Engineer here who could use a little help

>engineer here who could use a little help

I'm almost 30 years old

>New job
>Been here over a month
>Not much training going on since everyone is busy
>Sitting on my ass
>Learning as I go
>Been told by my manager to just sit on meetings, travel to different cities and learn the configurations as I go
>I'm a network engineer from another company and came to this one with no training
>Contract is up in June
>I might actually be out of a job and I really don't know what to do since they are not providing real training in this role
>Ask my manager what I can help with and what I should be doing and pretty much no work is being given to me as of yet
>I'm making 6k a month just sitting on my ass right now, and I don't know if I will continue to work here as my contact is up in June

just stay until june and take the 12k$ you mong. whats the matter with you?

start jobhunting now. lucky you the market is as hot as can be. WSJ today pu lished job demand report and engineers had highest demand and lowest supply by a longshot.

invest 100% of your saving into POSW in the meantime

I want to stay at this company, and renegotiate for over six figures, if they agree to that I'm working at this company for minimum 5-years

I have two recruiters contacting me in June to look at other opportunities, I am also getting ready to send out my resumes in May. If i am honest with myself, I have actually been hit up for interviews/requests recently and have passed on them...

bump

>want to stay in company
>renegotiate to SIX figures
>not contributing
>need training to learn

umm.. am I missing something? If you're not some sort of expert in your field why do you think you deserve a six figure salary? If you are, why do you need training?

You're almost 30. How long have you been working? If you want to stick around, you need to be aggressively seeking assignments. Otherwise, how are you working for your paycheck?

If you have a lot of free time you need to be working on your skills. Set up a vm and get some of your skills up. Also, books on pdf make it look like your working. You can always say you did x at your old job even if it was on a vm.

>If you're not some sort of expert in your field why do you think you deserve a six figure salary? If you are, why do you need training?
There are a million ways to do something and companies always have their own specific methodologies. Doesn't matter if your an expert you need a month minimum to get up to speed, in fact I would say the more expertise and specialization the more time to familiarize yourself with a particular project.

Otherwise just prepare for the worst I guess. Try to create a list of things you've accomplished (even just participated in meeting xyz) assuming you want to stay and renegotiate.

>network engineer
The term you're looking for is "IT guy" you poser

OP I have been in your situation. Be more proactive and look for little ways to improve work flow for your team, colleagues, or nearby teams. If you take initiative make sure you aren't fucking anything up.

I am also in networks, mind if i ask what company and what role? Cisco/Ericsson?

I work remote with no real training, I mean there is nothing documented where the networks are, how to access systems, what are the escalation points. There is no internal training/info

use this time to familarize yourself with company tools? Even if you use a tool once, make sure they can ask you to use it again without you wondering what to do.

I am sure you have worked with networks before but try to learn more about what your comapny does and branch out to other teams a little bit? You can even just ask dumb questions to get someone to start talking to you about stuff.

Of course you can hone in your current skills and learn more. All while applying for a new job

I was one of the best engineers at the last job, at this one things are different

>I was one of the best engineers at the last job, at this one things are different
might as well be comparing apples to oranges. listen if you want 6 figs you are going to have to work for it and not expect it to fall in your lap

what was your former role and what is your role now?

do you have a physical office to go to? might be easier to make an impression and get shit done by physically being there and interacting with coworkers.

>Help I don't know how to do anything
>Help I blame the company for not teaching me
>Help what do i do
>I'm gonna negotiate for 6 figures

You may be retarded

>6k a month to sit on your ass

pursue some hobbies or interests with that free time m8

Did you graduate with a degree in CompE or EE? mind if I ask how much you are making? I'm studying compE right now

That's not the situation at all, I'm on a meeting right now as we speak and that's all I do is sit on meetings to learn the daily process/flows of those org. The thing is everyone else is so busy, they haven't given me a client yet and I'm just sitting here learning as I go

I have done this before, and I know what I am doing, but I am remote and don't have anyone from my staff in my local office, my managers and team are scattered all over the US

I ask them for work, and they are busy with other shit b4 they can offload something to me, plus being honest here I know what I am doing its just getting started is a bit tough since their documentation is garbage

>edit

Spoke to my manager, might have some good news this afternoon

:)

>Spoke to manager
>Offer on the table
>Things are actually going well
>I'm just slightly autistic so I thought things were going bad

You underestimate corporate inefficiency