Resume Critique General

give it to me, trying to do something with finance and data analytics

Other urls found in this thread:

engr.washington.edu/current/studentprogs/orgs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

will do, hold on

How do I cram this into my resume in a easily readable form:

>Senior design project: Aerial Detection of Ground Based Radiation
Designed an airborne system to map and identify ground based radiation sources using an array of 16 micro scintillator detectors and 1 gamma spectrometer coupled to an unmanned aerial vehicle. The purpose of the project was to provide a method that mapped and identified ground based radiation sources over a large area without risking exposure to personnel. My portion of the design was to build a microcontroller system to combine detector information with GPS data, and both store onboard and transmit data back through a Bluetooth connection, as well as write the majority of the literature on the project as a whole.
I was also named Team Captain of the project and was responsible for organizing meetings, submitting design proposals, and responsible for pick-up and keeping of a poster board for the 2015 Engineering Undergraduate Expo. Our design was one of a small handful throughout the College of Engineering to be selected for a media packet given to Industrial Advisory Board Members for special attention. Our design was also awarded second place within the Dept. of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics.

put experience first, its better than education

also it seems like you use a lot of cliche words like 'strive' and shit, cut that down because it makes you sound contrived and also adds a lot to read. no one wants to read a novel for a resume.

also, in the future include the whole thing and censor out you name/contact info with black bars so that we can see the placement of it.

MS word automatically sets the 1" margin on top, but if you override it you can make your name and contact info closer to the top where it will stand out while theyre flipping through a stack of resumes.

Thanks for being thorough I'll touch it up

Should I be concerned theres a bit of empty space at the bottom? If so, how should I fill that up

no just adjust the font size and line spacing a bit, also add horizontal bars to separate sections if you want.

and looking over it again, join a club outside of business and religion. look into stuff thats way out of the ordinary for finance or MIS, like human powered submarine or formula motorsports. theyre fun to do and it will stand out

engr.washington.edu/current/studentprogs/orgs

and tell them you want to do something hands on and dont let them force you into treasury work

Shouldn't you avoid putting religious references in your resume?

his seems more like a charity though. im not aware of many secular, non-state run orphanages or food kitchens.
>cause outspoken atheists are actually just self riotous twats.

You really should fill the bottom of the page with some "about me". Like, hobbies: Spending time with my girlfriend Stacy and cooking healthy vegan meals. Going to the gym and my biggest interest is larp'ing on a mongolian weaving forum.

can someone rework the last bit about my design project to make it fit in 1 page?

- Use bullet points nigga
- Nobody wants to read paragraphs

i know that faggle, i was asking someone else to do it for me cause im autistic

Surprised you know about the formula motorsports team! I've been considering applying but it seems competitive.

shit, really? at my school you just walk in and say you want to help and they give you stuff to do

>as well as write the majority of the literature on the project as a whole

getting paid by the word mate?

Apostrophe on Dean's List dawg

no my dumb fucking group members gave me their 6 mo worth of work in literally 1 page. and it was unreadable.

it was poking fun at you bruv

brevity is the soul of wit, etc etc etc. you could have said the same thing in four words.

Can anyone in this thread chime in about cold calling or emailing small boutique firms? Should I just email through their contact portal or find people directly ( which is tricky )

Roast me, bros.

i actually wasnt sure what you were referring to, my long winded bit in the resume or the fact that I had to do all the writing in order to not get a bad grade.

but i didnt think you were bashing on me

go in person and shake hands, leave your resume, and prepare a small bit about yourself in case they ask. google "elevator pitch"

hold on

I'm also trying to get into data science except I'm currently in the 3rd year of my physics BS/CSE minor.

Any advice for someone in my position? How do you get your foot in the door in the data field? I've been told that as a physics major I have to work harder to sell myself because employers aren't as keen on physics majors compared to engineers. I thought I was going into physics grad school until recently so I got a late start and the real world looks pretty daunting.

UW econ class of 2018 here

good chance I know you (or at least OF you) kek

do you have an internship for this summer? bc I don't :/

You won't find anyone in Data Science who will scoff at a physics degree, user. Aside from perhaps software engineer or some specialized domain-relevant field (e.g. bioinformatics when applying to a company that does next generation sequencing,) most quantitative degrees are treated similarly by recruiters in analytics.

Emphasize the ability to build mathematical models, reason logically, and program in multiple languages, distributed computing is definitely a plus if you have some of that experience. If you have something you can share like kaggle competition results or a github repo, so much the better, but I don't, and it hasn't hindered me.

If I were you, I would also target a consulting firm as a first job out of school. That's how I got the breadth of experience you see in my resume.

i dont know about the layout, seems a bit dated

i studied engr and worked in the physics dept as a data scientist as well as a crop research lab. Ive actually found it quite easy to get offers for data science stuff but I'm not a big fan of it. very tedious work

No luck yet :/ Got my resume passed to a recruiter at a PWM place down in Portland and one response on husky jobs. I'm gonna network big time this fall hopefully I'll get something

How difficult are the upper-level econ classes? Did you pair your degree with something else?Trying to get my GPA up to a 3.6 +

Those marks aren't actually there, user. This is just an artifact of it being a screenshot of the word file. Would send a pdf to any actual recruiter.

