Tunnels can now breach the surface.
Very buggy. But this is step 1.

new graphics never

What books does /agdg/ recommend?

what is this?

Footh
Vector based terrain editing.

engine?

what does vector based terrain editing even mean?

I want to make an interactive adventure game, where do I start?

Happy New Year, AGDG! Just in case we all aren't around in the next several hours to say it!
Here is to finishing our projects in 2018!
Take this stage boss silhouette teaser. I promise to progress post more often.

Im an engine dev.
C, SDL, OpenGL.
non voxel based.
So its not aligned to a grid. you can move your terrain to make whatever intricate shapes you want.

interesting. How much linear algebra do you have to know in order to build something like that?

so you're just manipulating the vertices of the terrain, adding and removing and what not?

>not Loomis
Do you even meme?

Voxel doesn't mean cube.

Happy new year!

Do you have a demo for next Demo Day?

Damn, I thought you were dead. Glad to be proven wrong!

dot/ cross products is the only slightly tough part, but you make the function once and your done.
vector addition (a0+b0, a1+b1), multiplicatation (a0*s, a1*s) and normaling (a^2+b^2 = c^2) are all brain dead.
then you build upon that to make complex functions like find the scalar at which a ray come within radius of a face.
bary centric coordinates are important too.
aka. a highscool education and a little bit of elbow grease.

>left

That's pretty cool

voxel literly means 3d pixel.
so you can take a voxel based game like minecraft and make graphics like pic related.
But the logistics of the engine is still grid aligned.
Exactly, but its not a heightmap.
Its like any model making software. but there is gravity.
and as faces get to large and small they are automatically split into more/ deleted from existance.

Thanks, i hope to have a demo with mod api out in under 2 months.

Voxel means volume element. And no, usually you don't store just a binary value at each cell. So while the data is stored in a grid, you can have more or less arbitrary surfaces. I think doing things this way is a lot easier than trying to do it with vertex creation/destruction/moving directly.

that's cool user, good luck!

>decide to crunch some numbers to see if unity is worth the money
>discover that by the time I've earn back the money on either Unity subscription, UE4 has already put a lot of dollars in my pocket even with its royalty fee
>it would take thousands of sales before Unity starts earning me more than UE4 would
>at that point, the amount i'd be losing would be insignificant to the amount I'd have earned
Good lord, why would anyone pay for Unity?

Pretty sure you suck at math, user.

Real devs use their own engine.

>volume element
Glad i know that now.
ive thought a lot, a long time ago, about the idea of using complex voxels (not simply full blocks) to try and accomplish what i want.
But i think vector based will be better looking, along with requiring less mem and processing.
I think voxels will quickly become a thing of the past.
Thank you.

Is it better to create a fangame, or a spiritual successor to said game? The company that owns the IP is super cool about fangames and they haven't touched the IP for years. Even more so, this is a spin off of one of their games, so the likelihood of a C&D does not worry me. Specifically this is about taste. I feel like if I create the fangame, it would get better recognition and more people would play it. It'll be free, obviously.
The main issue here is that it's a very niche game, so if I were to create a successor to the game the odds of anyone playing it are slim to none but fangames carry a stigma to them that they will never be better and people end up saying "They should have just created a new game instead of remaking one."

I'm at a loss, but regardless I definitely want my first game to be this.

No, I triple checked. Unity is a bad investment.

>decide to crunch some numbers on Godot
>no matter what I will be making 100% profit even if I only make a single penny.

I'm not even sure it's more efficient. Voxel based methods make editing super fast, it's easy to only regenerate geometry for chunks that were edited, you can do LoD, etc. With a suitable sparse representation it shouldn't take much memory either. Mesh editing is gonna lead to a lot of degenerate and wasteful geometry and it's just plain harder to implement editing operations.

I'm keeping a close eye on Godot. Still waiting for their dynamic GI.

Say what you will about Godot, but Godot's devs are smart. Don't need any royalties or subscriptions when nobody uses your engine.

I would like to have much better music and sound effects for the next demo so there is a good chance it won't happen unfortunately. It affects the overall feel of playing too much for me to not take it seriously anymore.
You are stuck with me for a very long time, user. For better or worse!
I will just go ahead and say thank you. Have a good new year, user!

After reading this you'll never doubt yourself.

I do have an old ass blog but that's all I drew of bat ears loli as of now
hardbloo.tumblr.com/

You sound like you know a thing or 2?
Wanna stop theorizing and join me?

You're an amazing dev with a great game, I'm looking forward to many more awesome progress posts in the future.

