/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Overengineering is a myth edition
Previous jej:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QbDuBTWrU-o
impact.colorado.edu/facilities.html#dal
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first post for Seablock Serb when?

aglodooanon's newest terryfying creature when?

I haven't been around since Opus Magnum got released and became the hot new subject. Anything interesting happen since then?

new chapters were added to opus magnum and noone gave a fuck, newfags arrived and started newfagging, cuckout is still annoying, but 1 user found a way to cheese the cheese if only he can get his vehicle upside down without hovers, the electric men had SE mars race, which was a huge success failure besiegeanon woke up from eternal slumber, but went to sleep again, I am keeping this post without linebreaks to butthurt some people, other than that not much really

thx fren
Wouldn't you have more success trolling if you tried 'reddit spacing'? Or is zero linebreaks the hot new troll?

I probably would, but I don't like reddit spacing + nolinebreaks is mainly my laziness, and a bit of annoyance to others

9th for anime spam

Newfag here, how can I detach blocks from a ship in Spengies? I want to make a flare-type decoy dispenser.
Could a torpedo launcher-type design work?

You use merge blocks

merge block or connector
first one if you want to have only 1 grid untill you release, second if you can fly multigrid
iirc first one is easier to projectorweld (tick the keep projection)

Opus Magnum latest version supply drop when?

If I hotkey the launch, do it, and then projectorweld them back, would the hotkey still work?
>inb4 it would be extremely CLANGy

I can't tell, since projectors do strange things to groups (it's a bug, reported, keen will "look into it")
but if you want torpedoes you should manage it easily through named blocks (like RemoteTorpedo, instead of Remote Control in the projection), but I know there are programmable block solutions that not only manage the whole torpedo launch, they also have guidance

thank you based ayylium

Alright. What about the merge blocks?

I came here to hereby ask you; What's best /egg/?

Highly subjective question
but Factorio

although i spend most time in SE
factorio

To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of your mechanisms.

>stormworks update
>again with the "alpha returns soon" bullshit so you can't play
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

GMod, since it's the /egg/-iest and /ded/-iest

The /egg/ that fits the "e" most is chode, and the one that fits the first "g" most is Factorio.

>tfw the retard still hasn't posted any mav engineering

I like Factorio and Spengoes as well as Medivals engineers but that's because I'm a sucker for medival shit

ded game

Just want to clarify something about laser turrets in factorio-

Each turret consumes 800kJ per shot, and the maximum shooting speed is 9.6 shots per second, thus a maximum of 7.68 mW per turret is required.

Is this all correct? And would it be feasible to have a 100% solar powered grid for laser turrets, isolated from the rest of the factory? Seems like you wouldn't need too much power since laser turrets will rarely be engaged for longer than 10 seconds at a time.

Really gets the noggin joggin

I'm sorry.
dod game

its actually a good thing, especially if they are expecting to break old builds and such. stop people from playing, making sure people dont burn out on an incomplete game to leave with a poor impression, and also preventing people from building ships that will later break and complaining about it. its a smart move.

Yes, it's feasible, provided you have accumulators.

yeah but I was just starting to find the fun stuff like the warp drive and was gonna power a boat with it

yes, but not really

>And would it be feasible to have a 100% solar powered grid for laser turrets
Just go nuclear

>Ouch!

So, you need about 15 fully charged accumulators to maintain a single turret firing for 10 seconds

Gonna take a while but I'm sure it'll be worth it

Is the only type of factory in factorio the "main bus" build? Where you have basically a river of iron and copper in the middle of your base?

I can't see how any other kind of factory would work? Am I just unimaginative? Like if I don't want spaghetti base or main bus base... what are my options?

bots

I suppose you can also use trains to bring in raw materials and export whatever you're making

it's the most efficient way to get running at the beginning. think about expanding with trains and going off the handle

You can also PARTY LIKE YOURE THAT BIG MOUTHY TREN FROM THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE SERIES

comes only with slight annoyance of having to haul any and every resource, intermediate and product between dozens of stations.
And, oh, building those stations

spaghetti, outposts galore and big snek are different options that I know of

Are those solar fields I see up top? Could I see a detail view? Mine are differently packed and I'm curious why yours look like that.

he probably wants to have space to walk between them
oh and
>using solars
REEEEEEEEE

It's just a blueprint I picked up online. I haven't played this map in months and since then I've found better ones.

Nope, they're packed in tight.

>these rails
I am angry.

Yours are more dense than mine, but probably more efficient.

Yes to both.

Would any Chodeman be so kind as to share his railgun designs with me? I feel like I've hit a wall, yet there should be room for improvement. Ignore the armor, I'm still experimenting on that front.

I've got a lot of railgun designs, I'll dump a few of my favorites. This is the best tradeoff between velocity and cost I've found, the stresses increase very quickly as you get higher speeds and so does the cost of reinforcing material. The armature is a modded material, it has higher strength to simulate how a parabolic cutout reduces stress on the projectile by several times.

This is the most efficient one I've made with speeds a significant fraction of 100 km/s. Still you can see how it is roughly 20 times heavier and more expensive despite only having 5 times the muzzle velocity, though it does have 25 times more muzzle energy.

