/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Elfaboo edition

Previous thread →

PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.02, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=43aj3ag3H1c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>all adamantine armor
>adamantine weapon
>legendary in all combat skills
>superhuman in most stats
>go into a necro tower
>literally 150 corpses
>oh fuck oh fu-
>you are deceased

>Not taking them out one by one or scaling the tower on the outside to take out the necromancers first

YASD

I thought I was more powerful than I was. It turns out that in DF even gods can be killed if there are enough enemies.

Just like real life.

>puny dwarf in girly blue armor
>god
laughing_zombie_elephant_girls.engraving

What artefacts do you like to get most?

Adamantine hammers and maces.

lead swords

Any furniture for the dining room.

hows stability of 44.02?

havent played in a long time (i think since df2014 or maybe 16). i used to autism out with therapist but from memory it was becoming fairly unmaintained so i think i'll make peace with letting my dwarves do whatever jobs they come with this playthrough

platinum armor

>this is a masterwork cavy boar cheese, it menaces with spikes of elk cheese, it is covered in bands of cat cheese

Can you actually milk cats in DF? I've never tried.

I like stuff made of bone so I can make my fort spooky, I like giving my dwarves bone beds to sleep on

How are my duchess her quarters?

Haha I like that

>1 tile thick walls

nice huge rectangles

Thanks I have a fetish for squares.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing, if you have Down's Syndrome.

>1 tile thick walls
the value of the smooth wall or engravings on it only applies on the side the engraver stood on when he made it.

>rectangles
purely an aesthetic issue. if you think it looks good, go for it, but don't get surprised when other players think it looks ugly.

/dfg/ is inhabited by the autists of the DF community. So they're even compared to the average DF player incredibly autistic.
Whenever someone criticises the aesthetic of effectiveness of your fort it's ome of those given that you didn't totally botch it.

Ah okay I don't engrave walls anyways since you can't erase non-masterworks. Yeah rectangles don't look so good but they're easy...

lol okay

trannyposter fuck off

Stop bringing trannies into every fucking thing, I get enough of that in real life, I don't need to in my comfy drunk midget fighting ring simulator

so someone in the last thread told me that you can asign other intelligent races as pets in this new version, and that you can milk them and shit, if both races' biomes coincide, at least

How does the game understand this? are they slaves? can they be/become citizens of your civ

help please, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this

really? are you american or something, because here in spain it is barely talked for now

>really? are you american or something, because here in spain it is barely talked for now
This is not general-relevant discussion. There's no need to indulge this subject further.

Im sorry, not-even-a-janitor-police agent, I was just genuinely curious about my fellow user poster affairs
I'll try not to derive from allowed-to-talk subjects in the future

>There's no need to indulge this subject further.

I agree to your request

Now why the hell do lashes go through steel armor like butter and is there some sort of lash defense I can have my army wear? Because one human lasher just ripped through my small but heavily armed squad like butter

Should I just say fuck it and mix in crossbows so I don't have to deal with them?

Good. You do that.

install mods that fix the broken combat

Any recommendations? I could just start trying stuff but if there's a general consensus that a certain mod is the least busted I'd rather start with that

I like the the historical whatever one. It changes the weapons and armor.

Are you sure Ond

Are you sure

You can edit whips yourself easily enough, they're in item_weapon in raw/objects. Whips are the very first entry.

The reason they're so fucking OP is because they have size 1 contact area+5000 fucking velocity. I genuinely don't know what Toady was thinking.

Adding in a larger contact area and less velocity would make them a lot more reasonable. Inversely, mauls have a similar issue which is what makes them suck - too high contact area (100 I think)+too low velocity to compensate (2000, same as other non-whip blunt weapons).

Typical argument on the Veeky Forums

>dark pits
>Dark fortress
But also
>Dark goblin pits
>Dark goblin fortress

Why?

If the race name isn't in there, it means the site is abandoned/ruined.

I also dark human fortresses.
What's that about?

Humies took over the fortress.

single donkey leather socks with spikes of birch

can somebody tell me how do I set this shit up so he just keeps 50 barrels made?
with current settings I'm reaching 200 barrels and the carpenter doesn't seem to stop

nevermind figured it out myself

what was the solution?

I've had the actual job set to produce infinite amounts of barrels and shit
setting it to produce 5, and then check daily if there's less than 50 barrels fixed the problem

thanks

Would you rather fight a giant karp or play hide and seek with a blind cave oger?

what font is that?

One from Wanderlust

>Titan composed of snow in the form of a blob

>Tropical Savannah suffering under a drought and heat.

This is such a disappointment,, and its my first titan for my first cave fort too.

Play hide and seek with a blind cave ogre.

He was just trying to be nice and cool your dwarves off a little.

