/gdg/ - Grim Dawn General

Rage, Rage against the dying of the light edition.

>official forums [resources lower right]
grimdawn.com/forums

>steam store page
store.steampowered.com/app/219990

>build planner
grimtools.com/calc

>item db
grimtools.com/db

>wikis
grimdawn.gamepedia.com/Grim_Dawn_Wiki
grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Grim_Dawn_Wiki

>updated resist reduction doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vw7I9fTSqtx9s3a4WVvkgiOGZ7leM81n1H1RrwrOzLc/edit#gid=0

>mods
www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/
www.moddb.com/games/grim-dawn

>can't launch/black screen
Be sure to install everything (manually) from _CommonRedist folder in game steamapps folder.
If still no go, then in steam library right click game name > additional launch options add /d3d9 (force use of DirectX 9)

>map
the-maphack.com/index.php?page=2&lang=en#1

If this thread dies I won't make another and we will be banished to the abyss.

It was fun when it was lasted.

Other urls found in this thread:

grimtools.com/calc/nZoWl3zZ
grimtools.com/calc/4ZDMd9wN
grimtools.com/calc/b28nYRqZ
grimtools.com/calc/YNngKAd2
grimtools.com/calc/eZPzDpm2
grimtools.com/calc/4NOQxwdV
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65464
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw can't make a character without spending an hour in the crucible getting 10 devotion points

grimtools.com/calc/nZoWl3zZ

Get GD Stash, do it once, and turn it into a blank.

>m-muh legit purity
Then stfu and stop bitching about it.

>2 dead threads in one morning
its time

>how to kill a thread by being a cunt 101

GDstash is fucking shit and doesn't work for me., Otherwise believe me, I'd have a level 18 blank character with 10 devotion points.

"No!"

Grim Dawn is ultimately convoluted. You have redundant shit like armor piercing and physical to piercing conversion; as well as avoidance through high DA and dodge/deflect. It doesn't make the building deeper, it's just redundant shit. On top of that you have class mastery rather than just boosting stats based on class selection as you level up, which in 99% of builds means setting aside 100 skill points for mastery; again, making 30% of your skill points from leveling up redundant. Then we get into the skill lines. Requiring upwards of 30 points to complete a skill line isn't deep, it's just annoyingly cramped. Sure, there are instances wherein you forego skills in a line, but they're so few and far between that it's not worth the tradeoff.

Then we get to the convoluted item system with damage conversions and skill modifiers trying to haphazardly stitch diametrically different classes together and open up build options. It's a headache just to take inventory of what's available; yet at the same time a failed system as you're unlikely to find gear to support your damage conversions in a way that matches doing the same build with a different damage type; for example, elemental cadence vs physical cadence.

I'm using D2 as a point of comparison, because it's still a more competent game. Grim Dawn would to well with more "+1 to all skills" given its gimmick of class combinations and skill hardcapping at +10 overcap.

>GD stash doesn't work for me
>I'm too retarded to follow simple steps and run GD stash

Frankly, I'm glad that you're suffering, idiot.

>hurrdurr i'm a fucking faggot please rape my face

Literally followed the read me and what they say to do online and it fucks up the import every single time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times.

>how does java work

That's literally all there is to it. Make sure you've installed the appropriate java, and uninstall the wrong java. Holy shit, how do people find this difficult.

how the fuck do I make a melee cold build, a lot of items I have in my stash for it support nightblade/arcanist but how do I even start with that shit

wear your cold items
get cold damage and cold rr skills
kick some ice
bonus points for doing a cold aar build and naming your character victor

you could also look at inquisitor, even without the gun skills
it has good elemental support and hag rune is extremely strong right now

There's one item in the game that lets you make a cold AAR build, but that doesn't stop the build from sucking dicks day in and day out. AAR builds are fucking garbage.

A good coldbreaker focuses on ABB and SS; play hit and run on bosses.

>beast dungeon
>just enter and use a skeleton key
>SoT
>Valbury
>BoC
>fix the bridge, costing 40 scraps and 40k
>enter and use a skeleton key

?????????
why do i have to scrap up the fucking bastion of SHIT

>start ultimate
>legendaries everywhere
this is gonna be good

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Grim Dawn. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical player’s head. There’s also Ulgrim’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The gamers understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Grim Dawn truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the power of the proc skill of "Light of Empyrion," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Zantai’s genius wit unfolds itself on the forums. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Grim Dawn tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

>set up my retaliation build to afk farm crucible
>enemy AI is too retarded to attack me
>will literally shoot a wall instead of shooting me
>will just not move from the spawn point

Jesus fucking christ, this game.

