When and why did people start calling Europe a continent? It is clearly just a peninsula. It isn't even very big

When and why did people start calling Europe a continent? It is clearly just a peninsula. It isn't even very big.

Because after about 1700, it matters more to history than the entire rest of the Eurasian land mass.

Wow, if you wanted to used a shitty fucked up retarded map projection, you could've just used this.

When the Greeks started talking about continets.

Because Europeans think very highly of themselves, God it is so great seeing their tiny peninsula becoming entirely irrelevant globally haha justice

t. Chink

t. whiteboi pretending to be a person of colour

Because that wasn't very clear some millennia ago. Despite what most Americans might say, continents are defined more around culture and shared history than muh tectonic plates, which is a relatively new concept

I wish north and south america had separate names

>continents are defined more around culture and shared history
Then please tell me why something as huge and culturally diverse as Asia is it's own continent, while Mexico is in North America despite being much more culturally similar to South America.

Nobody said it was perfect

Blame murricans. You do realise most of Latin America considers north, south and central America to be one big continent, right? New world and all

When it fucks up that badly it goes well beyond the territory of just "not being perfect." I think this is more a case of your hugely inconsistent definition of continents not holding up to scrutiny.

Canada is much more culturally and historically tied to Britain than it is Argentina. Why shouldn't it be on the same continent as it in accordance with culture being the defining boundaries of continents.

Ok well publish a more reasonable system hopefully it catches on

aight i got an idea AMERICA and WHOTHEFUCKCARES

More reasonable systems already have been published, for years, because they don't justify the borders of continents on cultural differences. The problem isn't necessarily Asia being its own continent, it's that you have no justification for it being one in accordance with your definition. And if you have no justification, why should anyone give a shit?

Because if you see the Americas as the new world, you'll see some similarities between them
>All of it was populated by natives
>Colonised by Europeans for centuries, who made a huge cultural impact on the countries

If I follow your logic, Iceland shouldn't be European either.

That time some Europeans came up with the concept of continents, because it was kinda useful to define 3 sides of the Mediterranean

And if you keep looking at it you'll see massive differences in history and culture between areas of the Americas. Where does it end? At what point do we look at all the historical and cultural similarities and differences and say: "okay that's enough, this is all we need to define a continent. Nothing more nothing less."

>If I follow your logic, Iceland shouldn't be European either.
I fail to see how that is the case. I haven't even given my own idea of what a continent should be.

The system we already have works just fine. The Europe/Asia distinction doesn't make sense geographically, but it's fucking USEFUL. That's why it's persisted. Without it, it would be cumbersome to say things like,

>The Age of Imperialism marked the start of European dominance over much of the rest of the globe.
or
>Occupying the boundary between Europe and Asia, Constantinople was popularly seen by Europeans as the gateway to the east.
or
>Our modern conception of citizenship has its roots in Europe and is not precisely analogous to most traditional Asian models.

All of which are meaningful (if arguable) statements which the Europe/Asia divide makes it easier to word.

Sure, we could just keep calling the peninsula "Europe" while making sure to stress "EUROPE IS NOT A CONTINENT, THE CONTINENT IS EURASIA", but why fucking bother? It's easy enough to refer to the whole landmass if you want. Getting autistically hung up over semantics serves no purpose at all.

It is fucked up to realise how small European counties are the EU which has most reelvant European countries is only 4,324,782 km2 and and 1.000.000km is irrelevant nordic maountains

Literal white supremacy

>yfw sjws will lobby to destroy the concept of Europe as a distinct continent within your life time

Because we have to deal with people like your's autistic semantics world wide. What's worse is you case is correct and can be easiness abridged other cases it's wrong, makes no sense or requires massive mental shift to make sense.

Good.

>THE CONTINENT IS EURASIA

The continent isn't Eurasia it is just just Asia.

Because the first conception of continents came from the Greeks. From their perspective, separated from Asia by an ocean and yet clearly not an island, they believed Europe to be its own continent.

If anything tectonics has usurped the meaning of the word continent.

What does t. mean?

Fucking newfag lurk moar

You spelled more wrong.

You're

You forgot quotation marks. Now it just sounds like "you spelled more wrong." More than what?

At my university the general education program required an eastern perspective and a western perspective. The newest GEP no longer uses this distinction and my professor told me it was because east/west is a "binary".

>t.
You just gave yourself away, americans dont use "t" (terveisin)

moro mitä jäbä, onks kiva esittää jenkkiä laudalla?

This shit only happens in the west

fire the light balls pirk

It's kind of true though, European history has evolved based on being one side of the Mediterranean. Morocco and Egypt being another side, and Lebanon and the middle east being another.

You should read Roberto Calasso's Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony, he gets into this a bit with his analysis of the various rapes of Europa.

>his analysis of the various rapes of Europa.
What.

English you cuck, speak it

>t, don't assume my prounoun cis-scum, bigirl flowerbatch

Why u so salty tho

It's called that b/c who gives a shit

The only people continents matter to are elementary schoolers and retards, which I'm sure everyone in 1600 or whatever had the intelligence of

Im decreasing size order the continents are
>Eurasia (not inculding British Isles, Japan, Indonesia, etc.)
>Africa (not incliding Madagascar, Seychelles, etc.)
>North America
>South America
>Antartica
>Australia

Anyone defining continents as the 6 largest islands will give you this list, anyone not is trying to prove something about their continent

Is Africa really separated from Eurasia
There's only the man made Suez Canal
Same deal with Americas and Panama Canal

I'd rather clump them together too

You could do that but you'd need to come up with better names
>Afro-Eurasia and America
America is and always will be a country to me and Afro-Eurasia is just
>Old World and New World
Or my personal favorite
>Ecumene and Antipodes

Rewrite your post in competent English and try again.

How long can you look at this before unzipping dick?

Europeans are scum

>Berlin
>english menu

lmao, gas yourself

Fuck off underage.

It us in Berlin

T. Public disgrace fan

It goes to show your insecurities when you accuse everyone who discusses the patent decline of Europe as Chinese

Because it's not a continent and the distinctive idea of "Europe" is actually harmful and not constructive to the idea of national cultures within Europe, in the same way there exists no 'Asian' or African' or 'American' culture but multiple distinctive national or regional ones

That's obviously in Scotland

If we're going with the "'continent' is just a social construct" theory then slanty eyes are why Asia is one continent, and also why India is a "sub"-continent.

If you want a non-meme answer it's from Finnish, it's an abbreviation of whatever gook word the Finns sign their letters with.

>Six digit 6x12" license plates
>Pancakes on the menu
Dude, that's not even Europe.

>HVL OS121
that's five letters and three digits, or 8 characters total

Where do you prefer to draw the boundary between Europe and Asia?
>A line from the Sea of Azov to the White Sea
>Urals + Caspian + Caucasus
Are there any other choices?

There is no boundary, Europe is just west Asia

> a peninsula
Don't forget the scandinavian dong!

Scandi peninsula, Iberian peninsula, Italian peninsula, Europe is a peninsula of peninsulas.

t. has become quite used on /sp/ and other boards, it's a popular dank meme

t. toinen suomalainen

yes very popular meme on all boards I lurk
t. kolmas suomalainen

This is a way better projection you cunts.

Hmm? I thought Europe included half of Russia though.

it's how the finns would sign their posts on their forums, we got it from them like spurdo sparde

it's quite a common thing to denounce a person who irrationally hates someone
e.g. On Pax Brittania
'>perfedious Albion
>promoting peace
pick one and only one'
You would then respond
't. ButtBlasted Baguetter'

>Eurasia joined
>North America and South America separate