and a dorf in all steel gear can kill one pretty easily.

A lodra that is.

Well yeah, beyond their ranged attack they aren't particularly tougher than any other humanoid. Kind of a glass cannon. Unless they also have steel armor, of course. Wouldn't that be an unfortunate situation.

HHey guys i was gone for a long time. Just chheckked to see if thhere was update and noticed there was.

Has anyone created a squad yet and sent it out to te world?

Are sieges Great Again? I remember they never occured last version compared to the one like 3 years ago! (god how time flys)

I miss creating dwarf spear squads, legionairres and sending them to battle invasions. Do it historical too.

Eh, a silver war hammer can kill most things in steel armor. Now if it had slate bones, then it would be tough.

user did you have a stroke

As of now you can only raid sites, which is a stealth action. If your dorfs get spotted that civ might decide to siege you.

Wat is most important to me is. Sieges happen more it use to be every 2 years

I don't want to make them too overpowered though, just give them some abilities they can use to stand out. Lodra are heavy ranged hitters but like you said, they have some trouble with enemies in good armor. This is where the other castes come in. A Fura could cook them inside their armor, or a Ritvha could tie them down long enough to finish them. And Nelfas can do their freaky zombie thing if skin is exposed.

On that note though, I fully intend to give them spooky old testament angel creatures they'll bring into battle in a future update.

>it took toady a year to develop this update
>the next update has literally 10x the amount of stuff
Next update 2030?

Yeah. You can even go to war with dwarves now, as a dorf.

>2050
>Economy Update is about to be released
>while it's compiling Toady dies of a heart attack

Who is the biggest DF pro on youtube?

>youtube
DF players are too autistic for that.

Joel from Vinesauce I think. Well I wouldn't call him a pro but he and Kruggsmash are the only watchable ones.

Joel sucks, but he has a lot of fun.

Yeah he's not the best at it but he can keep it entertaining at least. Kruggsmash seems to mostly know what he's doing on the other hand and also has those neat drawings going for him.

I am.

Oh hey this is just a little request but if someone who has my mod installed sees this, could they try testing out a Manat fort? I'd do it myself but I'm really incompetent at fort mode (I only just learned how to tell the military to kill things) so it'd get done quicker if someone knew what they were doing. Basically, I'd like someone to confirm that the various Slugmorph animals produce the resources their lore chapter says they do, and that the raw Manat Bone produced by the Bone Slugmorph can be successfully refined into bars of Manat Bone which can be smelted into objects, and then refined again into Bonesteel. At the moment these reactions use the smelter but this will probably change later on when I finally tackle custom workshops.

Ok, I'll start a manat fort. I downloaded the mod, now where do i drag the files? Do I need all the language and body files as well?

drag them into dwarf fortress\raw\objects

And yes, you need every file containing the word 'manat'. Same rules for any other race you'd like to try on your own time, btw.

Nevermind i'm good. Haven't used mods before, but I figured it out.

Ah ok. Either way, please let me know when you've found out that the creatures are working as intended, or not. Also, I recommend reading the Manat section of the lore document so you understand what you'll be dealing with, if you haven't already. Or at the very least, the Subtypes category if not the History and Culture subsections.

Didn't you post that story with them in it once? I'll read the lore regardless, just checking if my memory still works.

I've posted a few stories containing the races from my mod yeah. I hope people found them enjoyable, but they don't really serve as a guide to playing the race.

AWESOME

THANK YOU TOADY!

I was really bored with the version before this one. Sieges sometimes NEVER HAPPENED!

Now my game has action! and population control the non boring way!

Thank you so much for tis information. I am very glad i learned it with no DF terapist all tose years ago :)

I want scale armor! And dwarfs tat can ride horses wit Swords! to battle the Goblins mounted on Beakdogs

why can i mine slade?

Because it's supposed to be that way. They only way to mine it is an exploit.

Kruggsmash, because he edits out the boring pause-designate-unpause bullshit and gets to the plot points of the story, and actually CAN tell a story BECAUSE he edits his videos into one.

ELF COMBAT
ELF COMBAT
YYEEAAUUHH

FINALLY!

>manat werewolf
FUG

Huh, that's really not supposed to happen considering they have the [NOT_ALIVE] tag on them.

Ok, I've just embarked, and immediately the flyer caste are zooming around the place, which is cool to see. Unfortunately, this also means that they are having trouble dumping wood in my stockpile, and keep spamming "drop off inaccessible".

Well it did and I had to go back a save because it was unstoppable.

Wait what caste are they actually?

Oh yeah shoot flying civ members might be bugged. You might have to go into the save file and remove the [FLIER] tag for them to function properly.

Oh okay that's really weird then. Ignore because this has to be some kind of bug. I thought it was confusing the Face caste's regenerative ability with werebeast infection but clearly shenanigans are at work here.

can dwarves throw tantrums again

Also, what are golems supposed to do? They're standing around doing not much at all right now.

They are basically meant to be living weapons. Think attack animals but way more lethal. Ideally they should be able to be given labors and stuff as well but I'm not sure if that works.

Only if you edit the raws to make them more bitchy.

If you make them all have noble-like sensibilities they'll throw tantrums again.

Can't assign them labours, but I trained them for war at least. Also, apparently I started without picks. Whoops.

>but I trained them for war at least.

Well at least some of it is working then. I was hoping it would be like trolls where they're a servant race kind of deal but I guess that doesn't work in fort mode.

what? "why can i mine slade?"

Think you need [CAN_LEARN] on them, [SLOW_LEARNER] won't do it on its own. Trolls have both and they will haul stuff in a goblin fortress.

ahhh I'll adjust that in the upcoming update.

Nice youtube links btw hehehe

I wanted to give each race a neat little themesong

modanon please bear my child

user bls

>he doesn't have THE LEVER in his fort

>he doesn't build the entirety of his fortress on a single 1-tile undefended soap pillar