>have an item giving fear
>mobs run to the corner of the spawnpoint

Is trove farming still the best way to grab any particular recipe, or do some recipes have better chances of dropping in particular places?

Crucible seems designed to violently shit out any recipes that you're still missing.

I have better luck getting recipes from SoT or nemesis troves than I do with regular troves at this point

What do you think is the worst combo?
What about Necro/Inquisitor
Or Necro/Demo

Nothing with necro in it, necro can carry any combination on its own
My vote still goes to saboteur

I just theorycrafted a defiler with 3500 OA and Vitality to Fire conversion. I suspect it would be decent.

Are the servers down?

I can't join any friends' games

no gdstash required

nice

thanks man, proud of it

chausses of barbaros dropped from crown hill exalt too

This game really is dead, isn't It?

PoE just released a new league so people jumped ship.

Can Wordeater drop from crucible?

Worldeater can only drop from Shar'Zul, and he doesn't appear in crucible, so no. Only in the Bastion of Chaos Challenge Dungeon

Too bad. I finally got around to updating my ebin meme.

will AoM legendaries only drop from AoM areas? Also how good is witchblade if I just want to hit things to death with cadence?

AoM legendaries drop anywhere so long as you're at the right level. And Occultist gives you attack speed, OA, and phys rr, so it's a pretty good secondary class for a cadence build.

Here's a pretty solid Phys Cadence Witchblade I made
grimtools.com/calc/4ZDMd9wN
That being said, it's not 100% optimized, if you want you can take 18 points out of Occ to invest in other skills, I just left those points in for Health/Energy/Attribute stats

Why would you take a good commando and turn it into a shitty witchblade?

What? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about

>kind of want to do arcanor tactician
>3 out of my 4 characters would be soldiers then

You slap that gear on a commando and you have a stronger character. The appeal of witchblade is only partially the blood of dreeg boosts and frailty. A witchblade with voidsteel gauntlets and based around chaos/vit will play the same as what you've made (Cadence build) and be far superior. If you're not planning to the strengths of a class, it's not a good subclass. Through commando you have temper and vindictive flame and grenado and just more internal trauma/physical skills. There's no sense in making a pure physical witchblade.

I updated the gear a bit and added Counter-Strike since I realized it's been since 1.0.2.1 since I touched the character, but I also converted it into a commando
Witchblade:
grimtools.com/calc/b28nYRqZ
Commando:
grimtools.com/calc/YNngKAd2
Honestly they're close, it's a minor drop in damage, but maybe a bit bigger improvement in survivability due to Blast Shield and Flashbang.
There's no real reason to take Grenado unless you're making a build that mainly uses Grenado, the point investment isn't worth it. With both Cadence Commando and Witchblade I would take the second class for their support skills, and I took Witchblade for the attack speed, phys rr, and Blood of Dreeg, going Commando increases the point distribution, leading to a slightly more strained point economy.
The fact that my witchblade clears pretty well and holds its own in ultimate/glad crucible means that it works.
I also took the time to make a Voidsteel/Chaos Witchblade, and I while I see where you're coming from, most of your damage comes from Hungering Void, if there's any point where Hungering Void drops off your damage drops far below the phys Witchblade
grimtools.com/calc/eZPzDpm2

spellbreaker or reaper if i want to use soulrend?

could do either maybe? One current meme is to run Soulrend on a Shadow Strike Spellbreaker.

Why are you taking counter strike outside of a retaliation build, or without Menhir's Bastion? It's peanuts of damage that you won't even notice, those are wasted points. Also, cap out vindictive flame and you have just as much attack speed from demo. You don't need Ulzuin's Wrath, you're not supporting fire or lightning damage. As well, it's not rule of law that you cap out mastery to 50/50. Most of the time it's better, but in this build you're losing more than you gain if you're point squeezed.

As for your witchblade, half your gear is still focused on physical damage. You need to gear for chaos damage, of which there's a lot of supporting gear. Furthermore, the devotions should be defensively/regen focused on the way to tier 3 rather than picking up spots of chaos damage, and find a way to grab the flat chaos damage in dying god.

