Has industrial society increased the amount of anxiety and alienation among men in modern society? If so...

Has industrial society increased the amount of anxiety and alienation among men in modern society? If so, what lessons from history can be applied to alleviate the stress of living in this era?

Other urls found in this thread:

douban.com/group/topic/43140607/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

religion

Say it with me: one man, one wife

Is such a thing even possible in this day and age?

>If so, what lessons from history can be applied to alleviate the stress of living in this era?
You should look at the humanities. From memory: a sense of community helps.

>you will never be a yeomen farmer settling the new territory in the west

So every frustrated young man should join a gang? I'm not sure that would solve many problems.

>So every frustrated young man should join a gang?
They would not be frustrated if they already had a community with sense of belonging and so on.

What if they're joining a gang to get that feeling and sense of community?

I'm sure being a hunter-gatherer or even a small farmer dependent on the cycle of seasons was fairly anxiety-inducing. Alienation, on the other hand, is the core of the problem. Technological-humanism essentially casts individuals into a void where meanings aren't given, but made. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, it just so happens that making meaning is really hard, and so most people feel adrift in ennui, until they adopt meanings made by somebody else. In a pre-industrial society, these pre-made meanings would be given to you at birth, and be largely based on natural phenomenon to boot.

Of course it is and you know it. Examples to the contrary may be more visible nowadays, but I'm sure you can think people you know who fit the bill.

Aside from that, simply taking take of your body can have a powerful effect. Mishima had it right, read Sun and Steel.

I've always thought of modern gangs as dysfunctional warrior societies.

Think about it

The average man in history, aside from a few of the elite who had a few professional soldiers to keep order, were farmers. They would work in their field or place of business and would be mostly in control of their lives. It was do or die back then and because of industrialization and unionization and welfare, life is no longer about do or die and so feebler minded people can live in their own world, where they are depressed and don't take care of themselves and jack off to anime

Well in developed countries, the chances of dying are now much more slim, so that should alleviate anxiety. Also, hunters/gatherers probably experienced alienation. For example, ancient man A gathers the least berries of any tribesmen and refuses to hunt because it's too much work and he could never master the spear throw. Ancient men B, C, and D start ridiculing him for his low skill. Humans are humans no matter the time, place, or circumstance. The whole tribe thinks he's a total faggot.

Well back then, if you and yours weren't actively dying, you could be happy and relieved about that. If that shit goes on too long, you start thinking about your 401K.

Alienation, of course.
>lessons from history can be applied to alleviate the stress
I dunno, just don't fall for the romanticism meme.
From a practical point try to make keep in touch with at least a couple of friends.
Take a saturday morning to spend time with your family/significant other/loved ones, whichever.

How to get friends?

>that pic

Literally literally me, but i'm a fat shut in who never goes outside and has no friends

>Has industrial society increased the amount of anxiety and alienation among men in modern society?

Yes, that's what 1890s modernist literature was all about. Mainly written to express people and how strange decisions based on subconscious feelings result in irrational actions and such. The lonely outsider that can't fit for some reason is always the protagonist.

You should read Hamsund's 'Hunger'.

There's probably not much to alleviate it except to think that most people feel this way too. Being the guy breaking into the other lonely outsiders lives might be key.

How so? Which one?

Worker ownership of the means of production.

You think you want a log cabin out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, but you don't

Probably only because more people are living in large cities as opposed to small communities were they know everyone.

>you don't
Why not? Serious question. Is it because you have to work hard? I can deal with that

You need people

Well I am married. We can make our own people

I'll leave this here.

douban.com/group/topic/43140607/

I wish i knew user. I'm just keeping in touch with people i've known since i was a kid.