“Many accounts of Japanese growth attribute it mainly to special characteristics of the Japanese culture or people...

>“Many accounts of Japanese growth attribute it mainly to special characteristics of the Japanese culture or people. The Japanese were not, however, always considered economic supermen. Western visitors in the mid-nineteenth century were often struck with the utter poverty of the people and even with the number of families that were reduced to infanticide. Although the rate of literacy was quite high by the standards of poor societies at that time, and the society had been progressing in certain respects,13 it was pathetically weak both technologically and militarily and subject to humiliation by even the most casual efforts of Western navies. In those days the conventional wisdom among Western observers was far different than it is today, with some alleging that Japanese character or culture was intrinsically incapable of economic development.

Excerpt From: Olson, Mancur. “The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth, Stagflation, and Social Rigidities.”

Why do people argue ex post facto?

I've heard a lot of these cultural arguments, but Japan and China were considered not cuturaly unlikely to industrialize throughout the 20th century, while Germany was thought of as a basket case even in the 18th century.

Why do extenstions of current trends turn out so wrong, and why do people act so like the present is infallible?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Emperor-Japan-Meiji-World-1852-1912/dp/0231123418/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479696764&sr=8-1&keywords=Japan Meiji
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are you even asking?

probably about people projecting their cultural penis stroking onto economic growth.

See China in the current year.

Um he's obviously asking why people think they can predict the future

Meiji started in 1868. Mid-nineteenth, Japan was basically still feudal. Japan modernized as a reaction to China. China failed to modernize because of Europe trying to carve apart China. Yes, there are factors like the centralization of government and size of the nation etc, because basically being fucked by Europe, and fear of being fucked by Europe explains China and Japan. The other stuff just explains why they fucked China before trying to fuck Japan.

Thanks. I'm asking this.
Yeah, but people keep projecting the present on to the future and thinking that they could predict it. Look at Kagan and Friedman, when they made predictions, or Le End of History guy.

Because the guy who guesses right gets immortalized.

nostradomus was a lucky bloke eh?

Historical determinism is very rampant amongst people because it makes sense to people things are the way they are because that's the way they oughta be.

Asia here means particularly Persia and India, by the way.

So you shouldn't be proud of your nation growing economically?
And the performance of the economy has nothing to do with culture?

>should be proud
what is this dumb shit. I can be happy that my country's economy is growing because it gives me more opportunity and a better lifestyle, but being proud of something I have no control over or say in is rather far fetched.

>performance of economy has nothing to do with culture?
no. It has infinitely more to do with what sort of economic and policy decisions that the powers that be take.

>but being proud of something I have no control over or say in is rather far fetched.

Do you spend money? Do you work a job? If so you have some control over the economy. And therefore you "can be" proud or not proud of it.

>It has infinitely more to do with what sort of economic and policy decisions that the powers that be take.

Hahaha because Zambia and South Korea are in similarly advantageous cultural positions?

>Japanese character or culture was intrinsically incapable of economic development.
This is 100% accurate though. The only reason jappos have $$$ is due to advances in (western) technology which allowed information to travel faster and wider, allowing those folk to copy western ideas and creations.

left to their own devices they be nothing more then a chinese vacation resort

>It has infinitely more to do with what sort of economic and policy decisions that the powers that be take.

He's got a huge point though. Also their geopolitical factors as well in the case of SK.

>He's got a huge point though

I understand. But he is implying it's 99% his point and only 1% mine.
Which is completely untrue. Culture effects development immensely.

He somehow thinks government's make their decision in a bubble separated from their own culture and people.

Care to explain why the only nations to go from developing nation status to developed nation status are East Asian/Confucian?

Because SK was a U.S, Japan is a U.S ally.

Japan had no breaks in indigenous rule and experience in governance and a functioning and developed civil society and good infrastructure and a developed civilian base.

SK got help from Japan and the U.S.

You're thinking of the Chinese m8. Japs have always been the master race of Asia

Nice delusion

No, it's pretty much all policy. As long as special interests/monopolies and guilds aren't allowed in a country, then it will develop

>As long as special interests/monopolies and guilds aren't allowed in a country

inside or outside the country. A lot of that shit comes internally.

Japanese goods were still considered shit quality in the 60s and 70s much like Made in China is shorthand for shoddy crap today.

Keep telling yourself that subhuman

Someday a Japanese person will acknowledge you.

Can someone recommend me a book on the Meiji Restoration? Wanted to get a better grasp of it.
Was thinking maybe this
amazon.com/Emperor-Japan-Meiji-World-1852-1912/dp/0231123418/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479696764&sr=8-1&keywords=Japan Meiji

Jap shit was not considered "shit quality" in the 70's.
The 70's was when Japanese products made it big, with all those Sony radios, and Honda Civics coming just in time to fuck Detroits shit up.

it wasn't because Japanese cars were high quality, it's because they were more fuel efficient.

heres what I think of your Japanese expansion

There's a lot of reasons you could come up with, but really it's just hubris.

China wasn't a U.S. ally.

Also the Phillipines were.

The nationalists were in ww2. In fact one of their leaders who is liked in taiwan and China was educated in the U.S.

That's basically a non-sequitr dude. He was implying that Korea and Japan only modernized because of American help, but that doesn't make complete sense because China did without America and the Phillipines have failed despite America.

He meant 40's-50's. And yes they were considered subpar quality fakes during this time.

>Taiwan
>Mainland China

Two separate entities and governments user.

He's butthurt some one said niggers were subhuman on pol so he has to bring that shit here

Yes i know the guy I'm referring to(forgot his name) is revered in both places

China didn't really boom until Clinton