Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy

>Buddhism isn't a religion. It's a philosophy.

Other urls found in this thread:

vividness.live/2011/07/05/the-king-of-siam-invents-western-buddhism/
vividness.live/2011/06/21/modern-buddhism-forged-as-anti-colonial-weapon/
vividness.live/2015/09/28/how-asian-buddhism-imported-western-ethics/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is it weird that i know a guy who looks just like that but hes a fundamentalist young earth catholic who thinks psychiatry and neuroscience is trash.

Nobody has said that

O'Reilly said the same thing about christianity. can we get a tipping image of him?

I had a Hindu philosophy prof say this once. It was weird.

It's both, you know.

surely all religions are philosophical.

Yeah but it is a religion.

>surely all religions are philosophical.
Protestantism is just trash.

At it's core, yes. Buddhistic teachings stand on their own on a philosophical basis, still.

yeah but that doesn't mean you can say they aren't religions

oh yeah course, guess we all agree then. new thread?

It is true tho, (Theravada); Buddhism isn't about worshipping God, but practicing the teaching of the Buddha;

It's both. I can say that christianity is the Science of the Cross, and I would be right.

found the Redditors

This is a place for actual discussion about philosophy and religion, not venting because pastor Jones tickled your bung hole.

But not all Philosophies are religions. Rather, I'd suggest that a religion is the combination of a Metaphysic and a Philosophy. This way it answers both the question "why are we here?" and "what should we do?".

who said religion was about god.

When Buddhism first started, there was no element of worship. It was a way of life that acknowledged reincarnation. This would make it incompatible with religions that don't believe in reincarnation. However, those that do can have followers who are both Buddhist and their original religion. Later, however, the spread of Buddhism throughout Asia caused regional variations. Many of these took on more religious elements, some even going as far as to worship Siddhartha as a deity.
tl;dr Buddhism didn't start as a religion but in many cases now is.

(same guy) Eastern traditions often blur the line between religious philosophy and philosophy. For example, many people today still debate whether or not Confucianism is a religion.

you can literally say the same thing about christianity.

i think religions are "ways of life" and if buddhism had any beliefs then it could be considered a religion. Surely it did in order to have a way of life distinct from others.

Here's an interesting blog by actual Buddhist about western pop-Buddhism and its relationship to the original native Buddhism: vividness.live/2011/07/05/the-king-of-siam-invents-western-buddhism/ , vividness.live/2011/06/21/modern-buddhism-forged-as-anti-colonial-weapon/ .

In short, he argues what that is known as Buddhism in the West was largely invented in the 19th century specifically to appeal to European liberal values and was intentionally designed to be a "secular religion". Moreover, he traces the influence of contemporary European philosophy on the new "faith" - vividness.live/2015/09/28/how-asian-buddhism-imported-western-ethics/ .

Why?

The most accurate definition of religion I can muster is "a system of beliefs that aim to explain the metaphysical with the supernatural/spiritual"

Under that definition, yeah Buddhism is a religion. Unless you take out the bits about reincarnation and the like, then it just becomes a philosophy.

>everyone i don't like is reddit and i dont wanna post arguments :(((

Couldn't you say the same about taoism?

They worship a manic-depressive monk named Luther.

I would also throw in a Praxis in there. It's what separates say, David Chalmers from a religious thinker.

XD got em

whats praxis? in my head thats a medical term.