/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

You can make a game with any tools edition!

> Next Demo Day 18 (2 DAYS)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-18

> Play Demo Day 17
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Play Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YH0j8mGeMes
youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM
youtube.com/watch?v=JZc1N3qi1AE
youtube.com/watch?v=jG1f3Cxopvc
youtube.com/watch?v=KODUPUIJdNM
youtube.com/watch?v=-z4_bjyJ4EM
github.com/armory3d/armorpaint
artstation.com/artwork/q5dxN
artstation.com/artwork/3n3R2
artstation.com/artwork/G3eEV
artstation.com/artwork/zY2E6
artstation.com/artwork/oqE3W
twitter.com/artbyrens
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Procedural Dark Souls!

your game will NEVER be as HYPE as this

youtube.com/watch?v=YH0j8mGeMes

>meme grips

Just a friendly reminder that it makes a lot more sense spending a week working in McDonalds to commission those 7 sprites you need than spending 14 years learning to be mediocre at art

Yeah but I only want my own name on the game

Commisioned artwork copyright is automatically assigned to you. Legally, you are not required to credit the artist.

i'd need to work at mcdonalds for 4 years to commission all the sprites i need for the game and that's without covering my living expenses

I'm going to make the millionth done before Crimsonland knock off and there's nothing you fags can do to stop me. Fuck I loved Crimsonland as a wee lad. Played a demo one a disk gaming mags used to send out. Loved it.

>not paying for spritesheets
>not telling artists to draw 4 fps animations to reduce costs substantially
>not inbetweening animation frames yourself to get smooth animations
Where am I, in an amateur game development general thread?

Nice try.

>tfw you'll never be the death grips of game design

if you spend 14 years practising art, and are mediocre at it, you probably shouldn't be into game dev in the first place

>>tfw you'll never be the death grips of game design
source.jpg is the death grips of agdg 2bh

Idea guy here:
Mario Kart except with real weaponry instead of item pickups.

>implying
death grips extremely fringe good stuff, source is both common and bad

Ide gauy here:
Mario except with real shrooms instead of item pickups.

No matter how long you practice you might never be more than decent at art.

Art isn't like programming, where anyone who's capable of basic math and logic can learn to be good at it.

Reposting from yesterday. Anons what do you like better for storing databases? json or XML? I figure json might end up being smaller, but it could be negligible either way and I have a hardon for XML so..

Rock N Roll Racing

But I'd love to see a reboot desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM
Remember to make games using only free software.

>Godot
>LMMS, calf studio and LV2 plugins
>Milky tracker
>GIMP, mypaint, Krita, Inskcape, Aseprite
>Dia
>Pencil2d, Synfig, OpenToon
>Blender and Armor painter
>Open office and dia
>Any ubuntu distro or linux mint

Remember that using free software is ethically and morally correct and frees you of paying expensive licenses and companies sueing you because you pirated their software (It happens).

tinySQL

Give me a free alternative to Marvelous Designer

>godot
Is this seriously the best that communism has to offer?

somewhat entertaining attempt at forcing a meme that involves a modicum of creativity when creating a post, no 2 posts are exactly identical
cancer killing /agdg/

>t. brainlet

>using all this free shit
>charging for your game because you gotta eat

zoz @ the ironing

youtube.com/watch?v=JZc1N3qi1AE

godot is already better than gamemaker and construct for 2D and 3.0 is better than unity.

>teaching people about free software is cancer
enjoy sending your IP to the companies when they accept your cracked serial.

>using another language to write your language
you may as well use gamemaker this is L I T E R A L L Y scripting

both source is fringe and death grips is bad

DKS2 had procedural dungeons. From what I heard Bloodborne too. There's a reason they aren't remembered well

>not making your patreon loli game using only foss

I fucking HATE HATE HATE HATE ATE HATE GIMP

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU GIMP FUCKING KILL YOURESLFFFFFFFFFFFF

Everyone loves binding of isaac, spelunky, etc.

I don't buy that as a good argument.

>i am a newfag and i have shit taste in music
oh huh, well that's too bad i hope you can resolve your problems friendo

If you don't
>live off the land picking fresh fruit every day
>live in a house with no doors
>power your computer with your own hand built wind turbine that anyone can use
>build all your computer parts by hand from the raw materials
can you truly call yourself free?