It's the only good class in the game.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about
Arcanist has inner focus, IEE crit damage, maiven's, mirror, cold boosting exclusive and trozan's if i want to go full meme
Necro does have bone harvester though, guess I'll check if there's any cold/vit gear to support it

Counter Strike is free damage, and I only put 1 point into it anyways. I also generally use it as an extra buff spot to put defensive devotions when needed. Shifting points around this is what I changed for the commando
grimtools.com/calc/4NOQxwdV
If you'd like to show me what gear will give bonuses to Cadence and Chaos up to 26/16 I'd love to see them, as well as the flat phys damage will be converted to Chaos either by Hungering Void or the Gauntlets.
As for Devotions, I'm honestly not too great at it, but I picked up Solael's for RR, Chariot for defenses, and the rest was literally just to try and get to both Dying God and Hungering Void

I should note that yes I know about Servitor's Corrupter, I still don't think it's enough

It turns out Soulrend is one of the few items that has both cold and vit damage on it

Correct, plus it enables you to use the 2h modifier on Bone Harvest if you choose to go that route, where you sacrifice range for damage

2h mace, obsidian juggernaut, 45%+ conversion to chaos; modifier on SW for 15% conversion; myth ruby of gar'dal for 10% conversion; seal of the void component for 10% conversion to chaos. That's a minimum 85% physical to chaos conversion. There's also Eldritch Gaze to turn Blade Arc into a chaos damage skill.

I have a 2h witchblade with 2760% boosted chaos damage and a 22/16 Cadence; which isn't as good as 26/16, but it's still good.

>2h
Well that's another build all together. Honestly I wanted the Witchblade to be as close to retard-proof as possible so I went 1h+board to give me the shitton of defense a shield and Overguard provides me.
If I went 2h that actually frees up another ~10-15 points from Shield Training and Overguard to focus on damage so I totally get where you're coming from.
Lemme just say the Commando is a pretty good idea, but I am satisfied with my build. It does well, but you have given me some insights I hadn't thought about.
Sorry if I came off as a fuckmunch at all, too used to dealing with retards in the thread like the dude who believes that Aether DK is shit because it doesn't use Internal Trauma, or the guy who said 2h is always worse than 1h+Shield ALWAYS.

Well, DK is awful without Krieg's set, which helps to pump up the IT damage from Soldier skills and has an amalgamation of aether additives and conversions. Soldier and Necro just couldn't be more different in terms of damage types; they only overlap in pierce damage and only because of a portion of bone harvest.

As for 2h vs 1h; for melee sword and board is stronger for the "idiot proof" feature. It also always seems to be the case that if you see a 2h build, then you're also seeing Soldier, which makes the case for "it'd be better with a shield" all the more legitimate. The only real contender is Warder, and only because of 2h specific skills that are also very good. I've tried a lot of 2h variants, and the sword and board always performs better for about 30% less sheet DPS. Taking improved proc rates into account, the damage difference isn't obvious in practice.

Do I have to make a new character to kill Anasteria if I've already chosen to save her or is there a way to grind down my outcasts rep?

There are several 2h builds that exist purely because the bonuses they give are good for the build, like Soulrend SS Spellbreaker, Death's Reach AIDSmancer, Shar'Zul's Pyro, etc. Of course those aren't exactly fair comparisons, since the builds literally don't work without those items, but 2h definitely has its place.

You have to make a new character.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

>Soldier + anything
>awful
It doesn't matter what secondary mastery you pick, or how much you invest it. Soldier is mostly self-sufficient, and is always serviceable at worst. Don't forget how early meme Witchblades were literally just Soldiers with Curse + Blood of Dreeg.

>builds that literally don't work without specific items
>AIDSmancer
Death's Reach isn't even best in slot, what the fuck are you talking about

You get to choose again in Elite & Ultimate difficulties. If you're already that far, you're fucked.

>Death's Reach not best in slot
If you're going for a spread-the-DoT-to-everything it is

>This guy is still going on about IT in Krieg's set
Bad meme baka

Btw, what do you think BiS is for it, Fang and Skull?

Not the other guy(s) but I think Fang is not necessary or even BiS. Boneblade MI already covers the damage, res reduction. Roll good prefix/suffix and it should cover the percentage damage as well.