I also don't really have a choice about the wording of my Analytics Analyst. That was literally my job title.

Thanks for the other comments though esp. the wordsmithing.

Thanks, user. I've worked on some of those tasks you listed and I think I'm in decent shape.

As for the first job out of school, what should I reasonably expect, salary and position-wise?

>network
good luck lad

they're piss easy. seriously. it helps that the department is 80% chinese, makes those pure theory classes a breeze to top out in because most of them have no clue what's going on.

I didn't even do that well in econ 200/201, and I'm getting high grades easily as an upperclassman.

I'm doing a math minor with it.

yeah it might be a crapshoot but worth a shot I'm hoping friends can hook me up with their gigs they have this summer, good luck this summer dawg there's a bit of time keep applying

Expect to start at the bottom. Salary-wise I came in around 70k for my first position a few years ago but 1) I didn't negotiate (big mistake) and 2) I had more academic credentials than you have. I don't know which had the bigger effect.

I don't know what to do in my fluff space because my resume is too short...I only have basic knowledge of python (learning bioinformatics on the side).

Nobody will care about computer programs that only pertain the companies I worked for.

Everyone knows Microsoft Office these days.

Nobody will care about lab techniques I know.

How hard is SQL to learn? I'm also trying to get into data science, and seems like literally every job calls for it these days.

It's like the HTML of data science, user. Spend a few weeks working on a project that uses it and you will know everything you need to know.

if you can do venn diagrams you can do sql.
its very straightforward
python and lab techniques demonstrate learning and intelligence - have pride in the things you have done - the hr girl will be impressed if you are confident about them

Thanks anons, that's reassuring.

Not a single fuck will ever be given about your high school data. Lose it, it is a waste of space.

a lot of tech companies like microsoft have openings in R&D looking for associates with lab experience.

they still dont hire me, but theyre out there

Lol got rejected from Foster, huh?

Most likely. Just applied but don't think i'll get in with a 3.5. Tanked my grades freshman year with engineering.

I want to fucking kill myself, also thinking of going back college or something.

>including high school
You went to college so its self evident you went to high school.
>high school gpa
No one cares what your high school gpa is.
>relevant coursework
Too much information can be a bad thing. None of your coursework is impressive.
If you want to fill space then you should have a professional introduction instead.

how do i include bulletpoints after "skills" like you did

I made tables, one column for Skills, Experience, whatever, and another for the rest of the info.

OP here at school so ID changed.

So ding the GPA. I kept my high school mostly as an indicator to companies near my hometown that I dont have to relocate from Seattle. Should I take it out anyways?

Should I take out my relevant coursework then? A lot of firms want you to have introductory accounting under your belt, which I dont think they'd know I had taken as an Econ major.

Also, objective / professional introduction seems pretty corny. I've never seen it on a resume sent to firms. Generally, that's covered more in a cover letter.

What does Veeky Forums think? Computer Science field, in case thats not obvious.

>relevant coursework
>every course starts with "introduction"

How much space should I allocate to the courses I took as an undergraduate?

Also how should I go about listing areas that I have experience in, but that aren't specific skills per se?

>Do you have a postgraduate degree? Or have you worked a job since graduating?
If either of these is true, 0. It makes you look like an intern rather than a serious candidate.

how does it look?

Content looks fine, assuming you are looking for another IT position.

The experience section has a few tense and parallelism issues, and unorthodox capitalization. I would also get rid of 'various' and 'all manner of' and similar adjectives which add nothing. The little arrows are also a little cutesy but that's subjective.

Listen to . Clean it up a bit and this is fine for an entry-level IT position as long as "University of" is not followed by "Phoenix".

where do you live and how much do you earn a year?

Don't want to get too specific, but I live in a major city and make about 120k base.

i want to be data scientist,now i work as research assistant as you at the beginning

can you give me some advice how to be a good data scientist?

>i learn engineering not math and phy

If you're asking how to get a job doing data science, I outlined it here:
Being a *good* Data Scientist is a much more complicated question. If this thread is still up when I get home tonight I'll take a stab at answering it.

I work for a large non-big 4 consulting firm and I am involved in deciding who to interview and hire for our entry level positions. We're actually looking for someone with sequel skills right now to assist one of our more senior data guys.

I would give you an interview based on your resume. However, "developed personal relationship with regular customers..."

Pretty sure that should be plural. I would let it slide but some of my colleagues would automatically put it in the trash.

Right now I have a entry level help desk position making around ~40k, I'm looking to hopefully toss my resume around and grab ~55k as I graduate in a week.

See , I went to a very well known and respected university in my state, so I'm good in that nature.

I appreciate the honesty, I'll make the change. Are you saying your colleges would trash it based on that one line?

Also what state are you located in? SQL is something I'm pretty interested in, as I took a couple classes in uni and am looking to expand my knowledge in the field.