What happened to other near eastern gods, such as Ba'al and Hadad?

What happened to other near eastern gods, such as Ba'al and Hadad?

Why did Yahweh win out in the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/chYkhlCon6E
youtube.com/watch?v=gCvMMSTOl4Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were simply too progressive and so they died out as nobody felt compelled to associate with them.
See also: post reformation christianity.

I think the abrahamic religions offered a more unifying experience for people that was preferable to various contending gods and goddesses of polytheism.

Many of them were sublimated into Lemegeton and similar grimoires.

because throwing your child to the fire is a sure way to be demonized by everybody be it hebrews or romans

That man speaks wisdom

Probably contribute the success of Abrahamic religions with the persistence of the Jews

One theory ive heard is that abrahamic religions were better at converting because they had less sacrificing. Mothers would convert their husbands if their pagan religion had children being sacrificed. Sacrificing food during food shortages would make converting more tempting too and so on. For some converting wasnt always because they saw the light, they just didnt want to practice the more annoying aspects of their pagan religion.

Ba'al is just short for Ba'al Hadad. to answer your question they really didn't go anywhere. they were just synchronized into Yahweh's cult. Ba'al especially was closely tied into Yahweh. remember Leviathan? that's a sea monster Ba'al slays. just like Ba'al Yahweh is called the cloud rider. just like Ba'al Yahweh lives on Mount Zaphon. there's similar imagery in Daniel to the Ba'al cycle, which has a 7 headed potentate if my memory is right

child sacrifice only happened on rare occasions as far as we can tell.

Yahweh won out because he is the god that actually exists. The others were killed by their own nonexistence

Next question

so would a decline in abrahamic religions disprove his existence?

>implying Baal didn't win
youtu.be/chYkhlCon6E

Then why hasn't Hinduism died yet?

Caste system is useful to people at the top. Now that it's been rescinded it will shrink into nothing though

Do you have any evidence to back up your prediction?

the caste system has been officially outlawed since the founding of the country. there hasn't been a steady decline in religiousity since then

Indian people are increasingly secular. It's partly because I'm in America, but every Hindu person I've met hasn't given a shit about their religion. They eat burgers and all sorts of cow and it doesn't really mean anything for them.

Nice anecdote, but I want statistics.

so are people in europe and america. what preceeded becoming increasingly secular in all three cases? increased affluence and education. especially the latter when you sure aren't going to have many uneducated indians able to get green cards

Religion truly is the opiate of the masses.

thousands of years of authentically religious elites would say otherwise. not to say that religion can't and hasn't been used as a tool by those in power, but religious beliefs are simply a part of human nature that few have questioned until the past few hundred years

>be caliph
>drink and eat pork anyways

because He is a jealous God

>if you eat burgers and cows you aren't a hindu.
laughingkeralitechefs.jpg

>I'm in america
Opinion discarted

you mean El the Jealous

>Islam
>Yahweh

The god of Islam is Allah, any non Arabic word is not strong enough to express the being of Mahmoud's god.

Yahweh is the G-d of the Jews, which is most popular in Israel, although smaller communities still exist in Muslim majority countries.

Jesus Christ and God as we know him in the West is also worshiped in the Middle East, but they are mostly a minority, as well.

These gods are different, accepting Jesus as Logos incarnate and the son of God would be blasphemous in Islam and would get you kicked out of Judaism. Seeing as these views conflict, the idea that these are the same God is misleading, despite being popularized in our culture, and by many religious leaders.

They was bitch-asses who couldn't handle the War

Is YHWH so violent in the OT, because he was the actual War God Yahweh?

Did he get conflated with El later?

Christians were very good at either incorporating the local pagan beliefs or simply wiping them out.

I want to hear the rest of that man's argument.

What does Christendom have to do with anything?

We're talking about the transition from Canaanite Polytheism to Yahwehist Monotheism.

My question would be if the other Canaanite Cities were Monotheists or Polytheists

Ezra's reform happened.
Also, the YHWH group were pretty tribal(don't marry those other guys), and kinda more advanced, and their religion became a unifying identity with all the exiles and such.

This is now a Memri TV thread

Gold!

youtube.com/watch?v=gCvMMSTOl4Q

They were real according to Yahweh.

>tfw the west will never have its own memri tv

Probably because lesbians usually don't fuck in the ass

Of course not, that's just people losing faith.

No, this directly contradicts the Old Testament. Remember when Moses goes to the Pharaoh (you should, it's a famous story). What does Pharaoh do? He calls his court magician who throws down a staff that turns into a snake.

Not to be outdone, Moses throws down his staff, and it turns into TEN snakes that eat the other one. The point of the story is, YHWH isn't the only god, just the most powerful.

M8 talkshows that interview transgendered children and furries are enough.

So in other words, this is unfalsifiable horseshit?

That's also why he tells Moses "thou shalt have no gods before me" rather than "there are no other gods at all"

No he's right.

>if Abrahamism succeeds, that proves God is real
>if it fails miserably, that still proves God is real

I think you meant "He's full of shit"

Nah, he's real whether people believe it or not. It's other gods who aren't real when their religions die.

>that cooking show
fucking kek

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You create a rule, then you create bullshit loopholes when it applies to your religion. It's painfully obvious you're hopelessly biased and have no interest in the truth whatsoever. You just want to promote your specific worldview, which has zero guarantee for long term survival.

Believe me, if in 2000 years, all traces of Abrahamic religion were absorbed/removed, no one in the universe will have a single clue what a 'Yahweh' is, any more than they will know what a 'Baal' is

Canadian here, most of the Hindus I know still take their religion seriously.

Why are you grappling the troll?

Look, it's an established fact that the biblical God exists, only edgy teenagers and fedoras will deny that.

The scriptures say there are no other gods, and their religions died out soooo...put two and two together and the scripture is confirmed as accurate, and if the scriptures are accurate, so is the belief in the Biblical God who wrote it.

How? They worship elephants and ladies with twelve arms. Hinduism is stupider than scientology desu.

>Mahmoud's god.

Using such antiquated terms clearly shows what an antiquated historian you are and where your antiquated knowledge comes from.

Yeah, so do the Hindu, Muslim, and other religious scriptures. Why is yours so unique?

1. None of them have been proven to be accurate like the bible
2. They are products of satan, the great deceiver. Anything that "appears" true within them is a lie.

I fucking hate that candy bar.

>unfalsifiable
Fuck outta here with that shit.

I mean, we have Fox News.

On one hand I want to encourage you not to feed the troll. On the other hand you're an idiot.

>How dare you demand that I don't just make shit up without any evidence?!!
>How dare you? Making things up in my imagination is totally reasonable!!!

Is this a real channel, or is it some meme subtitling?

It's a website that translates Arabic/Farsi television

Its real i've watched some videos of it and the subs match

>Indian people are increasingly secular.

You're an idiot. Look up Hinduvata and how Modhi came to power.

>Indian people are increasingly secular
>Being this misinformed

>Why did Yahweh win out in the end?

More appealing to women, who raise the children, who they carry on mom's religion.

For the most part, men are only interested in religion as far as it can be used to control people.

a large percentage of early christian converts were women, but i don't know if the same could be said of early Islam or for the slow development of Judaism. i mean that i don't think there's enough data if any to tell for these two, if there is any

oh wow