Can we get a frugal faggot thread going?

Can we get a frugal faggot thread going?

How to save money info graphs welcome edition.

My tip: if you're renting, sharehouse it. I've done that for 2 years now and just dropped a 20% deposit on a house

What a waste of cups, you can just pop them out once they're frozen

frozen soup tastes like shit

I'm not super frugal, but I do like to eat good for cheap. Here's some advice:

First, buy a kryovac machine. You can freeze soup in a kryovac, Also tupperware works fine too. Rather than spend $2 on cups and bags, just shop a wholesaler (big lots, ocean state job lot, etc) and buy good tupperwear for $1 a piece. Then you can freeze soup if you choose.

Buy a chest freezer / have a big freezer. Shop sales.

I go to a wholesale butcher and get meat a lot. But often normal stores do fine. I find early saturday morning they have steak thats gonna expire on monday super cheap. I buy 4 pounds, and then grill it all that day, and eat leftover steak Sunday -Wednesday (the days I work). Grill it rare rare so when you microwave it at work, it comes out medium.

Also good steak is rediculously over priced. Porterhouse is my favorite cut, but its like $12.99 a pound. Find a good sale, buy like $30 worth, and freeze it. Last time I bought Porterhouse it was on sale for $5 a pound, and was buy two get one. So thats $3.33 a pound. Most people buy three steaks. screw that, I bought 15 pounds. I can litterally eat a pound of steak a day for half a month for like $50. Buy potatoes, rice, and veggies bulk, and you have a legit meal for about $4, and your eating your favorite cut of steak.

Next Pork. I swear stores give away pork. You can get pork shoulder for $0.79 a pound on sale. But you gotta buy like 10 pounds at a whack. Freeze it in two pound bags.

"But pork shoulder tastes like crap" So? Make it taste good.

I make my own marinades (I make my own maple syrup, then combine a ton of shit, thats all wicked cheap. You get rubs and spices for $1 a piece at a wholesale store. Then learn what you like. Then just keep dumping that shit on while you grill. It tastes great, and you spend about $3 a meal.

Chicken. If you cant eat healthy and cheap off chicken you got issues. Most butchers sell chicken quarters for $.50 a pound. Two is more than a meal. Make your own stuffing. Cook it with cheap stuff (cheap salad dressing in a crock pot, etc). Theres no excuse to say "I cant eat healthy cheap" if you like chicken

designate one day a week to go out to eat

My last post (unless you guys have questions, want recipes, etc), Cheap Steak. So your steak reserves ran out, or there's just a good sale on cheap steak. You can get london broil for $2 a pound on sale sometimes.

But its terrible steak. So take it, at room tempature pour sea salt on a plate. Cover it with a paper towel. Throw the steak on top for an hour a pound, and flip. Then hit it with the meat tenderizer. Marinade. Enjoy!

I like to cut it up into little cubes, and cook it in a wok with pepers and onions and put it over rice. I make my own terryaki sauce, but you can get it pretty cheap pre made. Comes out to a great asian meal for under $4.

Anyways, point being if you wanna save some money and be healthier, if your someone who spends money on fast food, cafe food, etc. You can eat legit good food for like half as much. Even if you cant cook or dont enjoy cooking, give it a try. I actually love cooking now.

I also enjoy having bbq's and stuff. I can feed like 10 people for $40 eating ribs, steak, cubed pork, chicken, and sides. So for cheaper than 3 people going out to dinner, we all chill and I make a spread of like 5 different things. Ive made a lot of mistakes, and I made a lot of bad food learning (I once tried precooking 15 pounds of chicken so I could freeze it and have lunch for a month, and I put in too much balsamic and it tasted like crap, so I had to throw it all out. 7 Chickens sacrificed their lives for my mistakes that day) but rather than making some crap stew and freezing it, learn to shop and use that grill

Do a research about fasting. I would suggest a book called The Complete Guide to Fasting by jimmy moore.

Thanks for the posts dude, all great to know

> pic

That's retarded.

> make homemade soup
> pour it into yogurt containers
> put on the lid
> freeze it
> no need to throw out a cup
> reuse the yogurt container after the soup's gone

IHBT

Maybe im too uppity but freezing meat usually ruins the texture and flavor, so fuck that shit.

It really doesn't.

Odds are much of the meat you eat that is "never frozen" was actually frozen. (Google what constitutes frozen meat by the fda. I do food distribution for a living. I see it all the time).

