Why the fuck is this guy so popular, even on this board? He's not even a real historian lmao

Why the fuck is this guy so popular, even on this board? He's not even a real historian lmao

He's good at making History interesting for people with no previous interest or experience in history, something many actual historians aren't good at.

He never claims to be fuckboi but he has the ability to generate interest in history from normies and add some color to events that would normally be overlooked due to the dry delivery of boring ass historians

He literally just summarizes the events and explanations that actual historians write in books. He doesn't even use primary sources, everything he talks about could be found in well-written secondary sources by professionals. In fact most of the times his entire podcast and narrative is structured around like 1-3 books/authors. Might as well just listen to an audiobook for the real thing.

I have no clue. I downloaded a set of his podcasts to listen to when I was driving across the country, but deleted all of it immediately after listening to him suck off Winston Churchill for the better part of an hour.

Yeah, he's a total subscriber to "great man" history and knows very little about social history, and I get the sense that he doesn't care to know about anything but great leaders and wars.

>aspies get mad because people like something they don't like

ok thanks we'll keep that in mind

Not argument.

This entire fucking website is nothing but /pol/ now can we get another purge please

Not everything deserves an argument.

>not subscribing to the great man theory
Hey everbody! We got some kind of fucking nerd over here!

If those men are so great then why do you see multitudes of them in every culture all throughout recorded history?

>I'm not great, so nobody can be great. It's not my fault I've never kissed a girl
Hahaha cry harder bitch nigga.

Who are you quoting?

Here's an easier solution: leave and find a better website if this one's so shit.

Just keep your stupid shit on your stupid shit board

>real historian

But Veeky Forums is leaking everywhere, that's not my fault.

Duncan's a better narrative storyteller than him.

Duncan has gotten a little preachy in his Revolutions podcast. We get it, slavery was bad.

A teacher just summarizes the textbook too, but the difference between a good teacher and a bad one is that a good one can make the summary interesting or animated.

>mouthbreathing

BECAUSE ITS MANLY AND HARDCORE

t. reddit

Actually my issue with that episode was that he ignored all the terrible things Churchill said/did. It would have been interesting if he at least tried to defend Churchill, but he didn't even mention it.

>he's not even a real historian

No shit Sherlock, he's a journalist who loves history, like some of us. But people like you like to bitch and moan about everything "hurr durr he's not a real historian" "what do people think when they don't have the time to read dozens of books about a topic and listen to a podcast instead"

Autists like you piss me so off

It turns out the stories of "great men" and leaders is more interesting, especially to a general audience, than peasant crop cycles in 16th century Poland or whatever the fuck. Who knew?

Not to say that Carlin does a great job at taking a top down view to give a broader look at what he covers thoguh.

Eh, I haven't found it preachy at all. The slaves were a large population and large efforts were made to ignore them which made slave revolts and shit inevitable. He seems to always take it in more of an "I don't agree with it but the times were the times" approach anyway which is perfectly fine.

Look at the Haitian Revolution episodes too which is all a giant slave uprising but he doesn't neglect to mention the various massacres the slave rebels engaged in, the Dessalines' genocide of the white French or the fact that destroying the tools of their oppression fucked Haiti over in the long run either. Same when talking about the beginnings of Spanish America, he doesn't go on some weepy, preachy rants about the evil conquistadors and poor natives and presents things pretty matter of factly. He doesn't really inject his politics into his work too much (and I don't check his twitter or anything so I have no clue what they are) which is nice. I get a story about interesting people and interesting events and that's all I'm really there for.

Only thing he does that annoys me is the fundraisers. I don't know why he doesn't just open a Patreon or something because I'd guess he could probably do well with that and that's one of the few instances where I would encourage/defend having one.

>Eh,

Stop this.

carlin made me interested in Veeky Forumstory, and in effect, made me shitpost in Veeky Forums