What ever happened to loving your neighbor as yourself?

What ever happened to loving your neighbor as yourself?

Other urls found in this thread:

mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0220.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Faggots taking Jesus out of context.

everyone nowadays is just a rude bully ;-;

I just wish peolle could be /kind/er, it makes the world so much better to live in

It's really, really hard. Christianity is probably the hardest religion to follow truthfully, since it asks us to see the world and each other in ways that are contrary to our natural inclinations.

Jesus was a beta cuck. He probably didn't even lift.
Prove me wrong

I'm staying true to that but I fucking hate myself

easiest fucking argument won over the internet

Not even Satan was btfo this hard

literally teach people to be cucks: the religion

>What ever happened to loving your neighbor as yourself?
Shitty neighbors.

what's it like to get so completely and utterly BTFO?

+1

>equates being kind to being a cuck

Closet cuck samefag detected

What if you hate yourself?

Because it is a horrible thing to practice in society when some people are masochists.

I mean like he is not lifting in your pic. There is literally a dude helping him.

Don't you mean sadists? Masochism is desiring harm to oneself.

At any rate, I do my best to practice this. I'm a queer and I've had mixed results from people treating me like shit/heckling me in public and I just smile and ignore them, or even wish them a good day.

It just feels better to treat people with kindness than rudeness in most cases. When I give in to my negative instincts it feels good in the immediate but an hour later I regret it. Being kind does the reverse.

However, I do have to watch out for people who just want to walk all over me. There isn't a catch-all solution to that kind of situation, I just do my best to manage.

I do look up to the ideal of Christ, I just wish we had writing of his teachings from him personally rather than just his dickriders' fanfic.

>implying thats heavy
That shit only weighed about 10 pounds lmao

I fucking hate myself though

Crucifixes weighed around 300 pounds. The horizontal bar alone weighed 75 to 125. Very quick google fact check.

Jesus was probably ripped. You think you can do manual labor (carpenter) for thirty years and not become physically strong?

IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HOLY
HOLY
HOLY
GODHEAD, WHOM JESUS THE MESSIAH POSSES BODILY
I BLESS YOU ALL WITH GOD'S HOLY SPIRIT OF LOVE TRUTH POWER
GOD BLESS (YOU)
GOD BLESS (YOU)
GOD BLESS (YOU)
HALEWEWJAH

this tbqhwy lads

>There is no commandment greater than these

Then how come the actual first command is not having other gods before God? What the fuck is this blasphemous new testament bullshit trying to pull here?

I thought all sins were equal in the eyes of the lord. I hate religion now

Some of us have shitty neighbors and the only thing I would love him is to suffer a slow and painful death

Love thy neighbor was always prefaced by love thy god. Why you never see that now is confusing

I would speculate that by rejecting your neighbour, you are also rejecting the salvation through union offered by God. When we all become united with God, we are also becoming united with each other, and so to hate your neighbour becomes also a rejection of yourself and of God.

Loving God and loving your neighbor are the great commandments because all others hang on these two.
E.g. If you love God you will not worship other gods. If you love your neighbor you will not murder him, etc.

Then why did God make "have no other gods before me" the first commandment and not "love your neighbor as yourself?" "Love your neighbor as yourself" isn't even among the ten commandments.

Self-contradicting, since Abrahamic religion also commands to eradicate all non-Abrahamic religions.

I'm pretty sure Abrahamists wouldn't be very happy if we started wrecking their synagogues, churches and mosques

>implying the Ten Commandments are the only commandments

Also, not only is "you shall have no other gods before me" not the first commandment, it's not even the first among the Ten.

Exodus 20:4-6 says God is a jealous god who will visit the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate him, so you would be loving your neighbors as yourself by destroying their false religious structures since you wouldn't want God to punish them as you wouldn't want God to punish yourself.

(you)
(you)

>not only is "you shall have no other gods before me" not the first commandment

It's the first one, right there in Exodus 20:3. Are you making some sort of alternative translation based argument?

>Ten Commandments are the only commandments

Also I never wrote that and never implied that. The problem is Mark 12:31 claims "love your neighbor as yourself" is somehow the greatest commandment. If it was only specified as a commandment and not the greatest commandment then it might make sense for you to point out the ten commandments aren't the only commandments, but the issue is its claim to being the greatest one.

Out of the Ten Commandments, "I am the Lord, your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery" is the first.

It says that both "Love the Lord, your God" and "love your neighbor as yourself" are the great commandments. The reason given is because all others hang on those two.

"I am the Lord, your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery" is a statement not a commandment.

