/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Shooting Gay Never Die Edition

Previous Thread: This general is for discussing all shmups/STG (shoot 'em ups/shooting games/shooting type games).
Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s
Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

RECENT RELEASES:
>Touhou 16 ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons
store.steampowered.com/app/745880
>Sorcer Striker/Mahou Daisakusen (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/08/sorcer-striker-m2-shottriggers-release-announced-ps4
>Pawarumi
store.steampowered.com/app/610410
>Raiden V (PS4 and Steam)
store.steampowered.com/app/570050
>Garegga M2 port (XBO)
m2stg.com/en/battle-garegga/xboxone/
>Sonic Wings 2/Aero Fighters 2
PS4, Xbox One, and Switch
>Super Hydorah
store.steampowered.com/app/628800
>Graze Counter
store.steampowered.com/app/629440

UPCOMING RELEASES:
>Ketsui M2 port (PS4)
gematsu.com/2017/04/m2-announces-ketsui-m2-shottriggers-release-feveron-school
>Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia
>iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/
>Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194
>Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wing Diver
gematsu.com/2017/09/earth-defense-force-4-1-wing-diver-shooter-shoot-em-announced-ps4
>Blue Revolver Black Label Announced
bluerevolvergame.com/1year/

OTHER LINKS:
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xXVKIn2MVgE?t=31s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gay thread, please make another one

trap15 confirmed op.

Futari>Mushi1

Why is larsa so angry?

Reco killed her son

>Why is larsa so angry?
because she's a fat old bloater jealous of recos perky milkers and tight snatch.

Finally decent op pic

FUCK YOU TRAP STOP MAKING US PLAY SHITTY GAMES

Are they small or are the bugs just huge?

Some are small, othert are huge.

Stay alive /shumpg/!

not talented enough

Doesn't she have a milf status secret form though? Is it fake or is it her real self?

Bumps

False. The dino boss alone disqualifies it, and that's before taking Reco's redesign into account which is worse than including a dino.

What's wrong with the dino?

the only stage in mushi that's good is stage 3 and maybe 5 but the rest is gash.

Stage 4 in Mushi is great because of the music alone.

some boring flight over a shitty lake? your taste is ass.

>because of the music alone

Stage 3 is the worst stage.

This. Also Recos sprite looks much better in Mushi.

>Stage 3 is the worst stage.
wtf? it's one of the greatest stages of all time, you really do have fucking shitcunt taste, i respect traps opinions more at this point.

Background art is ugly, the music is not as good as in the other stages, and the bullet patterns don't fit to the point-blanking mechanic of 1.5 as much as the other stages.

kill me

what's the point of doing this?

youtu.be/xXVKIn2MVgE?t=31s

Doing what? Not killing the turret at the begining?
If you leave the turret alive, more enemies will spawn at the next part afaik.

That sounds fine, but why wait at the bottom of the screen? If the purpose is to have less enemies spawn, can't you just enter the next section and continue to avoid hitting the turret? Pretty sure going towards the top of the screen lets you go into the next section.

>If the purpose is to have less enemies spawn
The purpose is to have MORE enemies spawn, so you get more points.

>Pretty sure going towards the top of the screen lets you go into the next section.
No, you have to wait a bit.

Nothing. He is simply too dumb to understand that the dino fits perfectly into futaris story.

Yeah, sorry for the typo. It's strange that this trick exists, is it intentional or is it manipulation of how the game is coded?

I don't know, but I think it is not intentional. Yagawa once said that many scoring tricks were not intentional but found out by the players. I also doubt that the continue trick at the flamingos was intentional.

Yagawa is a retarded hack that lucked into making a great game. Just look at all of the broken trash hes made since garegga. He's an inept designer.

Garegga is their best, but Batrider, Brave Blade. Mahou, and Soukyugurentai are also very nice.

>bought R-type Final more than a decade ago but stayed in my backlog until I forgot about it
>remember that I have it while I was emulating the first four games
>start to play it this month
>this fucking boss
Holy shit his second phase is walling me hard.
I can beat every other stage on r-typer difficulty except this one, god damn.

Also, I like 3 more, but so far I find Final really good, up to its name even.
Can't believe I had this one gem eating dust for years like the idiot I am.

Yep, Final has its flaws, but it is still pretty good.
The boss is a real spike and one of the reasons why I stopped playing the game.
It's very doable with a good ship, but still annoying as hell and way harder than the other parts of the whole game basically.

i am excited

With the exception of Batrider, those aren't designed by Yagawa

Bumping

fuck off batriders way better than garegga, try actually playing it.

>the music is not as good as in the other stages
you have such shit taste i want to punch you, one of the best stage themes in either mushi ffs and the whole stage being amassive bug is amazing, i defo respect traps views more than yours now.

is reco pure?

It is an impressive stage, indeed, but it's not as pretty as the others.

