Are there any urban areas in the US where can I buy a 1 bedroom apartment for...

Snarelure
Snarelure

Are there any urban areas in the US where can I buy a 1 bedroom apartment for $250k or less? By urban I mean dense enough that I can do most things without needing a car.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

bump

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

I doubt it.

250k isn't that much anymore.

You can buy a nice double wide trailer tho

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

As far as I can tell Miami and Atlanta might be your best bets, but that was a very quick surface level search so ymmv.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

Chicago.

Soft_member
Soft_member

Forgot that one. Also Minneapolis.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

Philadelphia

Lunatick
Lunatick

What parts of Chicago should I be looking at? Not going to consider any predominantly non-white neighborhoods.

Booteefool
Booteefool

when you say "urban area" do you mean an area with a population of over 15,000 per sq mile, or more like 5000?

There are tons of "urban areas" but smack dab city center, is different than 1/2 an hour outside, which often cuts the prices in half.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

Just any area that's walkable. I want to be able to literally step outside my building and have at least a coffee shop or bar within a few blocks of me, and have a number of restaurants, local shops, and a grocery store I can get to all by foot in a reasonable amount of time.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

you can live in any metropolitan city in America without a car. literally millions of people do it.

Firespawn
Firespawn

Anywhere in Nevada or Arizona

SniperWish
SniperWish

But I know for a fact that $250k isn't enough to buy even a parking space in any city in the northeast US, so many cities aren't an option for my budget.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

philly for sure. newly built 2bd apts going for ~325+ in the kesington area rn

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

This is incredibly do-able and for much cheaper then what you're projecting. Most posters here probably thought you meant being in a city like NYC.

I live in a condo near a huge plaza with a grocery store and a shopping centre here in Fort Lauderdale and I paid 175k.

It's also a 2 bdr/bath

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

Lexington, KY

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

Miami? Are you crazy?

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

Did a quick flashover on miami-dade county average property sale prices. It was at or around 250k. In the city proper it's probably much higher, but a one bedroom apartment would probably be lower. I'd have to do more than a cursory skim though.

Illusionz
Illusionz

Scottsdale

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

Detroit. You can buy like the whole citt for that much.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

Is Detroit really all-around terrible or are there nice areas where housing/apartments are cheap?

Booteefool
Booteefool

Bodymore Murdaland fo sho

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

You could definitely find a place in Philly or Baltimore for under 250k

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

Most cities in the USA are not super walkable.

I would say New York, Boston, San Francisco, and parts of San Mateo County, Downtown Seattle,

Usa is not a walkable country

Poor people are on the street, rich people use cars to drive through poor areas.

Accept it

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit