Does anyone else here feel like it's HELL MODE hard to get out of the poor class? (In the U.S)

Does anyone else here feel like it's HELL MODE hard to get out of the poor class? (In the U.S)

- My 40 hour a week job BARELY pays for rent, food, and expenses, making it hard to save any money.

- It takes a large amount of capital to start a business that has a success rate of like 5%.

- Job markets are saturated and college does not seem like a worthwhile investment when you will have to owe a shit ton and odds of you finding a good secure job are nil.

Seriously the only ways I can think of getting to the upper class are:

1) Develop a fucking smash hit app or game which AGAIN the odds of that are very bad as google play store is SATURATED with other people doing the same.

2) Become a world class poker player and play at the best tables (a lot of you might laugh at this but there are tons of wealthy bad poker players who want to have fun throwing money around.

3) Become a savant at trading cryptos which will be quite the emotional rollercoaster but I'm sure some people are making bank doing it.

I really can't think of anything else. Why do they make it so hard to obtain great wealth?

>falling for the college is a bad investment meme

Stop
Being
Poor

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

>Why do they make it so hard to obtain great wealth?
It's actually the easiest time in history to make a dollar without even risking your livelihood. It's just your psychology that's in the toilet. There's not much anyone can tell you if you don't make a path for yourself out of your negative mindset.
No one has it easy, that's just not how it works. You either focus on doing what you think will work very hard and ignore what others are doing or flail around like most in the world.
All your examples are outliers, you have a small, small chance of succeeding in becoming one of those so choosing that choice is idiotic. Everyone who becomes successful makes the hard choices, saves money, and takes calculated risks with the money they save.
If you're not doing that, then you aren't even playing the game. You're not even in on a bet. So, you can easily spend the rest of your life vaguely estimating the chances of how much failure is going to occur in your life, or you get good at something like everyone else did.

> Just finished a self improvement book
STFU mate the one chance op was to take out a loan and invest in ethereum

You want to get out of the poor class to a job that makes you a shitton of money?

Become an actuary.

All you have to do is take a few actuarial tests, pass them, and apply for jobs. If you pass 2-4 actuarial tests, all of which are designed to be self-studied so no teacher required, you WILL get an actuarial job. You might have to apply for like 5-6 months if your resume is shit and your grades were shit or whatever but you WILL get a job and it WILL move you up to the upper middle class. Not the upper class, mind you, the upper middle class. This will easily give you enough capital to live comfortably, invest a ton of money, and when the time is right fund your own business and THEN you will be in the upper class.

It's as easy as going online and reading everything you can on the site soa.org. Then go and buy the ACTEX Manual for an actuarial exam (google this.) Read the manual and take some notes. Then go and do practice exams on Coachingactuaries.com until you are level 6 on their website. Then pay to take the test. Repeat this 1, 2, or 3 more times if you can and begin applying for every actuarial analyst job on the market.

you need to take high risks and be LUCKY to break even

you need LUCK

take big risks and have LUCK

thats fucking all

>everyone is autistic enough to finish a nightmare mode college degree while not getting laid and being a fucking subchad incel as you see all the unobtainable college stacies
>become a wagecuck anyway with high stress due high responsibility job
no thanks jeff. anyone with a brain is stacking BTC and getting filthy rich in 2030.

>recommends all of these courses
Not sure which country you're from, and I understand the need for those manuals, but I really don't believe anyone would hire someone seeking a job in such a professional field that doesn't have any degree (even if they had just an associate's in business or something).

It is super easy if you buy PIVX and stake.

Not like Veeky Forums didn't tell you like a month ago.

Ahh, wagies...when will they learn

>putting a few thousand today in Bitcoin will be worth more in 2030 than putting 100k in every single year and watching the growth compound until 2030.
You wanna run that math again?

Also
>Nightmare mode college degree while not getting laid
>not having loads of sex in college
You have to be unironically diagnosed with Down Syndrome to unintentionally avoid having sex in college.
And
>high stress due high responsibility job
Stop believing in memes you moron. I'm literally at work right now posting on Veeky Forums because I have had no work for the past 2 weeks. Nothing. So I drink soda and watch tv and eat pizza in my little office while the rest of the department thinks I'm working my ass off. Collecting a huge paycheck and then dumping it into crypto.

I'm not recommending any courses.

You go and buy the book. You read the book, you register online for a test and you pass the test. Do that 5 times and you have a salary of 150-200k per year.

Well then maybe a small degree.

That's why I said you'd have to apply for a few months though. Because at least 1 company WILL hire you on tests alone as an actuary. That's all anybody here cares about. Some places require you to have some, any degree, to top it off too though.
Hell maybe I just got lucky but if it doesn't work out, choose a smaller company that needs an actuary and go for that.

The real secret is that every company needs an actuary (someone who calculates risk) and the smart ones know it.

> Does anyone else here feel like it's HELL MODE hard to get out of the poor class?
Try getting into day-trading,OP, if you study enough for day-trading, maybe you'll have some luck and make some nice cash.

Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm calling you a shill.

Do you just search more for local insurance companies then? Ones that don't have a multi-national base.

I actually have (a waste of) an Associate's Degree in Business, but it has done me no good outside of theorycrafting and lobbing around business ideas lazily.
I'm very good at math and originally wanted to be a Mathematics PhD but left school due to excessive loans & MUH FEMINISM and whatever. This seems like something I could actually do.

>You have to be unironically diagnosed with Down Syndrome to unintentionally avoid having sex in college.

That's wrong though. Something like 50% of college students are not sexually active. Life is not one of your comedy movies.

I did it with just a bachelors in mathematics because I love math too but at the end of my degree I realized I didn't want to go to graduate school for 4 more years, as I also had originally wanted to get a mathematics PhD, and I certainly didn't want to teach high school algebra or something so I started taking actuarial tests and the material was way easier than the math courses I'd taken. The test themselves are brutally hard though, but luckily it's only 30 questions in 3 hours and the questions are multiple choice, but that's what the practice exams (use coachingactuaries.com it's the absolute best) are for.

Downside is until you get a job you have to pay for the materials and the tests out of pocket, but as soon as a company hires you (after about 2, 3, or 4 tests max) they pay for all study materials, all tests, and even pay you for your time spent studying. I got hired after just 1 test so it's possible.

I mean once you have a resume to send out you could absolutely apply to local insurance companies, or big multi-national ones like Cigna, but they're difficult to get into. But local ones are not nearly as difficult. Remember to have a story for your interview about a time you worked with data in some capacity. Really anything. A little bit of programming knowledge to talk about could help but isn't necessary...

And you should probably search for the emails of head actuaries at the firms you want to apply, but only do this when you've passed a few tests or think you are ready.
I'm half kidding but it's not as bad as that guy said. You don't have to be a celibate nerd who studies all day to do well in college.

Thanks for the advice. So I should start by finishing a test or two, and then sending out my resume stating that I've completed tests 1 & 2? Btw, 30 questions with multiple choice sounds like a joke kek, but I imagine you'll need all 3 hours if you don't have a bachelor's-level background.

My prior experience and current job is human services (working with disabled/elderly), but I do some programming like ASM and Python for fun. How would I convince them of my capability at working with data? I was thinking about contributing to open-source projects to get my name on a contributor roster as proof, so I could put that on my resume.

Also: study materials aside, what is the approximate cost for the program? Poorfag here.

Thanks for holding my hand, anonkun

Well I got really lucky with 1 I think and I have a degree in math and some programming, so it was helpful.

I would do 2 or 3 before applying.
>30 questions with multiple choice sounds like a joke
That's what I thought too. Do the practice exams on coachingactuaries.com and see though. It's actually really tough. The pass rates are about 30-40% per test I think.

Also, in addition to paying for your tests and study materials, salary is determined entirely by how many tests you've passed. You pass a test, it gets put in the company system, and your salary increases appropriately. It's automatic. No such thing as a promotion, just actuaries who have passed more tests than me.

Any kind of project is great. They're just going to ask standard interview questions (they want to see hard-working personality, etc.) so give them stories of you working on projects and all that. Typical office job questions..

Everything is on soa.org. Go there for information. But google the Actex manuals as study guides and the Coachingactuaries.com tests as practice.

A test costs $225 to take. That's why you want to be sure you're going to pass. Get a level 6 or higher on the coachingactuaries.com practice tests and you will almost definitely pass. The coachingactuaries.com packages are like $185 per test though. They're just supplements to give extra practice so not fully necessary but useful in my opinion.

>HELL MODE hard to get out of the poor class? (In the U.S)
Dude, in non-Germany Europe, assuming you can even find a job (near impossible in some countries now. Job market saturated in the US? There's like 70% youth unemployment were I live.) you'd still have at least >40% taxes onto everything you can think of, plus no incentives to start anything (in fact you must pay more to start stuff) and no guarantee that you will ever see your social security money (which you MUST pay every month) again. Can't buy a decent house with less than 300k, can't rent a half decent place for less than 400/month unless you do it illegally. You don't pay much for a degree and the degree isn't worth shit. You don't pay much for medical care but you can die while waiting for your free doctor. Oh and the average salary here is 20k less than the US.
So yeah, sorry if I can't take your whining seriously, burger, while I live in commie dreamland.

At least you have free healthcare and NEET bux my friend

> rent for 'decent' only 400 euro/month
You must be Spain or Portugal or something

>3) Become a savant at trading cryptos which will be quite the emotional rollercoaster but I'm sure some people are making bank doing it.

Do this while you live in a cheap country.

If you only got 3 ideas to make money then don't bother trying to create a business or make your own income, you'll prob fail

Some (most) people are better off just working for others, simply try get a better job op

What do you do, user?
27 year old lost scrub here.

I'm an actuary. You can see here:
Where I kind of explain that.

If you want real info just read everything on soa.org.

How did feminism prevent you from completing your PhD?

>it takes a large amount of capital to start a business

This is a meme (depending on the business of course). If you have anywhere from $5k to $20k that's all you need in the US.

>become a crypto savant

Also a legitimate strategy. I recommend RLC, POSW and Litecoin.

A friend of mine went the math major to actuary route. I actually really like the idea of actuary, but I've heard horror stories of how the work itself is soul-crushingly boring. But I work in risk management so maybe I wouldn't mind it too much.

What do an actuary's day to day duties look like? Do you enjoy the job?

Well I actually do actuarial consulting, but I think I'm in a unique position since my company seems to have nothing for me to do this..probably this year to be honest.

I have pretty much nothing to do all day since this company gives me nothing to work on. I just do an hour or 2 worth of work a week at most. Usually it's honestly just that someone needed a macro to run but didn't want to run it on his/her computer so he/she gives it to me to run instead in the background while I surf Veeky Forums. A child could do what I do in the workplace. It's the tests that are hard.

I realize my company will give me more responsibilities as time goes on and it will get much, much harder but for now I'll just enjoy getting paid to shitpost.

I think the other actuaries, and me sometimes, do cash flow testing here and a lot of work in excel, usually checking to see if our test results match what the clients have sent us.

Some times I leave work after 8 hours of day-trading cryptos and posting on Veeky Forums and it feels almost like stealing because I didn't get to do anything. But I always ask how I can help. what I can do, but people never seem to have much if anything at all.

Yeah that sounds about amazing. Next question is a bit out there: do you know if it's possible to do actuarial work from home?

One of my long-term goals is to find a way to live in latin america while earning a middle class US$ wage. The best way I see to do that is online work while I figure out a business to start.

I don't know that unfortunately. It probably is but I couldn't advise on it.

A lot of people here work from home daily though and just send out an email saying they'll work from home today and usually a reason why. They use a VPN so it's easy.

For a big company, I don't think it would ever work in the long term. But for a small company that just needs an actuary to manage risk, that's possible. They might not pay as well but if you know all about the profession you might be able to find a company that will pay for your expertise. You might need a lot of experience in a full-on actuarial insurance/consulting firm first though.

>free healthcare
there's that word again; each month a chunk of your gross paycheck gets ripped out for healthcare, your employer pays on top of that as well
>NEET bux
there are no NEET bux here; if you need emergency support you'll get meager amounts but the state will have a claim on your inheritence for the same amount; unemployment benefits are available for a very short while post your termination and there are loads of hoops you have to jump through like the good little doggie goy that you are

Europe a shit unless you're self-employed and declaring below-min-threshold earnings while making a killing off the books or have a growing llc with slave labor that's happy to toil away for you

Do you think there's any value in studying or even taking the tests for someone who won't pursue a career as an actuary? As a software developer (and a mediocre one at that) the published salaries for actuaries are pretty disappointing. However, the topics of the exams are very interesting to me (I have a degree in math as well).

>You have to be unironically diagnosed with Down Syndrome to unintentionally avoid having sex in college.
Are you 16?
I met like three girls in college.

I honestly think the published salaries are crap. I'm a life consulting actuary making 75k starting and the top people make 400-500k, considerable or even more than doctors given the same amount of time to reach that level.

My father is a computer engineer for Intel and makes 250k per year after like 25 years there. As an actuary, the growth is much, much bigger.

The finance side of the exams was incredibly helpful for me because I had to learn all kinds of finance topics I knew nothing about and now I apply them every day to my personal investments. Getting any kind of certification in risk management and finance, which is really what this is, is certainly worth it in my opinion. But it's more difficult if your company isn't paying for all your study materials and tests.

The knowledge on the first 5 tests is mostly about statistics, probability, and finance in general and not too specific to the actuarial industry so of course it's valuable.

And, if thins ever went south for you, having 2-3 tests and a math degree is a guaranteed job if you apply enough, so there's that as a fallback if that interests you at all.

Other careers like this?

>the published salaries are crap.

can confirm. I'm an "EE" and make 250k+ a year. People above me make 7 figure bonuses (non-exec but manager positions). You will never see these types of numbers on salary guides.

Other careers like this? What do you mean?

I don't think there are any other careers exactly like this..

It is hard. I grew up in foster care. I am by no means one of those elusive whales these people drool over. However it is possible. You need to work on securing a few things first. First a base of operations. You need housing that is safe and within your price point. After that you need to secure multiple flows of income. And don't forget that a penny saved is actually more than a penny earned ever since income tax. Find food co ops or whatever you can find to cut costs. Stop worrying about getting rich and worry about these things. Work two jobs or even 3. Then start worrying about getting rich. Along the way you will find multiple ways to make money. Crypto and trading are not the only ways to make money.....if you find yourself losing at one game play a different one. That's my best advice without knowing more specifics.

That can be advanced in this way

thanks for the info. will look into this.