Define pure. In the harsh world of giant bugs and dinosaurs some things are just considered 'natural' to do... like an animal.

has she had sex?

damn, trap's game just annoying

Leave "pretty" and other girly shit to Touhou, real shmups are a desperate battle for survival

>Yep, Final has its flaws, but it is still pretty good.
For all the bad things I've heard these years from other people, I must say most of them are unfounded.
I mean, the main complain seemed to be that people found it slow due to wait times between swarms, but R-Type has always been a slower paced shmup and the wait times are no longer than in the rest of the series, which I replayed recently.
The only thing I observed is that the weapons are a bit slower and feel just wrong compared to previous instances. It is specially noticeable on the blue lasers in some of the forces.
Anyway, it may not be as good as Delta and 3, but it tiers just behind them.
My only complain is how clunky some of the models feel up-close, but eh, the game is 15 years old I guess.

Lewd

R-Type 1 and 2 do a good job at keeping the pace up

>but it's not as pretty as the others.
ahhh i totally get where you're coming from now mate, you're a rampant homosexual.

Why do shmup players always need to compensate their lack of masculinity?

Which is why I talked about 3 and Delta, which coincidentally are usually regarded as the best by many fans. And 1 and 2 do keep the pace up, yes, but they're still on the slow spectrum compared to most of the genre, R-Type always did things a bit different.
I think after 2 they started to design the games to give more space to their iconic charge cannon mechanic, and I'm glad they did. You barely have any space to properly use it in the first games, and they ended including loop-charges so the change in the pace was necessary. Not to mention the difference in mentality of designing for arcades vs making games for consoles.
Sure the arcades were first, but I personally think R-Type ended being refined with 3. They found the definition to their franchise with that game.

Still, the changes to the pace were minimum, and after all I've heard I feel a lot of people exaggerated the problem with Final, specially when it's practically the same pace as 3 and Delta. Except the bosses, their "intro" scenes are considerably slower in this one.
I think the fact that you're not always progressing forward in the 3D games, and that they took more chances to spin and move the ship around the scenery in different axises made players more conscious of the wait times? Maybe?
I don't know, again I'm playing Final after replaying the rest of the series and the only thing that irks me is that the weapons should be a bit faster.

>Why do shmup players always need to compensate their lack of masculinity?

because having your cock poking out your plaid skirt is pretty faggy.

I think people mainly compare Final to Delta, and Delta has way better pacing.
Final also has atrocious slow down on some parts (especially stage 3).

>Final also has atrocious slow down on some parts (especially stage 3).
Oh yeah, I've heard about this (and seen it in videos).
I'm glad I can play it in a ps3 so I can avoid that nuisance. Fuck that.

The thing about Final is that it is often way too easy, while other times blisteringly difficult. Compare the lead up to stage 4 boss to the boss for example. The end of the stage is so easy you almost fall asleep, while the boss is just pure bullshit on R-Typer with its lightning fast rng needles.

Delta is much better balanced there.

Bump

I just want to like make game, but just can't think of anything halfway original.
Now I finally have a full lock-on system, even with background lock-on, and I just don't know what to do with it.

The best games are rarely original.

Bullshit. Name a single good shmup which isnt unique.

strikers 1945 2 and 99.

Those are sequels and do not count.
Apart from this did they do things differently than Strikers.

xexex

>tentacle option
>not unique

Everyone starts by making a clone so why not do that? It's better than moping around. May even get some good ideas because of your newly found experience.

>Those are sequels and do not count.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhahaha that goalpost moving, fuck off dickhead every sequel is a shmup end of.

>why not do that?
Because i much rather would like to make a non-clone.
There must be something i could do to make this fun and unique, but i just cant find it.

>goalpost moving
if you had common sense you would understnd that a sequel is inherently less original than good non-sequels

Making a non-clone > making a clone >>>>>> making nothing because you want to make a non-clone. You can re-use stuff from your clone for a future non-clone. All the basics are the same either way.

>wasting time on a rip-off when you do something unique instead
its not like i am doing nothing you know
i am just constantly brainstorming instead of coding, etc
thats also part of game dev

You can do that while coding, two birds with one stone

the mental gymnastics you're willing to do to make your point work are extraordinary.

Bahmpu~

bump

Bahmpu~

Bump and stuff

Bump

Bahmpu~

Slow night is slow.

I'm bored.

play gaemu

Nah, I'll probably just go to bed or something. It's pretty late.

Stay alive overnight!

Bump

think i'm gonna learn espgaluda tateha properly, try and beat chongs score eventually.

Good luck!

you will never be unique.

w-why T.T

All that you create are based on your previous knowledge and experience. Being unique would mean that you won't lend (or steal) anything from the other games. That's not possible.

No, being a unique game just means having some unique core mechanic. Of course you would have to do stuff other did before you, but you still can create new stuff.

Ah fuck it. CCWI also did absolutely nothing new and was still good. I will just do whatever I want.

make CCWI but with flying anime girls, guaranteed success

ded genre ded thread

Last Resort is a bad game

better than your favorite shmup

Never give up user!

Already too late I guess

So you finally started working? Congratulations