>Unity
>pay $125 for a month
>release game
>net profit = 70% of gross - $125

>Unreal
>release game
>net profit = 65% of gross for all time

$2500 is your breakeven point where Unreal starts costing you more than Unity

I can give some pointers.

That's some neat stuff, I like the way you draw. What's the game gonna be about?

don't forget to factor in the money UE4 saves you being a more complete engine and the extra sales from better graphics

I too enjoy posting about things that I have no knowledge of

this makes my dick happy

>a more complete engine and the extra sales from better graphics

Neither of which are true.

All the terrain logic is straightforward. im just debugging my last 2 brushes (deleting small vectors and combining breaching verts).
So i need programmers, not designers.

Don't forget to factor in all the money UE4 costs you in refunds when toasters can't run it.

Unreal takes 5% of gross. Do you have a different figure in mind or are you just funposting?

1-4 main project
5-8 side project
9-0 get drunk and fap til' 2018

>Don't forget to factor in all the money UE4 costs you in refunds when toasters can't run it.
It's a level of market above those interested in $3 asset flips. You wouldn't understand to be frank.

I'm not a designer, that's my dual contouring implementation in C and OpenGL. I don't have it anymore but I remember how I did it.

>Neither of which are true.
UE4 : steamspy.com/app/253230
Unity : steamspy.com/app/360830

It's 5% of gross over $3000 per quarter, so at $2500 you wouldn't pay them a cent.

hat in time is UE3
snake pass is a better comparison
store.steampowered.com/app/544330/Snake_Pass/

Thanks but I wasn't being serious regarding the game.
I don't know a thing about programming but I like drawing. A couple of posts earlier I offered myself to make assets for a visual novel but honestly I'd be happy to help with any game.

that's ue3 you doodoo

Alright, did not know that. So being a failure is less costly and being a success is infinitely more expensive with Unreal.

>C and OpenGL
you fit the bill.
If u want to start working on any aspect of footh lets take this to discord so i can give u my source and help you understand it.

>tfw too stupid to understand programming logic

Making a game in any engine
>>>>
Arguing about engine A vs engine B

>hat in time is UE3
Really? How'd they afford the license for that?

I'd never argue that UE4 is cheaper, I've given them thousands personally, but I believe you also need a valid Unity subscription for as long as you want to update your game.

Sorry for trying to correct someone who was wrong.

If you want to keep your game up to the absolute latest version of Unity, you need an active subscription. If you want a version of Unity you can keep, you need to pay for at least two years.

I think idle animation needs to be more subtle and lengthy, maybe with 2 or 3 poses variations.

Yeah, like they said, looks more like a puppet. Imagine some mechanical doll bouncing.

I wouldn't know how to help with your current implementation, I was thinking more along the lines of helping if you wanted to use dual contouring instead.

I did it /agdg/, I released my game before 2018.

I dont know what that is or how it would help me.
A quick google search makes me think it smooths voxels?
if so, im already 100% commited to vectors. :(

Worst outcome user.

Post game

Nah, you guys would just downvote it into oblivion.

I am openning a wine here, cheers everyone! And happy new years

I'm glad you fear the Reddit army. Smart man.

It's turned 2018 here, so happy new year aggy daggy!

Give me an idea. Please include waifus.

True, but at least I can keep myself entertained.

merry new year witch dev. Looking forward to seeing more progress this year!

How the fuck do I keep track of if I should be using transform.position or transform.localPosition when my objects are being parented and unparented all the time depending on their locations?

CUTE
Happy new year, lilwitchdev!
Have a nice 2018!

You are the waifu and trying to make your husbando happy

you play as an anime girl slowly rotting the inside of a neckbeard's mind

You play as a neckbeard slowly rotting an anime girl's mind.

Happy new year

looks like ass. delete your game faggot

how to kill yourself by user a. mousse

stop posting

holy shit this is atrocious

looks like shit

shut the fuck up no one cares

retard

make a noose

fuck off faggot

here I made your game

that'll be 2 bitcoins

im spending new years with you guys

cmon danny it's new years, calm down

You have to escape from it, or fix it. Escaping from it is route A and always leads to a good end. Trying to fix it is route B, a difficult one with one good ending and multiple bad endings.

>bitcoins

Burning the first proper disc now

If all the CDDA sounds work right out of the box, I can call it a year and spend an eternity uploading all three versions

We dont exist.
Its all in your head

you two should team up

>in your head
zombie
zombie

why am I hearing it?

Because it's a banger

Spiritual successor, no question about it.

>promised myself I'd have a demo of the game I was working on at the time by the end of January
>still no demo
>stopped working on the game before the end of January

who else here /maybedev/ in 2k18?