BoI's "level design" is trash.

Because they are not dark souls. Dark souls is one part good combat (minus the hitboxes), one part interesting world and lore, and one part making your dream build. Two thirds of the game literally cannot be generated well.

Unless we are talking autism levels of generation, like choosing a colour palette, architectural influences, locations, gameflow, etc. But that would be probably bigger in scope than No man's sky, and see how that served them.

i like death grips but you gotta admit its not for everyone and is very hit or miss

>le gimp is bad meme
>doesn't have gimp-plugin-registry gimc and gimp 2.9 installed

Dark Souls has better combat than BOI. That's all that really matters.

>gimp tutorial
>voiceover says "JIMP"

kms

GIMP isn't so bad, if you make good keyboard short cuts. It certainly has a high learning curve if you aren't familiar at all with the sort of software.

This was my experience, at least. Using GIMP at first was really complicated and hard, and now I'm pretty used to it, and it seems to always have a tool for something that I need (although I just do basic pixelshit).

I don’t disagree with le interjection man in principle but most of the best isn’t free software

>godot is already better than gamemaker
It's not, or ecelebs already would make 10000000 guides how to use it on youtube, but only nerds who can't even talk properly and fucking go silent for 10 minutes make videos about it.

What I'm saying is that just making a procedural game with soulslike combat is not procedural dark souls. "Dark souls" is not combat only. I'd play the fuck out of a procedural game with combat this fun (and it is on my dev bucket list) but I wouldn't call it dark souls.

>Basing your opinion of an engine off YouTube videos

youtube.com/watch?v=jG1f3Cxopvc

GM can't even do non garbage 3D.

I used both for a long time and can safely say Godot is better, including the stuff GM is supposedly good at like ease of use and 2D in general.

Good engines like unity and gm got hundreds popular videos
So nothing wrong with it

Fair enough

>It's not, or ecelebs already would make 10000000 guides how to use it on youtube
Am I being meme'd on?

Fuck off underage cretin

GM has been around since 99' and Unity since 05' no wonder they have more videos

>ive never used it but It no have as many yootube videos as my ancient dprecated engine so it bad

When I think of the struggle all of you have to endure every day while searching for success in this madness we call life, tears roll down my face from the realization that there's nothing I can do about that. I've been blessed with amazing talent in arts, programming and good looks, but seeing as most of you are lacking even a single one of those traits, I can barely endure knowing that most of you will never find what you're looking for. However, for whatever it's worth, know that when I succeed, I will remember you when I'm standing atop the corpses of my fallen brothers in arms, reaching for the heavens. Thank you.

>Godot is so cool
>It's just no one ever made a proper game on it
Pathetic

oh no i need to pay $35 a month for unity if i start making the big bux!

Last post on this, I think I'm actually satisfied now. Played more with LPV intensity and added a sharpen material to post-processing, almost forgot about that one. The difference is gigantic! I'll post a tutorial image for it after this for all UE4 devs here, it's very useful.

youtube.com/watch?v=KODUPUIJdNM

>what is protocorgi

he said "made"

Looks like something that could be made on the gm in few days

>should I make the gameplay for my game
>no that would be stupid
>let me spend 4 days on this grass

youtube.com/watch?v=-z4_bjyJ4EM

>using the engine people already identify with asset flips

Here it is. Use it, it's great! UE4 is a bit too blurry by default.

I'm working on other parts as well, but I want to make everything as great as I can.

>listening to the opinion of someone too stupid to stop eating so many calories every day

lol @ fat people

Twist: It's an screensaver "game" where you watch grass grow.

>Armor painter
this looks interesting, does it let me paint straight on the model like 3D Coat does for hand painted textures or is it like substance painter?

While I, personally, am not sure I would spend this much time on trying to make my foliage as photorealistic as possible, I would be lying if i said this looked bad. The only things that look off are the trees, but you already acknowledged that in a different post.

I'm mirin'

Fucking based. Do you have any more images like that ?

github.com/armory3d/armorpaint

>had one of those dudes who has never made a game but think they know everything about gamedev in my forum
>was explaining things on my behalf, telling everyone why parts of the game are like they are due to Unity limitations
>the game doesn't use Unity

Does C# have any sort of double dictionary where both values can act as keys?