Literally anything else. Death's Reach has a lot of damage, some health, and good skill bonuses, but that's literally all it grants that is useful.
>+3 seconds duration
Is relevant how exactly? Do you cast it once and run away? Vitality builds are so busted, you don't even need good gear to just run in, tag everything, and survive through lifesteal alone. You can just tank and recast, and if tough enemies appear, literally what is so hard about recasting again 6 seconds later? Same deal with Black Death being a waste of points. There is no reason to extend the duration on Bloody Pox. You drop one point in it, and forget about it.

So what do you use?
Anything with resistance reduction would be a good start. Fang is pretty good. Morguul's is usable. Contagion is a good offhand. Also shields. If you're too much of a pussy to run in as a caster, equip a Lichguard or an Untouchable and thank me later.

>There's no sense in making a pure physical witchblade.
I know everyone here hates forum builds and all, but come on man
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65464

>links a nonsense build that will purged from the game with nerfs to beronath

>tfw no Valdaran lego that gives his teleport swap skill

Does pox health reduction stack with war cry?

Also is blood of dreeg ok to have for the healt regen even if I don't run poison?

Health reduction applies to a monster's current health and works similar to damage, it's not a debuff. Thus, there is no "stacking", but rather, consecutive application. However, most bosses are immune to it.

Yes, and this is a common theme in GD. A number of skills and items have redundant stuff on them that you might not actually care about, but still want to use the skill/item because it has other really nice stats. Blood of Dreeg is a good skill example, because the regen and offensive ability it grants are both immense. For an item example look at Wyrmscale Treads, which are useful on basically any character for the resistances, DA, and amazing defensive proc, while having virtually useless skills attached to them.

Can you do a drain essence focused build now and suck people dry or does it crash on bosses?

>being this retarded
it's ok to be wrong user. Phys s/b cadence witchblades have always been better than phys commandos, only until aom released did commando catch up. But please, feel free to spout more shit sub 200 hourer

>tfw no aleksander lego that gives you instagib meteor

>sub 200 hourer
And here I thought elitism in this game couldn't get more pathetic.

Drain Essence is pretty good, probably the best of the channeling skills (AAR, Flames, DE) since it has a kind of "AOE" effect at higher levels of Hunger Reach and sustain.

Make sure you use Haunt (-8% life leech res) and Rattosh constellation (another -8%) to sustain against bosses.

It's kind of dependent on having both Decomposition and Drain Essence overcapped to do a lot of damage however, so epics and rares are needed. The good news is that those are plentiful.

There's short of a split late game between which direction you want to go with DE: aether based (arcanist, using the witch faction's legendary gun) or vitality based (shaman, requires dreadwalker set).

Do some skills have higher crit chance than others (like shadow strike) or do they all share the same global crit chance?

Crit chance comes from OA, and is calculated from comparing your OA to the enemy's DA, so everything has the same crit chance.

Anyone want to trade me the new outcast secret hood so that I don't have to make a new character to get it?

>try it again
>still can't edit anything because the tool is shit and the troubleshooting is literally non existent

wooooooooow

There's a new one?

A level 94 one.

>works for thousands of other players
>you still fuck it up somehow

I'm sure the tool is the issue.

>there is a step by step process included in the installation
>it gives alternatives for every conceivable problem
>there's no troubleshooting
>you give no information on what is going wrong for you other than "the tool is shit"
I'm going to have to say you ran into the all too common "ID-Ten-T" error, have you even increased your heap size?
Did the import even go through properly?
Do you have enough RAM freed to even run the import process?

>spellscourge bulwark
>shield that converts aether damage to phys damage to devastation
>devastation requires a caster off-hand to use
Am I missing something?

the shield has a hidden skill mod that removes he requirement if you have it equipped. So it's a caster off hand or that specific shield

what is the default save pathway (without cloud saving on)

It says in the config doc but here:
C:\Users\\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save

The OA and phys res from it are also good.

Chaos witch blade; shield or 2h weapon?

2h. Obsidian Juggernaut. See earlier in the thread for discussion about it

What are the best/flashiest looking devotion procs?
I hate how bland pierce/physical procs are.

Flashiest looking imo is probably Meteor, Reckless Tempest, or Hand of Ultos

RIP ded thred ded game

my dk is almost to ult outcast, if i get a second this afternoon ill trade any other 94 legend for it