He got beaten to a pulp by the local child gang hanging around my gate,doing mischief .

Climb up and skyhammer the zombies.

I hope those children will honor his noble sacrifice by having a snowball fight until his body melts.

Does decreasing temperature stop existing fire? I wanna make interaction that causes dorf to emit really fucking cold liquid to stop fires.

You want dwarves to sweat liquid nitrogen?

>Not assigning two trained gaurdsdwarves with pikes at the entrance.

>Toss Dwarf into Ocean

>Lord Gobbo the third can now cross the Menacing Ocean with his army to conquer the last free Dwarven City

great idea Einstone

what do these roots symbols next to the equipments mean? that he is equiped with that?

Yes. Think of it as a checkmark.

I was fucking around in the entities defines and generating small worlds to see the changes, and got this nightmare. Positives: no elves. Negatives: Dwarves are all but extinct with only 7 survivors, of the three surviving human nations, the largest is actually ruled by goblins, and the second largest is ruled by a vampire.

Remember, it can always be worse.

he who dwarfs is himself dwarved.

You know what to do
youtube.com/watch?v=43aj3ag3H1c

dwarf ye not dwarves lest ye become dwarf

gib raw

How do I get water into moat

So when I "accidentally" dropped a dwarf into this pit they just slipped right out!

How do I build walls that arent pillars and actually seal the place off

>releasing over the holiday jammed me up a bit, and there's a talk in Montreal coming up, so the ball will be a little slow to start rolling
If he's implying that he has social things to do during the holidays then Toady's much less autistic than I thought
Also what is the talk about? Anything interesting?

Best artifact I've ever gotten was an adamantine battle axe. The dwarves know it's awesome too, because half of the artifacts created since then have an image of it on them.

Not quite, it means the dwarf recognizes the item exists. If the uniform isn't set to replace clothing, it's possible they have checkmarked gauntlets but are actually not wearing them because they're already wearing gloves.

Yeah always go for "replace clothing" if you don't want your army having their hands chopped off because they were wearing silk gloves instead of their steel gauntlets

And then it was abandoned? Are we sure that's the reason for the "dark"in the name?

"dark fortress" is a goblin-style fortress
"fortress" is a dwarf-style fortress

It's possible for humans or even dwarves to take control of dark fortresses, after killing the goblins (and demon) that once controlled it.

What do goblins make their fortresses out of? How are they structured?

Trenches, small towers, and one giant tower made of slade that might have a demon in it.

Many are the perils of hamlet life.

But here, its mostly pack hunting therapods. Lost a good five men in battle against them, but migrants have made up for the losses. I'd build a wall but it'd get in the way of expansion.

Literally just
>Made from x, with bands of y & x
I never get cool images or massively detailed ones

>Just looked at the job manager screen for the first time properly
Well it's been a while since this game has overwhelmed me

the pillars work exactly the same way as walls. if we assumed the entire area had a roof, it'd be airtight.

the dorf probably climbed out. I can't tell more than that unless you show exactly where the hole is and how deep the drop is.

how do i raid with squads anyway

So there was a werepanda outbreak.

>huge rectangle rooms
>4x4 stairs
>2x2 bedrooms in fucking sand
>unnecessarily big farms
>more stillls than you'll ever use at a time, yet not a single kitchen or farmer's workshop
is this bait?

>huge rectangle rooms
>4x4 stairs
I am inexperienced at fortress mode and just doing whatever works

>2x2 bedrooms in fucking sand
That's basically the poor house, the main village is aboveground, see pic. Everything belowground is meant to be a warehouse or for storing overpopulation.

>unnecessarily big farms
>more stillls than you'll ever use at a time, yet not a single kitchen or farmer's workshop
This species only needs to drink so I've decided to make a brewery that imports the excess.

*exports the excess

How come my dwarfs wont put on their damn boots or gaunlets.

Do I need to make it so they replace clothing?

>the main village is aboveground,
What the hell kind of dwarf are you?

They're a race of primitive, violent barbarians, not dorfs, so I thought it was appropriate. Building fancy underground metropolises is for clever types, which they are not.

Yep that will do it.

Oh.
Carry on then.

>haven't played for a few days
>load up fort
>dwarven merchants are at the depot
>assume I saved after trading with them and dismiss the broker
>they leave a few weeks later
>t over the deport
>all my spiked wooden balls and totems are still there
>never traded

pretty sure i'm about to get receive an artifact adamantine crutch. great stuff. or can dwarves produce something outside of their likes too?

what a delightful subversion of expectations

>meanwhile, the crippled vet is still limping around on 0 legs
into the lava with the hammer and the creator

and it literally menaces with spikes of rough prase and tetrahedrite. it's funny when i think back how mildly disappointed i was when i found out he liked crutches. but i guess it could've been a bow or quern too.