When the cells of red meat expand from freezing there should be enough space between the membranes where it doesn't affect anything. Ideally the protein should be breaking apart anyways. That's what makes the texture good.

If you freezer burn or do it wrong then yes. It's bad. But 99% of the time you don't notice a difference

What about general living advice?

Also: do any of you pricks have mortage advice.

rice
red lentils
potatos
eggs
milk
oats
frozzen veggies
meat at 50% off

that stuff is cheap as fuck, you can eat a lot for low cost, it has everything you really need.

> but the taste is boooooring
well fuck you then, that's 90% of my meals as a Veeky Forumsizen in college.
I'm always amazed how students cry that they have no money for food but spending the money at stupid stuff.

What specific mortgage advise do you want?

One thought, is if you have a rate under 4%, rather than put extra money toward your mortgage, take the extra payment and invest it for a 6% return. After your investment matures, pay the original amount toward principal, and let the 2% compound. (I just started doing this this year).

I have $2000 I would have put toward mortgage, instead I'll make an extra $400 over 36 months. In three year when it matures I'll put the 2K against the mortgage, but keep the $400 (which is reinvested at 7% ). In ten years I'll have about 15K or so saved, which is about how much I'll have left on my mortgage. Then I'll pay it off then

Suck dick for money, get free Bro-tein.

I bought a bunch of pyrex dishes with lids, cook a ton of food on sunday and fill em up, freeze em and each night put whatever food I need in the fridge to thaw, it is great having meals ready to go instead of getting fast food and junk

Also I bought a counter top grill and it is fucking awesome. Learn how to use spices too you can make anything taste good that way.

I go to a buffet and fill a duffel bag with food once or twice a week.

Literally get a week's worth of food in one pop.

Does no one tell you to stop doing that?

You're not factoring tax into either side of the equation

They don't notice.

yeah maybe if you sit at home all day on Veeky Forums not doing anything you don't have to eat. but for normal human beings who work you're gonna feel like shit if you don't put something on your stomach

Kek, I have a friend who used to do this all the time. Do they not question why you constantly bring a bag with you?

It's not like a garbage bag, man. It's just a duffelbag that people would normally carry around to store things in.

I am. Lets do some simple math.

If you have a 3.5% APR mortgage, and put $2000 a year extra (each year) toward the mortgage, you'll save $3,850 in interest at the end of the 10 years. That's $3,850 that you cant write off on your taxes, so with an effective tax rate of 20%, you are saving $3.080 off your mortgage.

With investing and a lump payment at the end of 10 years, you pay that extra $3,850 in interest, which means you can write it off on your taxes. Principal is not taxed in investments, and at 7% interest compounding at the end of 10 years you have $29,567 (investing $2,000 each year). When you withdraw that you'll pay $1,913 in taxes. You'll have the $20K you put in, plus $7,653 after you pay the taxes.

So in both scenarios, you're paying your last mortgage payment 10 years from now. However investing, you'll pay your last payment and have an addition $4,573 left over.

So basically you save, after tax, $457 a year by investing.

Now this can only be done if you have a low mortgage rate, have a safe investment (corporate bonds, peer to peer lending, etc), and have a definitive time when you know your investment will outweigh what remains on your mortgage.

I buy whole pieces direct from the abattoir, cut, vac seal then freeze. This won't yield steaks as good as if you selected individually every time but it saves me something like 30% vs the local (expensive) butcher, I can also cut ridiculous sized pieces privately without people finding out how retarded I am.

As for budget cuts I'm sure we all know they can be prepared in some way that will produce a delicious result, I like slow cooked stews over the winter which can be frozen using the cup method

So do you have tons of separate containers? How do you scrap the food off your plate into these containers and no one notices? Unless it's some off the side booth where no one has vision?

In my particular instance I go to a pizza buffet which makes it much easier.

But otherwise yeah I have tupperware containers for food at different buffets.

Wrong

It really doesn't

These threads are always fucking retarded, you simply cannot give someone else advice unless you know their situation intimately

>My tip: if you're renting, sharehouse it.

Yeah but then you have some asshole in your house. Now you cant sleep and wake up when you want to, you cant use your facilities like the kitchen and bathroom immediately when you want to, its never worth it unless you are some super normie reddit fag like OP who buys books about being frugal and thinks the ideas are amazing