I'm associating one type of data with another and different systems request the associated data using both the "key" or "value".

> I play a lot of video games but have no experience in making them.

> here's my opinion anyways.

Thank you. Well, as I said, I want to see what I'm capable of. I want to prove to myself that I can get as good results as people (already professionals actually) who went through a 6-week long CG Master's academy course on vegetation. I did this in like 3-4 days so it's nothing. Now, did I already get to their level, I don't know, but I'm doing my best. Here's a couple of images from people that finished that course:

artstation.com/artwork/q5dxN
artstation.com/artwork/3n3R2
artstation.com/artwork/G3eEV
artstation.com/artwork/zY2E6
artstation.com/artwork/oqE3W

Here's the one for foliage shader setup. I'm using a pretty similar setup.

It looks AAA already, impressive for a single dude on his mother basement.

good job.

Also, go through this guy's Twitter images, some useful tips. Just found pic related, he posted it recently. Fucking based, I'll try it out, could be very useful for my scene.

twitter.com/artbyrens

T-thanks man. I feel like I'm getting a bit too much praise everywhere though.

Just keep in mind that, if you make some parts of your game photorealistic, you're going to have to make sure to keep it up on all parts of the game, otherwise the parts that are less polished are going to feel extremely unpolished for the player, from the contrast. By making the foliage that detailed, you're basically resolving to keeping up that level of detail as the average amount.

It does looks good, so the praise isn't meaningless. I just wish I could find something as good for stylized artstyles.

What's that one supposed to be for though ?

Not him, but you can basically build an entire game with just a dozen or so really good nature assets.

Post anime games

I totally agree with that, yeah. I'll have to invest some more time into hard-surface now, I can even texture it decently I think, but I'm not sure I can make really great hard-surface stuff yet. I was thinking about working on some sci-fi stuff. This gun is the most complicated thing I made I guess. I also have a character base mesh almost finished, haven't touched it for a while though.

Oh, I forgot to say - it's a shader which applies color variations to any model, based on it's world position. Here is his quote:

>One way of adding color variation to your objects based on world position in Unreal engine. You can use it to control other values such as roughness or masks. You can change out the texture for any tiling shape or gradient.

Your models are very nice. I'm confident you can keep the quality up, from the random selections I've seen, it might just be a lot of work making a full game.

Yeah I saw it on his twitter afterwards. Do you think you can still use that technique without relying on world position for the V of the UV ?
I'll probably use that method to add variation to the enemies in my game. I think I could just get away making something like a 64px wide band just for the colors.

How do you guys handle environments as objects using Game Maker? Like, if every tile has a collision, does that mean every tile needs to be its own object with a collision mask? I ask because it seems very inefficient to have a large number of objects with collision code on them.

arrays, like every tilemap game since the dawn of time

i made my first idle animation today.
what do you think?

What do you think of radial menus in PC games?

Elaborate or link to an explanation?

Hey a-a-user you m-m-makeah duh tools for your game so you can workah duh fastuh right?

You mean like gun selection in the lastest GTA ?
I like them for quick stuff but I'm not sure I'd like them for more complex menus. They seem to work really well for consoles as well.

They're fine as long as you have the normal #1-9 key weapon selection as well. I don't use them myself.

Go back to some old forum posts about how people thought of the Oblivion PC port.

Spoilers, they hated it. The UI for Oblivion was really well designed around a controller, but when you move it to a platform that will be using a completely different input method, you should not keep the design for the first input method.

So, radial menus shouldn't be a thing that's required unless a controller is. They're awkward with a mouse, and there's likely a better way to do it.

this is another one I made.

// 0 = unwalkable, 1 = walkable
tilemap[3][3] =
{
{ 0, 0, 0 }
{ 0, 1, 0 }
{ 0, 0, 0 }
}

// player wants to move left
newX = currentX - 1;

if(tilemap[newX][newY] != 0)
{
// move the player
}

>not making your abilities ScriptableObjects

come on.jpg

What if my character is travelling quickly diagonally? What if I want slopes? Old tile map games had slopes.

>platformer
>slopes

missing the point

I had sex with your point last night kiddo

So I added the ability to adjust the power of the thrusters and how much fuel the rocket can have.
Next up is adding risk, like if you go full fuel and full power the rocket might blow up in your face.