Is silver a decent investment at this time? Someone offered me 115 ounces for 2,000

Is silver a decent investment at this time? Someone offered me 115 ounces for 2,000.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.gold-eagle.com/article/gold-price-forecast-correction-may-has-begun/592
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Investment? no
Hedge against inflation? yes
based on silver being currently $18 an ounce right now, you're saving $70 on that purchase. you won't even be paying over spot prices.
the best question is, what kind of silver is this person offering?

115 ounces for 2,000. That is a good deal if they are real.

Here is a chart for the current silver futures contract with 17.39 marked in green. You'd roughly be buying around the middle to the slightly lower end. It certainly cheaper than where it closed today, but silver could drop through the 17s and stay there for a long time. Funds are holding record long positions now and while that could be bullish, if they decide to dump there's not a lot of them there waiting to buy.

I was looking at buying silver from one of those online sites, but they were charging almost 3 dollars over spot. So getting them without the premium would be best.

That's a good point. I just checked and the 100 oz bars are at $1870, so this if you were already planning on buying this could be a pretty good price and if things start looking bad you would have a cushion to get out.

crypto bullion user, code is CBX
then after it explodes sell and buy 20x as much physical silverf

Why was there such a huge dump? It generally follows gold in price movement, and yet while gold rises, it just plummeted.

That's a yearly chart and it's not far off from the gold one. The first dump circled was just from regular price action. Silver had been trading above around 18.50 for 3-4 months and when it couldn't break higher it finally sold off. This roughly matches gold's consolidation above 1310 and breakdown. The 2nd dump was due to the election and also matched gold's sell off.

The prices in the early part of this graph are skewed higher because that futures contract wasn't active and still had a long way to expiration at the time.

Also, gold is recovering close to it's 1310 breakdown area similar to silver's recovery to 18.50.

Thanks a lot, you should take a look at this, news.gold-eagle.com/article/gold-price-forecast-correction-may-has-begun/592

Also, I was curious to know because I was shorting gold just before the bombing of Syria, to counteract my losses there, I went long silver, which seemed to be rising with gold. So you can probably get why I'm frustrated when gold doesn't drop in price, yet silver seems so willingly able to start following a downward trend.

Silver can be used as a rough proxy for gold and will generally mirror it on larger timeframes, but it has much larger industrial applications. So sometimes it will trend as a safe haven, inflation hedge precious metal and other times as an industrial metal and industrial metals are weak right now. They're similar markets, but I think they should be looked at individually and not interchangeably.

I think the situation with gold and silver will be a little clearer after the French elections this weekend.

As for the gold chart on , I think that $1190 is extremely optimistic on the downside. I think it would have a lot of trouble breaking through 1240-1250 unless a large sustained rally in the stock market occurs.

I don't follow silver as closely, but if it is going down it should find some temporary support around 17.30. Right now it is coming into the area it last found support, so we'll see if there are still buyers there.

You can't make any kind of profits on precious metals unless you know the world is going to end

you use it to keep your money out of inflated fiat currencies, might aswell just throw it into bitcoin or ethereum desu senpoi baka baka my senpai senpai famlian tbqhh

>Investment? no
\thread
metals are not investments they are insurance.
and like all insurance it's not worth it usually.

How do you know it real and you're not getting fucked?

silver is too cheap for high-end forgery. so basically all fakes will be hugely off in dimensions and sound.

gold is not on the other hand it's pretty much possible to make fake gold bars that can only be detected by ultrasound.

>gold is not on the other hand it's pretty much possible to make fake gold bars that can only be detected by ultrasound.

shitty forgeries will still be off in dimension. there will be all kinds of grades some straight up copper some gold plated but bars can be forged by hollowing them out and filling with tungsten and osmium which can average out the golds density perfectly and both much cheaper than gold. you need at least quarter inch thickness for totally fooling x-ray composition scanners tho. so big bars mostly. and ultrasound will still get it.

I've been collecting gold krugerrand for a couple years, but never tried selling them
what should I expect when I try to sell one
will a shop offer near the spot price?

dumbass here, why would the election cause a dip in gold prices? wouldnt it cause an increase as people scrambled to buy to protect against potential economic instability?

that's scary
I've only ever bought from gold shops, but shit like that is a risk to the whole market
so would you recommend just buying silver?
even loading up on old us quarters would be solid no one would fake old us currency

those things are usually copper maybe gold plated. their dimensions will be off. but if you buy online you can't check it before delivery. if you buy in a shop it's easy enough to see if they are real, just look up the bar you want to buy online.

>no one would fake old us currency
that's a big dumb mistake btw. the scammers love old coins and make an effort to make their forgeries look old for this very reason that stupid cucks think they are safe.

>old coins will be worn and or corroded = less detail
since forgeries never look exactly right it's easier to make them look worn and lacking details
>no modern security features on old coins
same as before really, less detail less complicated equipment means cheaper to make less likely to get caught.
>people think you can't fake the patina
it's pretty hard to make authentic patina passing expert examination but they will do alright with the fakes
>old silver is expected to be tarnished
the telltale unique color of silver bullion you can't really reproduce with other metals is neatly sidestepped

they are only like 90% gold so you won't get spot for sure.

>wouldnt it cause an increase as people scrambled to buy to protect against potential economic instability?
At least in gold, that was the initial reaction as shorts covered and others bought in to the unexpected Trump win. The unexpected win got factored in and his policies were pro business, so the place to be was in equities and the dollar and not in bonds. All three do not support gold and the selloff in bonds was probably the largest factor in golds decline.

If it's .999, buy all he's got.

It could get raped if they raise interest rates again

Silver and Gold prices are gonna plummet when companies start mining asteroids next year. It's not a good investment.

why? it's basically spot. not an insanely good deal.

Hey, OP here. Thank you for the advice everyone. After thinking it over I ended up opting out. I realize 2000 is below the current value but I started getting paranoid about prices dropping. If medicaid gets tanked or the housing market starts to shit the bed again I'll buy in

Chase banks seems to think so by buying it all up, and having the people who leave it in their care not have access to it as easily.