Antiquity music?

What kind of music did the ancients listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mWYG6r4ClVE
youtube.com/watch?v=wALBdmNBmZI
youtube.com/watch?v=MGWck18jzFA
youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc
youtube.com/watch?v=VyTttB7Kb9o
youtube.com/watch?v=zB49E2ozEPM
youtube.com/watch?v=IKuUQJrZ5SQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zYBTtdD6ti0
youtube.com/watch?v=gGVezj1gmLc
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg3Oj3XYVis
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwEOCR3-REQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fjm9QXUVYLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Roman music were basically African tier.

Ay yo
Hold up
U be sayin
We wuz Roman composers n shiet?

sheeeeiiitt

the closest modern thing we have today to ancient music is arabic /middle eastern music, which is shit

Elaborate.You mean drum heavy beats/ melodies? I thought they were big on Harps too.
this idiot assumes you mean rap, or super strong bass or dumb shit.

ur mum's a shit
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK2LXxcW4E

The Tarantella, for example, is a southern Italian folk music/dance with roots from at least 200BC.

Modern variations only differ in the introduction of (often) accordions, fiddles or other more recent instruments. The tambourine and drum are the old original parts.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWYG6r4ClVE

Syrtos is ancient Greek music/dance (the related Syrtaki, most famous from Zorba's dance, is a faster modern version that combines Syrtos and other styles)

youtube.com/watch?v=wALBdmNBmZI

The ancient Greeks flutes, reed instruments, bagpipes, lyres and drums. They basically fucking invented Western musical scales and modes. Clearly none of you tards ever studied music.

youtube.com/watch?v=MGWck18jzFA

(skip forward a few minutes for the music)

>turkish flok
>ancient greek music

youtube.com/watch?v=QpxN2VXPMLc

Actual archaeologist here. Believe it or not, we know almost exactly what ancient music was like, because there's music embedded in a lot of pottery sherds. When there's music playing when you're shaping clay at a pottery wheel, the vibrations leave trace patterns in the ceramic, which you can then hook up to a modified record player and play, albeit with some distortion. Based on our research, most ancient music sounds a lot like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=VyTttB7Kb9o

That first one sounds fucking bizarre

This might be the most skilled trolling I've ever seen. Impressive.

There's a bunch of text testimony from back then (at-least in the Greeks and Romans) that reference the modes and sounds, and point how they analogously sounded to other common everyday sounds found physically elsewhere, and talk about their melody and how it transitioned in specific instances and what-not. Not to mention there's some inference from lyrical poems and drama verses, as well as the content in them that refer to the exterior music being played at their performances, to give reference with how the melody went. They reference stuff like 'Lydian mode' a lot that still exist in modern music and know how it sounds.

Here's a replication of the Odes of Pindar and how they would of be performed:
youtube.com/watch?v=zB49E2ozEPM

Other samples:
youtube.com/watch?v=IKuUQJrZ5SQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zYBTtdD6ti0
youtube.com/watch?v=gGVezj1gmLc

paean:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg3Oj3XYVis

it's greek m8. obviously it's modern, being a recording and all, but it is based directly back by a chain to the ancient version.

Like ragas, in a way,

kek'd especially because i slightly saw it coming. well played.

The recording of sound could have easily been invented in antiquity. Real shame.

I really like that first one, it's really weird to think that this is the music the founders of the West would be accustomed to. The Seikilos epitaph and Orientis Partibus sound fairly normal though.

How ancient would you say this sounds?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wwEOCR3-REQ
I would go for Sequentia, especially "Lost Songs of a Rhineland Harper" as a good, albeit embellished example of Late antiquity/Early medieval music. I also believe pre-Gregorian chants (see Ensemble Organum) as possibly the closest we will ever get to the music of antiquity.

We have this kind of music called "ojkanje" in Croatia that allegedly descends from Illyrians.
It doesnt sound good but might be interesting to hear.
youtube.com/watch?v=fjm9QXUVYLA

>You now realize much of "Turkey" was originally Greece.

wow, young Croatian women are often pretty hot. I've been balls deep in a couple, myself... but they really don't age well. Yikes.