It's a commandment to believe in God, and to accept that Israel was only delivered through Him, and not any other force.

>It's a commandment

No, it's definitely a statement, not a commandment.

"I am the Lord, your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery"

If someone said to you "I am Chris, your new apartment maintenance guy, who just fixed your air conditioning," he wouldn't be commanding you to do anything by telling you that statement.

I know you can't read Hebrew, but on the top of the left tablet (Hebrew is read from right to left) is the words "I am the Lord".

*top of the right tablet

Yes, and it's still a statement, not a commandment. "You shall have no other gods before me" is the first commandment that appears after that introductory statement.

>I do look up to the ideal of Christ, I just wish we had writing of his teachings from him personally rather than just his dickriders' fanfic

The Gospel of Thomas.

Mind telling me why it's the first line out of ten on the tablets of the Ten Commandments then?

Here's the full Hebrew with the English:

mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0220.htm

Because it's context for the first commandment which is "you shall have no other gods before me." It's not a commandment in itself to say "I am X."

There are only ten lines on these two tablets, ten lines for Ten Commandments. If "I am the Lord" is not counted among the Ten Commandments, then surely it should not even be on the tablet at all, otherwise there should be eleven lines.

There aren't actually two tablets someone dug up that have those ten lines on them. That tablet image you posted was created based on one of a variety of different denomination-specific division schemes for presenting the lines of Exodus 20. There is nothing in Exodus 20 that says to use those abbreviated first few Hebrew words in each line of your image as the ten lines on the tablets.

Also these are what most denominations choose as the ten:

>Thou shalt have no other gods before me
>Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
>Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
>Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
>Honor thy father and thy mother
>Thou shalt not kill
>Thou shalt not commit adultery
>Thou shalt not steal
>Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
>Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thy neighbor's wife, thy neighbor's servants, thy neighbor's animals, nor anything else

Different denominations will split up the last one or combine the first two because there's nothing in Exodus that actually says "these specific words are where this individual commandment begins and ends." Which goes back to the original point that "I am X" is a statement, not a commandment. There's no scripture based argument to be made for why that is or isn't the case (i.e. no line in Exodus that says "commandment 1: "), only a grammar based one, and "I am X" isn't an imperative sentence.

Yes. That's the biggest misunderstanding about the philosophy of "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

If you were an asshole who consistently took advantage of his friends, would you not secretly want someone to call you out on your bullshit?

Treating others as you'd like to be treated doesn't mean rolling over and being a nice guy every time. It often means chastising people, trying to convert non-believers, or ignoring your loved ones whenever they continually refuse to act properly.

Of course not, the original Tablets used the full lines, although there still were ten, and "I am the Lord" was still the first.

The Jews count "I am the Lord" as the first, and combine "you shall have no other gods before me" and "you shall not make for yourself an idol" as the second. Their ordering is obviously the correct one, since they were the ones the Ten Commandments were actually given to.

>"I am the Lord" was still the first

See:

There is nothing in Exodus 20 that says "I am the Lord" was standing alone on the first line of ten lines. It wouldn't make much sense if it were that way either since it isn't a commandment at all, it's a statement that leads into the commandment of having no other gods before God. A better guess would be that the "I am the Lord" statement and the having no other gods before God commandment were both on the same first line of the tablet.

>The Jews count "I am the Lord" as the first

Certain specific jews might have created a replica of the tablets that split Exodus 20 in the way your describing, but splitting it in that way isn't any sort of official jewish doctrine. Exodus 20 itself is the official word on the topic and it doesn't specify how to split itself up.

Protestants happened

Holy shit, this is fascinating. Thanks, user

>There is nothing in Exodus 20 that says "I am the Lord" was standing alone on the first line of ten lines.
Of course not, but I'm not basing my argument off of Exodus 20. I'm basing it off of the traditional Jewish ordering, which is obviously the way to go.
>Certain specific jews might have created a replica of the tablets that split Exodus 20 in the way your describing, but splitting it in that way isn't any sort of official jewish doctrine.
No, all traditional Jews follow this order.
>Exodus 20 itself is the official word on the topic and it doesn't specify how to split itself up.
It also doesn't specify what it means when it says "you shall not kill". Is killing in war allowed? Is killing for self-defense allowed? So we have to follow the traditional interpretations and ordering, since the Bible itself does not clarify.
I would also point out that the Bible itself doesn't even call them "the Ten Commandments", we call them that because of the Jews. So why not follow their ordering as well?

The Talmud has it your way as of the third century. Philo and Josephus had "have no other gods before me" as the first commandment before then, in the first century.

>crossfit