This is the highest velocity railgun I've made, even more inefficient than the last one. This thing destroys missile swarms in seconds thanks to its muzzle velocity, though I doubt it's realistic to accelerate a 1 gram projectile to 100 km/s without it disintegrating so I might stop using it.

design in creative, or deeisng WITH PART BUILT FROM OWN HAND?

Sushi bus is also a thing

wat

since this trap is open and curious vermin can come from basically any sides, potentially fucking it up
isn't that a flaw
lets think about better way to use a gun

Do you design builds in creative mode, or design them in "survival mode" or whatever, with parts you've handcrafted on your own?

If you're talking about a game where collecting parts is tedious as hell and you're not an expert on how ship designs function when finished, creative is better for designing first.
Then after a while you stop being a pussy and go make it in survival, and not using blueprints of any kind.

>those weights
>those costs
I've known I'm a brainlet for a long time, but damn. You've given me a lot to try out. Thanks, user.

CHODE supply drop?

If you ask us for a supply drop, you'll get a copy where all textures are replaced with grilled cheese and all sounds with loud nigra.

So it's a bi-section of the system ? I'm not sure a rodent would willingly enter a small wooden box with no clear exit, especially not one with rodent corpse smell inside. They're probably dig around it. The peanut might attract them, but it's not guaranteed.

Observe my solution. The vermin cannot approach it from many sides, as the only available part is the trigger, and the problem of removing rodent carcass is automatically taken care of by replacing the revolver with a shotgun or a grenade.

If it's not relativistic it's not worth dick.

unlike rats other mice are actually getting even more curious if they see their dead relatives(or their parts) around something new that smells delicious
since they are pretty curious they will surely explore entire object, and eventually find a pathway... to their doom
general design of more efficient vermin traps
your system looks promising but what if human steps on the plate accidentally

>dead mice storage

That's what the sign is for. Alternatively, you could put a small pagoda over the pressure plate. More inviting for the mice and it lessens the risk of a human stepping on it as there's a cover above the plate. I like the image you posted, It seems like it would be really easy to jam though.

It's not. They're super reliable.

That's great then. Putting it in a basket of some sort if you want to use it indoors would work, can't expect scavengers to recover the body.

I didn't know mice were more curious when they sea dead brethren.

>spike crossbows up to 3500 shekels

we can go deeper and delve into electronics

Most efficient and cost effective mouse/rat catcher is the bucket trap. Its used all over the world.

Take a deep bucket and put a roller/dowel of whatever kind you want across the middle of the bucket with some kind of bait smeared or stuck to it. Make sure it spins freely and easily. Have a ramp up to the top so mice and rats can easily climb up top. They try to get on the rolling part and just fall into the water when it turns. They drown, and because it doesnt need to be reset its good to go again and again. People set these up on farms and can easily catch DOZENS of mice in a single night.

Is this a sequel to Bad Rats where you play as the cats and make rat traps?

Now show us how the virgin does it.

Fix yo rails nigga.

>overengineering games general
>offers the easiest and simplest design that will dump these contraptions and rats in the water
s-spoilsport

Well obviously you're gonna hook the whole thing up to a generator to electrocute and incinerate the rats as they drown.

Yeah. You put the thing a few inches off the ground,they crane their necks up into it to inspect, trips the hair-trigger and BLAM. They get cold-cocked by the captive bolt, fall down and out of the way, and it's ready for another customer.

Do we have to include the roller coaster and make them into lampshades?

the whole factory is a disaster

it's my first full playthrough so it taught me how to play the right way

That's not funny, my grandpa was gassed 3 times on that roller coaster.

don't forget to design the mouse masturbation machines

>oy vey!

that cute guy who engineers cool shit on youtubes house burnt down
youtube.com/watch?v=QbDuBTWrU-o

sadface

Very unfinished battleship
Going to have to make secondary guns that are pretty small compared to what I like to do for battleships, but I think it can work

there are actually electrostatic accelerators that can shoot little bits of dust to >100 km/s. The actual bit that does the acceleration isn't as big as that crazy railgun either
impact.colorado.edu/facilities.html#dal

Now the thing to do is use MORE POWAH! so that they can launch dust at a much higher rate and cut through ships with the devil's sand blaster.

Any MAV players that are still alive in /egg/?

I don't have it but I might buy it when I get money and don't have anything else taking priority. Is development still active?

Yep,still being actively developed

About to research rocket silo, so I guess I'm almost done with my first play through of factorio.

For my next one, instead of using a main bus, Im thinking of using trains to ship bunch of raw components to a central distribution centre, where bots will dostribute them aroundm from which trains will ship the necessary amount of raw materials to a bunch of smaller factories, each with their own local main busses. Intermediate products will bw shippid back to the distribution centre. Will this work out? What does /egg/ think?

Original idea donut steel

Latest patch was about two days ago iirc

Wrong meme arrow

>mouse's tension spring goes
>figure out the problem, open it up
>realize that I got no clue how to unfug a fug'd tension spring
rip

pics?

Go ahead and post about the engineering possible user.
:^)

I refuse to play Medival Engineers until they fix the ridiculous time it takes to upgrade your buildings. Creative doesn't interest me that much

>go ahead and post about the engineering possible
what did he mean by this?

>William trying to hold it together while sifting through the ashes of his home
Pic related.

I'm glad he managed to raise seven times what he asked for in 4 hours.
I really do hope he lands on his feet.

All the engineering-related things you can do in MAV! Such as...